• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

some damn good shit man

235x3 bench press, new PR. I've been stuck at 225x4 for a couple of weeks so I decided to just up the weight and see what happens. Worked out! Though the "calculated 1RM" between the two isn't much different.

Now the sad part...squat was only 235x2 haha. I'm still suffering from some weakness from my broken ankle/back last year it seems, at least that's what I tell myself.

congrats, that's around where i am with my bench

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
A couple things...

I did LTEs like Rip instructed in a video that was posted a few days ago. Really loaded it up and threw it to the ceiling. Felt great and it was fun. My tris are extra sore today too. I also went false grip on my OHP which is a change for me. Could anyone of these result in my traps being sore? It seems odd that I'm feeling them so much the day after when I never have.

Szu

A couple things...

I did LTEs like Rip instructed in a video that was posted a few days ago. Really loaded it up and threw it to the ceiling. Felt great and it was fun. My tris are extra sore today too. I also went false grip on my OHP which is a change for me. Could anyone of these result in my traps being sore? It seems odd that I'm feeling them so much the day after when I never have.

Yeah, it does seem strange. The only way you might feel your traps from doing LTEs would be if your elbows were slightly flared out.

Are you sure the bar didn't slip out of your hands when you were doing OHP and just bounce off your traps without you noticing until now? That's probably a more logical explanation.

A couple things...

I did LTE's too! I feel the burn in parts I didn't know have muscle

I finally reached the point where I couldn't complete the three sets of 5 reps on my bench press and on my overhead press.

On the bench I'm at 145 and my sets went like 5-4-3. On the overhead press I'm at 115 and I'm at 5-5-4.

I'm planning to stay at the current weights until I can do 5-5-5, and then increase it. If there's some better way to approach it then I'm all ears.

Cooter

Yeah, it does seem strange. The only way you might feel your traps from doing LTEs would be if your elbows were slightly flared out.

Are you sure the bar didn't slip out of your hands when you were doing OHP and just bounce off your traps without you noticing until now? That's probably a more logical explanation.
I can't say with 100% confidence but I'm pretty sure it stayed in my hands. ;)

Sucks not being able to do free weight lifting while preparing for a fitness test for a government job on Tuesday. Didn't know how exhausting doing 120 steps per minute on a 12 inch platform for 5 minutes straight could be. Thankfully we're allowed to switch lead foot during the test.

entremet

I finally reached the point where I couldn't complete the three sets of 5 reps on my bench press and on my overhead press.

On the bench I'm at 145 and my sets went like 5-4-3. On the overhead press I'm at 115 and I'm at 5-5-4.

I'm planning to stay at the current weights until I can do 5-5-5, and then increase it. If there's some better way to approach it then I'm all ears.

Your OHP is pretty high compared to your bench. Are you tucking in shoulder blades and arching your back? Additionally, are you pausing slightly on the negative touching right below nipple and pressing back up? Giving you full range of motion?

Also what's you grip width? Make sure your elbows are no more than 45 degrees flared out.

Your OHP is pretty high compared to your bench. Are you tucking in shoulder blades and arching your back? Additionally, are you pausing slightly on the negative touching right below nipple and pressing back up? Giving you full range of motion?

Also what's you grip width? Make sure your elbows are no more than 45 degrees flared out.

I'm not sure I'm tucking in my shoulder blades and I'm not even certain what that means. I am arching my back. I think I'm doing the rest but I don't know.

My grip is such that my first finger is on the notch-thing on the bar. I'm trying to keep my elbows lined up with my wrists as much as possible.

I am doing all of these exercises based on what I see on YouTube videos and there's a good chance I'm doing lots of stuff wrong on all my exercises because I go to the gym alone. I don't know a good way to film myself.

entremet

I'm not sure I'm tucking in my shoulder blades and I'm not even certain what that means. I am arching my back. I think I'm doing the rest but I don't know.

My grip is such that my first finger is on the notch-thing on the bar. I'm trying to keep my elbows lined up with my wrists as much as possible.

I am doing all of these exercises based on what I see on YouTube videos and there's a good chance I'm doing lots of stuff wrong on all my exercises because I go to the gym alone. I don't know a good way to film myself.

Like this:

http://ascentphysicaltherapy.blogspot.com/2010/04/exercise-of-week-shoulder-blade-squeeze.html

Scapular retraction.

rokkerkory

So Amazon increased their prices for ON whey protein. Now it's $58 for a 5lb tub. WTF? I don't know what to order with low cholesterol/carbs/sugar.

EDIT-Hmmm. This is $54:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GIQT06/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What's the difference between natural and gold standard?

Ah, just replaces artificial sweetners. May taste like crap. Hmmm. Guess I'll order the vanilla.

I take this in choco flavor. It's really nice and not that sweet. $54 is not bad but I can walk into Vitamin Shoppe and get it for $53.

Cudder

Weighed in at 255 lbs today. Will hit 240 lbs no problem!

How much have you lost so far? Any loss in strength so far for you? I plan to cut starting in April, but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to the numbers i've been putting up the last 6 months on my linear progression program. I've become attached to seeing higher and higher numbers every week. :*(

Are you cutting water for a fight or meet?

Cutting weight just to cut weight. 240 is a good number due to where I want to be regarding bf%

How much have you lost so far? Any loss in strength so far for you? I plan to cut starting in April, but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to the numbers i've been putting up the last 6 months on my linear progression program. I've become attached to seeing higher and higher numbers every week. :*(

Started at 270 in early January so approximately 15 lbs. So far, no real strength loss. Deadlifts and squats are strong as ever. Flat bench is prolly staying at 315 but I transitioned to incline bench anyway.

My cut is almost to an end, though I put on more muscle than I lost fat. Guess I went a bit overboard on those carb load days, tee heeee.

Now the worst comes: Maintenance while I figure out my bulk. That means moderate calories and not shoving in delicious food after days of famine "(

At least quest bars will now fit my macros. Is 2x$48 boxes at GNC a good deal?

Husker86

So Amazon increased their prices for ON whey protein. Now it's $58 for a 5lb tub. WTF? I don't know what to order with low cholesterol/carbs/sugar.

EDIT-Hmmm. This is $54:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GIQT06/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What's the difference between natural and gold standard?

Ah, just replaces artificial sweetners. May taste like crap. Hmmm. Guess I'll order the vanilla.

That natural chocolate is all I use and it's delicious.

entremet

How do you guys explain bulking to your SO lol.

I always got crazy looks when I explained it lol. "Why are you getting fat on purpose?" lol.

sphinx

the piano man
today I had the weirdest thing happen to me.

I was doing my OHP worksets, I did for a first time 5 reps on 110, I am sure my form was shit on those last 2 reps but I wanted my arms to push that damn weight 5 fucking times, at least 1 set so I did it. Of course, I will work on polishing that .

so on my next set I could only do 3 reps and I tried to rack bar after a failed 4th rep. Whenever I am done with a set, I always look first to the left, place it and then to the right and place the rest of the bar in there.... this time I placed the left side of the bar and right there, one fucking moron decided I needed help and pushes the bar upwards and places it on the next level on the right side!!!.... I didn't see him and thought, "woah!! what's happening!?, I fucked up!?" and I see the idiot there grabbing the bar from the other side and my first instinct was to say " what are you doing!!!??!! " trying to not sound as rude but I was clearly annoyed!!, I quickly grabbed to plates on the other side that were about to fall.

after I grabbed the plates I went to him and said " you were trying to help and I thank you, but the safety bars on the power rack are for that, see? if I can't hold the weight, I drop it on the safety bars", it was all o.k..

but gaaad, that threw me off!!!

I did another set of 4 reps and it was an o.k day but fuck, that was weird.

I don't want to sound like a doucebag, he was trying to help but.... -_-

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
today I had the weirdest thing happen to me.

I was doing my OHP worksets, I did for a first time 5 reps on 110, I am sure my form was shit on those last 2 reps but I wanted my arms to push that damn weight 5 fucking times, at least 1 set so I did it. Of course, I will work on polishing that .

so on my next set I could only do 3 reps and I tried to rack bar after a failed 4th rep. Whenever I am done with a set, I always look first to the left, place it and then to the right and place the rest of the bar in there.... this time I placed the left side of the bar and right there, one fucking moron decided I needed help and pushes the bar upwards and places it on the next level on the right side!!!.... I didn't see him and thought, "woah!! what's happening!?, I fucked up!?" and I see the idiot there grabbing the bar from the other side and my first instinct was to say " what are you doing!!!??!! " trying to not sound as rude but I was clearly annoyed!!, I quickly grabbed to plates on the other side that were about to fall.

after I grabbed the plates I went to him and said " you were trying to help and I thank you, but the safety bars on the power rack are for that, see? if I can't hold the weight, I drop it on the safety bars", it was all o.k..

but gaaad, that threw me off!!!

I did another set of 4 reps and it was an o.k day but fuck, that was weird.

I don't want to sound like a doucebag, he was trying to help but.... -_-

I just moved up to 110 on OHP yesterday also. About the same with a set of 5, set of 4, and bumped it down to 105 on the third set.

Where are you at with your other core lifts? I need someone to compete against.

Mine are:
Bench 3x5x175
Squat 3x5x175
Deadlift 3x5x185
Power Clean 5x3x120

Does anyone know if my Power Clean is out of whack? I'm using the Multi-Year app to track out my workouts which is great, but it suggested that I do 5x3x210 after my last deadlifts workout. I can't even comprehend shooting that much weight onto my shoulders.

sphinx

the piano man
Where are you at with your other core lifts? I need someone to compete against.

I'd be up for a friendly challenge with a fellow fitgaffer but we'd have to be the around the same weight and size for it make sense. :)

I am 5'5 and weight 152 lbs.

i think im just going to drop 20% of my working weights, to work on form and add more reps get better at bench/squat/deadlifts

i know i should be eating and resting well, but its not happening.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I'd be up for a friendly challenge with a fellow fitgaffer but we'd have to be the around the same weight and size for it make sense. :)

I am 5'5 and weight 152 lbs.

That's fair, obviously. I'm at 5'9 and 190 lbs so I'm guessing that it's not comparable depending on your goals.

I'm looking to increase strength and don't feel I need to maintain or achieve a certain weight.

Cooter

That's fair, obviously. I'm at 5'9 and 190 lbs so I'm guessing that it's not comparable depending on your goals.

I'm looking to increase strength and don't feel I need to maintain or achieve a certain weight.
I'm 5'10 and 190. Let's do this! ;)

sphinx

the piano man

if you allow me, I am gonna say two things: In the near future, you should be looking forward to bench your own weight for reps and improve on your squat, at your weight and height, 2 plates (225 lbs) shouldn't take too long to achieve.

I'm 5'10 and 190. Let's do this! ;)

lol, unless you can remember what were your numbers in the same point in training time Joey Fox is now, that's not going to be a contest. :)

Cooter

Is bulking necessary though
Kinda is if you go naturally. You don't need to go crazy with the excess calories but you will need more than maintenance and you will gain fat. It's possible you are the rare individual that can gain muscle and not fat but most of us will put on a little fat along the way. You don't have to bulk/cut/bulk/cut if you don't want however.

velociraptor

Kinda is if you go naturally. You don't need to go crazy with the excess calories but you will need more than maintenance and you will gain fat. It's possible you are the rare individual that can gain muscle and not fat but most of us will put on a little fat along the way. You don't have to bulk/cut/bulk/cut if you don't want however.
Hmm, I see. I had hoped to add muscle bit by bit whilst minimizing fat gains. In other words, slowly but surely. Do you guys do cardio while bulking?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
if you allow me, I am gonna say two things: In the near future, you should be looking forward to bench your own weight for reps and improve on your squat, at your weight and height, 2 plates (225 lbs) shouldn't take too long to achieve.

lol, unless you can remember what were your numbers in the same point in training time Joey Fox is now, that's not going to be a contest. :)

Yeah I've only been lifting twice a week for a month, but I think I'm motivated enough now to make it three times a week. Before that I wasn't training for a year but am near my maxes for upper body anyway if I recall correctly. Those goals seem attainable within the next month or so.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Explosive diarrhea and 500lbs RDLs, not a good mix...

Had to re-rack the weight at 4th rep because I almost shart myself..

That almost happened to me last year on the leg press machine. I was also about four feet away from quite possibly one of the hottest girls I've ever seen in my life, no joke. Getting that weight back up on the last rep without filling my pants with shame was a herculean effort.

sdijoseph

I started the full body workout from the OP about three weeks ago and am seeing solid increases in strength, but I would like to run 30-50 minutes every day, alternating days of interval type training with normal runs. This isn't for a particular fitness goal, but more that I just enjoy running and improving my cardiovascular endurance. From what I have read, running 6 days a week (my goal) can be harmful to gaining muscle. Do you guys know what limit I should place on how often and how long I run each week?

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Finally starting to get a bit of weight on now, probably not much for all you mad strong bear fighting dewds

Deadlifted 242lbs yesterday which I'm quite proud of and squatted 200lbs which is also just over my bodyweight, why oh why did I ditch SS for inferior isolation crap when I first started the gym

But dayum I got a cramp in bed this morning and I swear they get worse the stronger you get, that was the worst one I have ever experienced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom