• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

My hands are getting ripped appart, shreading, I could do 20 or so when my hands are well. But my hands are shreaded, I tried many different gloves and I always get blisters.

Please help me, which gloves should I buy?

The only gloves that worked for me where Lonsdale neoprene gloves, these worked but fell aprart, Im looking for a longer lasting solution.

AdZTvPg.jpg

Embrace your new hands. If Sphinx can go gloveless (and he plays piano for a living) you have no excuse ;)

Szu

I've been jogging 45 minutes for the last 3 days because the gym here sucks and we've had awesome weather here, I can't miss that out. I can go back to a more intense bulk/lift lifestyle when I go back to dark, cold Germany

Listening to music jogging/running as the intense sun covers me with its energy is one of best things I can think of in all of the fitness cosmos, any training approach or philosohpy.

for the first time ever, I felt like I was going to achieve a complete split. I asked my friend to take video so I could do a capture, upon closer inspection, it's around 85% done but I am happy with it.

kinda offtopic but here it is:

splitcalzadagaf_zpsed61cde5.jpg

I've been doing stretching and exercises to improve flexibility for about 18 months now. When I started I had zero flexibility, just like everybody else with no training in stuff like gymnastics, martial arts or dance.

it has taken a while, I guess a complete split will be achieveble when I hit the 2 year mark, the latest, probably earlier.

Nice, sphinx. Keep it up. I always found that good core flexibility is just as important as core strength.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
FYI guys, when deadlifting at 5 am your grip seems to suffer. At least for me it does. Shit!

Recarpo

Anybody have experience with ProSpot home gyms? I don't have a whole ton of room so a few racks and free weights won't work, but these are supposed to be able to do free weights and cable/stacks. ProSpot HG1.

sphinx

the piano man
Embrace your new hands. If Sphinx can go gloveless (and he plays piano for a living) you have no excuse ;)

a gymbuddy just told me 2 days ago I have the hands of a construction worker because of my calluses :/

I replied saying "excuse me, I have the hands of a pianist that goes on tour abroad" :p

jokes about it aside, I made my research a while ago trying both, glove and gloveless and confirmed that gloves are bad for grip, it's just not a matter of manning up or being badass, the material gloves are made of makes it very slippery and eventually made high-rep pullups and any kind of deadlift a hassle.

admittedly, bare hands was also a pain in the ass but only because of sweaty hands, otherwise it is definitely the way to go. I discovered liquid chalk and it's the best solution. It's cheap on amazon, no reason not to try it. Besides pullups and deadlifts, I can't think of any other move that would make anyone think gloves are necessary.

that being said, if someone wants gloves because they want their hands to look pretty, I'd say man the fuck up, lol.

Even worse, if someone wears gloves because it's a nice accessory to show off while walking in the gym and they think they look badass on the reflection of the mirrors, they REALLY have to get over themselves.

Nice, sphinx. Keep it up. I always found that good core flexibility is just as important as core strength.

I was hoping you'd appear and comment on the split :D

Do you have any pics doing such flexibility moves? I can't quite recognize you in your avatar, is that you?

Lol, have you just had to switch to sweatpants tho?

Yeah, I wear them when I'm at home and on occasion, when going out to the mall/movies/etc. What also sucks is that a majority of my upper body attire is shirts and hoodies. I end up looking like a bum most of the time.

I'm in the exact same boat right now... I'm so fat lol, but these gains. Literally every time I lift I'm going up more and more, catching up to some friends who have been lifting for years, but are too scared to have a high BF%. I'm cutting starting next monday, I'm gonna miss the gains, but wearing jeans again will be nice. I've been stuck in shorts pretty much all winter Lol.

I'm still holding out for February. I've gotten this far, one more month to go. In the end, I will have put on 45 lbs since my leanest in June. A lot of fat, sure but man, I have never lifted as much as I have this year. New PRs in everything.

Forgive me for I have sinned. This past weekend was basically my Christmas with two family parties, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Today weighed in and I lost 4 pounds over the weekend. I am maybe a tad dehydrated I guess, but if I am it is minor at best. I am doing a slow bulk and have clearly failed this weekend at least.

I have one more chance tomorrow night to redeem myself for a failed holiday bulk. Lend me your strength, FallingEdge!

tumblr_mw8t30Bpub1qca0l5o1_500.gif

Ignore the ipad, all I have right now. Started middle of the year and making good progress:

photo_3-2-1.jpg

you look scary as fuck and i mean that in a good way.

Szu

I was hoping you'd appear and comment on the split :D

Do you have any pics doing such flexibility moves? I can't quite recognize you in your avatar, is that you?

Sure, here's a few from a while ago.
kh7fg.jpg

WOfDf.jpg

cxZfI.jpg

tgQqK.jpg

Here's the avatar pic without the cropping and re-sizing.
TsxFAoV.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
holy shit,

*bows down.

fitgaf's king of flexibility, awesome pics Szu. you are an inspiration.

a Van dam sideway split is waaay out of my reach, at least right now... will probably start trying it when the regular split gets boring.

Szu

holy shit,

*bows down.

fitgaf's king of flexibility, awesome pics Szu. you are an inspiration.

a Van dam sideway split is waaay out of my reach, at least right now... will probably start trying it when the regular split gets boring.

Yeah, I transitioned from front splits to the side splits later on in my life. I was always a limber kid, but it was being introduced to guys like Bruce Lee and Tan Tao-Liang made me appreciate the art of kicking.

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah, I transitioned from front splits to the side splits later on in my life. I was always a limber kid, but it was being introduced to guys like Bruce Lee and Tan Tao-Liang made me appreciate the art of kicking.

can you do a hurricane kick?? :O

that'd be awesome!!

SeanR1221

Brolic knows what's up. The stuff he has me doing blew up my upper back. Only going to get bigger with snatch high pulls.

I'm up to wearing XL now. All my larges are too tight in the back and the length is too short

Szu, those pics are badass.

sphinx

the piano man
I've become one of those Hollister muscle fit wearing t shirt scumbags and I love it!

I can see my traps through baggy flannels and sweatshirts. I LOVE IT. ;)

show those gains with pride. It's part of who you are.

I wear shirts that are a perfect fit and I feel good like that. I don't subscribe to the idea of hiding the form of my body.

Gone are those days in which I'd wear shirts that would fit like a bed sheet or a parachute.

While I may not be the biggest guy in the gym, I take pride in having one of the biggest if not biggest butts there. Seriously, it is massive.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
show those gains with pride. It's part of who you are.

I wear shirts that are a perfect fit and I feel good like that. I don't subscribe to the idea of hiding the form of my body.

Gone are those days in which I'd wear shirts that would fit like a bed sheet or a parachute.

The issue with me is that even with my baggy shirts the back and shoulders are tight. With that Duluth XL flannel I just got if I cross my arms in front of me it pulls tight across the upper back but from my chest down its ultra baggy.

I'm fine with that. It's super comfortable and IMO if you can see muscular form under baggy clothes that's pretty impressive.

That said yeah wear what you like! P.s this Duluth trading stuff is awesome.

While I may not be the biggest guy in the gym, I take pride in having one of the biggest if not biggest butts there. Seriously, it is massive.

I know that feel.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I actually witnessed a shady-looking transaction take place in the gym parking on my way home today. Some huge dude was handing a small tub of something from the back of his trunk over to a much smaller guy. I hope it was creatine.

Yo-ho-ho-ho FitGAF!

Just wanted to stop by and wish you a merry christmas! I've appreciated the journey with you guys thus far, in regards of support and the valueble advice and knowledge you've been sharing to help the untrained become more healthy and confident.

Hope all your christmas wishes bore fruitation and you're having a lovely evening with your families!

Best regards from Denmark

J. Bravo

I had to move up to large fitted v necks today. Used to be able to wear mediums lol.

merry Christmas and happy new years guys. All my gains are going the way of the beer.

TopDreg

Merry Christmas Fitgaf from Portland! :)

Thank you for all the advice and inspiration that has been given through this wondrous thread. May we all have good, swole times with our loved ones.

Chocobro

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from NYC! Have a good one guys.

Feels bad to not go to the gym for a few days :( I might have to see if NYU's gyms are open.

Speaking of clothes from earlier, I mostly wear small t-shirts and they give a good snug. I hope to move up to wearing medium sized shirts lol.

Szu and sphinx, very impressive pictures! Would you happen to have links to flexibility stretches you do?

sphinx

the piano man
it's 25th december and the city is dead and it's cold outside, I am drinking coffee, will take breakfast and then begin a new playthrough of resident evil 4 on my Gamecube and I'll experience happiness.

anyone else just staying wrapped under the bed sheets enjoying a good videogame?

after that I'll go with my parents to the park and do some cardio.

merry christmas everyone!

Szu and sphinx, very impressive pictures! Would you happen to have links to flexibility stretches you do?

I'll be honest, I've made up every single stretch move I've been doing all these months,

that or just learning from guys stretching near me and imitating them, lol.

one basic move is putting your leg (ankle) up on a high structure and lean forward to try to touch your knee with your nose, carefully.

There are many others but I'd have a hard time explaining them with words. you are better off looking on youtube or waiting till Szu makes an appearance and share his moves but if his pics are any indication, I think his stretching moves are way too hardcore for all of us but we all have to start somewhere, I guess :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
it's 25th december and the city is dead and it's cold outside, I am drinking coffee, will take breakfast and then begin a new playthrough of resident evil 4 on my Gamecube and I'll experience happiness.

Is that a Christmas tradition for you? Sounds like a damn good one if so!

Chocobro

I'll be honest, I've made up every single stretch move I've been doing all these months,

that or just learning from guys stretching near me and imitating them, lol.

one basic move is putting your leg (ankle) up on a high structure and lean forward to try to touch your knee with your nose, carefully.

There are many others but I'd have a hard time explaining them with words. you are better off looking on youtube or waiting till Szu makes an appearance and share his moves but if his pics are any indication, I think his stretching moves are way too hardcore for all of us but we all have to start somewhere, I guess :)
Ohhh I see. Maybe you can go ahead and make a video showing all your stretches instead of describing them :p Anyway, this is a video my friend sent to me some time ago for leg flexibility. Unfortunately I stopped doing them after a few weeks because I was always short on time every morning due to lab research. I'll probably go ahead and do the stretch you told me and the ones in the video before bed or something. Thanks sphinx! And I shall wait for Szu.

SeanR1221

I think I'm gonna start saving and get some farmers handles by spring time. Should be fun walking around the neighborhood with them.

I have trouble finding energy in the morning (my only free time to workout) to go to the gym and lift weights. I cannot eat a lot because I feel sick with much in my stomach. Is there a pre-workout mix anyone recommends for quick energy for an hour long workout? Just looking to get back in shape and lose some of this holiday flab.

GabDX

Banned
I have trouble finding energy in the morning (my only free time to workout) to go to the gym and lift weights. I cannot eat a lot because I feel sick with much in my stomach. Is there a pre-workout mix anyone recommends for quick energy for an hour long workout? Just looking to get back in shape and lose some of this holiday flab.

Can't you just workout at some other time? Personally I feel like I need two good meals to have enough energy for a good workout.

sphinx

the piano man
For anyone considering buying some lifting shoes, I wrote about the Adidas Power Perfect 2s on my blog: http://www.chocolatejetpack.com/post/71141420262/adidas-power-perfect-2-0-and-the-revelation-of

But cliffnote version: good shoes did for my feet what liquid chalk did for my hands/grip :)

considering I've been using my running shoes for lifting all this time, I am in urgent need of something like those shoes. thanks a lot for sharing your review.

one question, how are those shoes for, say, running on a treadmill for 10 minutes at 8~9 mph? can I run with them or are they strictly for lifting?

and man, you've been squatting for only 3 years and you are at x2.5 bodyweigh?? that's pretty good, I started squatting a year ago and I am at x1.45 bodyweight right now.

SeanR1221

considering I've been using my running shoes for lifting all this time, I am in urgent need of something like those shoes. thanks a lot for sharing your review.

one question, how are those shoes for, say, running on a treadmill for 10 minutes at 8~9 mph? can I run with them or are they strictly for lifting?

and man, you've been squatting for only 3 years and you are at x2.5 bodyweigh?? that's pretty good, I started squatting a year ago and I am at x1.45 bodyweight right now.

They tend to be strictly for lifting. I don't even like driving or walking in my squat shoes so I bring them seperately and only wear them for squatting.

moocow

Hit 1000 on my powerlifts! I had to brag about that somewhere because that was one of my major milestones,

280 bench
310 squat
410 deadlift.

Great way to end the year.

sphinx

the piano man
They tend to be strictly for lifting. I don't even like driving or walking in my squat shoes so I bring them seperately and only wear them for squatting.

wow, then it's really an investment. I assume it's just for barbell exercises, right?

I checked german amazon and they are quite expensiive but the liquid chalk analogy is an eye opener, I must say.

besides, if I only use them in the gym and inside the power rack, they will surely last a decade, right?

I use Chuck Taylor's. They're good enough for me.

yeah, some guys use them in my gym and I think oohthegore here in the thread has shown pics using them.

but I'd rather have something like this, I'd like to keep using black if possible

41EspGEgu9L.jpg

they are called adidas powerlift 2, not the same shoes of Great King Bower's review though. I wonder if they are as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom