• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been sure about my weight. I'm 6'4" and 250 currently. I feel thats not too overweight. What do you say FitGaf?

I have permanent lines on my shins from deadlifts now lol.

rage1973

I've learned something over my 34 years! I wish I had a wife I could level with and get stern with about that stuff like I would a buddy but I'm not certain that woman even exists.
I know what you mean.
My wife almost divorced me when I had the audacity to tell her she could lose some weight after having our kids. Of course she didn't make a big deal when she would make jabs at my belly during my overweight days.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I know what you mean.
My wife almost divorced me when I had the audacity to tell her she could lose some weight after having our kids. Of course she didn't make a big deal when she would make jabs at my belly during my overweight days.
But you're a man. That stuff doesn't bother you....

sphinx

the piano man
I spend two hours in the gym as well.

Actually lifting.... I think 1.25 hours. Depending on the day and exercise, I have longer rest periods.

Chocobro

I'm in the gym for 1.5H to 2H, three times a week. ~20-30 minutes is warmup and about 1H to 1H15m of lifting.
--------------------------------------------------
I more or less finished revising my warm-up routine. Any opinions or recommendations?
Well it's a pair. When I got them they were like $30 for a pair...crazy.
Would it be better to buy knee sleeves and just use them on the shins for DLs? When you get to the point where you want to use knee sleeves for squats or whatever, you have them already. Two birds with one stone in a way.
BTW AJanitor, I tried Sotts Press today with a 35lb bar. God damn :( I need to up my shoulder flexibility game. First few tries resulted in the bar coming forward but I got it after a few tries. Using my BP grip width.

rage1973

Would it be better to buy knee sleeves and just use them on the shins for DLs? When you get to the point where you want to use knee sleeves for squats or whatever, you have them already. Two birds with one stone in a way.

Go to amazon and look up shin sleeves.
Any of those McDavid should cost around $20 a pair and work fine.

rage1973

I decided to get some advanced blood test done on WellnessFX. It should give me some good insight into my testerone level at my age.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
2 times a week though, right?

2-3 really don't keep track. That's something I've learned works for m. I don't schedule my routine by days. I typically go every other day to every third day depending on life and recovery. I go pretty hard at the gym sometimes and it's not unusual for me to be sore a week after training a specific movement. For example, I trained squat about 4 or 5 days ago and I'm still sore.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the gym for 1.5H to 2H, three times a week. ~20-30 minutes is warmup and about 1H to 1H15m of lifting.

Is there any reason why you do so much stretching? Do find it harder to lift if you don't?

Might work, I use both though a lot. For most people some track pants will work fine.

BTW AJanitor, I tried Sotts Press today with a 35lb bar. God damn :( I need to up my shoulder flexibility game. First few tries resulted in the bar coming forward but I got it after a few tries. Using my BP grip width.

Like I said, it's WAY harder than it looked. Everyone laughs at it and then tries it.

Chocobro

Go to amazon and look up shin sleeves.
Any of those McDavid should cost around $20 a pair and work fine.
That looks affordable. I may consider it if my shins are that bothered by the scraping of the bar.
Is there any reason why you do so much stretching? Do find it harder to lift if you don't?
My routine is a combination of some SMR, mobility work, and to get the areas warm. I plan to get into OL so mobility is important. Some areas are tight (primarily the hips) because I sit often as a student; I need to loosen those areas up a bit. I spend around that time depending on how efficient I am. I actually don't know if it is harder to lift if I don't. Ever since I started lifting, I always warm-up before it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Quick funny story...

I met a classmate of my wife's at the gym doing my hi rep DLs today. I was explaining how I lift heavy for lower reps on Tuesday and on Fridays I do my light DLs with higher reps. She looks over at the 375 and with her eyes big and mouth open says, "this is your light day?!"

Haha Like a Boss!

Szu

Quick funny story...

I met a classmate of my wife's at the gym doing my hi rep DLs today. I was explaining how I lift heavy for lower reps on Tuesday and on Fridays I do my light DLs with higher reps. She looks over at the 375 and with her eyes big and mouth open says, "this is your light day?!"

Haha Like a Boss!

Then, you should have told her that you're just warming up.

rage1973

Quick funny story...

Haha Like a Boss!

Is she hot?

mt1200

All this selective food eating is making me go broke, I've literally spent a lot of money lately, specially on snacks since nuts and dark chocolate aren't so cheap. Fresh veggies might be cheap but I have to buy them too often regarding that I mainly eat salad+meat for everyday dinner.

Tuna cans, peanuts, sugar-free jello, sugar-free 70%+cocoa dark chocolate (Iron, protein, fat, tasty, it's just too good to be true!), sugar-free/0-cal drink mixes, fresh veggies, frozen berries, damn i'm spending a lot on low cal food. But I find no problems with that since i'm seeing results, not as fast as I want and that makes me lose a bit of motivation, but nevertheless the results are still slowly showing up as I go.

Some of my coworkers have been in the gym for like 2+ years and they are still fat, yet strong due to weight lifting, but fat anyways due to their unbalanced crappy diets, they eat tons of carbs, sugar, drink coke, and always say "I shouldn't worry about that, i'll hit the gym harder tomorrow" trying to justify their bad diets. Heh, I just want to see their faces by June or July when they see me leaner and stronger in way less time and say straight in their faces "I told ya'll to reduce your insanely high carb and sugars intake if you wanted to see any results at the gym, I was eating right yet you still made fun of me or didn't take me seriously, now whos getting ripped and whos not :p ?".

I'm on about 56-56.5Kg now (remember guys, i'm only 1.58-1.60cm, so my weight is within the normal range), my old 1500 daily cal limit + binge saturday (2800+cal) formula still works.

Can't wait to end my fat-loss phase and start my bulking phase next month.

TL;DR - Spending too much on healthy food, but not worried because I'm seeing results, coworkers don't care about what they eat, and they are still fat betas after years at the gym

IceCold

Buy in bulk if you can or when things are on sale. What I mean by the latter is don't buy food based on the dishes you want to make, choose the dishes you'll make based on what's on sale.

Just with the bar, squats make my lower back ache "(

This also happens when I do a lot of crunches.

According to the internet my lower back is weak, my abs contracted, my quads tight, my spine lordosed and my hamstrings fucked up. I will do yoga starting this monday, buy a foam roller, do more core exercises, do more squats and deadlifts (with just the bar, sigh), will throw everything in. What else?

SeanR1221

All this selective food eating is making me go broke, I've literally spent a lot of money lately, specially on snacks since nuts and dark chocolate aren't so cheap. Fresh veggies might be cheap but I have to buy them too often regarding that I mainly eat salad+meat for everyday dinner.

Tuna cans, peanuts, sugar-free jello, sugar-free 70%+cocoa dark chocolate (Iron, protein, fat, tasty, it's just too good to be true!), sugar-free/0-cal drink mixes, fresh veggies, frozen berries, damn i'm spending a lot on low cal food. But I find no problems with that since i'm seeing results, not as fast as I want and that makes me lose a bit of motivation, but nevertheless the results are still slowly showing up as I go.

Some of my coworkers have been in the gym for like 2+ years and they are still fat, yet strong due to weight lifting, but fat anyways due to their unbalanced crappy diets, they eat tons of carbs, sugar, drink coke, and always say "I shouldn't worry about that, i'll hit the gym harder tomorrow" trying to justify their bad diets. Heh, I just want to see their faces by June or July when they see me leaner and stronger in way less time and say straight in their faces "I told ya'll to reduce your insanely high carb and sugars intake if you wanted to see any results at the gym, I was eating right yet you still made fun of me or didn't take me seriously, now whos getting ripped and whos not :p ?".

I'm on about 56-56.5Kg now (remember guys, i'm only 1.58-1.60cm, so my weight is within the normal range), my old 1500 daily cal limit + binge saturday (2800+cal) formula still works.

TL;DR - Spending too much on healthy food, but not worried because I'm seeing results, coworkers don't care about what they eat, and they are still fat betas after years at the gym

Fat betas? Maybe they don't care about aesthetics? Also, are you still doing that nonsense routine your trainer gave you or have you finally started a real routine?

Something about this post really rubs me the wrong way. You've barely been training and you probably still have that awful routine. Meanwhile, you're in the Low T thread complaining how shy you are and can't talk to girls. But come in here calling all your co-workers betas and think as a gym noob you'll show them up with a few months of gym time and sugar free jell-o.

Just train smart, eat, sleep. Just focus on that.

SeanR1221

Sean, what's a "Beta" in this context? Never heard that expression before.

Beta as in alphas and betas. Alphas are the pack leader and betas are below them. An actual hierarchy in animals.

For example, my dog sees me as the alpha. She won't go through the door before I go through, won't eat until I eat, etc.

ILoveBish

I did it! My 1's week for deadlift was 375lbs, did it easily but didnt do a 2nd one even tho i could have easily done it. I put the barbell down, put on another 45lb plate, and i finally deadlifted 405lbs! 4 plates is DONE. Damn it felt so good. Gonna take a day or 2 off then go back for bench and squat 1's. So happy i got to 4 plates!

sphinx

the piano man
Understood.

Mt1200, I think you should mind your own Business instead of thinking about your coworkers. I bet they don't give a fuck about your looks or eating behaviour.

In short: follow Sean's advice.

Only worked out once this week,and didn't even do my weekly running schedule due to continued illness. Really fucking sucks. :-(

I feel like its gonna impend my cutting a little bit. Good thing is that I feel that I'm finally recovering from the flu, so I might be back in the gym first thing come monday. May have to postpone my deadlift PR atempt though....

Long time lurker and occasional poster, only because I can't catch up with the pages, today I finally did.

I've been wondering, are there any studies that demonstrate a difference in growth response between training a muscle fresh and hard vs training it later in the workout?

In other words and for example, Is there any benefit for a dedicated arms day to train arms with heavy weight that is otherwise not possible after a lot of benching/rowing.

Go_Ly_Dow

Started playing football (soccer) twice a week and man do my legs fucking ache. Finding it really difficult to fit in squats atm because then my deadlift day fucks them up again!

My goal is to gain leg mass but seems like it will prove difficult now.

velociraptor

Honestly, who cares about others? The only person you should be fighting against is yourself. You are your own yardstick. Just focus on yourself and that's it.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Tennis ball shoes are in!

They feel a lot more stable than my Do-Wins.

W3NaT7S.jpg

grumble

Long time lurker and occasional poster, only because I can't catch up with the pages, today I finally did.

I've been wondering, are there any studies that demonstrate a difference in growth response between training a muscle fresh and hard vs training it later in the workout?

In other words and for example, Is there any benefit for a dedicated arms day to train arms with heavy weight that is otherwise not possible after a lot of benching/rowing.

No research I'm aware of. Anecdotal evidence indicates that people are generally able to go harder on an exercise that's first in line. I'd skip the arms day; aside from being of minimal benefit over tossing it in during a normal training session, it's inefficient. Why spend an extra day in the gym for so little gain?

Veezy

que?
So, as mentioned, I'm now a Personal Training manager for, quite possibly, one of the most premier gym facilities in America, certainly in the South. It's 120,000 sq feet and cost 17 mil+ to build. It's incredible.

It's also run, of course, like it's NOT as huge or expensive or premier as it truly is. So, to help correct that, they brought in two people to run the PT department.

Me, ten + years in business management in the corporate world. Being a facility run by a corporate structure but with the policies of a small club, I'm here to, basically, be the paperwork and hiring/firing guy. Also, of course, to help with sales. Then, there's my partner. He's got 10+ years of going into gyms with failing PT departments and helping to restructure them. His job is helping to train the trainers. And to, of course, do sales.

However, as would be the case, the department wasn't near being ready to go by 1-13 for our grand opening and we're still dealing with the growing pains. With our combined experience, it's kinda like being on the Titanic, seeing the ice burg, putting it on the map, and then trying to steer the ship away with rowing oars. It's a mess.

However, being to train here is an absolute dream. Five pools, a rock wall, a full strength and conditioning area (Complete with a 25,000 Keiser compression power rack!!!) makes this one of the few facilities where you can truly do everything.

Except, no rowers. Not a one. Just, ugh.

despire

So, as mentioned, I'm now a Personal Training manager for, quite possibly, one of the most premier gym facilities in America, certainly in the South. It's 120,000 sq feet and cost 17 mil+ to build. It's incredible.

It's also run, of course, like it's NOT as huge or expensive or premier as it truly is. So, to help correct that, they brought in two people to run the PT department.

Me, ten + years in business management in the corporate world. Being a facility run by a corporate structure but with the policies of a small club, I'm here to, basically, be the paperwork and hiring/firing guy. Also, of course, to help with sales. Then, there's my partner. He's got 10+ years of going into gyms with failing PT departments and helping to restructure them. His job is helping to train the trainers. And to, of course, do sales.

However, as would be the case, the department wasn't near being ready to go by 1-13 for our grand opening and we're still dealing with the growing pains. With our combined experience, it's kinda like being on the Titanic, seeing the ice burg, putting it on the map, and then trying to steer the ship away with rowing oars. It's a mess.

However, being to train here is an absolute dream. Five pools, a rock wall, a full strength and conditioning area (Complete with a 25,000 Keiser compression power rack!!!) makes this one of the few facilities where you can truly do everything.

Except, no rowers. Not a one. Just, ugh.

Nice dude, hope you will like it there :)

No research I'm aware of. Anecdotal evidence indicates that people are generally able to go harder on an exercise that's first in line. I'd skip the arms day; aside from being of minimal benefit over tossing it in during a normal training session, it's inefficient. Why spend an extra day in the gym for so little gain?
I agree. I don't have an arms day, was just wondering if I could be missing out.
I have a friend who eats about 11 pieces of toast everyday to bulk (other than the other foods he is eating of course) is this a good way to bulk ?
Maybe that's how he ensure he gets his carbs in, it depends on his whole diet to determine if he is overdoing it or even underdoing it!

sphinx

the piano man
The all-arm session is one of those topics in which there's two sides. When I asked here whether I should incorporate an arm-only workout session, Brolic and cooter were against it.

But then other regulars have mentioned in the past they have done arm sessions. If memory serves me right, AbuC and Mr.ThoughPants.*

I think the thing is, if people want to grow the muscles in any one body part. Isolation moves will prove to be useful. Whether it's done after compounds or on a different day, it's a matter of choice and efficiency.

*if this is not acurate, please forgive. I'll edit immediately.

rage1973

I have a friend who eats about 11 pieces of toast everyday to bulk (other than the other foods he is eating of course) is this a good way to bulk ?

There are many studies to show harmful effects of gluten so in my opinion getting carbs from bread is one of the worst ways I can think of.

Are we talking purely whitebread toast or sandwiches?

If it's the former: Doesnt sound like a particuluarly health way of bulking. He's probably having deficit of practical and optimal nutrition to produce building block for his body.

EDIT: But hey, what do I know.... if your friend is underweight its possibly a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom