• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Now I'm far from a deadlift expert, but I think you might be squatting a little too much at the start of your lift. Your hips seem to rise on every rep before you're able to pull, so maybe consider setting up from that position and avoid the unnecessary movement at the beginning?

Have to agree here. It's almost looks like a reverse squat. However, I'll wait for form master Noema to chime in.

On the bright side the weight shot up extremely fast, indicating to me, you have a ton of strength left.

Why is a seated barbell shoulder press so much easier than a standing press? I did 40kg x 10 x 3 without much issue. I would not get this rep range if I was standing.

It's making it easier because you don't have to use as much effort to keep yourself stabilized.

Now I'm far from a deadlift expert, but I think you might be squatting a little too much at the start of your lift. Your hips seem to rise on every rep before you're able to pull, so maybe consider setting up from that position and avoid the unnecessary movement at the beginning?

I need to do a form video because I'm pretty sure I have the same problem

Powercast

What are the best exercises for forearms and biceps? Also does anyone know where the cheapest place to get omega 3 fish oil capsules and supplements? (UK based preferably, if not will look at US options).

Thanks

I'm from europe and always get supps from bulkpowders.co.uk or myprotein.co.uk.

Servbot24

Banned
Anyone know how to avoid charlie horses? I had the worst one of my life last night, lasted 15 straight minutes, and now I'm super tight in that leg and walking around with a limp. Since yesterday was also my first real lifting session in a while I would guess they're connected somehow. I also had one last month the night after I did a more intense bike ride than usual.

Anyone know how to avoid charlie horses? I had the worst one of my life last night, lasted 15 straight minutes, and now I'm super tight in that leg and walking around with a limp. Since yesterday was also my first real lifting session in a while I would guess they're connected somehow. I also had one last month the night after I did a more intense bike ride than usual.

I've heard dehydration can be a major cause of charlie horses. Not sure how scientific that is though. If you don't drink much water I'd increase your intake and see how you do.

iddqd

Hm, I've watched a couple of form videos here and I'm surprised about the number of belts I'm seeing.
What's the weight a belt makes sense? I thought you start wearing it around the 2 times body weight mark but I seem to be wrong.

Hm, I've watched a couple of form videos here and I'm surprised about the number of belts I'm seeing.
What's the weight a belt makes sense? I thought you start wearing it around the 2 times body weight mark but I seem to be wrong.

If you're asking, you don't need one.

entremet

You'll probably never need one honestly, unless powerlifting is your thing, or you start hitting 400 pound plus squats and 500 pound plus dead lifts for reps. It can become a crutch before that.

Chocobro

Should I invest in a pair of Adipowers when I'm still going through SS? I can get one for about 140USD if I can find someone from Canada who can order and ship it to the US. Only one pair left in my size though.

Lunar New Year money incoming :F

Should I invest in a pair of Adipowers when I'm still going through SS? I can get one for about 140USD if I can find someone from Canada who can order and ship it to the US. Only one pair left in my size though.

Lunar New Year money incoming :F

No better time to invest in them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Here's my final set of videos for this week. Deadlifts, 3x5 @300lbs. Hope the angle is okay? Have at it.

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

I do that exact same thing as you (but worse) where I kind of squat into it so I can get that lumbar curve, but when I go for the lift my butt rises a bit before the weight leaves the ground. I'm really trying to figure out how to fix it. I can't tell I'm doing it in the moment and only notice later when watching recorded video playback. I wonder if it has something to do with arm/leg length. Going to watch some more deadlift form videos before going in to the gym today.

sphinx

the piano man
I could swear this one guy in my gym has synthol'd his arms.

Of course, I can't be sure but we were doing rope pushdowns one in front of the other and all I see is a huge blob of something where you should normally see a bicep, there is no bicep there, just a big, huge balloon instead.

have you guys come across synthol/weird/suspicious arms in your gyms?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I do that exact same thing as you (but worse) where I kind of squat into it so I can get that lumbar curve, but when I go for the lift my butt rises a bit before the weight leaves the ground. I'm really trying to figure out how to fix it. I can't tell I'm doing it in the moment and only notice later when watching recorded video playback. I wonder if it has something to do with arm/leg length. Going to watch some more deadlift form videos before going in to the gym today.

JL specifically addresses this issue in this great video.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Going to try to apply some of that stuff in the video. Thanks for linking it again.

I think I've been focusing too much on getting low enough that I can have a good lumbar curve.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Going to try to apply some of that stuff in the video. Thanks for linking it again.

I think I've been focusing too much on getting low enough that I can have a good lumbar curve.

Practice floating the bar like he shows. I engrained that pattern often. While warm up will do it about 20 times. You should b sitting back bar against your shins with 135 hanging in the air.

Also realize "pulling yourself into position" is not a function of the arms. They should be locked out as hooks. You're pulling yourself into position with your hamstrings. During setup I always flex my triceps as hard as possible to avoid engaging th biceps.

Speaking deadlifts, managed to lift 385x2 today.

I think those farmer's walks are working.

Farmers walks help everything.

SeanR1221

Man it's hard to high rep deadlift.

Only managed 265x9 today on my first 5s week. I'm just out of breath by the end because I'm trying not to touch and go.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Man it's hard to high rep deadlift.

Only managed 265x9 today on my first 5s week. I'm just out of breath by the end because I'm trying not to touch and go.
They are exhausting, no doubt. I always feel so out of shape on high rep DL day.

Servbot24

Banned
I know heavy lifters don't like doing too much cardio, but how do y'all feel about swimming laps? I wanna get back into it, it's a great workout.

MarkusRJR

I've been trying to get in shape for a while now. So far it's been mostly diet changes and cardio, but I want to add in a more well rounded work out (and I don't want to have basically no muscles).

I have a range of dumbbells, a yoga mat, and a few medicine balls. I can't afford to go to the gym due to saving for school, so is this enough to make a full body workout or am I going to need to buy some more equipment? If so, what?

Also, what are some good exercises I can do with the equipment I have?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I know heavy lifters don't like doing too much cardio, but how do y'all feel about swimming laps? I wanna get back into it, it's a great workout.

Swimming is fun, man. Go for it. Personally, I look at swimming not as cardio, but more like a sport or fun activity. You're probably not going to worry about doing too much cardio if you like playing basketball, for example.

Practice floating the bar like he shows. I engrained that pattern often. While warm up will do it about 20 times. You should b sitting back bar against your shins with 135 hanging in the air.

Also realize "pulling yourself into position" is not a function of the arms. They should be locked out as hooks. You're pulling yourself into position with your hamstrings. During setup I always flex my triceps as hard as possible to avoid engaging th biceps.

Thanks a lot. This is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Combined with the video, I think I'll be able to improve my form a lot today. Going to do a bunch of those "floating the bar" reps to get a feel for it.

moocow

It has been a long while since I read 531. if I do BBB after my traditional sets do I still AMRAP for the last set?

As in for deadlifts yesterday my last set was 315 for 10 instead of five, followed by 185 5x10. Was that right?

SeanR1221

It has been a long while since I read 531. if I do BBB after my traditional sets do I still AMRAP for the last set?

As in for deadlifts yesterday my last set was 315 for 10 instead of five, followed by 185 5x10. Was that right?

It's been a while but I think with BBB you stick to just the minimum amount of reps.

I just checked it and to me it looks like you do the usual sets/reps for your respective week.

Samara

What's the best way to do them and measure progress? I do them on and off, but I'll just grab a couple 90s and walk around for 20 seconds a couple times, and that's it.

Take heavier weights and check your time/distance/record. Or stay with the ones you have and go a greater distance.

moocow

Would it be stupid to ignore that and to keep doing amrap instead of the the set amount?

Because I really like doing Boring but big, but I also think i'm going to hate only repping my max weight for the 3 and 1 week at only 3 and 1 when I could do much more.

J. Bravo

Would it be stupid to ignore that and to keep doing amrap instead of the the set amount?

Because I really like doing Boring but big, but I also think i'm going to hate only repping my max weight for the 3 and 1 week at only 3 and 1 when I could do much more.

no do amrap for 5+ or whatever. but only 5x10 for bbb. thats what he meant.

sphinx

the piano man
Can anyone here do handstand pushups? I've been trying for a while and I still can't do a single one. :(

assisted or unassisted?

I can and I think others like Szu and Oogie can do that too.

but like Brolic says, is just mere entretainment, I use them for a small warm-up on shoulder day, 2 sets of 5 to get things going then I go to free weights. But I wouldn't use that as assistance other than that warmup really,

it's fun but not really efficient. Of course it all depends on goals and stuff, but in the context of strength training, it really is at the bottom of your prirority list.

my 2 cents

GabDX

Banned
Yes, I'm doing calisthenics only. For now my feet are resting against a wall.

sphinx, why are they inefficient? My goal is not size, just athletic abilities and complete mastery of my own body.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

sphinx, why are they inefficient? My goal is not size, just athletic abilities and complete mastery of my own body.

This is why I asked. If you're having a hard time try raising you feet up on a platform and pumping out push-ups. Slowly increase the height.

I used to be able to knock out 10-15 of them when I was a teen by working up to it like that. (Leaning against a wall)

sphinx

the piano man

they are inefficient in the sense that you are better off using your energy in something else if your goal is strength and muscle mass but you have stated you have other goals, so it's o.k in your case.

besides leaning on the wall with my feet, what helped me do them was increasing difficulty in the regular push-ups.

if you do hard (regular) pushup variations like scorpion, spiderman, or diamond pushups, you'll be increasing your strength and resistance. After a while, you'd be able to do one handstand pushup and you can go from there to do reps, over time.

it was like that in my case.

rokkerkory

Anyone else ever feel like they are tiny in terms of muscle mass? i always get this feeling and even though i have progress pics to prove otherwise. =/

mt1200

So, as I posted some days ago, I started hitting the gym.

I have a 6 day 2hour/day workout routine, I do about 1H cardio and I lift some weights too. In order to lose some weight, I've been avoiding carbs on my workout days, the only thing that's boggles my mind is what to eat on my 7th day, which is my day off from gym and happens to be today. I ate fast food without sodas, but I don't know if a weekly fast food day will keep me from losing weight/fat and getting abs no matter how much cardio I do.

I don't know either what's the relationship between your heart's frequency and the fat you burn, my instructor put me a 146 BPM limit for my cardio routine, but I don't know what will happen if my heart goes faster ( within an acceptable range of course, I don't want to get a heart attack) whenever I'm training.

TL;DR: Not sure if a weekly burger and tacos will ruin my workout, and not sure either if exceeding the heart frequency that my routine suggests may not be effective at all.

rokkerkory

I have a 6 day 2hour/day workout routine, I do about 1H cardio and I lift some weights too. In order to lose some weight, I've been avoiding carbs on my workout days, the only thing that's boggles my mind is what to eat on my 7th day, which is my day off from gym and happens to be today. I ate fast food without sodas, but I don't know if a weekly fast food day will keep me from losing weight/fat and getting abs no matter how much cardio I do.

I don't know either what's the relationship between your heart's frequency and the fat you burn, my instructor put me a 146 BPM limit for my cardio routine, but I don't know what will happen if my heart goes faster ( within an acceptable range of course, I don't want to get a heart attack) whenever I'm training.

TL;DR: Not sure if a weekly burger and tacos will ruin my workout, and not sure either if exceeding the heart frequency that my routine suggests may not be effective at all.

146bpm is good but not that extremely high, anything usually over 140-160 is pure fat burn mode so you are ok unless you have breathing or heart problems.

cutting out BAD carbs is the way to go, not all carbs. complex carbs is needed in order to give you the nrg to get through your workouts.

i would cut out any fast food if you are serious about sliming down which it seems like you are. if you need to have food fast then try places like chitpotle / subway / etc. you can find nutrition values on their websites.

moocow

Anyone else ever feel like they are tiny in terms of muscle mass? i always get this feeling and even though i have progress pics to prove otherwise. =/

It's your adonis complex kicking in, which I think almost everyone who works out has. I love it because so far it's what has been driving me to keep going

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

No, the weekly burger and tacos will not ruin your progress. Make it daily and it probably will.

You sound like you'd do well on a cyclical carb diet where you gorge on "junk" once a week, preferably after lifting heavy (for you) weights. I'd recommend you look up John Kiefer's work if you're interested.

There's growing evidence that indicates that avoiding carbs in the earlier half of the day, and then spiking insulin after weight training in the latter half of the day can be extremely beneficial to increasing your metabolism over the next couple of days, and allowing you pound carbs that night to refill muscle glycogen stores without putting on body fat.

cutting out BAD carbs is the way to go, not all carbs. complex carbs is needed in order to give you the nrg to get through your workouts.

This really only applies if you are lifting seriously heavy weights compared to your body weight. Carbs after a workout can definitely help you make gains faster, though.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
And how many people think its easy to turn into a hulking monster. It gets thrown around so casually.

"Oh I don't want to be too big !¡!¡!!¡"
My favourites are the ones who imply that anyone who lifts somewhat seriously must be insecure, vain and obsessed with strength and wanting to become the hulk, then talk about how surveys show a slimmer build is what women are more attracted to. Extra points if they name specific muscles which should be sculpted for maximum appeal or refer to subconscious opinions formed by looking at pictures of strangers as though they're the be all and end all of human interactions.

Kwixotik

So under my right armpit, to the right of my pec I've got a very swollen, painful spot. Happened after working out, but there was no specific moment that I noticed anything happened. There's no discoloration or anything.

Should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom