• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irobot82

Do those knee compression sleeves work? If so, does anyone recommend a pair? I'm starting to reach my initial ceilings on Squat and maybe Deadlifts and I can really feel some knee strain.

Today felt great almost at my previous squat max of 250.

Squat 245lbs @ 3x5
Bench 145lbs @ 3x5
Deadlift 285lbs @ 3x5

Feeling fantastic.

Veezy

que?
There was a comment earlier about sumo deadlifts.

First, read Anatomy Without a Scalpel. Whether you're a trainer or a trainee, knowing anatomy will change how you do work in the gym.

Second, sumo deadlifts are something I've all but written off. With one exception, one I found after reading the mentioned book, those with long legs for their body. Doing a standard DL with long legs can be a literal pain, with the bar being difficult to raise smoothly due to your knees sticking out to far. Sumos fix this.

Otherwise, I haven't seen a lot of use for them. That's just me though.

Zoe

And remember, pay more attention to the mirror than the scale!

Well, I do think that it helps to have something a little more objective than the mirror--that's how the weight creeps up on you because you don't notice the changes until it's too late.

Shadybiz

Well, I do think that it helps to have something a little more objective than the mirror--that's how the weight creeps up on you because you don't notice the changes until it's too late.

Oh definitely! That's how I came to the realization that I had really gotten up there in weight myself (that, and my suit didn't fit anymore). I just meant that it's important to use a mirror when you're trying to lose weight/get in shape, because depending on the exercise you're doing, you could be gaining muscle, but also losing fat. If you're making slow progress, just using the scale can be discouraging to some.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The mind is a powerful thing. Had an old school epic cheat night Saturday followed by fasting Sunday and a solid meat and veggie night. I wake up this morning and I swear I'm a little tighter with a touch more size. I'm aware it's all in my head but it's funny what you see in the mirror based on recent past behavior

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There was a comment earlier about sumo deadlifts.

First, read Anatomy Without a Scalpel. Whether you're a trainer or a trainee, knowing anatomy will change how you do work in the gym.

Second, sumo deadlifts are something I've all but written off. With one exception, one I found after reading the mentioned book, those with long legs for their body. Doing a standard DL with long legs can be a literal pain, with the bar being difficult to raise smoothly due to your knees sticking out to far. Sumos fix this.

Otherwise, I haven't seen a lot of use for them. That's just me though.

I've used them to build hip and glute strength pretty well.

Veezy

que?
I've used them to build hip and glute strength pretty well.

And they're good for that. Don't get me wrong.

I just don't think their a solid movement for most people. At the level you're at, fuck, do what you want. You know enough and it's working.

For the record, I'd rather do glute barbell bridges or barbell hack squats. I feel like squats, for me, do enough hip strength training as my his have never been a big issues with my lifts. Qlutes, hams, and quads but never hips. To each they're own.

Do those knee compression sleeves work? If so, does anyone recommend a pair? I'm starting to reach my initial ceilings on Squat and maybe Deadlifts and I can really feel some knee strain.

Squat 245lbs @ 3x5
Bench 145lbs @ 3x5
Deadlift 285lbs @ 3x5

Feeling fantastic.

I used Tommy Kono knee sleeves, just to keep my knees warm and not necessarily for any compression. Definitely helps if you have knee pain, I rarely squat without them.

Squat 245lbs @ 3x5
Bench 145lbs @ 3x5
Deadlift 285lbs @ 3x5

Feeling fantastic.

i started wearing compression tights about a year ago while playing basketball, but now i use them more for lifting. for me, they help me feel warmed up quicker and i stay warm longer. also nice to wear on days i DL.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ok here's the results.

From early January to today.

Awesome work mate! Definitely dropping a ton of fat, and overall looking positively beastly.

I was in the same place with my diet when I did hardcore low carbing. Lifts suffered and sex drive disappeared entirely. Fasting works much better for me. I manage to lose a lot of weight but maintain energy and manhood. I did initially 5/2 which is totally awesome. Now I'm doing 16:8.

Basically 2 big meals a day only. First one around 1PM, couple of hours before my 5PM lifting session and second around 8PM after my training session. Both meals are around 400g in meat and on training days around 300g of pasta/rice and lots of green veg. Here are my current macros designed by Andy Morgan.

Training day
P:170 C:150 F:65

Rest day
P:170 C:25 F:80

This works really well for me. Shedding inches but lifts are going up, hitting PR on all lifts. Finally got past 104lbs OHP today for 5x5!

I know there are many people here who see great results with low carb too, everyone needs to find what works for them.

rokkerkory

Coming towards end of 7 weeks of cut. Progress update:
- strength down by 5-10% depending on exercise
- weight down 9lbs (now ~150)

10009856_10152272811708758_889512423_n.jpg

Cudder

First day back in the gym in a month, went well. Put up 225 on bench for 6,5,5 reps, didn't go higher than that. Shouldn't be long until I'm back where I used to be.

Pete Rock

Looking great, I always love how the black & white filter adds so much contrast to help everything pop, particularly around the serratus. Go team aesthetics!

+1 for knee sleeves, been on those og rehbands for about eight months now and the love affair continues unabated.

J. Bravo

I hate eating sometimes. Just killed 3 sweet potatoes, 8oz of cauliflower, 4oz of zucchini, and 3 ~6oz chicken breasts. Went to stand up and almost threw up. I think I'll extend my break a little bit....

rokkerkory

I really enjoyed your work in Fight Club. Killer movie!

Looking great, I always love how the black & white filter adds so much contrast to help everything pop, particularly around the serratus. Go team aesthetics!

mirin

strong abs/intercostals

Thanks guys but I am really frustrated with the flab on my obliques towards my back/spine area. I need to keep pushing on the hiits and core to hit those areas. Just for once I want to see what I look like with 6-7% BF.

dem cuts

approved.

Also started taking Yohimbine. I wonder if taking beta alanine all this time has made it so that I don't feel the effects of Yohimbine. Only taking 5mg but a lot of people say they feel it with that. I don't feel a damn thing. I'm going to work up to the recommended dosage and try to do some fasted cardio at lunch. This means no breakfast which makes me sad ;_;

So, background: I'm 29, 1.85cm tall, and about 5 months ago, reached 100kg and decided to go keto, at 0-10 carbs per day. Lost 15kg so far. Regular strength lifting was a constant both before and after the diet until about 2 months ago. Pork out on sundays. Sleep improved, snoring went down. Pretty decent.

Anyway, due to the usual family concerns over the diet, I finally got some bloodwork done, and... needing a bit of help making sense of it, because this seriously... odd.

Total cholesterol is at 257 mg/dl, which is high
HDL is at 65 mg/dl, which is great
LDL is at 185 mg/dl which is high
VLDL is at 7.2 mg/dl, which is great
Triglycerides are at 36 mg/dl which is great
Non-HDL cholesterol is at 192 mg/dL, which is Very High

Everything else is great. Blood pressure, creatinine, AST and ALT, sodium, potassium, glycosis, hemogram, ECG... gold stars all around. Still waiting for the TSH and ferritine levels exams, and the other cardio exams will happen next week.

I can't make sense of that high LDL. Only thing i could do to reduce it, on top of getting back to regular exercises (which i already should have done), would be to eliminate pork out days, and that....that'd be harsh.

Are results like this common or even expected? Should I even be worried?

SeanR1221

Awesome work mate! Definitely dropping a ton of fat, and overall looking positively beastly.

I was in the same place with my diet when I did hardcore low carbing. Lifts suffered and sex drive disappeared entirely. Fasting works much better for me. I manage to lose a lot of weight but maintain energy and manhood. I did initially 5/2 which is totally awesome. Now I'm doing 16:8.

Basically 2 big meals a day only. First one around 1PM, couple of hours before my 5PM lifting session and second around 8PM after my training session. Both meals are around 400g in meat and on training days around 300g of pasta/rice and lots of green veg. Here are my current macros designed by Andy Morgan.

Training day
P:170 C:150 F:65

Rest day
P:170 C:25 F:80

This works really well for me. Shedding inches but lifts are going up, hitting PR on all lifts. Finally got past 104lbs OHP today for 5x5!

I know there are many people here who see great results with low carb too, everyone needs to find what works for them.

Thanks man and I agree, you have to do what works for you.

- strength down by 5-10% depending on exercise
- weight down 9lbs (now ~150)

10009856_10152272811708758_889512423_n.jpg

So that's where you grate your cheez

Imm0rt4l

dem cuts

approved.

Also started taking Yohimbine. I wonder if taking beta alanine all this time has made it so that I don't feel the effects of Yohimbine. Only taking 5mg but a lot of people say they feel it with that. I don't feel a damn thing. I'm going to work up to the recommended dosage and try to do some fasted cardio at lunch. This means no breakfast which makes me sad ;_;

I still have some yohimbine left over from my last cut. I got kinda paranoid with it because apparently you're not supposed to take it when your insulin is spiked sounds kinda arbitrary, I mean for how long can I not eat after taking it? I would hate to waste it. I'll just use up the rest come summer time.

I still have some yohimbine left over from my last cut. I got kinda paranoid with it because apparently you're not supposed to take it when your insulin is spiked sounds kinda arbitrary, I mean for how long can I not eat after taking it? I would hate to waste it. I'll just use up the rest come summer time.

From what I read and understood, it is best taken when fasted. So first thing in the morning would be ideal. The recommended dosage is .2mg/kg bw. I would look that exact number to be sure. Like you said, an insulin spike supposedly negates the effect of yohimbine. So people would take it in the morning with coffee, wait 20 minutes, then do cardio. Depending on how your body can handle it, they either take the dosage all at once or what most people do is break it down twice a day. So they would take it in the morning and once again in the afternoon. So for someone who is taking 20mg, 10 when they wake up and 10 later on. I've seen people say they wait around 2 hours after their last meal to take it but a lot of it seems to be give and take. Same with when they would eat again. 1-2 hours after they took their dosage.

I just started on Sunday so my plan is to take 5 mg in the morning and another 5 mg around 3 pm. I eat dinner around 6 then head to the gym. If I plan to do cardio, I usually do it at lunch so I will take it then. Eat my lunch after the workout and then go from there. Will this work? No clue. I plan to do it for 6 weeks and it is pretty cheap so I figured, why not. They all say to slowly work up to the recommended dosage which for me is around 23mg. I will hover around 5 or 10 mg per day then add more as the days go by.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Haven't posted pics in a long time.

Here's me about 25 pounds heavier than this past fall.

jTStDv4XU1j3B.jpg

Sorry about my shitty mirror and lighting. Had to play around with the brightness so you can see anything. Didn't realize how much bigger my shoulders/traps got until I saw this pic. Maybe I'll take some leg shots since those grew even more than my upper body.

Cooter

Haven't posted pics in a long time.

Here's me about 25 pounds heavier than this past fall.

Sorry about my shitty mirror and lighting. Had to play around with the brightness so you can see anything. Didn't realize how much bigger my shoulders/traps got until I saw this pic. Maybe I'll take some leg shots since those grew even more than my upper body.

Looks like a different guy. Unbelievable! Hard work right there boys!

Chocobro

First attempt at 155lb squat was pretty bad...3/3/2 :T Wasn't as mentally focused and ready for 155 as I hoped. I don't know what to expect in the next session.

rokkerkory

Dude, looking amazing..how much more "cutting" do you plan on doing though!?

Hey thanks man. I am really adamant about getting to single % BF and maintaining it through summer with minimal strength and energy loses.

Let's see how it goes. I still got a really stubborn lower gut to fix.

Veezy

que?
Sometimes, working in a corporate gym can make one really depressed when it comes to the fitness industry. Almost sympathetic with Crossfitters. At least a lot of their members believe that their box is a place where results happen. At least the owners (some) got into the business to change peoples' lives (albeit in an injury prone way).

Today was not that day. Today I got to work with Bob. Bob has had quadruple bypass surgery. Bob has Type 2 and a failed stent. Bob has had two heart attacks.

Bob didn't want training, he just wanted a little help. So, because I believe in training and believe in not being a piece of shit gets more than being a seedy sales person that forces people into shit, I helped Bob out. Took more than an hour.

For the first time in five years, Bob did resistance training. Not a lot of bar work, but some super sets were included. I've never seen a high powered, grown man, dept of defense high end director smile like a five year old at anything like that in my life. His exact words were "I didn't know I could do any of this stuff. I though I'd be stuck on a couch just wasting away. You think you could set me and my wife up with something together, she's in worse shape than I am."

And now, I reflect on why I got into training and training management. Because for some people, it's about getting cut. Some, getting gainz. For some, it's about finding a way to not die. Being able to show all those people the right way to do it, it's the shit. And if I worked in a box, the really broken people would never walk through the door.

Changing lives. It's good stuff.

I know this feel brother. Snap city is not a fun place to be, accessory work around the lifts you actually want to do, bosu balls, balls foam rollers and bitch weights. Horrible fucking feeling. Have you had any luck with sumo deadlifts? I hear it's less strenuous on that joint.

*whistles sesame street theme song
>replaces sesame street with 'out of snap city'

I've tried them but they felt too awkward so I didn't really give them a chance. Will give them another shot and see if I can nail down the form.

missed these posts earlier, but team sacroiliitis checking in. luckily i took precautionary bloodwork that came back negative for rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.

sumo deadlifts were really awkard for me too, and i felt like i was straining even more so i nixed them after a few sets.

all i do for my SI joint at the moment is take glucosamine, yoga poses (some suggested in this thread like cat/camel/childs pose) lying pelvic tilts (lol), and some stretching of the IT bands in the morning, and try to get a good warmup in. I found i can temporarily alleviate some pressure in my SI joint if i bend at 90 degrees and apply some pressure to the sweet spots in my si joint. my PT used to do this after icing and i would be relatively symptom free for 1-2 hours. i try to do this now before every set of squats and DLs. i do go lighter than i normally would with squats and DLs now. i just don't know if i want to push my si joint too much and risk being out for a long while anymore.

Nerokis

Hey man, good luck to you! You sound like you're in pretty much the same situation I was in back in 2008. Weight gain just crept up on me, and all of a sudden I was 215 "not good" pounds, and I'm 5'11". That was right when I was getting married, as well. The wedding photos made me feel terrible, so I made it my goal to shape up. I didn't really know what I was doing as far as fitness back then, or really I just didn't know how to go about it efficiently, so it took a bit longer to lose the weight than it should have, but I got it off eventually.
GAF is a great community, though (I didn't know about this place at that point), so you should probably have an easier time than I did. Definitely look at your diet, like you said. I was eating too many DiGiorno pizzas and drinking too many beers. Cutting out the DiGiornos and..ahem...reducing the beers, I'm sure, helped quite a bit. I did a lot of cardio, and like I said, the weight did come off, but now that I know a bit more, I would probably recommend a combination of weight training and HIIT type exercises. Sprinting, or an "Insanity" type workout, should do you well. That's just my thinking, though...Other people here are way more informed, and might have better suggestions.

And remember, pay more attention to the mirror than the scale!

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. :) Your 2008 situation and mine sound similar indeed. It was seeing less than flattering pictures from certain angles that made me realize earlier on I was beginning to gain serious weight, along with my girlfriend's roommate directly commenting (around a year ago), "When I see you, you look so skinny, so why do you look pudgy in this picture?" It wasn't until the other night, though, that I had a vaguely medical (well, not really) context for it all.

I've found the OP ridiculously helpful already. I love the YouTube video compilation. I pretty much stayed up all night reading fitness/nutrition stuff directly as a result of the OP, and I've stumbled upon terms like "seven primal movements" that I'm surprised I'd never heard before during my brief affairs with fitness in the past.

Currently sore from a workout that consisted entirely of messing around with a pair of 20lb dumbells and 20lbs + however much the barbell weighed, plus around 20 minutes of cardio. That added up to around 50 minutes at the gym. I'm almost looking forward to having a sense of what I'm doing as much as I am to making actual physical progress.

rage1973

So, background: I'm 29, 1.85cm tall, and about 5 months ago, reached 100kg and decided to go keto, at 0-10 carbs per day. Lost 15kg so far. Regular strength lifting was a constant both before and after the diet until about 2 months ago. Pork out on sundays. Sleep improved, snoring went down. Pretty decent.

Anyway, due to the usual family concerns over the diet, I finally got some bloodwork done, and... needing a bit of help making sense of it, because this seriously... odd.

Total cholesterol is at 257 mg/dl, which is high
HDL is at 65 mg/dl, which is great
LDL is at 185 mg/dl which is high
VLDL is at 7.2 mg/dl, which is great
Triglycerides are at 36 mg/dl which is great
Non-HDL cholesterol is at 192 mg/dL, which is Very High

Everything else is great. Blood pressure, creatinine, AST and ALT, sodium, potassium, glycosis, hemogram, ECG... gold stars all around. Still waiting for the TSH and ferritine levels exams, and the other cardio exams will happen next week.

I can't make sense of that high LDL. Only thing i could do to reduce it, on top of getting back to regular exercises (which i already should have done), would be to eliminate pork out days, and that....that'd be harsh.

Are results like this common or even expected? Should I even be worried?

There is good amount of news coming out that LDL particle size is much more important than LDL particle numbers. If you are doing any of the high protein/fat and low carbs diet, your LDL numbers will most likely go up. But also your HDL numbers will go up as well and your triglyceride will go down. Read this article from Chris Kresser on why looking at LDL particle numbers is an outdated method to analyze cardiovascular health.
http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-why-everyone-should-know-their-ldl-particle-number

rokkerkory

this.

Rokkerkory, those abs are single digit BF% territory.

You talk about some stubborn fat but I really can't see any in your pic.

Really? I think I am about 13% right now, pulling that out of my ass however.

If I flick the area around obliques towards my back/spine... it'll wobble a bit. It's just aggravating me so much right now.

Cooter

Really? I think I am about 13% right now, pulling that out of my ass however.

If I flick the area around obliques towards my back/spine... it'll wobble a bit. It's just aggravating me so much right now.
Hahahaha. You may be 5% lower dude. Not even close to 13.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Looking for the best way to add weights to crunches. I haven't isolated abs at all for a while, but I feel like my BF% is pretty damn low but my abs aren't showing as much as they could if worked more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom