• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE 1991

Bench press is such horse shit for me. Every lift seems to progress except this one. I moved down to 3x5 in order to keep adding on to the bar and managed to do 160 3x5 last week but couldn't even repeat this weight this week.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Bench press is such horse shit for me. Every lift seems to progress except this one. I moved down to 3x5 in order to keep adding on to the bar and managed to do 160 3x5 last week but couldn't even repeat this weight this week.
You expect too much. Sometimes you feel stronger or weaker depending on the week. Kinda how it goes, at least for me. One week I'll rep 315 for 5 and the next week only get 305 for 4. I don't know what to tell you. It happens.

Well, I was in a generally depressed state yesterday and postponed going to the gym until 7pm even though I had pretty much the whole afternoon free. When I got there, the squat rack was in use by a group of people, so I just did some bike and left. I'm ashamed. I also didn't eat anything that day after downing a hearty brunch of 4 eggs, peppers, uncured bacon, and a chopped red potato. I know fasting is currently popular in weight loss, but I don't want to lose strength - I want to gain it - so I'll probably try to avoid that in the future.

That being said, I was able to add 5 lbs to my lifts today, and it felt great. Got a little woozy after squatting (and yes, I did eat today), but worked through it.

Overall, I think I'm doing alright. I tell myself I'm still making the transition to a healthier lifestyle and will constantly strive to adhere to a stricter schedule.

These may be redundant information, but really make sure you're warming up properly. Also, watch some YouTube videos on back tightness and leg placement--it helps.

Bench Press is my least favorite compound lift (yes, I prefer OHP).

ACE 1991

You expect too much. Sometimes you feel stronger or weaker depending on the week. Kinda how it goes, at least for me. One week I'll rep 315 for 5 and the next week only get 305 for 4. I don't know what to tell you. It happens.

These may be redundant information, but really make sure you're warming up properly. Also, watch some YouTube videos on back tightness and leg placement--it helps.

Bench Press is my least favorite compound lift (yes, I prefer OHP).

Thanks. I just really want those two plates for at least 3 reps by the end of 2014.

Cooter

Thanks. I just really want those two plates for at least 3 reps by the end of 2014.
Start performing lower rep sets with heavier weight and see if that maybe helps? Maybe add some DB work? Otherwise, keep feeding your body excess calories and working hard. It will happen.

rage1973

Make sure not to disregard having a strong back and do lots of pull exercises.
It seems contradictory but having a strong back can really help increase your benching.

sphinx

the piano man
I just got out from a huuuge and long plateau on Bench Press and I am on my way to keep incrementing the weight, (I hope)

my conclusions so far,

.- you need strong(er) arms (you may want to do some more arm work)
.- you need good form (what other have said about the back and feet, among other things)
.- you need to calm down when you are doing your work sets and breath normally and don't push abruptly when you unrack the bar to get in start position. treat it like any weight you've done before
.- eat and rest (but you know that already)

Rookje

400 lb RDL today :)

But now my face/eyes are red as fuck, as in broke capillaries everywhere. Anyone else get this? Havne't had this after doing some crossfit WOD with handstand push ups.

I have a date later tonite and look like I'm on drugs.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Urgh high rep squat tonight, 150kg/330 5x10, tweaked my knee this week too. Might go with 350 5x10 next week and 365x20 the following.

So much bench press dislike in here, when my 205x4 lbs lifts shine in contrast to:

- My 75 lbs ohp (lol!)
- My 95 lbs squat :)lol :lol)
- My non existent deadlift :'(

You need more rage and less self-loathing. Rage moves iron.

As long as we're posting numbers, last time was 3 sets 175x8

I just got out from a huuuge and long plateau on Bench Press and I am on my way to keep incrementing the weight, (I hope)

my conclusions so far,

.- you need strong(er) arms (you may want to do some more arm work)
.- you need good form (what other have said about the back and feet, among other things)
.- you need to calm down when you are doing your work sets and breath normally and don't push abruptly when you unrack the bar to get in start position. treat it like any weight you've done before
.- eat and rest (but you know that already)

You forgot the rage.

Urgh high rep squat tonight, 150kg/330 5x10, tweaked my knee this week too. Might go with 350 5x10 next week and 365x20 the following.

Tread carefully my friend, tweaked knees are fickle. Also you are insane and a beast. JESUS. I'm not even sure I could do 185 for 20 and you're doing double!

SeanR1221

What?
So you are doing 205lbs in BP for 4 rep yet you can only do 75lbs in OHP?

Yeah that seems very....odd. Unless he just started ohp and is making gainz every week.

Speaking of ohp, using brolics vid as a guide I further cleaned up my form. Got less reps than I'm used to but felt more stable. On the third rep of 130 the bar came out too far in front of me on the way down and just wrecked all the momentum I had. Might just do 1s week at 135 next week and de load again.

What?
So you are doing 205lbs in BP for 4 rep yet you can only do 75lbs in OHP?

I jus started on OHP as sean said. Feels good. But consider also that I do this exercise after doing chest, but that will change next week when I finally end this cut and start split workouts \o/

RELAYER

Banned
I'm new to dumbbell rows and I cannot feel it in my back at all.

I'm assuming something is wrong with the motion I am using or that I'm not using enough weight.

I don't know what is average for rows though. I'm using 35 pound dumbbells.

edit: I must be doing it wrong b/c the thing that stops me from going is my biceps start to get tired.

Cooter

Dude, you said earlier you might have 5 plates? If you can do the above numbers you can EASILY do 5 plates and then some!

Finished today at 385 for 4 and it was very tough. Before that I barely got 335 for 6. Can't imagine doing 5 sets of 10 with that weight. You are not human MTP.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Dude, you said earlier you might have 5 plates? If you can do the above numbers you can EASILY do 5 plates and then some!

Finished today at 385 for 4 and it was very tough. Before that I barely got 335 for 6. Can't imagine doing 5 sets of 10 with that weight. You are not human MTP.

I think it's just endurance, 308 last week wasn't very difficult. My top end strength isn't that strong, maybe decent for being natural but nothing impressive. I do lots of warm ups before my working sets to get that blood flowing, sometimes I get stronger on my later sets, it's weird. And if I get 5 plates in the near future it would be 2-3 reps not some high rep number. But.. I think I'll back off a bit after a x20 and deload before attempting anything heavier on heavy days, especially after tweaking my knee.

Cooter

I think it's just endurance, 308 last week wasn't very difficult. My top end strength isn't that strong, maybe decent for being natural but nothing impressive. I do lots of warm ups before my working sets to get that blood flowing, sometimes I get stronger on my later sets, it's weird. And if I get 5 plates in the near future it would be 2-3 reps not some high rep number. But.. I think I'll back off a bit after a x20 and deload before attempting anything heavier on heavy days, especially after tweaking my knee.

haha. Oh, just 495 for 2 or 3? All weighing 195? Crazy shit my man. Crazy shit.

As for performance that's pretty individual, most people do suffer on low carb, especially in the short term (myself included) but some actually do pretty well after the initial adaptation period is over.

I'm seeing some nice gains recently and I've been at it for 3 years of keto. I keep telling myself I'm gonna try CKD, and I've read up on it, but I just really have no interest in eating carbs. I've planned it out several times. Wooo, time for some apple pie and ice cream, but then I just end up eating meat, eggs and cheese. It's like some kind of bizarro world reverse cheat mentality.

For now, it works.

On a different note, where are you guys at for dumbell press vs your barbell numbers?

Cooter

On a different note, where are you guys at for dumbell press vs your barbell numbers?
As of right now while I'm cutting and my strength is down it looks like this:

Flat BB- 305x4
Flat DB- 130x4

Incline BB- 265x4
Incline DB- 120x4

And MTP, impressive stuff. 350 is all but guaranteed!

Imm0rt4l

I forget his name, but there was a guy in the news for this stuff years ago. I remember headlines calling him "the man whose bicep exploded" or some shit.

Yea I remember seeing that, the guy seems to regret it and realize how dumb it looked. He looked especially dumb rocking an extra d medium flanel while he was being handcuffed. Dude had to cut his shirt which sleeves just to fit his ginormous biceps in.

absolutelydisgusting.png

sphinx

the piano man
Greg Valentino - Video Link (Warning: Graphic)

However, Valentino constantly denies using synthol oil. He claims his arms are mainly the results of steroid abuse.

do tell us... did you have the stomach to watch it all? I saw 3 second of that fucked up arm and then 2 seconds the blood on the floor. and closed it.

you know, I like to sleep without having nightmares.lol

by the way, he talks about it being infections with dirty needles... talk about fucked up..

RoeBear

do tell us... did you have the stomach to watch it all? I saw 3 second of that fucked up arm and then 2 seconds the blood on the floor. and closed it.

by the way, he talks about it being infections with dirty needles... talk about fucked up..

Body dysmorphia can get pretty serious.

Szu

Yeah, I watched the whole video a while back. I need a girl who met him and she told me that he's as insane in real life as you can imagine.

As for the dirty needles, he claims that he injected himself with steroids. He was so fucked up at times that he didn't bother to use new needles. When his arm got infected, the idiot used the same dirty needles to drain the blood
and puss
out of his arm.

Eventually, he had to go to the hospital and he needed surgery on his arm.

sphinx

the piano man
Body dysmorphia can get pretty serious.

seriously I can not understand this. I mean, I look at myself and always see a skinny guy, my arms are small, blablabla but going from that to take action and go through the financial investment, the time, the needles, the side effects just for a somewhat bigger build faster? I don't think it's worth it. besides I want the fun at the gym and training,

I don't want a secret sauce to get 6 years worth of training in 1 or 2 years.

stop it, I mean it! lol

theidiot used the same dirty needles to drain the blood
and puss
out of his arm.

understatement there. He's a one of the biggest fitness morons ever.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Are dumbbells a good way to work your chest? Does it take a certain amount of weight to do it if so?

Good lord...this is day three without the gym and I'm twitchy. Tuesday I ended up staying home to mind my daughter, who was under the weather with the New England Shitplague 2014. Yesterday I ended up with said plague. I also had to stay up to pick my father in law up from the airport at 1:30 in the morning, got home at 2:15, slept from 2:30 to 6, got up and forgot my gym bag in my tiredness.

I'm seriously twitchy. I don't like being tired like this because it makes me hungry, but it could be equal parts plague and fatigue. Either way, avoid New England (or just Boston) at all costs.

Edit: Bloody hell it looks like I left my lunch at home too. Kale and baked chicken salad will have to be dinner tonight, then.

Are dumbbells a good way to work your chest? Does it take a certain amount of weight to do it if so?

Incline dumbbell bench has been fantastic for me, and bent arm dumbbell pullovers are just plain fun.

I'm seeing some nice gains recently and I've been at it for 3 years of keto. I keep telling myself I'm gonna try CKD, and I've read up on it, but I just really have no interest in eating carbs. I've planned it out several times. Wooo, time for some apple pie and ice cream, but then I just end up eating meat, eggs and cheese. It's like some kind of bizarro world reverse cheat mentality.

For now, it works.

Good on ya man, do what works.

Not sure how much I'm capable of but I am doing Lyle McDonald's generic bulk (back at 160 baby, 3 lbs in 3 weeks!) . This past week:

Flat BB 3 sets of 175x8
Flat DB 3 sets of 55x12

BB is the first movement on one upper day, DB comes after OHP and pull ups on the other. After my current cycle is over in a month and a half I plan to swap them during the deload period.

I am a little late on the discussion of bench plateauing, but I recommend anyone having trouble with a bench plateau to try the Over-Warm-Up: http://70sbig.com/blog/2013/04/the-over-warm-up/

This is a technique I use with some of my lifters to increase their confidence on the bench press. It’s not a new idea, and people have been using it since the dawn of time, but it’s something we haven’t discussed on the site, and I get a lot of questions about it. I call it the “Over Warm-Up (OWU).” It’s a very technical and marketable name, I know. What does it mean? What do you think it means? It means you warm up to a heavy single before your work sets. Complicated stuff.

It might not have a sexy name, but it works. I’ve used this with a quite a few lifters to build confidence on heavy benches and to get them past long-term sticking points. In the past few months, RoryT used it to go from a 285 max bench to hitting 300 for the first time, then a couple weeks later, crushing 300×2. Jess used this technique to handle 95lbs dozens of times before her meet last weekend, where she hit two easy Meet Bench PRs. Many guys over on the LHS Forums are using it with success. You could also use it for various other lifts, like presses, push presses, even squats – though I think it’d be a pretty terrible idea on deadlifts. The target audience for this approach will be primarily novices and intermediates. If you’re an advanced lifter, chances are you’re not likely to benefit much from it, as you’ve already had years to master the mental aspects of the main lifts, and you’re quite capable of getting psyched up for a heavy PR single.

I need some advice on improving my grip.

I'm on 5/3/1 BBB and currently my 85% (5rm) is 320. I can only get 2 with overhand grip, the 3 I have to do alternate.

should this be a concern on grip yet? If so, what can I do to improve it? Chalk isn't an option in my gym unfortunately.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I need some advice on improving my grip.

I'm on 5/3/1 BBB and currently my 85% (5rm) is 320. I can only get 2 with overhand grip, the 3 I have to do alternate.

should this be a concern on grip yet? If so, what can I do to improve it? Chalk isn't an option in my gym unfortunately.

Farmer carries, pull-ups, shrugs, anything that has you holding weight. I've gotten to the point my grip just won't fail doing this stuff.

If you're going for high reps. Bang them out till you can't anymore and use straps. Or you're just holding yourself back.

Cool. Thank you.

so on all my assistance stuff like DB rows and my BBB sets of deadlift I should just go til my grip fails (since those are high rep sets)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom