• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
No idea. Fat will go where fat will go; everyone's a little different but generally the spot where it first appears is the spot where it's last to come off. For men that's the stomach. However I've never heard of the rate of fat gain/loss significantly changing its distribution so if you're at a relatively low bf% I don't think you'd have much to worry about.

in my personal experience, age (I am 36 now) is/has been a major factor in regards to getting a pretty shitty body (all fat on the stomach) when bulking too fast or carelessly.

I was at my parents over holidays (last time family and friends saw me was 7 months before that) and everybody told me I looked "nothing like before" (in a good way) muscly, bulky, whatever... but there was not one pic/selfie I liked of me taken from the front and from the side it's even worse, it's pretty clear "dirty bulking" both before and during holidays was a complete failure.

I came back home 1 week ago and I am cleaning my diet, trying to stick to the macrosplit with better food instead of reaching my calorie goal with whatever is available out there (pizza, mcdonalds, pastries). I am allowing myself 1 tame cheat day on sunday, which is the cardio day anyway. .

tl/dr lesson learned, I love being bigger than before, but I want my healthy body back. at least during summer 2014,

I mean, WTF, I claim to be passionate and disciplined about this and I go walking around with a damn belly? lol such fiasco

Petrie

Banned
tl/dr lesson learned, I love being bigger than before, but I want my healthy body back. at least during summer 2014,

The term you're looking for is aesthetically pleasing. There's nothing inherently healthy about a flat stomach or visible abs.

sphinx

the piano man
The term you're looking for is aesthetically pleasing. There's nothing inherently healthy about a flat stomach or visible abs.

agreed.

in my case, there are several factors that make me want to change my ways, It's not the absence of abs what annoys me, it's how I look older and even a bit beaten up because there's more fat where there should be a lot less, lower back for example.

I am not an abs freak but I'd like to see my work reflected in the mirror, instead of liking me only if I cover my gut with my arm, fuck that,

another thing is that I went substantially less to the gym in the fall months because of work/illness but I kept eating...

there's lot of work to do but I am looking forward to it, Summer 2014 can't come soon enough.

I know your pain Sphinx, this bulk is killing me. Even though I know I'm getting bigger and my lift numbers keep going up all I notice in the mirror is how I'm losing defintion. All I see is a fat stomach and my biceps turning into fatceps. The only time I feel real good is immedialty after working out and I got a bit of a pump going on and when I look in the mirror I can see my hard work paying off

Irobot82

Nothing like working out when you're in the beginning of a cold. I don't know how I survived and I may have been hallucinating but I made it.

Squats 3x5 @ 205lbs
OHP 3x5 @ 90lbs
Bench Press 3x5 @ 115lbs.

I hope I feel better friday morning...bleh.

Petrie

Banned
I hope you didn't take offense Sphinx, I just don't like the idea that equates skinniness or muscle definition to health. Believe me I want dem abs.

mt1200

Have you guys tried Les Mills' bodycombat instead of a classic cardio routine?.

I always give it a shot whenever I can at my gym, even though it's very fast paced and difficult to follow for folks like me with very low coordination, but I consider it a good cardio replacement routine.

Last thursday I tried Crosstech ( Bootcamp + soft crossfit) and that's the toughest group class i've attended to, I don't know how many calories you burn but you end up dead tired, the same goes for those spinning classes in which the instructor tries to make you simulate a mountain circuit (standing up, increasing load, keeping up at steady 90-100 RPM, etc).

I also have been trying to do some interval training in the treadmill but it's quite difficult, I can't finish a half hour routine with 1 min - 8KM/h, next min: 11KM/h routine, I always have to stop when I reach 15 min and continue with steady 9KM/H run until the end.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sphinx brah how was the workout yesterday? Did it end up being righteous shit?

Zoe

I also have been trying to do some interval training in the treadmill but it's quite difficult, I can't finish a half hour routine with 1 min - 8KM/h, next min: 11KM/h routine, I always have to stop when I reach 15 min and continue with steady 9KM/H run until the end.

That's not much of a variance--I would drop your resting speed. Interval training on the treadmill sucks though. Takes too long to get up to speed/drop back down.

Of the Les Mills cardio, I probably like Body Combat the best (kinda have a fear of falling off in Step). I tend to stick to Pump and CXWorx though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's not much of a variance--I would drop your resting speed. Interval training on the treadmill sucks though. Takes too long to get up to speed/drop back down.

BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP
*thud thud thud thud thud thud*
BEEP BEEP...BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP
*gasp*

Samara

Might wanna do the tabata/hiit version.If im correct, I think you could do your sprints, but for 30seconds then rest for ten. For a total of four minutes. Until you reach fifteen minutes.

Loki

Count of Concision
Quick question: I was on another forum and some folks reacted with extreme incredulity when I related the fact that when I was 16 years old (possibly just turned 17), the first time I ever bench pressed I was doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps @ 185 pounds. For reference, I'm 6'1" and at that time weighed ~185 pounds. I had never touched any weights before that day. The only sort of strength exercise I did was push-ups for about 8 months prior to that (I was doing 3 sets of 55-60 push-ups by the time I did this bench press).

Some guys who work out a lot couldn't believe that the first time I ever benched I was doing that weight. They basically accused me of lying. I never thought it was anything special at all, but their comments make me wonder: is something like that uncommon?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question: I was on another forum and some folks reacted with extreme incredulity when I related the fact that when I was 16 years old (possibly just turned 17), the first time I ever bench pressed I was doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps @ 185 pounds. For reference, I'm 6'1" and at that time weighed ~185 pounds. I had never touched any weights before that day. The only sort of strength exercise I did was push-ups for about 8 months prior to that (I was doing 3 sets of 55-60 push-ups by the time I did this bench press).

Some guys who work out a lot couldn't believe that the first time I ever benched I was doing that weight. They basically accused me of lying. I never thought it was anything special at all, but their comments make me wonder: is something like that uncommon?

Uncommon but not impossible by any stretch.

To me, that is on the abnormally strong side. Many people have to lift for some length of time to even be able to bench their body weight for one rep, so for you to be able to bench 8-10 reps for 3 sets at your body weight for your first time ever lift seems highly unlikely to me. Not impossible of course, just not a common occurrence by any means.

Loki

Count of Concision
To me, that is on the abnormally strong side. Many people have to lift for some length of time to even be able to bench their body weight for one rep, so for you to be able to bench 8-10 reps for 3 sets at your body weight for your first time ever lift seems highly unlikely to me. Not impossible of course, just not a common occurrence by any means.

Thanks for the feedback. Well, that's what I did. :) Don't you think doing 3 sets of 55-60 push-ups every other day for several months helped, especially since I weighed 185 (i.e., I wasn't a lightweight doing push-ups and then benched 185)? Or are people who do a good amount of push-ups for a while still unable to bench sets of their own bodyweight when they get on the bench usually? They seem like similar motions that would use/develop similar muscles.

Thanks for the feedback. Well, that's what I did. :) Don't you think doing 3 sets of 55-60 push-ups every other day for several months helped, especially since I weighed 185 (i.e., I wasn't a lightweight doing push-ups and then benched 185)? Or are people who do a good amount of push-ups for a while still unable to bench sets of their own bodyweight when they get on the bench usually? They seem like similar motions that would use/develop similar muscles.

I can relate through personal experience that doing a lot of sets of pushups has helped me out on the bench a lot. I'm still not repping my body weight like that but I'm a pretty heavy dude.

Hah what changed?

I've done strength for a majority of my lifting career and I was able to hit 300/400/500 so that makes me happy. Plus, I just want to try, like really try to lean out and see what I look like. Now don't get me wrong, I'm going to do everything I can to retain the muscle I gained and keep my numbers high but if it dips a bit, so be it.

SeanR1221

I've done strength for a majority of my lifting career and I was able to hit 300/400/500 so that makes me happy. Plus, I just want to try, like really try to lean out and see what I look like. Now don't get me wrong, I'm going to do everything I can to retain the muscle I gained and keep my numbers high but if it dips a bit, so be it.

Nice! I await your after pictures.

Aight marks, I've decided that I want to get lean as fuck. Strength be damned, I'm going to look pretty.

You've turned your back on us!

Also, leg press seems so much harder for me than it should be. I struggle to get through warm-up sets followed by 3x15x250 lbs. I am guessing it has partially to do with me doing deadlifts, then front squats, then leg press all back-to-back but damn, I feel like I should still be able to rep 350+ at that many reps/sets.

This week has been an incredibly discouraging week. I love olympic lifting, but when you have a bad week you just feel like a failure. There's nothing like being exhausted and dropping snatches you normally can catch with ease. The combination of this cut and the Bulgarian style training is really taking its toll on me.

This is why I normally give up on a cut and just start eating. Not this time though, gonna stick with it.

sphinx

the piano man
I know your pain Sphinx, this bulk is killing me. Even though I know I'm getting bigger and my lift numbers keep going up all I notice in the mirror is how I'm losing defintion. All I see is a fat stomach and my biceps turning into fatceps. The only time I feel real good is immedialty after working out and I got a bit of a pump going on and when I look in the mirror I can see my hard work paying off

yeah, exactly that happens to me

.- work out, get a pump,
.- take shirt off in the lockers, look good/o.k,
.- get back home, pump is gone, look at the mirror, and...:-(

I hope you didn't take offense Sphinx, I just don't like the idea that equates skinniness or muscle definition to health. Believe me I want dem abs.

hehe, No :) no offense whatsoever.

the thing is, all those recent threads with people raving about abs and being brad pitt in Fight club have awaken in me the desire to show'em (and me...) how it's done, lol.

like FE, I want to try hard for once, I have never ever done a proper diet, even when I was 13% I was doing a shitton of cardio and that was it.

I have to say it's harder than I thought. You can set a certain number of calories to get per day, but there's a thin line between cutting just to shed fat and cutting to the point where your gym sessions are shit because you lack energy.

and seeing my numbers on my lifts go down will piss me off as much or even more than my current gut... so.. it's not easy but I am a researcher and WILL find the path that best works for me.

Sphinx brah how was the workout yesterday? Did it end up being righteous shit?

eh, it was o.k, hehe.

I have to say, it did wonders for my mood, I felt like I conquered something. Today is leg day which I enjoy a lot, while my upper body rests.

time to get some depth in that squat while keeping my heels down.

yep, most of Bulk-GAF is now Cut-Gaf, but we'll all be back in October.

Imm0rt4l

I either strained my hip flexors or lost mobility there. Yesterdays squats sucked balls. Paused ass to grass for good measure. I need to get my mobilityWOD on.

rokkerkory

Next meal prep ideas, thoughts?

• Grass fed beef (grounded) 2.5lbs or 30oz.
  • Low sodium tomato sauce (organic)
  • Some carrots, onions maybe black beans (organic)
  • Brown rice and/or wheat pasta (organic)
  • 5oz of beef equates to about 25g of protein, rest of meal adds about another 8-10g of protein. ~650 calories per meal

Would last for 6 meals, across 3 days during brunch and late lunch for work.

Just love meal prepping now and just thinking about it makes me hungry.

blackflag

I dunno, I was like that as well.

I don't know what the hell you're eating but I'm like 155 at this point and the carb load still leaves me craving more, and I've been packing away corn, bagels, half boxes of cereal and pasta, popcorn, sweet potatoes, you name it.

Also you're supposed to start your carb load on the evening of the 4th day after the tension workout. Reread the book and take away the quotes, you either do UD2.0 or you don't :p

lol, I know it starts on the 4th day but I was just simplifying

The thing is that, these past couple days I have been eating around 1400 calories and I don't feel that hungry. It's not been bad at all. So I'm worried that having to triple+ my calorie intake on saturday means I will be shoving food until I explode.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

We're you able to do that many pushups right from the outset? If so, that would be another impressive feat of strength.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm happy most everyone in here is cutting. It may sound weak and hard to believe but it helps me in my own cut when I see people in here struggling with the same things I do. Here's to FitGaf and our quest to actually see all these muscles we know are under there somewhere!

Nice! I await your after pictures.

I already know that I'm going to be upset and frustrated at my end result lol

You should keep most of it. Keep that protein high and don't get discouraged when your bench and OHP slightly decrease.

Doing my best sir! Just gotta eat and keep things consistant.

afyTw.gif

Always love these reactions.

<3 Wufei

Yeah, Darth is a machine.

rokkerkory

I've done lots of pushups before working out consistently and it definitely helped me as well. I don't have much chest muscles yet but am stronger than I look in benching. A year ago I was 145 at my cut weight and could do rep 225 easily.

Petrie

Banned
I'm happy most everyone in here is cutting. It may sound weak and hard to believe but it helps me in my own cut when I see people in here struggling with the same things I do. Here's to FitGaf and our quest to actually see all these muscles we know are under there somewhere!

As I eat an entire box of wheat thins.

My quest to cut begins February first when I finally get my own place. Just too difficult living with my girlfriend's family.

SeanR1221

I have completely eliminated food reward. I don't really get any pleasure from eating

Cooter

I have completely eliminated food reward. I don't really get any pleasure from eating
Yeah, when you get to that point isn't it empowering to know you are in total control? In a perfect world what is your goal for this summer?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not there yet. Stringing my bulk out like a fuckin idiot still.

It's this cold weather. I'm like a bear, I gotta hibernate.

Cooter

Sean you know I love you but that sounds depressing and horrible.

We're still besties though.
It's short term until you accomplish your goal. It has to be that way for me too. I love food too much. When I'm maintaining I can loosen up a bit but during the initial weeks of a cut I need to completely cut ties with food as pleasure.

Petrie

Banned
It's short term until you accomplish your goal. It has to be that way for me too. I love food too much. When I'm maintaining I can loosen up a bit but during the initial weeks of a cut I need to completely cut ties with food as pleasure.

Oh I know my friend. I was just giving Sean shit.

SeanR1221

Yeah, when you get to that point isn't it empowering to know you are in total control? In a perfect world what is your goal for this summer?

I still want to keep the size I put on in my back, chest and shoulders but slim the waist down a little. No set goal, but I suppose like...18% bf would be nice. I'm pretty high right now, probably around 22-25%

Sean you know I love you but that sounds depressing and horrible.

We're still besties though.

I think making things like a routine just help. I can get too carried away with eating. That's why I'm taking the no cheat meal approach. It's definitely saving my wallet as well.

How many calories you eat a day?

Around 2500 on workout days and 2000 on rest days.

Loki

Count of Concision
We're you able to do that many pushups right from the outset? If so, that would be another impressive feat of strength.

No, I worked up to that over the course of several months. I was able to do about 25-30 iirc when I started at age 16.

Yesterday some ladies brought cupcakes to the workplace.

Today they brought homemade fudge.

Last week it was oatmeal cookies and cheesecake.

I haven't eaten any of it and I hate my life right now.

blackflag

I still want to keep the size I put on in my back, chest and shoulders but slim the waist down a little. No set goal, but I suppose like...18% bf would be nice. I'm pretty high right now, probably around 22-25%

I think making things like a routine just help. I can get too carried away with eating. That's why I'm taking the no cheat meal approach. It's definitely saving my wallet as well.

Around 2500 on workout days and 2000 on rest days.

How those weekends going for you? Arghhhhhh they are painful for me. Somewhat because of hunger but more because my mood changes.

SeanR1221

How those weekends going for you? Arghhhhhh they are painful for me. Somewhat because of hunger but more because my mood changes.

There are definitely triggers. Like...oh it's Saturday night, time to eat out somewhere. My wife is really supportive and has been cooking more too, which makes it easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom