• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkerkory

You guys are making my effin hungry. It's 10:32am and I have another 28 minutes until first lunch. :(((((((((((((((((((((

FAKKKKK stomach is growling.

I've had 600 calories so far already.

J. Bravo

Yesterday some ladies brought cupcakes to the workplace.

Today they brought homemade fudge.

Last week it was oatmeal cookies and cheesecake.

I haven't eaten any of it and I hate my life right now.

posts like these make me glad i'm 22 and can eat whatever i want and still remain cut

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Aight marks, I've decided that I want to get lean as fuck. Strength be damned, I'm going to look pretty.

"What happened to you? You used to be cool, you've changed man."

LOL

I'm still pretty lean, visible ribs and 8 pack, considering the amount of food I'm eating. Sitting at 194lbs (5'9") these last few days and arms look to be 18" again.

There are definitely triggers. Like...oh it's Saturday night, time to eat out somewhere. My wife is really supportive and has been cooking more too, which makes it easier.

This reminds me, my fiancee is out of town this weekend so I am going to enjoy some fucking awesome Chinese take-out. Soooo looking forward to it.

Mmm banana nut bread (home made) and super dark coffee for breakfast. Eat it haters. Oh, wait, you can't! Bahahahhahaha.

While I'm complaining I did just finish a bulk phase where I was eating icecream, cookies, sweet potatoes, whatever I wanted for like 2 months and I gained MAYBE 5lbs.

Can't wait to do that again.

Man feels like everyone here is on that cut, think I'll change my plans to starting in February instead of March. I have to shave my beard at the end of February anyways so it's good to start early so I can get rid of the double chin that I'm sure is hidden under there

Mmm banana nut bread (home made) and super dark coffee for breakfast. Eat it haters. Oh, wait, you can't! Bahahahhahaha.

I can baby. Let me make room in my macros.

TOO EASY

"What happened to you? You used to be cool, you've changed man."

LOL

I'm still pretty lean, visible ribs and 8 pack, considering the amount of food I'm eating. Sitting at 194lbs (5'9") these last few days and arms look to be 18" again.

Big and lean is the way to be. My gut stuck out so far. DEPRESSING.

18 inches cold flexed! Suck it haters.

Also was able to do some some reps @ 100 for seated DB press

AGAIN TOO EASY.

Height: 6'1
Weight: Currently 200 lbs (dont know my bf%)
Goal: Gain maybe 5-10 lb of muscle, build strength, and yea maybe look good with my shirt off
Current Training Schedule: Body Beast routine 6 days a week
Current Training Equipment Available: 24 hour fitness equipment
Comments: I've dabbled in lifting until recently when I started and finished P90x and P90x2. Im currently doing the Body Beast program and I've made only modest gains. Part of it is I know I dont eat enough calories, maybe 2500 cal at most. My gf is vegetarian so I dont eat as much meat as I would if she wasn't veg. I do still try to eat protein rich foods such as beans, chick peas, etc. plus I drink a protein shake before and after workout mixed with creatine. I recently bought the SS 3rd edition off of Amazon after reading the OP. Equipment wise I have a 24 hr fitness and the location near me has 2 squat racks. So basically should I ditch this Body Beast program and dive straight into SS? Also any suggestions on upping my calorie intake w/o adding too much meat? I will post my regular food day in a separate post. If you guys want me to take a pic of myself i can do that too

moocow

Every now and again I try to use a belt for squats or deadlifts, but I always run into the same problem. They ALWAYS rub up against either my rib or my hip bones to the point of just jamming right into them. The last one I tried was I think 4 inches wide and I think it actually made my lift harder than had I done it without a belt.

Am I stuck having to lift without a belt for the rest of my life? Cause squatting above three plates without any support really scares me.

Petrie

Banned
Every now and again I try to use a belt for squats or deadlifts, but I always run into the same problem. They ALWAYS rub up against either my rib or my hip bones to the point of just jamming right into them. The last one I tried was I think 4 inches wide and I think it actually made my lift harder than had I done it without a belt.

Am I stuck having to lift without a belt for the rest of my life? Cause squatting above three plates without any support really scares me.

That's not what a belt is supposed to do.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Anybody who can help me out real quick... about to lift, but want to get some opinions. I've heard conflicting things about the shoulder press. When you come down, should you only come down to a 90 degree angle or further down? I usually go down to the chest, but I've read that puts unnecessary strain on the rotator cuff. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You can do it without the belt!

Mike O'Hearn squats 700 lbs. raw

Yeah, people say he's a juicer, but still impressive!

moocow

That's not what a belt is supposed to do.

A belt is supposed to help you lift more weight by giving you something to push up against when you do the valsalva meneuver, By my understanding , if it helps me lift 10-20 pounds of more weight, then it should certainly help me feel more stable under my current weight.

I never use a belt for squats and I have yet to have an injury to my back.

Then again I have yet to really stray too far from the 315 area, nor do I plan to.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Anybody who can help me out real quick... about to lift, but want to get some opinions. I've heard conflicting things about the shoulder press. When you come down, should you only come down to a 90 degree angle or further down? I usually go down to the chest, but I've read that puts unnecessary strain on the rotator cuff. Thoughts?

I touch my upper chest and feel that those who don't aren't getting the full impact of the lift. My 2 cents...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I touch my upper chest and feel that those who don't aren't getting the full impact of the lift. My 2 cents...

Alright I'll go back to that then, was reading recently that going that far is bad for the cuff, but that's how I've always done it.

Cudder

Alright I'll go back to that then, was reading recently that going that far is bad for the cuff, but that's how I've always done it.

There's more stress on the rotator cuff if you were to stop at 90 degrees than if you were to just bring the weight down and touch your chest.

moocow

I never use a belt for squats and I have yet to have an injury to my back.

Then again I have yet to really stray too far from the 315 area, nor do I plan to.

Yea, for stupid ego reasons I want to eventually get to a 405 squat and 500 dead. But after 4 plates for deads and 3 plates for squats it just becomes scary.

You should keep most of it. Keep that protein high and don't get discouraged when your bench and OHP slightly decrease.
Listen to the champ Falling. You won't lose anything noticeable unless you get contest ready. Not to mention you will simply look bigger due to the amount of definition you have. A lot of people thought I was getting bigger even though I had been cutting for months.

Always love these reactions.

<3 Wufei
lol, <3 you guys. Yes Oblivion, that pic and my avatar are both of me.

Cooter

Yea, for stupid ego reasons I want to eventually get to a 405 squat and 500 dead. But after 4 plates for deads and 3 plates for squats it just becomes scary.
Nah. That's all in your head. I only use my belt for my last set of deads at 455 and squats at 385. Everything leading up to that is belt free. That includes a set of 5 DLs at 405 and a set of 6 squats at 335. Push through the mental barrier and realize you are one strong mofo capable of extraordinary feats!

If I am doing a standing barbell lift like OHP, then yes. If it is a dumbbell lift of any kind, nope.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
God damn upright rows leave my shoulder achy, anybody else experience that? It's always been a little unstable/clicky, think I might have a minor tear in a labrum.

No. This is just me, but I about never use a belt unless I am doing heavy barbell work (deads, bent over rows), otherwise it just gets in the way. I have never liked the feeling of skating with a belt, but I will one if I am going particuary heavy and it is a new weight.

Cooter

God damn upright rows leave my shoulder achy, anybody else experience that? It's always been a little unstable/clicky, think I might have a minor tear in a labrum.
I stopped doing them years ago. Not worth it when there are so many other options.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
yeah those are bad

I stopped doing them years ago. Not worth it when there are so many other options.

The exercise is bad? This is crazy I just read a ton of the same response on various different forums. Sounds like I have a shoulder impingement that flares up with a certain ROM and need to warm up/strengthen my cuff. What's a better alternative? Sounds like most people have dropped that exercise.

moocow

Nah. That's all in your head. I only use my belt for my last set of deads at 455 and squats at 385. Everything leading up to that is belt free. That includes a set of 5 DLs at 405 and a set of 6 squats at 335. Push through the mental barrier and realize you are one strong mofo capable of extraordinary feats!

Thanks man, but thats exactly what my issue is. I don't know why I can't get the belt to sit right. Is it supposed to feel like it is jamming into my hips or ribs? Because it throws me off during the lift

No. This is just me, but I about never use a belt unless I am doing heavy barbell work (deads, bent over rows), otherwise it just gets in the way. I have never liked the feeling of skating with a belt, but I will one if I am going particuary heavy and it is a new weight.

Yea, I'm starting to think it's not worth it at all. I think I will just lay off of any sort of maxing for those lifts and just play it safe with higher reps.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I get them from time to time if I go too crazy on shoulder lifts, especially upright rows or any kind of raise. I try to baby them if I get any unusual pain, it hasn't happened in a long while. If there are any lifts I would ego check, it's shoulder lifts.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah, I get them from time to time if I go too crazy on shoulder lifts, especially upright rows or any kind of raise. I try to baby them if I get any unusual pain, it hasn't happened in a long while. If there are any lifts I would ego check, it's shoulder lifts.

Pretty much everything I'm reading says the motion is horrible for your cuff and various tendons in your shoulder so I'm gonna drop em. Most say shrugs are the way to go, any other recommendations? Also since I'm just starting out on shrugs what's the best weight to give it a shot?

Upright rows are NOT bad. It REALLY depends on how much weight you are doing, grip positioning, posture, a bunch of shit.

Upright rows should not be solely hitting your shoulders, and if you are do a lift that maximizes shoulder impact, like a close grip or something, then go only heavy enough to feel the burn. It isn't a heavy lift.

I do upright rows in almost all of my shoulder routines, and I have done it for years.

EDIT: Well everyone hates them lol. Don't do them if you don't want to. They can easily go bad I agree, but I have never had a problem, but I also never make them a focus on my workouts.

Some alternatives I like doing are cable raises. You get the same burn even going very light.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Upright rows are NOT bad. It REALLY depends on how much weight you are doing, grip positioning, posture, a bunch of shit.

Upright rows should not be solely hitting your shoulders, and if you are do a lift that maximizes shoulder impact, like a close grip or something, then go only heavy enough to feel the burn. It isn't a heavy lift.

I do upright rows in almost all of my shoulder routines, and I have done it for years.

EDIT: Well everyone hates them lol. Don't do them if you don't want to. They can easily go bad I agree, but I have never had a problem, but I also never make them a focus on my workouts.

Some alternatives I like doing are cable raises. You get the same burn even going very light.

I have a damaged right shoulder anyways... from the sounds of it, most people have some wear on their dominant shoulder that flares up every now and then actually, but for now I'm gonna drop them, it's the only motion that still hurts my shoulder.

Speaking of this anybody dealt with a SLAP tear or general Labrum tear in the shoulder?

Cooter

This is true. At a lower weight they are fine. I have a sickness that forces me to lift more if I'm able. I've tried taking it easy at lower weights but inevitably end up going up for the simple fact that I can. That's why I don't bother with many exercises that I can't lift close to my max. Shoulder raises are the one exception but they bring me the ultimate shoulder cuts so I endure. ;-)

This is true. At a lower weight they are fine. I have a sickness that forces me to lift more if I'm able. I've tried taking it easy at lower weights but inevitably end up going up for the simple fact that I can. That's why I don't bother with many exercises that I can't lift close to my max. Shoulder raises are the one exception but they bring me the ultimate shoulder cuts so I endure. ;-)
Haha, I can understand the feeling. You're a beastly dude broski, gotta keep it beastly in the gym too.

Also raises are awesome. I like to do burn outs on raises and somehow still feel like a total man when I get down to those dinky weights. Shoulder cuts man, hell yeah!

18229_10152282652190082_650137784_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
OHP is a slow beast to conquer Sean. Most fulfilling lift imho though. I remember my first time...how things have changed!

Cooter

Haha, I can understand the feeling. You're a beastly dude broski, gotta keep it beastly in the gym too.

Also raises are awesome. I like to do burn outs on raises and somehow still feel like a total man when I get down to those dinky weights. Shoulder cuts man, hell yeah!

I forget how Fing huge you are sometimes. Jesus!

Yeah, when I pick up the 15s for side raises the man feeling is still there too! No rocking or cheating, just a guy doing vanity raises like a boss!!

I forget how Fing huge you are sometimes. Jesus!

Yeah, when I pick up the 15s for side raises the man feeling is still there too! No rocking or cheating, just a guy doing vanity raises like a boss!!
I mean, you do it for the shoulder peaks man. Bicep peaks? Baby stuff. Nothing more manly than a shoulder peak that reaches your ears dude! Shoulders raises with a mirror, always a winner in my book.

<3 Cooter.

SeanR1221

"How did that football player get out of the screen!?"

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I mean, you do it for the shoulder peaks man. Bicep peaks? Baby stuff. Nothing more manly than a shoulder peak that reaches your ears dude! Shoulders raises with a mirror, always a winner in my book.

<3 Cooter.

How much protein do you take in a day, and how many cals do you take in on a cut?

rokkerkory

Did you just start the cut? I struggled with hunger the first few days, but I increased my fat intake a bit and it helped a ton.

Nope not yet man! Fighting to stay on bulking path until end of Feb.

Reading that many of you are starting to cut doesn't help however haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom