• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
250 for 10 singles (OHP) today. I can definitely tell technique plays a huge part in my OHP numbers. When I unrack without setting up correctly or don't "fire" right the weight gets no where near lockout. Got all 10 today. Hoping to get 280 or more next month.

Also, I think I finally have a yoke, although it's not a huge one. Glad to finally see it coming in also the way your upper body looks after OHP day is insane lol.

Not a fan of these at all. Bad juju for your shoulders.

I've had better luck with snatch grip high pull:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLSckX-z3RM

That's what I use. Was banging out 205x5 today after OHP.

sphinx

the piano man
this has been a nice fitness week, I planned it all and I am sticking to it, let's see how this pays off.

Squats were much better today, I had a visual reference to know I've hit depth, next week I'll take video, and then to the next increment.

on that topic, do you guys know at what weight is it advisable to use knee sleeves?? x2 Bodyweight? more? less? I am not that far but I am starting to wonder, my legs are starting to tell me it's going to get hard from now on...

tomorrow 110 x 5 OHP for a first time ever... I am excited :O:O:O

Darth, I want your boobs, hehe ^_^

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
this has been a nice fitness week, I planned it all and I am sticking to it, let's see how this pays off.

Squats were much better today, I had a visual reference to know I've hit depth, next week I'll take video, and then to the next increment.

on that topic, do you guys know at what weight is it advisable to use knee sleeves?? x2 Bodyweight? more? less? I am not that far but I am starting to wonder, my legs are starting to tell me it's going to get hard from now on...

I use knee sleeves when I squat for farmers walk. Weight doesn't matter. Or do you mean wraps?

sphinx

the piano man
I use knee sleeves when I squat for farmers walk. Weight doesn't matter. Or do you mean wraps?

can you elaborate on the differences between both?

I think I mean knee sleeves for more of support when I go heavy weight (for my context anyway) but maybe I should learn what is used for what purpose first...

I see people using a belt on high weight but I still haven't felt a thing on my back when I squat, my knees on the other hand...I don't any substantial disconfort now, but long term, I fear for them.

You are well on your big guy, the progress you've made since you first posted here is incredible. You are noticeably bigger, and much stronger. Keep it up. GOGO, put me to shame. :)

b5TGdj3.jpg

Powercast

Depends, some of that is most definitely fat, but you're not going to gain without some fat gain. I try to keep mine to about 1lbs a week if I'm trying to minimize fat.

Most studies show that natural lifters can only achieve around 1-1.5lbs of lbm per month and that's only on the first few years of training. If someone wants to minimize fat gain while bulking they should probably shoot for no more than 2lbs/month.

@DarthWufei: You look sick bro.

SeanR1221

Sheeeeeet @ Darth

First temptation. Why did my wife bring Girl Scout cookies into this house!?

Eating chicken, green beans and black beans for dinner instead. Who needs those Samoas!

Sheeeeeet @ Darth

Eating chicken, green beans and black beans for dinner instead. Who needs those Samoas!

My wife's eats Oreos every night before bed so it's always in the pantry. The temptation is constantly killing me

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
can you elaborate on the differences between both?

I think I mean knee sleeves for more of support when I go heavy weight (for my context anyway) but maybe I should learn what is used for what purpose first...

I see people using a belt on high weight but I still haven't felt a thing on my back when I squat, my knees on the other hand...I don't any substantial disconfort now, but long term, I fear for them.

Knee sleeves are more for warmth and a little compression although some like elitefts super heavy sleeves will give rebound out of the hole. Knee wraps give rebound out of the hole, they WILL assist your lift. Knee sleeves typically won't.

Sheeeeeet @ Darth

I do, got some boxes coming too. Lol.

sphinx

the piano man
You are well on your big guy, the progress you've made since you first posted here is incredible. You are noticeably bigger, and much stronger. Keep it up. GOGO, put me to shame. :)

muscle POOOWERRRRRRR!

theside_zpsdc877a5a.jpg

I am coming for yaaaaa!!!

lol, ok, no, maybe in 6 years... or 10 or 12 :p

EDIT:

Knee sleeves are more for warmth and a little compression although some like elitefts super heavy sleeves will give rebound out of the hole. Knee wraps give rebound out of the hole, they WILL assist your lift. Knee sleeves typically won't.

I don't think I should be using anything that will assist the lift at this point, so it's normal knees sleeves what I meant then.

FUME5

G'day Fitgaf, looking for some advice.

I'm about to start lifting weights again (been doing cardio type stuff for the last 6 months, also did some stuff trying to strengthen tendons / joints etc and managed to give myself bursitis for a bit) and the Full Body program in the OT looks good.

Only thing is, I permenantly injured my back 15 years ago (ruptured disc between the L3 and L4) and frankly the deadlifts and power cleans are probably a little too risky due to that. Deadlifts due to the angle and power cleans due to being an explosive type movement.

Any recommendations for replacement excercises? I'll be working out at home, equipment will be weight bench, barbell, dumbells and pull up bar.

Thanks in advance.

Was looking forward to my lift today after a day off but I'm feeling pretty nauseous... wonder if it's ok to go :/

I see a lot of people complaining about being nauseous, to you guys I would recommend eating some ginger root. You can throw in a thumb sized ginger root into a Green Smoothie and drink that; its helped me tons with nausea and motion sickness

good luck and stay hungry!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
worst goddamn workout of my life. laid down for a second, woke up to a knock at my door since my brother comes over and we go lift. my body was all fucked up, out of step the whole time. hated it. just one of those days. never sleep then lift, not me, it can only end bad.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
omg. Something awesome happened just now. I come into work wearing a t-shirt, which I normally don't wear (t-shirts in general) and one of my attractive female co-workers looks at me, pokes me in my chest, smiles wryly and says "very nice" before walking away.

Motivation to work out just jumped a hundred fold. :D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
omg. Something awesome happened just now. I come into work wearing a t-shirt, which I normally don't wear (t-shirts in general) and one of my attractive female co-workers looks at me, pokes me in my chest, smiles wryly and says "very nice" before walking away.

We're all gonna make it brah.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Fucking exhausted but the muscle keeps packing on, nothing stops this train.

Gonna down a tub of strawberry greek yogourt and some chocolate milk.

Swole Beast

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So far my numbers haven't declined since starting my cut. Encouraging news. I seem to be "toning" up but I'm still about 200 pounds. Oh well, time will take care of things.

bu bu but GAF told me woman don't like men with big gross muscles

So what exactly in foods makes people fat? Is it carbs? Calories? Fat? Sugar?

I've been searching but it seems that everyplace says something different.

Mostly it is due to lack of exercise while consuming high amount of fatty food. You can have a terrible diet and still get away with it if you workout hard.

Diabetes and other diseases occur not because one has poor diet, its because their diet is poor and they don't exercise.

Cooter

At the gym today I had 2 people comment on my forearms so I decided to measure. Just did and my forearm is 14.5" and my arms (bis and tris) are 16.75"

How odd is that? I have no clue.

Noema

The truth is that we don't really know for sure. It's a pretty complicated issue because there are so many variables involved.

Calories in/ calories out is true...sometimes; but many individuals can get fat on a caloric deficit and low fat diets; many individuals can lose weight or avoid obesity on a caloric surplus and high fat diets; all things being equal a thermodynamic model (energy in / out) can sometimes predict and explain fat accumulation and loss; but that is often not the case in the real world.

For years saturated fats have been demonized as the culprit for both obesity and heart disease, but that has pretty much been ruled out in the past few years. So now the trend is to demonize carbs instead, but again, I don't think it's that simple, either; I don't think you can just point at a whole food group and say: this is bad.

My wild guess is that it's all a function of overall hormonal health and insulin sensitivity. Healthy individuals without wacky hormonal imbalances respond well to caloric deficits because their bodies can easily adapt to the homeostatic disruption produced by starvation by burning body fat; people who are within the threshold of Metabolic Syndrome (hyperinsulinemia as a result of low insulin sensitivity; already pretty fat with a slow metabolism) enter into some wild feedback loop where the body fights tooth and nail to hold on to the fat and being fat makes it easier to become fatter, thus making you more hyperinsulinemic which boosts your insuline sensitivity which makes you fatter which slows down your metabolism which makes you more hyperinsulinemic; their homeostasis will always adapt in ways that involve keeping the fat, even at the expense of muscle. Morbidly obesse people will literally starve to death before their bodies even start touching the fat they are carrying around them.

In other words, who knows.

mt1200

60.8 Kg right now (My weight was 64Kg before joining gym), i wish i can get down to my old 56 Kg back when I used to go to my workplace in bike.

I guess the workout and low carb pseudodiet is working, but I wouldn't complain if I keep the same weight but with more muscle instead of fat

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
60.8 Kg right now (My weight was 64Kg before joining gym), i wish i can get down to my old 56 Kg back when I used to go to my workplace in bike.

I guess the workout and low carb pseudodiet is working, but I wouldn't complain if I keep the same weight but with more muscle instead of fat

Wait, what? Isn't that like 130lbs?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
In other words, who knows.

Pretty much. We can make a lot of good guesses, but the body is an extremely complicated system that is constantly changing and adapting, and is never the same from one day to the next. Then you have genetic differences and external environmental factors that all come together to make it very difficult to give a simple answer that applies to everyone. There really isn't one, except for the simple rule that you need to consume mass to grow. I think it's best to search for mechanisms and the situations in which they are triggered when it comes to body fat accumulation or reduction. This is a very difficult thing to do because highly controlled dietary studies are nearly impossible to do. Therefore we're stuck with theory based off of our knowledge of human biology (which itself isn't infallible) or what we can extrapolate from animal tests.

Noema

How tall are you?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mostly it is due to lack of exercise while consuming high amount of fatty food. You can have a terrible diet and still get away with it if you workout hard.

Diabetes and other diseases occur not because one has poor diet, its because their diet is poor and they don't exercise.

Poor diet and exercise can still lead to diabetes, although the risk will be lower.

Good diet and even little to no exercise will offer a much better chance at not getting the 'betus.

Cooter

I'm way too fucking embarrassed to post pictures here. What the fuck guys, you make me look like a little girl. :|
Darth injected himself with gamma radiation. He scares everyone. That is if you didn't know him. Use him as a resource like we all do!

No matter how far along we are in weight training we all enjoy seeing progress. Post those pics!

Trying to get serious about lifting, here's what I've been doing in the gym the last few weeks, let me know if there are any changes I should make. I do 3 days, then a rest day.

Day 1-Bench, incline bench, pec fly, rope pull down, dips, tricep extension

Day 2-Bicep curls, wrist curls, shrugs, standing row, seated row, lat pull down

Day 3-Squats, calf raises, leg curl, leg extension, leg press

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Trying to get serious about lifting, here's what I've been doing in the gym the last few weeks, let me know if there are any changes I should make. I do 3 days, then a rest day.

Not enough information (goals, progression, structure etc) and more than likely yeah, you'd be better off changing everything.

Also, no deadlift? Heresy.

I'd start in th OP if you haven't already.

Noema

You should do the program stated in the OP; most of what you are doing is a waste of time for a novice.

To Wit:

Monday (Workout A)
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday (Workout B)
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday (A)
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

What you do is: you warm-up and then you pick a weight that you can do comfortably for 3 sets of 5 (your worksets). This is your starting weight, then you need to increase the weight on each exercise every session. So suppose you do 95lb 3 sets of 5 on squats on Monday (your first session), on Wednesday you'd do 100lb, 3 sets of 5 (after warming up), Friday 105lb, Monday 110lb, etc.

This applies to all the exercises; obviously you are going to be able to move more weight on Deadlifts and Squats and than press and bench; this is unimportant. The important thing is that you increase the weight every session. Workouts are alternated, so you always do ABABA, etc. So one week you'll do ABA but the next one you'll do BAB.

For more information, read the OP and also this

Eating too much of anything can do it. However, the thing that is most likely to do it in the modern world seems to be is carbs/sugar. Breads and pasta and potato chips and crackers and such are way easier for most people to binge on than something like steak and lead to lower satiety so you eat more later.

Imm0rt4l

Quest Nutrition just sent me a couple free Quest bars, so I'll finally try out this white chocolate raspberry and see if the hype is real. But apparently theres a cookies and cream flavor coming out or already released.

Repost!!!!!

Height: 6'1
Weight: Currently 200 lbs (dont know my bf%)
Goal: Gain maybe 5-10 lb of muscle, build strength, and yea maybe look good with my shirt off
Current Training Schedule: Body Beast routine 6 days a week
Current Training Equipment Available: 24 hour fitness equipment
Comments: I've dabbled in lifting until recently when I started and finished P90x and P90x2. Im currently doing the Body Beast program and I've made only modest gains. Part of it is I know I dont eat enough calories, maybe 2500 cal at most. My gf is vegetarian so I dont eat as much meat as I would if she wasn't veg. I do still try to eat protein rich foods such as beans, chick peas, etc. plus I drink a protein shake before and after workout mixed with creatine. I recently bought the SS 3rd edition off of Amazon after reading the OP. Equipment wise I have a 24 hr fitness and the location near me has 2 squat racks. So basically should I ditch this Body Beast program and dive straight into SS? Also any suggestions on upping my calorie intake w/o adding too much meat? I will post my regular food day in a separate post. If you guys want me to take a pic of myself i can do that too

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
G'day Fitgaf, looking for some advice.

I'm about to start lifting weights again (been doing cardio type stuff for the last 6 months, also did some stuff trying to strengthen tendons / joints etc and managed to give myself bursitis for a bit) and the Full Body program in the OT looks good.

Only thing is, I permenantly injured my back 15 years ago (ruptured disc between the L3 and L4) and frankly the deadlifts and power cleans are probably a little too risky due to that. Deadlifts due to the angle and power cleans due to being an explosive type movement.

Any recommendations for replacement excercises? I'll be working out at home, equipment will be weight bench, barbell, dumbells and pull up bar.

Thanks in advance.
If you're not sure about quicker/explosive movements it's ok to leave them out entirely, you can still make good progress without them. In terms of deadlifts/squats and the lower back here's what I'd look into:
- Consult with a sports physio who has experience with lifting. If there's a black iron, weightlifting or university gym (with a sports focus) in your area they should be able to point you in the right direction.

- Make sure the squat form you're using allows you to keep your lower back properly extended throughout the range of motion. Low-bar squats place less torque on the lower back.

- A proper weightlifting belt will enable you to brace your core harder and provide greater support to your spinal column.

J. Bravo

fuck man, i always end up playing basketball after work. was going to lift but nooooo they needed one more. gah!
gotta get back on my lifting game. on the plus side i nearly got a self oop tonight. gimme a month and i'll be jumping higher than i ever did pre injury.

Repost!!!!!

Height: 6'1
Weight: Currently 200 lbs (dont know my bf%)
Goal: Gain maybe 5-10 lb of muscle, build strength, and yea maybe look good with my shirt off
Current Training Schedule: Body Beast routine 6 days a week
Current Training Equipment Available: 24 hour fitness equipment
Comments: I've dabbled in lifting until recently when I started and finished P90x and P90x2. Im currently doing the Body Beast program and I've made only modest gains. Part of it is I know I dont eat enough calories, maybe 2500 cal at most. My gf is vegetarian so I dont eat as much meat as I would if she wasn't veg. I do still try to eat protein rich foods such as beans, chick peas, etc. plus I drink a protein shake before and after workout mixed with creatine. I recently bought the SS 3rd edition off of Amazon after reading the OP. Equipment wise I have a 24 hr fitness and the location near me has 2 squat racks. So basically should I ditch this Body Beast program and dive straight into SS? Also any suggestions on upping my calorie intake w/o adding too much meat? I will post my regular food day in a separate post. If you guys want me to take a pic of myself i can do that too
QajBagt.png

IDS Smartgainer. By far the best shake I have ever had. $50 for 30 servings. That nutrition info is when you mix with water btw. Not milk. One of those a day plus a 5g scoop of creatine will put mass on you real fast. Be aware however, that the smart gainer has 3g of creatine in it, so you will need to drink a lot of water. Don't want kidney failure ;)

And yeah jump straight into SS.

I'm joining the #teamcut today with the rest of you guys. I'm weighing about 222 lb at the moment (I'm ca 6'1) and my goal is to lose close 20 lb by the summer. We will see how it goes. For me just getting started is the most difficult thing... I always have an excuse to delay the diet with a day ot two. Or a week. I don't know, I should probably post some bulk pic here to keep me motivated..

Anyway, no gym for me today. I had to take my car to the service this morning so decided to run back home even though it was -18C outside. Fairly nippy weather to run ca 5k.

fuck man, i always end up playing basketball after work. was going to lift but nooooo they needed one more. gah!
gotta get back on my lifting game. on the plus side i nearly got a self oop tonight. gimme a month and i'll be jumping higher than i ever did pre injury.

QajBagt.png

IDS Smartgainer. By far the best shake I have ever had. $50 for 30 servings. That nutrition info is when you mix with water btw. Not milk. One of those a day plus a 5g scoop of creatine will put mass on you real fast. Be aware however, that the smart gainer has 3g of creatine in it, so you will need to drink a lot of water. Don't want kidney failure ;)

And yeah jump straight into SS.

Holy crap that can work. Thanks dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom