• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm doing something wrong....

I've done 24 days of Insanity,1 hour walking my dog everyday, eating healthy (chicken,veggies,apples,etc..) cut sugar,soda and junk food completely and I don't see any results...

I'm sweating like a fountain during insanity workouts, but I don't see any weight loss...even I swear my pants are a little more tight :S

I'm thinking of adding a daily hour of jogging on top of insanity...I want to loose weight!

I think I'm doing something wrong....

I've done 24 days of Insanity,1 hour walking my dog everyday, eating healthy (chicken,veggies,apples,etc..) cut sugar,soda and junk food completely and I don't see any results...

I'm sweating like a fountain during insanity workouts, but I don't see any weight loss...even I swear my pants are a little more tight :S

I'm thinking of adding a daily hour of jogging on top of insanity...I want to loose weight!
The most weight you should lose after 24 days is like 3.5 lbs, unless you are trying to burn off all your muscle too. You gotta take it easy.

despire

Damn that's crazy. Ultimate diet right?

Lyle's RFLD. It's been faster than I expected. Faster than last time as well.

I'm thinking about switching over to UD 2.0 though. My DL isn't liking this and is going down. Other lifts have held up pretty well even though I had the flu the other week. UD would be a bit slower pace but should allow some muscle building in the meantime.

Quick question on switching from mass-gain to fat-loss efficiently.

As a new years resolution I started going to the gym in 2013. I've been keeping it up, though not following a particular program, just did exercises I was familiar with and tried to hit all the major groups. In December a friend of mine wanted to do this 16-week muscle-building program (mensworkoutguide.com), as he in turn knew a bunch of guys who'd had great success adding mass using it. It's been 4 workouts per week, 2 upper body, 2 lower. This is in addition to 2x90m martial arts practice I do regardless (i.e. cardio).

So I've been doing that since (had to take a few weeks off due to the flu just now, though), and while my mass isn't exactly skyrocketing, I have noticed definite improvements (currently at week 9), and for most of the exercises I'm steadily progressing and increasing weights/reps. My vegetarianism isn't exactly helping with the protein intake, though.

Anyway, as I approach the end of this program, I figure that while I have made some progress, what I really want is just to get a bit of definition going into summer. Throughout my adult life I've always been in the "skinny-fat" body type, and I figure I don't have to lose more than maybe 6-8lb of fat to get where I want to be. This time around, then focus on building mass starting in August again.

First I figured I'd just switch the 4 sets into cardio instead of the weight training (or perhaps 2 or 3 longer sessions), running, biking, rowing, elliptical and punching bag. But I'm worried about losing muscle mass where I've built it up if I remove the weight training.

Would going with some combo of straight cardio and moving the weight training into lower-weight, high-rep, high-tempo versions of my a regular weight-regime work? Or would that just break it down further?

Also: just in case someone follows the link to my current regime, I am aware that it's far from balanced, but I'm getting results I'm happy with for the moment, so I'm gonna see it through.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Decided to take a week off from weighted pull ups and do 100 body weight ones with various grips. Definitely fatigued!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Height: 184cm / 6.03ft
Weight: 67kg / 147,70lbs
Goal: 80-82kg
Current Training Schedule: Full body workout from page 1
Current Training Equipment Available: I have a small gym at uni I can use, bought a foam roller and a tennis ball

Quoted myself for background info.

So here I am again GAF, after the first week of workouts! Was very fun to get the basics and the movements down first.

What I wanted to ask is: I want to increase my strength (the more the better), but my gym buddy said we should start slow and just increase the weights every time by 10lbs, starting with naked bars.

I wanted to ask here, if this is the right approach, or if it is okay to first put on as much as you feel comfortable with, in other words, just the right amount that still allows you to maintain form and then increase from there.

I ask this also because I just saw this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApQpTEjqMcg ). I was also under the impression that if you want to gain strength, you need to go big.
Thanks!

Hello guys :)

Well, i don't know how exactly i should introduce me but whatever.

I'm 20, 122.5 lbs and 5,8'' I don't know if the Ecto-Endo or Meso classification is still used or if it was debunked, but judging by that, i'd clearly be an ectomorph.

I did like a year of gym in 2012 and it was great, however i don't think i eated enough so i kinda mantained my weight. This time i'm doing it right, i joined a college program 3 times a week and it's quite intense (at least, for me), and i've got some money to burn on Gainers and proteic bars...

The thing is, i've been getting into the whole weightlifting discipline and i really like it. However, i don't know which kind of "goal" i should aspire to achieve. I don't know any case of a person being skinny and bulking up, so i don't know if it's even possible.

To the point, just wanted to ask you guys, what goal could be a "realistic" one for someone like me, knowing that i'm considerably skinny for my height and all? Do you have examples of people similar that were able to surpass their "hardgainer" nature?

And in terms of Gainers and such, do you have any advice about them?
Any recommendations or ways they should be drinked?

Any help is really appreciated. (and if there's any error in concept or idea i mentioned, feel free to correct me, i have investigated a bit but i'm still just starting to learn about this topic)

J. Bravo

First day of smolov jr was yesterday...finally. 6x6 @250 for squats, and 160 for bench. Using the lighter weight to work on form. Pause the bar on my chest for a second, and going a little deeper than usual on squats. Feeling quite sore, lol.

Just did a beginner's mistake and got called out for it.
I'm actually glad about it.

When I arrived, there were some weights already placed on one of the leg machines. Since no one was around, I used the machine with the weights still on and left them there instead of putting them away after using them. I assumed that someone else was using it or something. Hell if I know.
Well, this one guy comes up and starts telling me about gym courtesy and how it's posted everywhere to pick up the weights and what not. Got kinda upset about it, but I understood what he was going on about. It was pretty rude of me doing that, especially with the weights on it. (Two 100 plates and some 45s.)

When I arrived, there were some weights already placed on one of the leg machines. Since no one was around, I used the machine with the weights still on and left them there instead of putting them away after using them. I assumed that someone else was using it or something. Hell if I know.
Well, this one guy comes up and starts telling me about gym courtesy and how it's posted everywhere to pick up the weights and what not. Got kinda upset about it, but I understood what he was going on about. It was pretty rude of me doing that, especially with the weights on it. (Two 100 plates and some 45s.)

I totally understand the idea of leaving them as you found them, but yeah, it's best to remove them completely regardless of the situation. Leg Press is the worst; I find it loaded more often than not, and sometimes with as much as 600+ lbs. I've never seen anyone in my gym actually press over 400 with proper depth, so I don't know who the fuck keeps leaving it like that, but it's annoying as shit for me to have to pull off a ton of 45s just because I like to warm-up at low weight.

LOL. I go to a small town gym and I sometimes go around putting away unused weights in between sets. It breaks up the routine of constantly sipping from the fountain.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
When I use the leg press machine (I'm not now) I'll usually leave at least a couple 45s on there. I never see anyone use anything less.

I totally understand the idea of leaving them as you found them, but yeah, it's best to remove them completely regardless of the situation. Leg Press is the worst; I find it loaded more often than not, and sometimes with as much as 600+ lbs. I've never seen anyone in my gym actually press over 400 with proper depth, so I don't know who the fuck keeps leaving it like that, but it's annoying as shit for me to have to pull off a ton of 45s just because I like to warm-up at low weight.
Yeah, it was like, 310 or so. Nothing too crazy.
I've seen a guy set up 4 100s and a few 45s on the press, then he left the gym.
Never came back, apparently. lol

LOL. I go to a small town gym and I sometimes go around putting away unused weights in between sets. It breaks up the routine of constantly sipping from the fountain.
Same here. I usually make sure every weight is paired and placed away after I use them, but I was just absent-minded today. Learned a lesson for sure. lol

Guys, I want to bulk while losing a bit of fat. Yes, I want my cake and eat it too, I deserve it. What do?

I was thinking of doing lyle mcdonald's generic bulk. Incorporates some strength training to maximize mass gains, includes some cardio to keep burning fat, what's not to like? But I need more options, what do you recommend?

thomaser

Anyone know about good ways to loosen up a stiff neck? My neck is always stiff and painful on the right side, probably as a result of using a mouse a lot at work. I can turn my head all the way to the left, but only 80% to the right. I've tried the usual stretch: tilt head to the left, and use the left hand to pull at the head to get a deeper stretch. I feel it intensely, but it doesn't result in much. I also use balls and other things to treat the trigger points in the neck and shoulders, but they (as well as proper massages) only give temporary relief. Going to the gym can alleviate the pain sometimes, while other times it makes it worse. So... any neck-experts here with good advice? Stretches or exercises that might help? It's been like this for at least ten years, and I have tried everything (doctor, chiropractor, physiotherapist, massage, new chair, new mouse...)

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Going up on squats with less than 48 hours of rest is brutal.

Tell me it's worth it, GAF. Did the quality of ladies go up with the thickness of your thighs and glutes?

Tell me it's worth it, GAF. Did the quality of ladies go up with the thickness of your thighs and glutes?

c0292.jpg

What I wanted to ask is: I want to increase my strength (the more the better), but my gym buddy said we should start slow and just increase the weights every time by 10lbs, starting with naked bars.
That's OK, add 10 lbs every set until you can't do a set at the speed you did the lighter sets. You want to be able to do three sets easily at first.

Just made up 10 cups of cooked brown rice, 3 lbs of asparagus, and 5 pounds of broccoli (aka afternoon snack time for Mr.ToughPants)... Got some chicken in the slow cooker and about to bake some shrimp. I love weekend cooking.

I mostly look around to put weights away that people left on machines to fill up the weight, i see it as another training.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
The limiting factor on my bench, and always has seemed to be the tendon that connects my chest and shoulder. Does anyone else get this or know how to push past it? It's the type of pain I've learned not to try and push through but I'd rather not get it at all. It feels like the tendon is going to snap.

I'm doing all of my warm up sets and it still happens. I think my form is solid also.

Chocobro

I'm 20, 122.5 lbs and 5,8'' I don't know if the Ecto-Endo or Meso classification is still used or if it was debunked, but judging by that, i'd clearly be an ectomorph.

I did like a year of gym in 2012 and it was great, however i don't think i eated enough so i kinda mantained my weight. This time i'm doing it right, i joined a college program 3 times a week and it's quite intense (at least, for me), and i've got some money to burn on Gainers and proteic bars...

The thing is, i've been getting into the whole weightlifting discipline and i really like it. However, i don't know which kind of "goal" i should aspire to achieve. I don't know any case of a person being skinny and bulking up, so i don't know if it's even possible.

To the point, just wanted to ask you guys, what goal could be a "realistic" one for someone like me, knowing that i'm considerably skinny for my height and all? Do you have examples of people similar that were able to surpass their "hardgainer" nature?

Any help is really appreciated. (and if there's any error in concept or idea i mentioned, feel free to correct me, i have investigated a bit but i'm still just starting to learn about this topic)

Welcome! I think I'm similar to you so maybe you can figure something out from my post. I started weightlifting back in August 2013 and I was 5'8" and 130lb, not too far off from you. One of my current goals is to get through Starting Strength and get my noob gains, then I'm going to look into doing Olympic lifting. I'm lifting more for strength than aesthetics at the moment.

I personally don't believe in the term "hardgainer." My friend and I were "hardgainers" but it's only because we didn't eat enough so we started eating a bit more than we normally would and we're progressing relatively well (until he got diagnosed with costo and stopped lifting months ago). So don't pigeon hole yourself into the idea that you're a hardgainer, eat more and you'll be fine. I'm currently 140-142 lbs and my end goal is maybe 150-160lbs.

My post probably didn't help you with anything but I just wanted to let you know I was in a similar place.

--------------------------------------------------
Guys, earlier today I went to Burger King after baisan and I had two Whooper Jr.'s, a Big King, and a small fries :T Not sure how to feel about what I did.

J. Bravo

I'm about 4 inches taller than you and 182ish. I think you should aim for 140 and see where you are then.

as for gainers, I always recommend smartgainer by ids. Tastes great (except strawberry banana), mixes well, lots.of calories and protein, and also has some creatine. I add a 5mg scoop of creatine to my shakes as well. Helps a lot with getting big if you're having trouble hitting your macros with just food. Just make sure you eat a lot of meat and carbs.

This dude is a fuckin' asshole.
Lol, I just learned to take this shit as a compliment. I had a guy do just this at the gym once, wouldn't believe me even when I asked him to pay for a drug test, lol.

Face it. You can get big with and without roids. You can also put on moderate size with roids. Doesn't matter what size you are you, you could be on something. So just accept that most people are going to assume you do it and take it as a compliment.

Not to mention a lot of people do use them. In my social circles it's in fact very common. I don't think the assumption is a poor one to make these days. I think defeating yourself into thinking it is the only way to get anywhere in fitness is the bad thing.

Sleep dep from school caught up with me hard... getting this workout done has taken forever but I'm still making it through squats at the planned weight.

Fewr

Guys, I've got a problem with my knees, and the doctor recommends I mostly do waist up strength training. There is no trainer at the gym I attend. I was wondering if the Starting Strength book would help me learn by myself.

thanks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lol, I just learned to take this shit as a compliment. I had a guy do just this at the gym once, wouldn't believe me even when I asked him to pay for a drug test, lol.

Face it. You can get big with and without roids. You can also put on moderate size with roids. Doesn't matter what size you are you, you could be on something. So just accept that most people are going to assume you do it and take it as a compliment.

Not to mention a lot of people do use them. In my social circles it's in fact very common. I don't think the assumption is a poor one to make these days. I think defeating yourself into thinking it is the only way to get anywhere in fitness is the bad thing.

The funny thing is when you realize how many dudes are on gear that barely even look like they lift.

Guys, I've got a problem with my knees, and the doctor recommends I mostly do waist up strength training. There is no trainer at the gym I attend. I was wondering if the Starting Strength book would help me learn by myself.

thanks.

SS isnt for you if your doctor is recommending you to do mostly waist up. youre squatting 3 times a week

abuC

The most weight you should lose after 24 days is like 3.5 lbs, unless you are trying to burn off all your muscle too. You gotta take it easy.

You can lose 2lbs a week without worrying about muscle loss as long as you're getting protein and still lifting.

Boxers lose 30+lbs in less than 2 months sometimes, a lot of it water weight but a good amount of it is fat since most guys walk around weight is much higher than their fighting weight.

Now, causation or correlation? I imagine on average a 65 year old with a lot of muscle is going to have a much healthier lifestyle than a 65 year old with a beer belly and skinny arms.

I'd believe that it's at least a little causation. Falls can be dangerous for the elderly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'd believe that it's at least a little causation. Falls can be dangerous for the elderly.

There is no "little causation." It either does or doesn't. Causation is incredibly hard to show/prove.

Even in your example it's not causation because there are other variables including just bone density for example.

There is no "little causation." It either does or doesn't.

The lifespan increase could be due to both improved diet and decreased risk of accidental injury. If enough data were available, it might be possible to say, "good nutrition provided this many years on average" and "decreased odds of injury provided this many years on average."

I know my grammar was a little sloppy, but it's not like the only options are "the lifespan advantage is caused entirely by the muscle mass directly" and "the muscle mass contributes nothing."

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The lifespan increase could be due to both improved diet and decreased risk of accidental injury. If enough data were available, it might be possible to say, "good nutrition provided this many years on average" and "decreased odds of injury provided this many years on average."

I know my grammar was a little sloppy, but it's not like the only options are "the lifespan advantage is caused entirely by the muscle mass directly" and "the muscle mass contributes nothing."

And that's the point.

It's correlation not causation.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Went back to squatting, and still having the knee issues, but in the other knee this time... on top of that I get a pain around the hip flexor at the bottom of my squat, which really isn't that low at the moment. I was reading this is about lack of activation in glutes rather than tight hip flexors. Anybody have any advice?

agrajag

Banned
Got damn, I'm so glad I switched to low bar squats. When I was doing high bar, my knees felt like they're any moment away from getting fucked. Now that I low bar, I don't feel any kind of issues with my knees whatsoever. If anything, I feel like my knees are getting stronger. Even without sleeves. I restarted with a really low weight, and been adding weight every workout. I have now worked up to a higher weight than I was doing with high bar. Great success!

It's worth it. My girlfriend is a bit of an odd duck, but she's obsessed with my butt and legs.

These worth both pretty big before I started lifting weights, though.

Well, after starting at zero about 5 months or so ago, I finally did 8 reps of 55 on each side on the bench press! It's not an amazing amount, but I'm pretty happy with how I'm doing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom