• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Isaac

So under my right armpit, to the right of my pec I've got a very swollen, painful spot. Happened after working out, but there was no specific moment that I noticed anything happened. There's no discoloration or anything.

Should I be worried?

Maybe it's a mosquito bite.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
2013 World's Strongest Man Final

gxev1lr.jpg

Wendy's has those chipotle chicken things. I had 4 of those and a frozen pizza for dinner. This was after deadlift day of course.

I read your post, saw pizza, and threw 4 pizza pockets in the microwave.

Holy shit. Look what the cat dragged in
Hey Shogun. Haven't been able to post much since I don't have time to goof off at my current job.

I missed gym today cuz my washer went off load and the basket came loose from the suspensions. Couldn't find a repair manual or advice online for this model. By hours of trial and error I got the thing apart and reattached the suspensions. The hardest part was reconnecting the balance spring cuz my arm barely reached the bottom. Second hardest was getting the panels back on cuz I had bent them up jamming my arms around the basket.

I think I am more sore now than if I had gone to the gym. Also feel more manly.

Finally stumbled across this thread. Glad to see some fellow lifters in here. I started my journey about 1.5 years ago when I was sick of being fat. Did crossfit for about 8 months before I switched to focusing mainly on a my olympic style lifting program (which I like much better). I've gotten a lot stronger and lost some weight, but I still need to get strict with my diet and really loose the last bit of body fat I have. Having a hard time with this last little bit, it's so much more fun to get strong than it is lean out.

This is the homegym I've built over that time (mainly from craigslist):

WK6PHCJ.jpg

Husker86

Finally stumbled across this thread. Glad to see some fellow lifters in here. I started my journey about 1.5 years ago when I was sick of being fat. Did crossfit for about 8 months before I switched to focusing mainly on a my olympic style lifting program (which I like much better). I've gotten a lot stronger and lost some weight, but I still need to get strict with my diet and really loose the last bit of body fat I have. Having a hard time with this last little bit, it's so much more fun to get strong than it is lean out.

http://i.imgur.com/WK6PHCJ.jpg?1[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Very nice. I love my home gym but a few things I want to do are limited because it's in my basement and the ceilings are only 8 foot. I would love to have the headroom you have.

Recorded some squats today for form checks.

185x5
235x5

The set I did after the 235 video didn't go so well. I irritated something in my lower (right) back while doing another 235 set. I'm hoping these videos will help show me what I'm doing wrong to cause that type of injury. Things in particular I'm concerned about-- depth, position of bar on the back, position of bar over the foot while squatting, and rounding of the lower back. So basically everything.

Very nice. I love my home gym but a few things I want to do are limited because it's in my basement and the ceilings are only 8 foot. I would love to have the headroom you have.

Yah, I got REALLY lucky. We bought a new place and the previous owner was a potter and built a studio out in the woods for his sculpting. So it's a shed with power (no heating or water) and cement floors.

Then it's just been a matter of waiting for good deals on craigslist.

6bJr29cl.jpg

SeanR1221

Not bad looking. Definitely seems like you're hitting depth. Maybe it's the angle but I feel like your upper back is rounding a bit. Force the chest up, that could help. Should also give you a good lower back curvature.

rage1973

WK6PHCJ.jpg

Wow that is a really awesome home gym.

185x5
235x5

The set I did after the 235 video didn't go so well. I irritated something in my lower (right) back while doing another 235 set. I'm hoping these videos will help show me what I'm doing wrong to cause that type of injury. Things in particular I'm concerned about-- depth, position of bar on the back, position of bar over the foot while squatting, and rounding of the lower back. So basically everything.

I can't see really well with the angle, but are you trying to do low-bar or high bar squats? The grip looks like you're going for low bar, but the bar looks a little high up for that:

squat.jpg

WK6PHCJ.jpg

Daaamn! That's an awesome setup. I'm super jelous. Fuck, your home gym is probably as big as my whole apartment. Nice to see the C2 rower too. Would love to have one at home if I had any room...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

185x5
235x5

Looks like you got some good depth. Hard to tell where the bar is on your back, though. If you get a chance, try to take a video of you outside of the rack next time with more or less the same camera angle each time.

Also, about the lower right back irritation thing, let me know if you find out more about what happened. When I first getting started with weight training the same thing happened to me. I'm fine now when doing squats and deadlifts, but I still have weird twinges of pain in that area if I sit at a weird angle or twist around in a certain way. I actually went to see a doctor about it when it first happened, because the pain didn't go away after a couple of days, and she said it was probably just a pulled muscle and sent me on my way.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

185x5
235x5

Those look great to me, tbh

Daaamn! That's an awesome setup. I'm super jelous. Fuck, your home gym is probably as big as my whole apartment. Nice to see the C2 rower too. Would love to have one at home if I had any room...

Yah, I got it off Craiglist (used only a few times) for $250. I love it, especially since I live in a place that snows 5 months out of the year and still try to get SOME cardio.

Now to find a GHD without dropping $500...

WK6PHCJ.jpg

ohhhmygoodness its sooo beautiful

rokkerkory

That looks so good. What's the recipe?

Thanks... just simply mix 2 tablespoon white miso, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 3 tablespoon honey together. Glaze it over salmon and bake for about 12 minutes, then broil for 3-4 minutes to get some nice crust. Add a tad of salt and pepper too.

Add whatever veggies and rice if you want. :)

SeanR1221

Speaking of second lunch I almost forgot to eat it today lol.

I went to go prep dinner and was like "shit I gotta eat second lunch first!" Think I'll play some battlefield and then have real dinner.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Off to the gym for squats, benches and deadlifts! I expect it to be super peaceful today with the Seahawks - 49ers game having just begun. I won't be surprised if I'm the only one there.

Off to the gym for squats, benches and deadlifts! I expect it to be super peaceful today with the Seahawks - 49ers game having just begun. I won't be surprised if I'm the only one there.

i love sundays at the gym, usually pretty empty and I get the power rack right in front of the TV so I can watch some Football

Just you wait until MrToughPants' food posts
and dat penguin cup
:p

BTW, welcome. You have a lovely home gym setup!

Hey thanks! I'm very internally motivated, but sometimes it sucks to always work out alone. Need a place to share my "swole" problems and victories.

went for 225 on bench today, I failed and went 5/2/1 but I wasn't even upset because it was the first time I've went for 2plate and at least I got 5 out on that first set. I wish I had started the program in the OP sooner. I worked out for about 3 years doing random shit and the best I was able to ever do was 3 reps at 200. I've done the program from the OP for only 3 months now and I've made so much more progress than I ever did on my own

I can't see really well with the angle, but are you trying to do low-bar or high bar squats? The grip looks like you're going for low bar, but the bar looks a little high up for that:

http://bighorncrossfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/squat.jpg

I'm aiming for it to be low bar. I agree the angle isn't optimal. One thing I'm noticing from freeze framing at the bottom of the squat is my head position. I think that's because I'm too focused looking in the mirror for my depth rather than focusing at the floor.

Not bad looking. Definitely seems like you're hitting depth. Maybe it's the angle but I feel like your upper back is rounding a bit. Force the chest up, that could help. Should also give you a good lower back curvature.

I am seeing a bit of rounding in the upper back. I feel like I do try to puff out my chest, at least at the top of the movement. I must be losing tightness in the hole.

Looks like you got some good depth. Hard to tell where the bar is on your back, though. If you get a chance, try to take a video of you outside of the rack next time with more or less the same camera angle each time.

Also, about the lower right back irritation thing, let me know if you find out more about what happened. When I first getting started with weight training the same thing happened to me. I'm fine now when doing squats and deadlifts, but I still have weird twinges of pain in that area if I sit at a weird angle or twist around in a certain way. I actually went to see a doctor about it when it first happened, because the pain didn't go away after a couple of days, and she said it was probably just a pulled muscle and sent me on my way.

I've kind of always had it, but it flairs up from time to time. I first noticed it while deadlifting when I wasn't pulling up evenly on the bar (I suspect one of my arms are longer than the other or one should hangs lower due to a collar bone injury)

Those look great to me, tbh

Thanks for the feedback guys. Next time I'll find someone to hold the camera for me.

Honestly dude, overall your form is pretty decent. Nothing major. As far as looking at yourself in the mirror, do it with the bar to get a feel for it and then just don't even look. Go for the max depth you can handle not just "good enough."

Also, my Bulgarian style program continues tomorrow, kinda ready for it to be over. It's been painful.

Weightlifting:
A) Snatch to max. 4 misses Allowed
B) CJ to max. 3 misses allowed

Strength:
A) FS: Find 3RM
B) Russian Twists with 20# Medball: 3 sets of 10 each side

It's basically max outs 5 days a week for 2 months, very little focus on accessory lifts. Rough and exhausting, but my squats are going up like crazy.

Fellas!
Good to see you all It sucks that I am back in the fold with a damn injury but alas thats the way it goes.

I was doing DL's about 2 months ago when I felt a little twinge in my lower back on the left side and it has basically stopped me from doing any deadlifts and is still giving me issues when doing squats. Sucks so bad.

Any of you guys feel anything like this? It doesn't really hurt until I finish a squat and go to rack it or when I finish a DL and lockout. Feels like maybe a strained tendon but I can't tell.

WK6PHCJ.jpg

This is incredible man. I want that setup so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom