• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Not a bad idea, Ken. It would make things go faster.

I think I'm going to order a couple shirts from iron sport today.

NewShirt2-14.jpg

And

DYELFINAL.jpg

LAME. I demand that from here on out all goal physique pictures be Punch-Out characters.

Isn't that better?

You should be doing it anyways! 30' of LISS a couple times a week isn't gonna make your gains evaporate and it's good for the ticker. Just put an episode of south park on your phone or something.

lol @ generic ab guy

March - June. Lose 5 lbs a month. LET'S GO.

Regarding the high/low-bar squats:

Do high-bar squatters generally use a wider stance? This seems to be the case from YouTube videos I've looked at over the past few months. What I've come to realize is that I use low bar positioning, but usually keep my feet narrow relative to most people I see using this technique. Or am I wrong?

Regarding the high/low-bar squats:

Do high-bar squatters generally use a wider stance? This seems to be the case from YouTube videos I've looked at over the past few months. What I've come to realize is that I use low bar positioning, but usually keep my feet narrow relative to most people I see using this technique. Or am I wrong?

There's a ton of variance in stance width. It has to do with flexibility, femur length, height, etc.

lol @ generic ab guy

March - June. Lose 5 lbs a month. LET'S GO.

I'm on board with this. Weighed in at 198 yesterday. I'm aiming to hit 185ish.

MjFrancis

I don't want to be the guy who starts another one of "those threads" so I'll leave it here for one of you guys to do it.

Average Obese Woman Gets Just 1 Hour of Exercise a Year
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20140220/average-obese-woman-gets-just-1-hour-of-exercise-a-year-study

The average obese man doesn't get much more, either. So many people doubt the correlation between a sedentary existence to obesity, they like to say it's all "just diet." That's short sighted at best. If you spend more time sitting on your ass, you have more opportunity to make poor dietary choices. The Western lifestyle has put the sedentary life in everyone's reach, and the piss poor dietary choices go hand-in-hand with the piss poor lifestyle choices.

Zoe

Wooo, bucking the trend.

Though:
One expert did note that the definition of vigorous exercise was very limited in the study, and the researchers themselves acknowledged that the device used to track physical activity did not measure swimming or biking very well.

Lifting wouldn't be considered "vigorous" either.

I don't want to be the guy who starts another one of "those threads" so I'll leave it here for one of you guys to do it.

Average Obese Woman Gets Just 1 Hour of Exercise a Year
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20140220/average-obese-woman-gets-just-1-hour-of-exercise-a-year-study

The average obese man doesn't get much more, either. So many people doubt the correlation between a sedentary existence to obesity, they like to say it's all "just diet." That's short sighted at best. If you spend more time sitting on your ass, you have more opportunity to make poor dietary choices. The Western lifestyle has put the sedentary life in everyone's reach, and the piss poor dietary choices go hand-in-hand with the piss poor lifestyle choices.

RIP to the account of whomever among us starts that thread.

Also, 1 hour a year surprises the hell out of me. I knew it was low, but damn. Ah, Zoe and MjFrancis have a solid point; if biking, swimming ,and weight training weren't included then that certainly has to skew the results a bit.

MjFrancis

Zoe hits the nail on the head, too. Vigorous was mostly conforming to, well, vigorous cardio and lifting wasn't included. Though I doubt very many in the study lifted weights at all.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Good luck with that my man. Last time me and my wife worked out together I'm pretty sure I would have been found dead in the woods if she had been able to get a solid alibi.
We've worked out together for years. This was just the first time she's come right out and asked for help. But last night I come home and she's eating thin mints. Not gonna touch that with a 10 foot pole!

rokkerkory

We've worked out together for years. This was just the first time she's come right out and asked for help. But last night I come home and she's eating thin mints. Not gonna touch that with a 10 foot pole!

you are a smart smart man... im sure this is why your marriage is a happy one haha

You are a wise man. I'm sure you will continue to stay quiet when hours later she says something like "Uhhh I don't know why but my stomach is bothering me"

The Chef

Dude good for you. I completely lack the wisdom for that. Same thing happens and my wife wanted to follow whatever routine I was doing.
Day 2 she was putting back a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats. Made me almost blow a gasket.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've learned something over my 34 years! I wish I had a wife I could level with and get stern with about that stuff like I would a buddy but I'm not certain that woman even exists.

Visceir

Back from my first workout on BCAA-s. I took one scoop like 4 hours before to try out the flavor and then prepared another mixture with 1 scoop for my workout with creatine thrown in. Dunno if it is the placebo effect or if it hit exactly the right spot, but I estimate I felt ~15 - 20% stronger and needed to rest 1/3 less than before.

I'll give it a few more workouts before I turn into a believer but I'm really liking this so far.

Also feeling like I've still got lots of energy left in me.

velociraptor

So... lifting more than 1 hour = catabolic = muscle loss = bro science?

I workout my legs and shoulders together. Takes like 1hour 15 mins. 1 hour 30 if I factor in all my stretching and warming up.

Cudder

weighed myself this morning at 227lbs. I keep going up, and I honestly couldn't tell you why or how. I haven't changed my eating habits at all from when I was just maintaining at 215, yet I keep going up. I'm not complaining. Though I guess I'm "bulking" without even intending to do so.

On a related note: I think with the added weight I put on made me belt a lot tighter. for deadlifts today I actually threw up a little bit in my mouth. :|

pics from today. I need to work on my bicep peak but i fucking hate doing biceps. :(

image.jpg

tri.jpg

body.jpg

not the best pics, but oh well. i've been pretty self conscious about my progress in terms of looks. been working out for 2.5 years, and I feel like for how strong I am, I should look better. guess that serves me right for not looking after my diet. I'll post pics soon enough, from when I started and where i am now.

weighed myself this morning at 227lbs. I keep going up, and I honestly couldn't tell you why or how. I haven't changed my eating habits at all from when I was just maintaining at 215, yet I keep going up. I'm not complaining. Though I guess I'm "bulking" without even intending to do so.

On a related note: I think with the added weight I put on made me belt a lot tighter. for deadlifts today I actually threw up a little bit in my mouth. :|

pics from today. I need to work on my bicep peak but i fucking hate doing biceps. :(

image.jpg

tri.jpg

body.jpg

not the best pics, but oh well. i've been pretty self conscious about my progress in terms of looks. been working out for 2.5 years, and I feel like for how strong I am, I should look better. guess that serves me right for not looking after my diet. I'll post pics soon enough, from when I started and where i am now.

never thought I'd hear anyone say this. Nice progress keep it up man

sphinx

the piano man
I can't remember when was the last time I had such a good session like today, I broke the 5X3 PR on squat, first time ever in that weight, 232 lbs. it really felt easy and assistance was also great, No problems with the knees, no feeling sick, dizzy, sleepy, nothing, just like you want to feel the entire time.

I am happy,

I realized it's hard to take convincing legs pics, I have tried different postures but I am never satisfied, This is the best I could come up with to show that I have a little bit of quads there.

piernaphotobucket_zpsd12b0666.jpg

what about eveveryone's legs? how has everybody been doing on lower body? strength, volume, size. etc. (and dont forget: pics or nothing ever happened! haha)

Cudder

Looking real solid to me.

never thought I'd hear anyone say this. Nice progress keep it up man

'ppreciate it. yeah i've always hated doing bi's. I think once I max out on all of my 5RM compounds, I'll make a switch to a more bodybuilding style routine. it's gonna be hard though, not setting PR's every week. linear progression is addictive, and is a big motivator for me to get to the gym every day.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So... lifting more than 1 hour = catabolic = muscle loss = bro science?

I workout my legs and shoulders together. Takes like 1hour 15 mins. 1 hour 30 if I factor in all my stretching and warming up.

Yes, dude, it's a bunch of shit. Stop and think about it for a second. Why would one hour be the magic spot? One hour doesn't mean anything to your body, it's just a convenient arbitrary number. It makes even less sense when you think that people are doing different loads and exercises within that window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom