• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Fellas!
Good to see you all It sucks that I am back in the fold with a damn injury but alas thats the way it goes.

I was doing DL's about 2 months ago when I felt a little twinge in my lower back on the left side and it has basically stopped me from doing any deadlifts and is still giving me issues when doing squats. Sucks so bad.

Any of you guys feel anything like this? It doesn't really hurt until I finish a squat and go to rack it or when I finish a DL and lockout. Feels like maybe a strained tendon but I can't tell.

This is incredible man. I want that setup so bad

Yes and it ended up being a herniated disc for me :/

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Might be a dumb question, but the program in the OP, what should be the starting weight? I mean, I know everyone is different and the starting weight will be different, but how do I figure out mine? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Might be a dumb question, but the program in the OP, what should be the starting weight? I mean, I know everyone is different and the starting weight will be different, but how do I figure out mine? Thanks.

Start VERY low. It escalates quickly and gives you time to hit what you need. You'll be where you need to be in a week at most if you follow the directions and start low. Yes, LOW. Even lower than you think. Trust us.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Start VERY low. It escalates quickly and gives you time to hit what you need. You'll be where you need to be in a week at most if you follow the directions and start low. Yes, LOW. Even lower than you think. Trust us.

Ok, I figured that might be the case. Will listen. Thanks dude.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I figured that might be the case. Will listen. Thanks dude.

Also look at it this way. You're in no rush--you will have lots of time at the right weights to spend, enjoy the 'easy nights' while you have em. Welcome to CLUB MUSCLE!

MUSCLE POWER! MUSCLE POWER!
STRIATIONS!
FLEX!
EXPLOSIVE QUADS!
MUSCLE POWER FIT-GAF FOREVER!

SeanR1221

I'm suspecting the same :( what was your recovery time did you just stay baby it for a while?

Do you have any leg pain ever? Mine was pressing on a nerve and giving me shooting leg pain and numb feet. A lot of people have disc issues, they just don't notice till they have it press on a nerve.

As for recovery, I did t do any squatting or deadlifting for like...3 months or so, spent a month in PT learning new techniques and stretches (my PT was a former competitive power lifter and really cool) and just now am I hitting about the same strength levels.

Do you have any leg pain ever? Mine was pressing on a nerve and giving me shooting leg pain and numb feet. A lot of people have disc issues, they just don't notice till they have it press on a nerve.

As for recovery, I did t do any squatting or deadlifting for like...3 months or so, spent a month in PT learning new techniques and stretches (my PT was a former competitive power lifter and really cool) and just now am I hitting about the same strength levels.

Hmm I'm not having any lower leg pain maybe I just have a strained tendon.

Chocobro

Hey thanks! I'm very internally motivated, but sometimes it sucks to always work out alone. Need a place to share my "swole" problems and victories.
I can see what you mean. When I go to the university gym, I don't generally talk to people and do my own thing. My friends go at different times so I don't have anyone to chat with. However here is definitely the place to share problems and victories; most, if not all, of us can relate, help, and understand.
Also look at it this way. You're in no rush--you will have lots of time at the right weights to spend, enjoy the 'easy nights' while you have em. Welcome to CLUB MUSCLE!

STRIATIONS!
FLEX!
EXPLOSIVE QUADS!
Boy do I miss your posts haha.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

STRIATIONS!
FLEX!
EXPLOSIVE QUADS!

Yeah man, I know this is marathon and I'm in for the long haul. Definitely not going to try and be a strong man in my first week.

mt1200

So.. I was told that you need about 1 year, one damn year to get ripped abs.

This makes me lose motivation, one of the main reasons I joined the gym is to get ripped abs fast, have you guys got yours in less time?.

Servbot24

Banned

This makes me lose motivation, one of the main reasons I joined the gym is to get ripped abs fast, have you guys got yours in less time?.

it's probably possible depending where you are right now... but if you do anything to "get ripped fast" you're in for a rude awakening. you get ripped through hard work and patience.

Sup muscle men of Gaf.

So, lately I've let myself go a little, in terms of eating and such. I'm 6' 3" and 210~ right now. Most of you probably think that's a fine weight and all, but I'm like no muscle anymore. This past summer I did a good bit of running everyday after work, and got down to about 190-195ish, which was real nice. I ended up getting some aggravating shin splints that wouldn't go away so that slowed me down a bit. Then class started up again and I have done nothing but play a crap ton of video games and eat a ton of food.

So, I'm at that point where i can consciously tell that my belly is big, my shirts/pants feel a lil tighter, sitting down I can feel that really annoying fold UGH :(. Anyway, I have no idea where to start. Unlike a lot of people, I enjoy cardio more than lifting but, I know both are part of the equation (and to stop eating so much shit). I can go to my campus gym, or I might get a membership with some other friends of mine at their gym.

So yea, time to get started, but I don't know where to start.

Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 210~
Goal: I'd like to be around 190~ but I know muscle weighs more than fat so if I'm going to weigh 210, I'd like it to NOT be fat. Or I don't know, what's a good weight?
Current Training Schedule: Sitting on my ass, consider me beginner-ish, have all the time in the world.
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym, Tracks nearby, anything.
Comments: I hate benching, I don't know why but it makes me feel very uncomfortable. Maybe I can work my way into confidence with it, but as of right now I'd prefer free weights. And like I said earlier, I'd prefer a cardio heavy routine. Also hate treadmills so I'd be running on a track.

Any help would be appreciated. I've got the drive to do it I just need a push in the right direction. Thanks guys :)

Cudder

Do P90x and eat right. Unless you're morbidly obese I'm pretty sure you can get abs in under a year. Though, if your only goal is to get abs, you should note your body composition might be a little "off". To actually look good, with muscle and getting ripped, that takes noticeably longer.

Sup muscle men of Gaf.

So, lately I've let myself go a little, in terms of eating and such. I'm 6' 3" and 210~ right now. Most of you probably think that's a fine weight and all, but I'm like no muscle anymore. This past summer I did a good bit of running everyday after work, and got down to about 190-195ish, which was real nice. I ended up getting some aggravating shin splints that wouldn't go away so that slowed me down a bit. Then class started up again and I have done nothing but play a crap ton of video games and eat a ton of food.

So, I'm at that point where i can consciously tell that my belly is big, my shirts/pants feel a lil tighter, sitting down I can feel that really annoying fold UGH :(. Anyway, I have no idea where to start. Unlike a lot of people, I enjoy cardio more than lifting but, I know both are part of the equation (and to stop eating so much shit). I can go to my campus gym, or I might get a membership with some other friends of mine at their gym.

So yea, time to get started, but I don't know where to start.

Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 210~
Goal: I'd like to be around 190~ but I know muscle weighs more than fat so if I'm going to weigh 210, I'd like it to NOT be fat. Or I don't know, what's a good weight?
Current Training Schedule: Sitting on my ass, consider me beginner-ish, have all the time in the world.
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym, Tracks nearby, anything.
Comments: I hate benching, I don't know why but it makes me feel very uncomfortable. Maybe I can work my way into confidence with it, but as of right now I'd prefer free weights. And like I said earlier, I'd prefer a cardio heavy routine. Also hate treadmills so I'd be running on a track.

Any help would be appreciated. I've got the drive to do it I just need a push in the right direction. Thanks guys :)

If you're 6'3 and 210, in my opinion, don't worry about bulking or cutting. Just get into a workout regimen, eat well and see what happens in the next few months. Cardio is nice for losing weight, but it comes down to diet more than anything.

Just going to shoot straight with you, you'll probably have to do some things you hate if you want to get in shape.

Nothing wrong with free weights, most people think they are far superior (because they are).

I'd begin with a program like starting strength and do cardio on the off days.

Bad news. My arms are out of commission for a few weeks.

So what do I do now? D:

Squat and squat some more. Smolov time!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You can get magic abs quick if you truly fix your diet, don't cheat, and stay working hard.

Every day you fuck around though and don't work towards that is a failed day. A complete waste. Start TOMORROW. Have you educated yourself about how diets really work? There's a lot of new faces in here I don't recognize so accept my apologies if you have, but I just want to make sure - you're planning on eating clean, like actually clean, not like "fruit smoothie #cleaneating" clean...right?

Cos if you need more info on diet and how to make that shit work for you, you're in the right place. Just throw up the bat-signal. Bicep-signal. Whatever!

rage1973

If you have a completely dialed in diet with a good 3-4 days a week heavy weight workout regimen, there isn't a reason why you couldn't get ripped abs in 6 months.

This is going to sound really dumb, but has anyone ever gotten shoulder pain from doing squats? My shoulder flexibility isn't the best and holding the bar behind my head was very uncomfortable. After a few week of doing squats I thought it would get better, but it really hasn't. I may have to take a break from doing squats until it feels better.

Do shoulder dislocations and start with your hands a bit wider while you warm up so your shoulders have time to stretch out. Mine are out pretty far when I start with 135 but they move a bit closer each warmup set, and by the time I'm at a working weight they're fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvfAPqCBjdw

The key is to keep your elbows locked and feel the stretch in your delts as you bring your arms back. As you loosen up keep bringing your hands closer.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Are there any GNC coupons at the moment? I don't know where else to be getting decent prices on those damn Quest bars without a coupon handy... Even Amazon is significantly pricier.

Servbot24

Banned
Are there any GNC coupons at the moment? I don't know where else to be getting decent prices on those damn Quest bars without a coupon handy... Even Amazon is significantly pricier.

Sign up for their email list, they have new online deals pretty much every week. Occasionally they have Buy 1 Get 1 sales which is when I stock up.

If you have a completely dialed in diet with a good 3-4 days a week heavy weight workout regimen, there isn't a reason why you couldn't get ripped abs in 6 months.

Yeah he could get the abs but without the muscle mass everywhere else it will just look stupid. Abs are like a finishing touch.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Bryce Lewis posted a video, "The Strength Athlete - Deadlift Cues!"

Deadlift Cues/Exercises
  • Eyes closed
  • Press through the mid-foot
  • Pull from base of the cervical spine
  • Glutes are your friend
What are your opinions?

I like the pressing through the mid-foot and glutes cues.

The latter especially helped my lockout A LOT as I continue to try to improve my deadlift form.

I feel a lot more explosive when I think about pushing through with my glutes once the bar clears my knees. Still gotta work on that hamstring flexibility at the bottom so I can get a little lower and use my legs a bit more, though.

ZeroRay

Yes and it ended up being a herniated disc for me :/

Now yall got me scared that I have a herniated disc. I feel some pain in the middle and to the right of my lower back, on level with my hipbones. Doctor said it's a strain but I really need a second opinion.

No pain or tingling on usual lower back herniated disc spots though.

Imm0rt4l

Fellas!
Good to see you all It sucks that I am back in the fold with a damn injury but alas thats the way it goes.

I was doing DL's about 2 months ago when I felt a little twinge in my lower back on the left side and it has basically stopped me from doing any deadlifts and is still giving me issues when doing squats. Sucks so bad.

Any of you guys feel anything like this? It doesn't really hurt until I finish a squat and go to rack it or when I finish a DL and lockout. Feels like maybe a strained tendon but I can't tell.

I have pretty much the exact same problem. One week I hit a pr on squat of 405x10. The next week I was really feeling myself, dropped too fast, exploded out the hole too fast and I lost flexion in my lumbar=snap city. I've been front squatting for a little over a month now and I try not to deadlift. Yesterday I deadlifted and I was hoping that I'd still be able to touch my toes in the morning, luckily the pain today isn't nearly as severe as it was more than a month ago. When I first injured myself, I couldn't touch my toes without being in so much pain, I lost sooo much flexibility in my lower back(apparently its the bodies way of preventing you from injuring yourself further). I did a couple back squats like a week ago because fuck front squats, and the weight didn't feel terrible, but I had no muscular endurance, I'd hit 405 for 3, and then 315 for 3...wtf. I'm just going to stick to front squats and deadlift accessory work for another month while continuing to stretch. I think if I can increase the plasticity of my lower back ligaments then it'll go a long ways as far as strength in concerned. So my goal is to become flexible as fuck.

I have pretty much the exact same problem. One week I hit a pr on squat of 405x10. The next week I was really feeling myself, dropped too fast, exploded out the hole too fast and I lost flexion in my lumbar=snap city. I've been front squatting for a little over a month now and I try not to deadlift. Yesterday I deadlifted and I was hoping that I'd still be able to touch my toes in the morning, luckily the pain today isn't nearly as severe as it was more than a month ago. When I first injured myself, I couldn't touch my toes without being in so much pain, I lost sooo much flexibility in my lower back(apparently its the bodies way of preventing you from injuring yourself further). I did a couple back squats like a week ago because fuck front squats, and the weight didn't feel terrible, but I had no muscular endurance, I'd hit 405 for 3, and then 315 for 3...wtf. I'm just going to stick to front squats and deadlift accessory work for another month while continuing to stretch. I think if I can increase the plasticity of my lower back ligaments then it'll go a long ways as far as strength in concerned. So my goal is to become flexible as fuck.

Dammmn Immortal this is exactly it. I have truly abysmal hip flexibility as well and I think that is what ultimately led to my injury. Looks like I will be supplementing leg day with a yoga exercise by two new Zealand guys that wear lion outfits.

SeanR1221

Dammmn Immortal this is exactly it. I have truly abysmal hip flexibility as well and I think that is what ultimately led to my injury. Looks like I will be supplementing leg day with a yoga exercise by two new Zealand guys that wear lion outfits.

Have you guys considered getting MRIs? If your insurance covers it of course.

I had trouble turning my neck, and like I said, leg pain.

It's not nearly as bad now. It flaired up really bad last week when I was squatting close to my max, but I think I lost some serious lumbar support and had butt wink which didn't help.

I will say this week, improving my form, my lower back feels great.

Irobot82

Woof. Week 2. No more DOM's yay! Only the euphoric feeling of intensely exercised muscle.

Squat 3x5 @ 200lbs
Pendlay Row 3x5 @ 110lbs
Deadlift 1x5 @ 265lbs

mt1200

Cos if you need more info on diet and how to make that shit work for you, you're in the right place. Just throw up the bat-signal. Bicep-signal. Whatever!

I'll try but it's not as easy as it sounds, I work inside an industrial park, so there aren't so many food options over here besides my employeer's shitty lunch court which serves tons of carbs, so I always try to ask only for meat + veggies .

There are some days like today for example, in which I have no time to eat breakfast at home (My monday-friday breakfasts are either hard boiled eggs or tofu, both with nothing but soy sauce or salt, no bread) , so I have to eat greasy /carbsy empanadas at my workplace.

I've heard that interval training is a better option to burn my stored fat, i'll ask my gym instructor tonight to see if there are any HIIT cardio routines that a newbie like me can follow.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'll try but it's not as easy as it sounds, I work inside an industrial park, so there aren't so many food options over here besides my employeer's shitty lunch court which serves tons of carbs, so I always try to ask only for meat + veggies .

There are some days like today for example, in which I have no time to eat breakfast at home (My monday-friday breakfasts are either hard boiled eggs or tofu, both with nothing but soy sauce or salt, no bread) , so I have to eat greasy /carbsy empanadas at my workplace.

I've heard that interval training is a better option to burn my stored fat, i'll ask my gym instructor tonight to see if there are any HIIT cardio routines that a newbie like me can follow.

Brah don't get yourself down, you can strip carbs off of a lot of stuff. Also you may want to look into Intermittent Fasting, it sounds (thanks to your job) that it might be ideal for this situation.

One thing that gets me a fast, simple breakfast is jalapeno pepper jack cheese and hard salami. Make a worthless little sandwich (no bread, cheese is the bread) and eat while you drive brother! It takes about 1 minute to put it together - I know that time crunch.

HIIT won't kill you, but doing it inlieu of adjusting your diet, well, the saying goes that you can't outwork a shit diet, so keep that in mind.

If i can't do much pull ups or chin ups with good form [2-3] then what should i do? They have an assist bar at the bottom but not sure if that is a good idea. I do so few of them that i feel i might be wasting my time with that particular exercise.

If i can't do much pull ups or chin ups with good form [2-3] then what should i do? They have an assist bar at the bottom but not sure if that is a good idea. I do so few of them that i feel i might be wasting my time with that particular exercise.

You've got some options. First, good on you for knowing the difference between chin-ups and pullups. You should do both.

When it comes to assistance you have some options.

1 - Start with negatives: Basically jump up and lower yourself down as slowly as possible and repeat. I've seen a lot of success with this.

2- Jumping pullups: basically the same thing and this will depend on your setup. Basically just jump and use the momentum to pull yourself up and then slowly lower yourself.

3 - Buy some resistance bands: Use these to wrap one side around the bar and hook your foot into it like so.
20130730163553-resistance-band-pull-ups_(1).jpg

Progressively use bands with less resistance until you are basically doing them without any assistance. **THIS IS MY FAVORITE**

Lastly (and please don't take offense at this, I'm new here so I don't know you), if you are female pullups are going to be much harder (on average), so don't get discouraged. Also, if you are overweight, losing weight will help significantly with pullups. When I dropped 20lbs I immediately went from doing 4 pullups to 10 for sets in about 4 weeks.

Chocobro

Can't believe I wasted 1.5H commuting to and from the university gym only to find out it's closed...
Luckily I have a 1-day free trial at a gym near my home. I hope it isn't crowded, they apparently only have two power racks. Totally inferior to my university gym already :p

Looking for suggestions for someone who can't lift any plates or weights at all. I normally ride my bike to work, 40 min cardio, and then weights. Tore my triceps tendon a little over three weeks ago. Been able to keep up with cardio somewhat. Most things that involve bouncing hurt the shoulder. I can literally see my body melting into what it used to be. Background: I lost 20 lbs last year and gained a bunch of muscle. Finally had the ladies 4 pack...that now looks like a softened bunch of yeast rolls. I'm kind of scared that I'm undoing everything I did last year.

Looking for suggestions for someone who can't lift any plates or weights at all. I normally ride my bike to work, 40 min cardio, and then weights. Tore my triceps tendon a little over three weeks ago. Been able to keep up with cardio somewhat. Most things that involve bouncing hurt the shoulder. I can literally see my body melting into what it used to be. Background: I lost 20 lbs last year and gained a bunch of muscle. Finally had the ladies 4 pack...that now looks like a softened bunch of yeast rolls. I'm kind of scared that I'm undoing everything I did last year.

Gonna be that guy and say that you should see a doctor and ask them what they recommend.

Personally, I don't know if this hurts, but if you can use a rowing machine that would be a good start. Rowing machines are great cardio, but have some pretty good strength components mixed in for the legs, chest and back. There's also not much bouncing. That said, it might hurt your tricep tendon.

If it's just your arms, can you still do squats? Squats will still do a lot for your core and your legs.

You've got some options. First, good on you for knowing the difference between chin-ups and pullups. You should do both.

When it comes to assistance you have some options.

1 - Start with negatives: Basically jump up and lower yourself down as slowly as possible and repeat. I've seen a lot of success with this.

2- Jumping pullups: basically the same thing and this will depend on your setup. Basically just jump and use the momentum to pull yourself up and then slowly lower yourself.

3 - Buy some resistance bands: Use these to wrap one side around the bar and hook your foot into it like so.
20130730163553-resistance-band-pull-ups_(1).jpg

Progressively use bands with less resistance until you are basically doing them without any assistance. **THIS IS MY FAVORITE**

Lastly (and please don't take offense at this, I'm new here so I don't know you), if you are female pullups are going to be much harder (on average), so don't get discouraged. Also, if you are overweight, losing weight will help significantly with pullups. When I dropped 20lbs I immediately went from doing 4 pullups to 10 for sets in about 4 weeks.

Thanks. I will try the negatives. How many sets and reps should i do of them and should there be any rest after each negative?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all ever date someone who insists on feeding you, and gets upset when you explain to them that you're being strict in your diet?

Man, makes you feel like a real shit when you turn down some poisonous chocolate shit.

Y'all ever date someone who insists on feeding you, and gets upset when you explain to them that you're being strict in your diet?

Man, makes you feel like a real shit when you turn down some poisonous chocolate shit.

Coworkers are that way for me man. Some nice older ladies who are excellent bakers always bringing me treats.

And a wife who has perfect abs, works out recreationally, and eats whatever she wants.

Chocobro

I like the pressing through the mid-foot and glutes cues.

The latter especially helped my lockout A LOT as I continue to try to improve my deadlift form.

I feel a lot more explosive when I think about pushing through with my glutes once the bar clears my knees. Still gotta work on that hamstring flexibility at the bottom so I can get a little lower and use my legs a bit more, though.
Great to hear! Those two sound really good to incorporate. Not sure if I should start doing the 'eyes closed' exercise as I already use the power rack that has no mirrors so I'm already building kinesthetic-awareness; I started disliking mirrors in front of the power racks at the same time, so distracting.
The only thing I noticed that has been bothering me ever since I watched Bryce's video is that his hips rise a *tad* earlier than everything else. Is that fine? I always thought your hips and back are supposed to rise together at the same time; one fluid motion. However I noticed that CanditoTrainingHQ had the same thing when he did a DL challenge and started with his hips a bit lower than he normally has it.
Really like it, Bryce is the man.
He's a great guy! Lots of good videos.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Never, I ain't bout dat life.

Ate 1.5 lbs cheesecake before bed last night, delicious.

Munching on some burgers right now and drowning myself with chocolate milk.

194lbs this a.m. pre-breakfast, post-shit. Only lifted once this past week.

#YOLO

You Only Lift Once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom