• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

Y'all ever date someone who insists on feeding you, and gets upset when you explain to them that you're being strict in your diet?

Man, makes you feel like a real shit when you turn down some poisonous chocolate shit.

Girlfriends family, Italian. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Detox

Last two times I've squatted my left arm from below the shoulder right down to hand has gone numb. I can do the weight 68kg but around 3-4 reps especially in the later sets it messes me up mentally and I don't want to injure my nerves or muscles. It feels like the bar is resting on a muscle right underneath where the bar goes in a low bar squat. I don't know if the blood circulation is being cut out or it's my nerves. Any ideas how I could fix it?

Last two times I've squatted my left arm from below the shoulder right down to hand has gone numb. I can do the weight 68kg but around 3-4 reps especially in the later sets it messes me up mentally and I don't want to injure my nerves or muscles. It feels like the bar is resting on a muscle right underneath where the bar goes in a low bar squat. I don't know if the blood circulation is being cut out or it's my nerves. Any ideas how I could fix it?

Wear a thicker shirt/hoodie?

Or switch to high bar.

Chocobro

Are you squeezing the BB hard as heck with your hands? I've had numbness in my forearm because of that and I loosened my grip on the BB the next time I squatted and didn't get any numbness. It might be different because I high-bar squat.

Detox

This post on SS forums mentioned pushing down on the clavicle and seeing if it reproduces the same effects, the poster was going to post more info if the op came back positive unfortunately he didn't :(. Well I swung my right arm round and pushed down and felt some pain and slight onset of numbness around my little finger. I definitely think with more pressure from weights on my clavicle it will go numb much faster. I guess I'm suffering from Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I'll let it rest for the rest of this week, see how it feels next week. I'll also try to work on my bar placement it may be slightly wrong.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Weighed in at 245 yesterday at 5' 8". Ain't even mad. Last time I was 245 I didn't look like this, that's for damn sure.
And this is why I will never even come close to hitting your numbers. Great work on 100% committing to strength Brolic! Your dedication is quite evident.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm 5'9" and weigh about 65 lbs less than you. I'm supremely jealous / inspired.

And this is why I will never even come close to hitting your numbers. Great work on 100% committing to strength Brolic! Your dedication is quite evident.

My body needs a break though. Eating/lifting like this is wearing on me. Time to dial back the chow and if I hit 400 on bench soon, dial back the intensity volume for a bit.

Should be noted. I'm that height/weight and still wearing size 36 jeans and work pants.

Imm0rt4l

Have you guys considered getting MRIs? If your insurance covers it of course.

I had trouble turning my neck, and like I said, leg pain.

It's not nearly as bad now. It flaired up really bad last week when I was squatting close to my max, but I think I lost some serious lumbar support and had butt wink which didn't help.

I will say this week, improving my form, my lower back feels great.
I may have to if problems persists but I've gotten better. Honestly I should have a while ago but didn't because reasons.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I went overboard on my carb night last Saturday. I've been having some sinus trouble since the following morning. Hopefully this doesn't last much longer.

Going to have to exercise a bit more moderation next time.

Jhriad

Thanks. I will try the negatives. How many sets and reps should i do of them and should there be any rest after each negative?

Don't think I've posted in here before but since chin ups/pull-ups are something I've been working on in my recent workout regimen I thought I'd chime in. Before I started working out (November) I couldn't do any chin-ups or pull-ups and really couldn't even get myself to budge off the floor let alone do a single rep. I started with chin-up negatives standing on a chair at the beginning and lowering myself down as slowly as possible and once you're able to do a full rep start your set with those and finish off the set with negatives. I'm able to do more pull-ups & chin-ups now than when I was in high school almost 12 years ago.

One day I'll be cut like you fuckers, I swear it.

My body needs a break though. Eating/lifting like this is wearing on me. Time to dial back the chow and if I hit 400 on bench soon, dial back the intensity volume for a bit.

Should be noted. I'm that height/weight and still wearing size 36 jeans and work pants.

I don't beleive you. We all know you are a machine who can never break down

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
what did you eat?

Started the binge immediately after I was done lifting by downing a protein shake that contained 2 cups of milk and 3 overly ripe bananas.

Followed up an hour later with a little over a pound of breaded chicken tenders, some jojo fries, ranch dressing, and a big bowl of rice.

A bit later in the evening was two blackberry turnovers, three peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, a big slice of pumpkin pie and two big glasses of milk.

Finally finished the evening with a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream!

Now, this may just be a pre-meal warmup session for someone like MrToughPants, but I think it may have been a food eating record for me.

thomaser

Need some advice: I had just started the second week on cycle 2 of the 531 routine when sickness and work prevented me from working out for around three weeks. When I got back, I was much weaker, and couldn't lift the weights scheduled in the program. So I've spent the last few workouts lifting easier, just trying to get back into the groove. Should I continue on week 2 cycle 2, or should I start cycle 2 over again? Or maybe go all the way back to the start of cycle 1?

Chocobro

Can't believe I wasted 1.5H commuting to and from the university gym only to find out it's closed...
Luckily I have a 1-day free trial at a gym near my home. I hope it isn't crowded, they apparently only have two power racks. Totally inferior to my university gym already :p

Thought I would continue from here. The gym I went to was BlinkFitness. Facility was nice and all that: a large space to do stretches and yoga stuff; lots of cardio stuff and I mean lots...two floors of it; two power racks (lame) and a smith machine; and a good number of machines and DBs. One downer...NO 2.5LB PLATES!

Story time: I started doing my warm-up squats and some lady came up to me. She looked familiar, we might have went to the same middle school. Anyway, she asked how many sets I have left and I replied, "seven sets" and she gave me a WTF face. The seven included the 4 warm-up sets and 3 working sets, I don't see what's the problem. I said she can work in if she wants to (I don't know what exercise she's doing) and she said, "oh no, it's OK."

A few minutes later, I finished my first working set and she asked me how many sets I have left. I replied saying I had two sets left and she started giving me an attitude and said, "ugh, you taking up so much space." Lol, whatever that means.

I finished squatting and gave her the power rack. Oh, she wanted to bench, great. I had to bench and gave up the power rack :T Luckily the other power rack had a bench and she took it instead. I pulled a bench over to the power rack. Yadda yadda yadda... I completed 3x5x95lb, the weight I had to deload from. Pretty easy, can't wait for 3x5x100lb.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: What do I do if my high-bar squats start to look like this? Obviously not my video (ChelseaLifts is a fun channel to watch). Basically my torso isn't as upright as it should be after the first two reps. I'm guessing that if I ever get WLing shoes, that problem won't be as apparent because it helps my torso keep more upright? What are some tips to help fix this?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Chef Boyardee will discontinue their Beefaroni line, due to poor sales, when that happens.

Started the binge immediately after I was done lifting by downing a protein shake that contained 2 cups of milk and 3 overly ripe bananas.

Followed up an hour later with a little over a pound of breaded chicken tenders, some jojo fries, ranch dressing, and a big bowl of rice.

A bit later in the evening was two blackberry turnovers, three peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, a big slice of pumpkin pie and two big glasses of milk.

Finally finished the evening with a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream!

Now, this may just be a pre-meal warmup session for someone like MrToughPants, but I think it may have been a food eating record for me.

That post brought a tear to my eye.

Having 5 pizza pockets, 250g strawberry greek yogourt and 500ml chocolate milk before some front squats. I'd like to call this an appetizer.

I'll have 1+ pound of ground beef, 5 potatoes (mashed), broccoli and chocolate milk after lifting. Will snack on jalapeno crunchy cheetos and some milk before bed.

Samara

Switching from weight training/farmers walk to battle ropes and hiit workouts. I snapped my knee last week. My knee and hip snapped. Maybe i needed plates underneath my feet.
Anyway I think they're more effective on working the core/arms. They're a tad too heavy, but I can last 20-25 seconds on them. They're more cardio oriented than farmers....and look cool

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Following up on the pull up discussion...

the negatives are how I get all of my friends used to doing pull-ups... they learn how to do them on their own in about 2 weeks time..

I am at about 120 pull-ups a day before every workout. 3 sets of 40 with every ten being different grips. intense isn't even the word.

Oh whats up Fitness Gaf, this is my first time posting

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
400lbs frant squot is so close.

Shit ~7,000 cals today and I won't even put a pound on...I'd be a fat fuck if I had a desk job.

bfast - 1200
lunch - 1600
afterwork snack - 2000
supper - 1900
Simply OJ - 260
+snacks later

Imm0rt4l

0cd9b18a7df811e397341273046da400_8.jpg

Ha

Szu

But you're keeping the beard, right...please tell us you're keeping the beard.

Szu

Shit ~7,000 cals today and I won't even put a pound on...I'd be a fat fuck if I had a desk job.

bfast - 1200
lunch - 1600
afterwork snack - 2000
supper - 1900
Simply OJ - 260
+snacks later

I love how the afterwork snack is equivalent to some people daily food intake.

Impressive!!

God almighty.

I love my gym, but I swear to Christ even 11 am is a terrible time to go, now. Then again, that lunchtime surge is vicious. Anyway, I ran into an issue today that I haven't before, and wonder if anyone has any insight...I wasn't able to rep as much as I normally do today. Typically I warm up, then hit the bench for incline dumbbell. Well, all the benches were in use, so I figured I'd go right to tricep pushdowns. I did them, then went back nab a free bench.

I'm in a month now where I'm trying to push heavier for 6 - 8 reps, 4 sets. I was lucky to make it to 6 most sets, petering out at 5 and only making it to 7 twice (on incline and flat dumbbell bench). I THINK it's because I did triceps first, but I didn't feel anything different.

So, short version, can changing the order of your routine fuck you up?

rokkerkory

bfast - 1200
lunch - 1600
afterwork snack - 2000
supper - 1900
Simply OJ - 260
+snacks later

you are a mighty mighty man... that's 2x the calories that I intake!

SeanR1221

God almighty.

I love my gym, but I swear to Christ even 11 am is a terrible time to go, now. Then again, that lunchtime surge is vicious. Anyway, I ran into an issue today that I haven't before, and wonder if anyone has any insight...I wasn't able to rep as much as I normally do today. Typically I warm up, then hit the bench for incline dumbbell. Well, all the benches were in use, so I figured I'd go right to tricep pushdowns. I did them, then went back nab a free bench.

I'm in a month now where I'm trying to push heavier for 6 - 8 reps, 4 sets. I was lucky to make it to 6 most sets, petering out at 5 and only making it to 7 twice (on incline and flat dumbbell bench). I THINK it's because I did triceps first, but I didn't feel anything different.

It's possible...along with improper sleep, poor programming, not enough to eat...

I dunno, just sounds like an off day.

Were you moving up in weight this week? What's your routine like.

sphinx

the piano man
this is that damn time of the day where I show what I am made of....

we have 7:15 PM here in europe and I should be headed for the gym in 15 minutes, but after a hard day filled with work, I just want to eat some small snack and get in my bed and forget about everything.

but I will change clothes, go again outside to the near zero temperatures, make my way to the gym, deal with every new resolutioner there, come back and eat dinner late, shower later and go to bed late....

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I hate to be an old fuck with no strength, I just want to sleep. my eyes are closing as I type,

Szu

we have 7:15 PM here in europe and I should be headed for the gym in 15 minutes, but after a hard day filled with work, I just want to eat some small snack and get in my bed and forget about everything.

but I will change clothes, go again outside to the near zero temperatures, make my way to the gym, deal with every new resolutioner there, come back and eat dinner late, shower later and go to bed late....

I hate to be an old fuck with no strength, I just want to sleep. my eyes are closing as I type,

Noooo, sphinx, stay away from the light!!!
tumblr_mygcedBZwC1qdlh1io1_400.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Old? Shut up and get out there. Muscle waits for no man.

blackflag

God almighty.

Triceps are activated during the bench press, so yes, it could affect it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
lol great gif,..

Vince, ok I am going now, see ya later.

GOOD! Prepare for the BEST WORKOUT OF YOUR LIFE! Because I always have great ones when I feel like warmed over dogshit.

Izayoi

Banned
So apparently, neither me nor my trainer has any idea what the fuck is going on. I'm here on recommendation from the kind folks who scared me half to death in the OT.

Height: 6ft
Weight: 180 (@ 10% bodyfat)
Goal: 200 (@ 9% bodyfat)
Current Training Schedule: Five days a week, an hour each day.
Current Training Equipment Available: All of it. Huge, empty gym at my disposal.
Comments: Just started lifting/working out in earnest two months ago. Great cardio and lung capacity, but I want to get huge. Currently eating 6000 calories of eggs, chicken, and spinach every day across five meals. I take whey protein before and after my workouts (1 scoop before, 2 after) as well as creatine (one scoop about 45 minutes before I work out). What would you guys recommend to me as a beginning program?

Petrie

Banned
So apparently, neither me nor my trainer has any idea what the fuck is going on. I'm here on recommendation from the kind folks who scared me half to death in the OT.

Current Training Equipment Available: All of it. Huge, empty gym at my disposal.
Comments: Just started lifting/working out in earnest two months ago. Great cardio and lung capacity, but I want to get huge. Currently eating 6000 calories of eggs, chicken, and spinach every day across five meals. I take whey protein before and after my workouts (1 scoop before, 2 after) as well as creatine (one scoop about 45 minutes before I work out). What would you guys recommend to me as a beginning program?

From the OP:

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

Buy a copy of Starting Strength as well.

Done.

despire

How did you come to a conclusion that you need to eat 6000 kcal a day? Might be a bit overkill...

rage1973

You should up your fat content and add some red meat to your diet.
Chicken is good if you are trying to get lean but it's not as effective as beef when trying to bulk.

Izayoi

Banned
How did you come to a conclusion that you need to eat 6000 kcal a day? Might be a bit overkill...
I've been maintaining bodyfat % and gaining muscle mass at that intake. (Up from 172lbs.)

I'm afraid if I dropped any lower my bodyfat would plummet.

You should up your fat content and add some red meat to your diet.
Chicken is good if you are trying to get lean but it's not as effective as beef when trying to bulk.
Beef is expensive. ;_; Any alternatives? I like chicken and eggs as protein because they're cheap as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom