• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
OHP>>>BP

I like lifts where I'm standing. Squats, Deadlifts, OHP. Bent over Rows.

BP feels like I'm relaxing.

You're doing it wrong. I strained a rib trying to get a good base/arch (I guess, technically, I was doing it wrong, haha)

But yes, I like OHP more than Bench, too. I'll die happy when I can OHP 225 lbs.

Been reevaulating a lot of my goals for lifting lately. I don't think I'll ever have the time or money to dedicate to competitive powerlifting, so I'm really just setting some goals for myself and trying to achieve them, while becoming strong than the majority of the population (this sounds haughty, but in the scheme of things, it really isn't).

Szu

But yes, I like OHP more than Bench, too. I'll die happy when I can OHP 225 lbs.

Maybe you shouldn't have said that. Now, you'll probably kick the bucket the moment you OHP 225 lbs.

On the other hand, if you constantly stuck right under 225 lbs, you'll end up being immortal.

I also prefer OHP over BP.

Shadybiz

Yeah I prefer OHP. I did just recently (as in last week) correct some mistakes I was making on the bench, though, so who knows, maybe I'll end up liking that more. It just feels good to be able to lift that last rep over your head and hold it there for a couple seconds, triumphantly, before putting it down again.

Chocobro

Add me to the OHP > BP team lol.
We did this before but here's my order of preference for the big four while I'm at it: squat > DL > OHP > BP

Finally Spring Break. I had to miss two workouts because I had to study for today's exam. Finally able to go tomorrow and go to NYU's Coles facility next week since they're open during the break.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bench for 335x5 then 5 min later 345x5 then followed up with 275x10, 8 and 6. 405 is gonna be mine next week.

Video coming tonight after work or see it on my FB page.

J. Bravo

I like deadlifts the most. Especially in a crowded ass gym where you are lifting the most weight in front if everyone lol. After DL comes squat, then ohp, then bench. My bench is doing alright, though idk how I'm gonna hit 315 in the next 9 months.

Speaking of bench press, how do you guy set-up for DB BP? I haven't found a good video for DB BP set-up like I have for regular BP. Should I be setting up similar to how I do for regular BP or something different? Obviously the set-up is slightly different just because of how you have to sort of roll into position with DB BP... but yeah, I feel like I'm not feeling it in my upper back quite the same way as I do on regular BP.

Special K Protein Cereal. I think it's new? Is it?

Anyway, if it's new to you too, 30% of calories from protein. The added protein is soy isolate. Tastes pretty good.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wow I can't believe her #3 reason, that girl is mad sexy. I'll admit some people can be annoying with all their #fitfam #cleaneating shit but I never let it bother me
Eeeck! Way too big for my taste. Ironically, she's doing the same thing she proclaims to hate. Not cool.

Some of her points have validity, but she lost me the moment I read #3.

I don't even personally find #3 extremely attractive, but fuck muscle shaming, brah.

You'll be FitGaf 's equivalent of Dorian Gray.

...I'll take it!

I think where you look is just a preference. Could be wrong though.

It can depend--I've seen super strong guys look down, some look up. A good way to learn is more of a neutral gaze. Once you understand how your gaze affects your body (for instance, looking straight ahead for me helps me keep my chest out/back tight), you can start playing with it a bit more.

ILoveBish

Went to the new gym last night finally. Even at 1am the place was nearly packed. Not used to this at all.

Luckily no one using the cage so I got what I needed done.

Pete Rock

At the end i looked up which i know you shouldnt do...
From what I understand cervical flexion is only utilized as a cue on high bar setup, so you might want to eliminate it entirely if you're going to stick with low bar. It was exhibited to some degree on the initial push out of the hole on every rep. Can't really see your lower body due to the plates obstructing the view and even then the angle is a little high for a good perspective.

It can depend--I've seen super strong guys look down, some look up. A good way to learn is more of a neutral gaze. Once you understand how your gaze affects your body (for instance, looking straight ahead for me helps me keep my chest out/back tight), you can start playing with it a bit more.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There you go FallingEdge I made that silly article into a topic. Don't go in there.

entremet

You're doing it wrong. I strained a rib trying to get a good base/arch (I guess, technically, I was doing it wrong, haha)

Been reevaulating a lot of my goals for lifting lately. I don't think I'll ever have the time or money to dedicate to competitive powerlifting, so I'm really just setting some goals for myself and trying to achieve them, while becoming strong than the majority of the population (this sounds haughty, but in the scheme of things, it really isn't).

Oh no. I have good form and keep arched. I'm talking about the posture of benching. You're fundamentally laying down. I prefer more active movements.

sphinx

the piano man
I think lifting has made me develop a muscular girl fetish, I'm trying to hide it from my wife so she doesn't become self conscious lol

here, you're welcome.

cn.gif

Pakoe

Started doing PPL since this week, haven't changed my routine in a loooong time.
Normally i would go till failure so the whole time i have the feeling i can push even harder. Yet the next day i have DOMs all over my body.
Any one else doing PPL?

Tried 4 flavors of Quest Bars so far. Here is my ranking, from best to worst:

Apple Pie
Peanut Butter & Jelly
Chocolate Fudge
Cookies and Cream

I mean, C&C is still really good (they all are) but you guys are crazy to call it the best. I'm gonna get fat on these things... And I am OK with that.

Box

I like the new front page here. It's much better than the last time I was here.

In fact, it makes me think that this would be a good place to get some advice from. I ran track in high school, but I think now would be a good time to get into some strength training for health and wellness and that kind of stuff. Anyway, I have a few concerns that the front page doesn't mention:

1. What's the endgame? You see, I'm not really looking to make exercise and fitness consume my life. I would kind of like to minimize the amount of time each week that I would need to spend maintaining my body. I'm not looking to get super strong or swole, just something that's healthy. So if I start training and getting stronger, when do I say "this is enough" and more importantly, what happens then? I'm afraid of getting sucked into more and more complicated and more and more time-consuming exercises as my body gets stronger. Like I said, I don't want to make this my life. I just want to maintain a modest level of fitness to improve my overall health and wellness. So I'm interested to know what happens after one gets past the initial strength building and settles into something sustainable.

2. What are the long-term consequences to embarking on these strength building exercises? Like I said, I'm in this for health, so I'm not looking to cause more problems for my body for the sake of getting stronger. I don't care about strength or body shape for its own sake. I just want to be healthy. I'm interested in strength because I want to maintain my ability to be active as I age as well as gain some of the other health benefits that strength brings. But I am a little concerned about causing injuries and aches, especially those that might only show as I get older. Since I'm planning to be in this for the long haul, I'm not in any rush to reach some target so I'm okay with taking it slow to reduce the chance of damaging my body. What I'm afraid of is irreversibly damaging my body in some way before I know what I'm doing and then regretting it later. What are the main things that I have to watch out for and what should I be doing to minimize this risk?

I think these are more general questions so I don't know if this information is going to be relevant, but I thought I might as well comply with the help request format just in case someone might need to know to answer something:
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 135lbs
Goal: See Above
Current Training Schedule: Nothing Particular
Current Training Equipment Available: To be Acquired
Comments: See Above

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think lifting has made me develop a muscular girl fetish, I'm trying to hide it from my wife so she doesn't become self conscious lol
Don't misunderstand me, I love a strong muscular woman but based on that picture at that angle it's too much for my taste. The second I start questioning if a woman is on something it's pretty much a no go for the sidekick downstairs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why would you do this to us Vince? I'm going to have to switch back to calling you Sunflower again as punishment.

not much punishment there :p

Was hoping some people would get really bananas in there.

1. What's the endgame? You see, I'm not really looking to make exercise and fitness consume my life. I would kind of like to minimize the amount of time each week that I would need to spend maintaining my body. I'm not looking to get super strong or swole, just something that's healthy. So if I start training and getting stronger, when do I say "this is enough" and more importantly, what happens then? I'm afraid of getting sucked into more and more complicated and more and more time-consuming exercises as my body gets stronger. Like I said, I don't want to make this my life. I just want to maintain a modest level of fitness to improve my overall health and wellness. So I'm interested to know what happens after one gets past the initial strength building and settles into something sustainable.

You don't have to complicate your routine or spend more time. For example, I weight train about 3 days a week for about 60 minutes each time. I get stronger by maintaining a consistent diet and by doing the same few lifts (mostly deadlift, bench press, squat, and overhead press plus a few small accessory lifts) week in and week out. The only changes I make is to increase the weight I lift from time-to-time. That's it! Nothing more complex, nothing more time-consuming. If I ever got to a point where I feel I am 100% satisfied with my current strength, I will simply stop increasing the weight and stick to maintaining what I already have - again, nothing complex.

2. What are the long-term consequences to embarking on these strength building exercises? Like I said, I'm in this for health, so I'm not looking to cause more problems for my body for the sake of getting stronger. I don't care about strength or body shape for its own sake. I just want to be healthy. I'm interested in strength because I want to maintain my ability to be active as I age as well as gain some of the other health benefits that strength brings. But I am a little concerned about causing injuries and aches, especially those that might only show as I get older. Since I'm planning to be in this for the long haul, I'm not in any rush to reach some target so I'm okay with taking it slow to reduce the chance of damaging my body. What I'm afraid of is irreversibly damaging my body in some way before I know what I'm doing and then regretting it later. What are the main things that I have to watch out for and what should I be doing to minimize this risk?

The risk of injury short-term exists with any training routine - even just glidingn on an elliptical. With that said, if you begin any routine, you should spend time first learning how to engage in the activity properly. Watch videos, talk to people on here, record yourself and share the video so we can point out issues with your form, etc.

Long-term, you will be in better shape if you stick to a weight training routine than if you do not, assuming you practice proper form. Weight-bearing exercises such as the squat improve bone density (osteoporosis and associated fractures are a huge problem in older individuals) which is hugely advantageous as you age. Building muscles in your legs is beneficial for your knees; more muscle helps to stabilize the area in and around the knee, which helps to reduce chances of you having knee pain as you age. Strengthening your back and core (again, can be accomplished with squats alone) will improve your posture, whether sitting or standing, which will reduce the risk of back injury as you age.

Personally, I think keeping body fat low and having a decent level of muscle (you don't have to Hulk out) is the key to healthy aging. I would highly encourage you to look into a basic lifting routine such as Starting Strength. I want to reemphasize that proper form is the key to success not only with weight training, but even with your day-to-day life. For example, don't roll your back as you bend over to pick something up, squat down and pick it up using your legs and a straight spine.

So fit gaf I have a question for you all, been dieting/exercising since the new year and have lost 20 pounds woo! I'm 5'11 male started at 260 pounds currently 240. Started using a calorie counter app to try and keep a better eye on what I eat and there are several days where I end up 1000 under my daily goal (which is around 2350). I've not been hungry so I've not eaten as I eat small meals every 3-4 hours through the day but I'm wondering if I should increase those meal sizes and get closer to that 2350ish these apps recommend (myfitpal and loseit)

Husker86

235x3 bench press, new PR. I've been stuck at 225x4 for a couple of weeks so I decided to just up the weight and see what happens. Worked out! Though the "calculated 1RM" between the two isn't much different.

Now the sad part...squat was only 235x2 haha. I'm still suffering from some weakness from my broken ankle/back last year it seems, at least that's what I tell myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom