• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck Blackflag, hope it works out (hurr) well for you. I'd stay away from deads just because you gotta be careful, brother. For now.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks man. Trying to decide what to do. Do I go for the first PR of 395lbs then 405. Or go straight for 405. I'm getting anxious and excited.

I wouldn't wear one for extended times. I have one and walk with it every once in a while.

Straight to 405. Don't fatigue yourself with 395. That's my two cents!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Straight to 405. Don't fatigue yourself with 395. That's my two cents!

That's what I'm struggling with. Avoid fatigue and go for 405 or play it safe and build confidence with 395, rest, and go for 405.

I went back and looked at my deadlift and I attempted 585 before doing 600 on the same day, and got both. So it's definitely got me thinking.

must ... not ... stare.. .at... rokkerkory's... qt girlfriend

man yesterday was probably one of my worst gym sessions. just couldnt get shit done. As me and my wife were walking into the gym she told me she hates going with me to the gym. I always thought she enjoyed going to the gym with me so I guess it just threw me off while I was there. Will be good to just go on my own now so i won't have to worry about hurrying up because she's done early

Szu

Beasting delts with gf yesterday:

That's cool, man. I kinda miss having my wife in the gym sometimes.

Also, that old creeper guy is totally checking you out.

man yesterday was probably one of my worst gym sessions. just couldnt get shit done. As me and my wife were walking into the gym she told me she hates going with me to the gym. I always thought she enjoyed going to the gym with me so I guess it just threw me off while I was there. Will be good to just go on my own now so i won't have to worry about hurrying up because she's done early

Yeah, that's why I wrote "sometimes". Usually, when we go together, I point her in one direction and i go do my regular routine. Every once in a while, our workouts overlap, those are the ones that I miss.

Cooter

Haha.

Well love you too sweetie!

Szu

Thanks man. Trying to decide what to do. Do I go for the first PR of 395lbs then 405. Or go straight for 405. I'm getting anxious and excited.

Tough call, it's a toss up.

On one side of the coin, you know better than practically anyone here how to build your strength. Everything that has gotten you to this point is consistent with your training regime. Through this strict regime, you have achieved your goals thus far. Therefore, by following path that you have already set for yourself, you will eventually reach your goal one step at a time and one pound at a time.

On the other side of the coin, 405!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tough call, it's a toss up.

On one side of the coin, you know better than practically anyone here how to build your strength. Everything that has gotten you to this point is consistent with your training regime. Through this strict regime, you have achieved your goals thus far. Therefore, by following path that you have already set for yourself, you will eventually reach your goal one step at a time and one pound at a time.

On the other side of the coin, 405!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This told me to do 395. But J.L Holdsworth Himself just told me to go for 405 on my FB page.

Now I can't, not go for it. Lol.

For the record. I did 345x 5 which by a rep calculator is 402.5. And that was after doing 335x5 5 min before and right after that I did 275x10, 8 and 6.

I think I got dis.

rokkerkory

awww man that would hurt if my gf said that... but i guess it might be for better?

First PT session for slipped/herniated disc. Physical Therapist thinks I should be fully healed rather quickly. It was really encouraging to hear that since I've been kind of down on it since my GP gave his diagnosis.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Been mostly out of the game for about a month with my recurring back problem.

I have done chest and shoulders only the last couple weeks and yoga.

I think I can try back and legs this week. Kinda scared but I gotta do something. When I don't workout a lot, I start eating like crap.

Gonna deload my deadlift a lot I guess...or something. I'm not even sure it's even worth doing anymore with all of my back issues.

I'm in the exact same position. Heading back to the gym tomorrow for the first time in 5 weeks. Been doing some PT and rehab work the past week for my core, stuff I did to recover from my back surgery back in 2007. I think it's helped.

Going to ease back into lifting nice and slow, probably not even touch squats or deads for another month or so and focus a lot on flexibility and my core.

This happens to me about once every 18-24 months :/

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

I wouldn't wear one for extended times. I have one and walk with it every once in a while.

I've been looking around for one that's not too terribly expensive. Does this look like a decent one or do you know of anywhere to get one cheaper?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZFO-Sports-...375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d01fec047

J. Bravo

Holy fuck smolov was tough today. Squats were easy but bench....goddamn. 175 for 7x5 pause reps is not easy for me. Especially after my back is tight af from squatting and I am practicing keeping my heels down while still getting an arch. Harder than you'd think. Gonna sleep so well though

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Holy fuck smolov was tough today. Squats were easy but bench....goddamn. 175 for 7x5 pause reps is not easy for me. Especially after my back is tight af from squatting and I am practicing keeping my heels down while still getting an arch. Harder than you'd think. Gonna sleep so well though

Not harder than I'd think. I'd specifically NOT run smolov for two movements at the same time. It's not a good idea IMO.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Got 135kg for 1 rep for squats yesterday, three plates is so close I can smell it.

Think I'm going to try Smolov Jr for bench for a cycle since it's lagging big time. Failed miserably when going for 90kg 1RM, and I feel it's not going up as needed while doing 5/3/1.

ILoveBish

Finally with life back to normal at the new place, hit the gym 2 nights in a row now. I haven't been lifting heavy in a lil over 3 weeks, so my strength was obviously not there. It wasn't as bad as i thought however, this is my 6th 5/3/1 session, and on my last set on ohp (165x5) i got 3, and on my deadlifts today (375x5) i got 3. Was expecting much worse since i haven't been lifting heavy for a while now. Im just going to keep going and if im not happy with how i progress this session, i'l just redo the entire session once more.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
When you check all of your 1RMs, do you just do those then leave the gym? Or do you try your 1RM then have a normal workout afterwards?

Every 1st training week. And no, 1rm are followed by 3 sets amrap at 85%, a main assistance exercise and 2-3 BB style assistance movements.

I basically go by the iron sport strength method. But I don't follow it as gospel anymore. I know what works for me.

Got 135kg for 1 rep for squats yesterday, three plates is so close I can smell it.

Think I'm going to try Smolov Jr for bench for a cycle since it's lagging big time. Failed miserably when going for 90kg 1RM, and I feel it's not going up as needed while doing 5/3/1.

Smolov Jr. for bench added around 30-35 lbs to my 1RM. I was finally able to do 1 rep @ 315. Highly recommended. I suggest at the end of your workout, do some real light rows or rear delt work. Nothing heavy and nothing hard. Just something to keep things moving.

Also really want some pancakes.

And checked out my bf%. I'm at ~16%. If I lose 10-15 lbs, should put me down to 11/12%. Right on track. I was looking at pics of me from a year ago, there is a huge difference. I look mad skinny last year. Don't even look like the same person.

Starting Strength is going swimmingly. All lifts are progressing--yesterday, I hit 375x3x5 for squats. It was tough but didn't really slow down much. I'll try for my old PR of 380 on Friday.

A buddy of mine got to 395x3x5 on SS, so I'm hoping I can hit that! May need a reset, though.

Should hit a 420 1RM squat by 4/20 AWWW YEEEAAH

Been seeing this woman who has an amazing butt and she doesn't work out. I am going to try and convert her to our squatting ways, for maximum overload.

Pete Rock

Should hit a 420 1RM squat by 4/20 AWWW YEEEAAH
Get your mind right before you hit the gym for maximum transcendental yeeeee

Been seeing this woman who has an amazing butt and she doesn't work out. I am going to try and convert her to our squatting ways, for maximum overload.
I bless your noble quest for the ultimate benefit of all humanity, godspeed.

blackflag

I'm in the exact same position. Heading back to the gym tomorrow for the first time in 5 weeks. Been doing some PT and rehab work the past week for my core, stuff I did to recover from my back surgery back in 2007. I think it's helped.

Going to ease back into lifting nice and slow, probably not even touch squats or deads for another month or so and focus a lot on flexibility and my core.

This happens to me about once every 18-24 months :/

Yep me too but like once a year. Today is back day. Back feels genuinely pretty good except for the first couple hours after I wake up. I may do light deadlifts for reps and just work on my form since I haven't done it in a month. then just work on lats and upper back.

Cooter

Brolic getting shredded! Fucking A! We may have an extra poster in the summer cut thread boys...

I might do some low weight front squats today before my heavy squat day just to get comfortable with them. Nothing major. Maybe a couple sets of 135 or so. I'm at a point where trying new lifts is re-energizing me. Can't hurt.

rokkerkory

With GF visiting, not really working as much as I have been but still keeping it relatively clean.

Today is hiits and chest day... roar.

My Pendlays/Rogues are getting old and have a snapped strap that I've just been dealing with for the past few years. Any recommendations for an oly shoe with a similar heel and ~$100?

I bless your noble quest for the ultimate benefit of all humanity, godspeed.

After you're done with her, I expect her booty to beep whenever she backs up.

ibrsDRBgRoQE0m.gif

Pre-workout is just 1.5 cups of coffee worth of caffeine, some taurine, and some creatine, plus some amino acids. It's the caffeine and the taurine combo that makes you feel like you're going to achieve your final form or maybe die. As long as you're fully grown and not a senior citizen, it's fine.

Szu

Pre-workout is just 1.5 cups of coffee worth of caffeine, some taurine, and some creatine, plus some amino acids. It's the caffeine and the taurine combo that makes you feel like you're going to achieve your final form or maybe die. As long as you're fully grown and not a senior citizen, it's fine.

Yeah, just be careful of how much you take.
haha.jpg

Yeah, just be careful of how much you take.
haha.jpg

I have considered freeze-drying Red Bull, crushing it into a fine powder, mixing it with powdered pre-workout, than snorting a line.

I think it could be the next "kids sniffing Elmer's" or "bath saaaaalts!" scare in the media if I market it to the right high schoolers.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Smolov Jr. for bench added around 30-35 lbs to my 1RM. I was finally able to do 1 rep @ 315. Highly recommended. I suggest at the end of your workout, do some real light rows or rear delt work. Nothing heavy and nothing hard. Just something to keep things moving.

Also really want some pancakes.

And checked out my bf%. I'm at ~16%. If I lose 10-15 lbs, should put me down to 11/12%. Right on track. I was looking at pics of me from a year ago, there is a huge difference. I look mad skinny last year. Don't even look like the same person.

Thanks! Yeah, I'll add in some rows, chins, face pulls and the like. I need to rest my knee for a few weeks anyway :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Strength holding strong. New OHP 5rep max 240lbs
http://youtu.be/xN71HNOWlhg

Could just be a lot of water weight if you've been lifting hard and eating less carbs than normal? Or are normally taking creatine and haven't for a few days?

I'm thinking it's a lot of water, I'm noticeably leaner too.

Brolic getting shredded! Fucking A! We may have an extra poster in the summer cut thread boys...

I might do some low weight front squats today before my heavy squat day just to get comfortable with them. Nothing major. Maybe a couple sets of 135 or so. I'm at a point where trying new lifts is re-energizing me. Can't hurt.

Don't know about all at. Lol.

Can I get a critique of 250x8?

http://youtu.be/3Dmf7f-c2gw

I think I need to sit back more. Any good cues for that?

How far are your feet? Hard to tell from this angle.

A good cue for getting your ass to stick out/drive with your hips is having a training partner place their hand on the small of your back, and you "push" against their hand as you go up.

They're not actually applying resistance, mind you. It's a solid cue.

Strength holding strong. New OHP 5rep max 240lbs
http://youtu.be/xN71HNOWlhg

Damn, son. Kangabro approves.

iz6D26Pj1IMqt.gif

Thanks! Yeah, I'll add in some rows, chins, face pulls and the like. I need to rest my knee for a few weeks anyway :(

Just remember that if you add them in, you are not worried about going hard. The main goal is bench. The others are done more to just keep your body in balance. Do not overdo it.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Just remember that if you add them in, you are not worried about going hard. The main goal is bench. The others are done more to just keep your body in balance. Do not overdo it.

Yup, read up on it on t-nation, among others, and they stressed that everything else is just light accessory work. Thanks for the tips :)

J. Bravo

Are bodyweight exercises good or bad for kids? I'm talking 10-13 years old. I've got my brothers doing some hiit to get ready for soccer, jw if bodyweight is bad like actual weightlifting.

SeanR1221

Anton, that's a really good idea.

I posted it in a Facebook group I'm in that's ran by a guy who's basically 2 shoguns taped together (he incline presses 405).

He said it looked terrible. :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom