• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldn't! You're Fing strong!! Get used to it.

that's incredible man, congrats

Me too, man! Hitting that triple digit DB on flat bench was a big thing to me. I remember looking at guys doing over 100lb dumbbell bench the first time I walked in a gym and thinking "I'll never be able to do that."

can't wait to max out on them too. I think the most at our gym is 120 lbs.

As for my goals, I don't know about next year but I want a 400/500/600 bench/squat/deadlift.

sphinx

the piano man
dammit... yesterday I recorded video of my current squat PR again and my feet are still unstable..., they move like a cradle and in worst case, heel goes up.

I wonder if the squat shoes would make a difference, cause I believe it's not a matter of me getting ahead of myself with the weight, I have it in me to do 5x3 with 225 lbs, I can take on it but my feet won't stay put.

I wonder what's the best course of action here.

On the one side, breaking PRs and haveing less than perfect form is kind of expected so I could/should stay there and work on it. On the other side, deloading a bit would certainly help me be more in control of my movement at semi-high weigths.

what I noticed yesterday is that minor things make a difference. whenever I actively thought of opening my chest when I am down, ATG, the barbell was good and on the vertical and my feet would stay put. A wider stance (more space between feet) also helped a bit.

Any of you ever eat during the day like you're going to smash at the gym at night, but then not go work out? Happened to me last night. I had my preworkout mixed and ready, gym clothes with me, etc. Then my lady and I decided to eat instead, haha. Feelsbadman.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dammit... yesterday I recorded video of my current squat PR again and my feet are still unstable..., they move like a cradle and in worst case, heel goes up.

I wonder if the squat shoes would make a difference, cause I believe it's not a matter of me getting ahead of myself with the weight, I have it in me to do 5x3 with 225 lbs, I can take on it but my feet won't stay put.

I wonder what's the best course of action here.

On the one side, breaking PRs and haveing less than perfect form is kind of expected so I could/should stay there and work on it. On the other side, deloading a bit would certainly help me be more in control of my movement at semi-high weigths.

what I noticed yesterday is that minor things make a difference. whenever I actively thought of opening my chest when I am down, ATG, the barbell was good and on the vertical and my feet would stay put. A wider stance (more space between feet) also helped a bit.

Ever thought about getting barefoot shoes like Vibrams?

Those are what I use and my feet are pretty stable on the ground. Of course, I'm not lifting as much as you.

6 weeks left of my bulk.

Total bulk time= 7 months
Started weight= 77 KG
Expected ending weight= 87 Kg

How do I start a cut after that? Do I skip the gym and eat normally for 2 weeks and then start the cut? Meaning train normally but with added Hiit and eating less? Planning to cut for 3 months and hopefully lose 6 kg of fat

OG Kush

6 weeks left of my bulk.

Total bulk time= 7 months
Started weight= 77 KG
Expected ending weight= 87 Kg

How do I start a cut after that? Do I skip the gym and eat normally for 2 weeks and then start the cut? Meaning train normally but with added Hiit and eating less? Planning to cut for 3 months and hopefully lose 6 kg of fat

DOn't skip gym. Keep going gym but keep your calories at maintenance for a few weeks so your body gets adjusted and then slowly lower calories. Thats for optimum results. You can go straight into a calorie deficit and get good results, but it harms your metabolism more.

Zibrahim

Not a reg here but I just have a question.

Will this plan/schedule make me leaner or will I actually build muscle as I do this? I want to be strong and lean not just one or the other.

Strength Circuit #1

1A. 10+ push-ups
1B. Max rep pull-ups (weighted if pull-ups are easy for you. Inverted rows if pull-ups aren’t available to you yet)
1C. 15 box jumps

Strength Circuit #2

2A. 10 DB/Barbell/KB clean-and-press
2B. 8 Step-up to balance, each leg
2C. 30s plank crawl (move forward/backward and side-to-side)

Strength Circuit #3

3A. 10 hanging knee/leg raises or toes-to-bar
3B. 10 cable chops, each side
3C. 15 KB swings
(optional: 15 burpees)
4. Stretch

Workout Schedule:

Monday – Strength Circuits
Tuesday – Hill Workout
Wednesday – Rest
Thursday – Sprints/Intervals
Friday – Strength Circuits
Saturday – Endurance Run
Sunday – Rest

Hi GAF,

5"11 and weigh 176 lbs here. I'm in pretty good shape except I have the ugliest belly. I'm so done with it, I've decided to eat better and exercise. From my research it looks like I'll need to drop some pounds, I understand I can't target the belly. Here's what I've been doing:

Eating a lot of salads (no or light dressing using lemon and vinegar) with tuna or baked chicken (no skin).

Mornings consist of a small bowl of low fat Greek yogurt with liw fat oatmeal. One or two apples or pears.

I'll also have 3/4 boiled eggs to change it up other days.

Typical lunches are now a small bowl of cherry tomatoes with a slice of brown bread.

Dinners been more chicken or I'll bake some white fish with vegetables.

No more alcohol, snacks or sweets. More importantly no more overeating. I'll cheat on NYE though.

I run 4/5 days at the gym for about 15/20 minutes, then do some heavy and light lifting. I also stretch to straighten my back - the belly might of given me lordosis (and I work in IT sitting down all day).

I'm on a calorie deficit diet, until my belly is gone. How am I doing? Any additions?

SeanR1221

Great, thanks guys!

Guess I'll continue ironing out these kinks. I'll get it in due time.

Sounds like others have you covered. The video Brolic posted is a big help. Keeps you really tight and allows you to sit back more. From your own video you still seem to be pulling too much with your back and not sitting back enough. Don't worry, you'll get it :)

Maybe tape yourself doing really light weight to make sure your form is good there?

Not a reg here but I just have a question.

Will this plan/schedule make me leaner or will I actually build muscle as I do this? I want to be strong and lean not just one or the other.

Strength Circuit #1

1A. 10+ push-ups
1B. Max rep pull-ups (weighted if pull-ups are easy for you. Inverted rows if pull-ups aren’t available to you yet)
1C. 15 box jumps

Strength Circuit #2

2A. 10 DB/Barbell/KB clean-and-press
2B. 8 Step-up to balance, each leg
2C. 30s plank crawl (move forward/backward and side-to-side)

Strength Circuit #3

3A. 10 hanging knee/leg raises or toes-to-bar
3B. 10 cable chops, each side
3C. 15 KB swings
(optional: 15 burpees)
4. Stretch

Workout Schedule:

Monday – Strength Circuits
Tuesday – Hill Workout
Wednesday – Rest
Thursday – Sprints/Intervals
Friday – Strength Circuits
Saturday – Endurance Run
Sunday – Rest

You'll just lose weight doing that. You won't get stronger. Well, not significantly stronger at least.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So nice when people are just staring to wait for you to finish on the squat rack. I went as fast as I could and I could tell this girl was annoyed waiting. Then right before I'm done she says shes doing squats. I told her all you had to do was ask if you wanted to work in. Dunno why but am pretty annoyed about that. For reference, I was on week 2 of 5/3/1 BBB did warmups, 5/3/1 set, and finally volume.

Edit: Also I would have asked but I assume she was doing deads or somethin else hence why she was staring. Also she ended up working in with the other guy waiting lol.

Updates. Currently at 163, trying to get up to 175 before I cut to play club football.

Not really concerned about my waist right now since my only goal is to put on as much mass as possible, I know fat gain is inevitable and I'll be doing a hard cut as I try to add explosiveness during the spring. I've been doing WSSB but I'm gonna switch to P.H.A.T. because it's a better hypertrophy routine.

Current stats:

Bench: 265x4 (haven't maxed in awhile but I'm gonna guess 295-300)
Squat: 365
Deadlift: Did 375 after doing working sets and failed halfway through 385 so I think it's far to say I'm at 385

Also, quick question: chest fat or gyno? I'm guessing the former but I'm not entirely sure.

Looking great dude , mirin' those stats.

I'm down to 81,3 kg, lost 6 kg on this cut thus far while maintaining strength.

efzMUhj.jpg

I'm starting to believe Evilore was right, and when I eventually finish my cut I'll see some lose skin around my abdomen.

Just bought these new track and field compression pants today. Had no idea they accentuated my quads this much.

So nice when people are just staring to wait for you to finish on the squat rack. I went as fast as I could and I could tell this girl was annoyed waiting. Then right before I'm done she says shes doing squats. I told her all you had to do was ask if you wanted to work in. Dunno why but am pretty annoyed about that. For reference, I was on week 2 of 5/3/1 BBB did warmups, 5/3/1 set, and finally volume.

Edit: Also I would have asked but I assume she was doing deads or somethin else hence why she was staring. Also she ended up working in with the other guy waiting lol.

At least you don't do curls in the squat rack.

People sometimes do that in my gym.

I try not to let my annoyance show on my face but I know it does.

Nelo Ice

Banned
At least you don't do curls in the squat rack.

People sometimes do that in my gym.

I try not to let my annoyance show on my face but I know it does.

It happens all the time at my gym. There's a calf raise machine they sit on and they just stare intently at you hoping you'll go away. It's like if you just ask I'll gladly let you work in. Sometimes I just straight up ask did you want to work in or something then they just say no and continue to stare lol.

It happens all the time at my gym. There's a calf raise machine they sit on and they just stare intently at you hoping you'll go away. It's like if you just ask I'll gladly let you work in. Sometimes I just straight up ask did you want to work in or something then they just say no and continue to stare lol.

I frequently offer to let people work-in with me when they're waiting around. Personally, if I need the squat rack and it's full, I'll come over and ask the person (when they're in-between sets) how many more sets they expect to have and then regardless of their answer tell them to take their time/I'm in no rush. I don't want to rush anyone ever because it fucking sucks to feel pressured when you're lifting heavy, but it also helps me to know roughly how many more sets they'll have so I can decide if I want to wait or just go lift something else.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I must admit that I have seen many a body weight exercise guy at the gym.

spootime

I love the /fit/ comics from sir.

To those who have adipower lifting shoes - does it take a while to get used to them for squats? I'm getting them in the mail on the same day as my 1 rep squat day on 5/3/1. I'm not sure if I should use them on that day or just use my upcoming deload week to get very used to them.

goals for june 2014 (competition day)
b: 325 paused
s: 465
dl: 485+
ohp: idk 225?
id really like to get a 1275 total @ 198 because the usapl raw junior record in my state is 1273. Id have until november to get those #'s though but id like to beat them by that time. bench press record (405) is completely unachievable tho lol.

Samara

nothing. Its just stupid to hit the gym for a purely bodyweight routine.

ok I agree. But giving them the benefit of the doubt, i'd say they have a small apartment.

less obnoxious than seeing some guy having a friend dribble a 10 lbs medicine ball on his abs while he does crunches. I laughed so much

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ok I agree. But giving them the benefit of the doubt, i'd say they have a small apartment.

less obnoxious than seeing some guy having a friend dribble a 10 lbs medicine ball on his abs while he does crunches. I laughed so much

I agree. And honestly, I'm not hating on anyone doing body weight exercises in the gym. I think body weight exercises are great and I do them, too. I wouldn't sign up for a gym just for a space to do them and not take advantage of the other equipment, personally, but I'm not judging anyone who is actually trying to better themselves. I honestly thought nothing of it until I saw it pointed out in that comic.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My grip is officially insane (for me at this point) locked out 565 deadlift (new max with technique tweaks) then held it there for 10 seconds. Only put it back down because I remembered I had 3 more sets and pendlay rows left to do lol. Could have held it much longer. And now at the end of the day my hands forearms don't even feel bad.

Them farmer walks working magic.

OG Kush

My grip is officially insane (for me at this point) locked out 565 deadlift (new max with technique tweaks) then held it there for 10 seconds. Only put it back down because I remembered I had 3 more sets and pendlay rows left to do lol. Could have held it much longer. And now at the end of the day my hands forearms don't even feel bad.

Nice! Is farmer walks basically all you do for grip strength?

I need to start doing those, my left hand grip fails while my right hand succeeds and that shit will not fly anymore.

Groof

So I got a pair of gym gloves as a Christmas present and I remember the OP not being all too hype on using gloves. Is it really unadvisable to use them?

So I got a pair of gym gloves as a Christmas present and I remember the OP not being all too hype on using gloves. Is it really unadvisable to use them?

Personally I tried not to use gloves for awhile so I could build callouses on my hands.

But if you don't want to go through the shredding I wouldn't think less of you for it.

sphinx

the piano man

they are PERFECT for doing calf raises and the abductor/adductor machine.

lolno seriously, use them for things that don't require barbell/dumbbell, like cable stuff, bodyweight exercises and such.

Do you guys hear that? Yep, it's the sound of the Resolutionists preparing to arrive this coming week. Enjoy the last non-crowded weekend we'll have at the gym for the next month or two, FitGAF.

SeanR1221

Do you guys hear that? Yep, it's the sound of the Resolutionists preparing to arrive this coming week. Enjoy the last non-crowded weekend we'll have at the gym for the next month or two, FitGAF.

I've already seen a couple comments on Facebook like "new sneakers for Christmas can't wait to start working out again next week!"

My body is ready

I've already seen a couple comments on Facebook like "new sneakers for Christmas can't wait to start working out again next week!"

My body is ready

Haha i was just thinking when this topic was going to come up. On the bright side the new comers probably won't be near the squat rack so it won't worry me.

The gyms i go to are a ghost town on weekends. Even with this i doubt they'll be very busy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nice! Is farmer walks basically all you do for grip strength?

I don't even train grip and I don't do FW for grip. It's a total body strength/conditioning exercise. The benefits to grip are a nice bonus.
I need to start doing those, my left hand grip fails while my right hand succeeds and that shit will not fly anymore.

The benefits far exceed grip but definitely should be a staple in every program IMO. DB farmer walks anyone can do. So it's an easy thing to implement. I personally went out and bought legit strongman handles that are 86 lbs apiece before adding weight.

SeanR1221

Gainz gainz gainz. Started 5/3/1 with a 1rm of 205 on bench. That was my 1s day and I got 5.

Time to celebrate with a big ass pasta and chicken meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom