• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Did you order the happy ending package?

No, but when she got to my quads/front hip I felt a bit awkward when I got an erection. Mind over matter brought the tent pole down though.

She's the same therapist I've had the last 3 times, so hopefully things aren't awkward now.

I'm getting a pair of Nike Romaleos 2 Volt this week. Yeah buddy.

Whaaa! You are stuck being the healthy in shape guy around a bunch of out of shape people. Such is your plot in life...

Been like that at my last job too.

Pack lunch? I have to do that too.

Yeah pretty much. There are choices to eat out here in downtown, just have to be smart about it.

okay, I'll do that either tonight or tomorrow morning. Feeling kinda small right now, but not really lean either. I should probably eat some rice.

Don't worry brah, I'm small fat atm too. Here, I will go first! 254 lbs! #picwhoring #toomuch

Qs1CgSQ.jpg

Taken a few days from each other as evident by bloating.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
There's a ton of Rehband knee sleeves. I have no clue about this stuff. Which one should I get? 7051? 7751?

No, but when she got to my quads/front hip I felt a bit awkward when I got an erection. Mind over matter brought the tent pole down though.

She's the same therapist I've had the last 3 times, so hopefully things aren't awkward now.

Ha! Well a massage sounds amazing right now.

I would put up a selfie but ya'll don't need to get your eyes ruined.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There's a ton of Rehband knee sleeves. I have no clue about this stuff. Which one should I get? 7051? 7751?
The classic blue ones 8mm the ones you always see in strongman.

The ones I'm wearing here.

http://youtu.be/KufztG4iE_E

Ha! Well a massage sounds amazing right now.

I would put up a selfie but ya'll don't need to get your eyes ruined.

It was, and the great thing about her as opposed to my previous therapist is when she does it, it feels like she's into it/enjoying it too. She's awesome.

Chocobro

Decided to do a squat form check video today since my lower back has started hurting after doing squats.
Anyone see something obvious that needs correcting?

http://youtu.be/w7QIi9_5Hsw

Those looked good to me, however I noticed you lean forward a tiny bit on the latter reps; your heel lifts up.

You made 154lb look easy relative to your BW. I'm 140lbs and couldn't get 155lbs for 4 reps yesterday :(

rokkerkory

I'm getting a pair of Nike Romaleos 2 Volt this week. Yeah buddy.

Been like that at my last job too.

Yeah pretty much. There are choices to eat out here in downtown, just have to be smart about it.

Don't worry brah, I'm small fat atm too. Here, I will go first! 254 lbs! #picwhoring #toomuch

Taken a few days from each other as evident by bloating.

damn you got size bro! good stuff!

MBR

Banned
Those looked good to me, however I noticed you lean forward a tiny bit on the latter reps; your heel lifts up.

You made 154lb look easy relative to your BW. I'm 140lbs and couldn't get 155lbs for 4 reps yesterday :(
Okay, thanks! Heh, good eyes there, I didn't notice that at all on the video ;) I didn't feel it much at all during the workout either but that's something I'll need to shift a bit of focus to then.

Actually, I've been adding weight quite fast these last 4 workouts as I started doing SS instead of some homebuilt program. On squats I went from 60*8 and started out with 62,5*5 then added 2,5 kg each workout. Should've done 72,5kg*5*5 today but I figured maybe I should take it easier because of the pain after. No problems with pain on other lifts though.

Just be sure to hit 90% of your 1rm for reps every few weeks and strength loss should be minimal IMO.

Personally the closest I'll ever come to a hypertrophy program is 5/3/1.

Yeah, BBB is a really cool program.

Yeah, 5/3/1 + BBB was my jam for a loooong time, so I'm hoping to branch out into something different.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/a-look-at-some-popular-hypertrophy-programs.html

If you want to kinda give yourself a break but maintain strength you might like an HST approach. 3x week full body but only 2 work sets / exercise and you max out (in the rep range) every 2 weeks.

I'm doing Lyles Generic Bulk right now and it has been nice to just go in and do a more traditional program that's actually programmed to make sense.

I want to keep it to 3x a week...I think HST might be a good routine to try out for this. Thanks!

Cooter

I got the mediums, a size down from what I measured, large.

Jackals sells the 7051 rehbands.
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT:

I sent that Arnold Crossfit pic to a few people and my buddy's girlfriend sent it to her Crossfit friend. She challenged her and my buddy and I. Saying Crossfiters can "beat" us in workouts. That's comedy right there! I said, tell her to have her friend get the strongest 190lb guy in her gym and we'll see if he can hang with my numbers. Oh wait, that apparently isn't the right criteria. We have to go do their ridiculously programmed routine to compete. Don't ever change Crossfiters.

sphinx

the piano man
bah, so much I want to post about, I'll go by topics

Lifting Shoes,

I am jelly and I want them, will buy as soon as I have 200 bucks to spare. Hopefully before the years End

New PR today

did 160 x 5 on Bench, still can't believe how I am breaking plateaus on this exercise, I have to stay on that weight to get used to it and perfect my ROM but on the set-up, the weight feels right, like I can achieve it.

My body

Is acting weird, I am consciously maintaining now, and have been for a month or so but my body changes constantly, it's hard to explain, it's like the build is changing.

Pics by Fitgaf

Sean, you are on your way, I'd say keep cutting but on a less extreme diet. I know you hate cardio (I think?) but you'd win a lot from it. The body breathes with cardio and in my opinion, is a great tool to get an atheltic body.

MrOogie, Slowly gaining that mass. inspiring. I am in the same boat with you, I have a very hard time gaining good weight :/ but we'll make it.

Rokkerkory, I have been 13% BF... I can tell you, that is NOT 13, hehehe no way in hell, you are like 8% but keep at it until you reach your goals, you know better.

FallingEdge look at your second pic, I remember some months back you were complaining about your chest, but here the defintion lines are there, from the center towards your deltoid/shoulders. Keep at it with that cut and I am sure you'll look even better.

Immortal looking forward to some swoleness

Darth you are getting late (lol, just joking)

Dany

Banned
I can't access the gym because I've graduated. And I can't do the 'alumni membership' because I haven't received my diploma and my transcript still says "in progress".

A local park here has equipment outside, but it's chilly. ;-;

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT:

I sent that Arnold Crossfit pic to a few people and my buddy's girlfriend sent it to her Crossfit friend. She challenged her and my buddy and I. Saying Crossfiters can "beat" us in workouts. That's comedy right there! I said, tell her to have her friend get the strongest 190lb guy in her gym and we'll see if he can hang with my numbers. Oh wait, that apparently isn't the right criteria. We have to go do their ridiculously programmed routine to compete. Don't ever change Crossfiters.

This always cracks me up. "You can't hang with me" they then only want to do their program, not yours.

I've heard that shit from more than just crossfitters.

Cooter

This always cracks me up. "You can't hang with me" they then only want to do their program, not yours.

I've heard that shit from more than just crossfitters.
Me too. I'm not even specifying a program. Just 1RM or 2 or 3 of all the important lifts.

They best get me before I get my shoes and sleeves because this squat is pushing above 455 soon!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Me too. I'm not even specifying a program. Just 1RM or 2 or 3 of all the important lifts.

They best get me before I get my shoes and sleeves because this squat is pushing above 455 soon!

Yeah that's not even in their ballpark I don't think. I seem to remember their "powerlifting competitions" being off.

That whole "I'm stronger than you, do my routine shit" would be like me challenging the biggest bodybuilder in my gym to a strength competition consisting of only OHP and deadlift.

By that criteria I'd be stronger than him.

Fucking stupid.

Cooter

Yeah that's not even in their ballpark I don't think. I seem to remember their "powerlifting competitions" being off.

That whole "I'm stronger than you, do my routine shit" would be like me challenging the biggest bodybuilder in my gym to a strength competition consisting of only OHP and deadlift.

By that criteria I'd be stronger than him.

Fucking stupid.

You most likely are stronger than most BBers in your gym at all lifts. Some might have you on bench and squat but I bet the gross of all lifts are pretty close.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You most likely are stronger than most BBers in your gym at all lifts. Some might have you on bench and squat but I bet the gross of all lifts are pretty close.

It's surprisingly closer than I'd have guessed that's for sure. And these guys are on a lot of shit too.

And you're spot on. Their squat/bench is where they shine.

The thing is this is a meathead gym, so there's a lot of strong dudes here, but I'm pretty much the only powerlifter style meat head there.

The bigger BBers asked me to come to their show in STL in October. I'll probably take them up and show my support.

Cooter

It's surprisingly closer than I'd have guessed that's for sure. And these guys are on a lot of shit too.

The thing is this is a meathead gym, so there's a lot of strong dudes here, but I'm pretty much the only powerlifter style meat head there.

The bigger BBers asked me to come to their show in STL in October. I'll probably take them up and show my support.

Not to mention they probably out weigh you by a decent amount. Different strokes. I'd go too. Cool.

sruckus

Hi Guys, I am trying to get into lifting and exercising after too much of a sedentary lifestyle after high school. I came across the All Pro program, which seems great, however I have some questions if any of you are familiar about it (I can't seem to register for their own forums. It's broken and really annoying!)

I really don't want to spend money for a gym when I have a "gym" facility at my apt complex, however, while there is a bench press there's no squat rack, just a smith machine. I've read tons of criticism for that machine, so I am wondering what's best to deal with this.

I'm guessing I should use dumbbells for most of the things, bench press obviously still barbell, but what about the squats? Also, I would be doing this stuff alone so I do worry about not being able to lift something.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

But, you are certainly the OHP King of your gym?

My work environment makes it damn impossible to cut. There is so much pizza here. Free lunches every week. GAHHHHHHH

sounds like another day at planet fitness lol

im glad our department got too cheap to have potlucks and catered lunches, though our cafeteria is a deathtrap. damn chilaquiles.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Hi Guys, I am trying to get into lifting and exercising after too much of a sedentary lifestyle after high school. I came across the All Pro program, which seems great, however I have some questions if any of you are familiar about it (I can't seem to register for their own forums. It's broken and really annoying!)

I really don't want to spend money for a gym when I have a "gym" facility at my apt complex, however, while there is a bench press there's no squat rack, just a smith machine. I've read tons of criticism for that machine, so I am wondering what's best to deal with this.

I'm guessing I should use dumbbells for most of the things, bench press obviously still barbell, but what about the squats? Also, I would be doing this stuff alone so I do worry about not being able to lift something.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!
all of these questions can be answered in the OP, mane.

Ditch the All Pro, all you need is starting strength, good luck brother

Chocobro

Okay, thanks! Heh, good eyes there, I didn't notice that at all on the video ;) I didn't feel it much at all during the workout either but that's something I'll need to shift a bit of focus to then.

Actually, I've been adding weight quite fast these last 4 workouts as I started doing SS instead of some homebuilt program. On squats I went from 60*8 and started out with 62,5*5 then added 2,5 kg each workout. Should've done 72,5kg*5*5 today but I figured maybe I should take it easier because of the pain after. No problems with pain on other lifts though.
Damn...strong. I wasn't anywhere near that when I started back in September weighing at 130lbs.
And I can't think of a possible cause of the lower back pain. How are you breathing during the squat? Are you properly performing the valsalva maneuver?

Sign up for email list on adidas.com and they will send you a 10% discount code.

Dude. Thanks!

I probably should've mentioned that. There's just no notice on the top like in the Canadian website; only says "Free shipping + free returns" in the US website. If you can wait a bit (maybe a week or two) Adidas might send out a 15% off code if you want that extra 5% off. When I ordered mine, they automatically applied a 20% off promotion for some reason though.

Cooter

I'm impatient when I want something. Ordering them tonight! Just got 385x5 with my shitty tennis shoes.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Nearly threw up after 5/3/1 BBB deadlift session tonight.

Never really did more than 5 reps/set of deads, so 5x10 was fucking killer. I literally collapsed to the floor after my third set, sweating balls and gasping for air. I did 50 warm-up pull-ups before the deadlifts, though, so that didn't necessarily make things easier. And the hanging leg raises at the end... my god, my grip was so closing to giving on every set.

But I pulled through and feel like a badass now.

brb vomiting

Awhile back people in this thread asked me what specific goals I had in mind. How exactly do I know what a reasonable goal is? Is there a list of general bodies floating around where I can just point it out and go "I wanna get to that point"? Because otherwise I have no idea how to mentally formulate a goal.

Also I know I have to consume more to actually gain weight to turn to muscle and stuff. But I personally grew up eating very little. I can hardly eat more than a medium sized hamburger and some fries for dinner most days without feeling overstuffed. I know satiation points can be changed over time, but I also know the body doesn't make you feel as full if the calorie influx comes from liquids rather than solids. So can anyone recommend me some good way to liquify a bunch of calories for relatively cheap? Preferably in a way that tastes good, and also without a bunch of sugar. I know a popular one is "GOMAD" or something, but I kind of dislike milk unless I can flavor it like chocolate or something.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nearly threw up after 5/3/1 BBB deadlift session tonight.

Never really did more than 5 reps/set of deads, so 5x10 was fucking killer. I literally collapsed to the floor after my third set, sweating balls and gasping for air. I did 50 warm-up pull-ups before the deadlifts, though, so that didn't necessarily make things easier. And the hanging leg raises at the end... my god, my grip was so closing to giving on every set.

But I pulled through and feel like a badass now.

brb vomiting

Eat accordingly!

Lol

I haven't seen many people OHP that heavy even with some 450-500 benches. I think Dan Green only OHP 315, maybe he has done a bit more recently, with serious back arch while he had benched 500+ raw iirc.

Well, that's good to hear. Now I just need a better bench!

Cooter

Awhile back people in this thread asked me what specific goals I had in mind. How exactly do I know what a reasonable goal is? Is there a list of general bodies floating around where I can just point it out and go "I wanna get to that point"? Because otherwise I have no idea how to mentally formulate a goal.
Imm0rt4l should be posting tomorrow. That should do it.

sruckus

all of these questions can be answered in the OP, mane.

Ditch the All Pro, all you need is starting strength, good luck brother

Yeah, I'm screwed basically. So pissed this stupid facility doesn't have a squat rack. I'm going to have to pay for a membership at the college I work at, I guess. Just kills me. 40/month is hard to justify.

SeanR1221

Heh, second day of eating a little more was a total failure. Got busy at work work and went I to squatting having only eaten 800 calories throughout the day and then felt exhausted. Now it's 9:00pm and I have to stuff my face. Won't make that mistake again

Cooter

Done! Black/Scarlet AdiPower and Rehband Original Knee Sleeves ordered. Pretty excited!

Ended up getting 15% off the shoes! Thank you everyone

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Well first time doing regular DLs in 6 months, went easy.

Warm ups up to 365x5 then 405/415/425/435/445x3 I tried a belt on some of the sets and it just dug into my stomach too much so I threw it off after the first rep. Lower back was really tight/sore where I felt pressure and hamstrings were quite tight...Back is fine now just feels tired. Pause squat time!

Done! Black/Scarlet AdiPower and Rehband Original Knee Sleeves ordered. Pretty excited!

Ended up getting 15% off the shoes! Thank you everyone

You won't regret it! Oly shoes are a game changer, at least they were for me.

rokkerkory

So I have some friends asking for my inputs on getting in shape. I am all for it and will help but most of these people are like:

"i don't wanna lift like crazy"
"i don't wanna get too big"
"i don't wanna be too muscular" - from girls
"i need to lose 20 lbs in a month" - mostly from girls

I tell them to define their goals and create a plan. But after talking to most of them, they just want instant results and not willing to make a true lifestyle change. SMH!!!

Cooter

So I have some friends asking for my inputs on getting in shape. I am all for it and will help but most of these people are like:

"i don't wanna lift like crazy"
"i don't wanna get too big"
"i don't wanna be too muscular" - from girls
"i need to lose 20 lbs in a month" - mostly from girls

I tell them to define their goals and create a plan. But after talking to most of them, they just want instant results and not willing to make a true lifestyle change. SMH!!!
Time to educate. If they don't want to be educated then so be it. Only so much you can do.

Looking forward to it MTP. I hope they help me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So my thighs seem to be developing quite nicely, but my calves could use a little help.

Can I get some work outs to help that, por favor?

Tabasco

Concern I have:

I only go to the gym 2 days a week at the most.

My stats:

Squat, bench, and deadlift are all the same weight at 95 pounds which includes the bar itself. Basically, I'm adding 25 pound plates on each side. I'm struggling with benching at this weight, but it's still doable for me.

After I weight lift, I do cardio on the elliptical for around 20 minutes.

My question is, is doing this routine every week for only 2 days per week a good enough thing? Basically, is doing this better than doing nothing at all?

I was on the verge of quitting the gym because I feel like my lazy routine won't really get me anywhere in terms of gains. I have been going to the gym for at least 5 months.

Weight: 140 lbs more or less
Height: Around 5'5"

RoeBear

Pretty much did nothing but leg presses today. Did 113 reps. I can not stand up.

Edit: Gonna elaborate on workout just cause I feel so good after it

One leg extensions 3x20

Leg press 20 reps at 270, 20 reps at 360, 20 at 540, 18 at 720, then did a drop set with reps at 10,10,10,25 dropping 2 plates at a time.

Hack squat 15x90, 15x180, 12,270. drop set of 10,10,20 starting at 360 and dropping 2 then one plate.

Finished with lunges across the gym 3 sets probably 20-25 yards no weight.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Concern I have:

I only go to the gym 2 days a week at the most.

My stats:

Squat, bench, and deadlift are all the same weight at 95 pounds which includes the bar itself. Basically, I'm adding 25 pound plates on each side. I'm struggling with benching at this weight, but it's still doable for me.

After I weight lift, I do cardio on the elliptical for around 20 minutes.

My question is, is doing this routine every week for only 2 days per week a good enough thing? Basically, is doing this better than doing nothing at all?

I was on the verge of quitting the gym because I feel like my lazy routine won't really get me anywhere in terms of gains. I have been going to the gym for at least 5 months.

Weight: 140 lbs more or less
Height: Around 5'5"
You should be adding weight each time you train. If you squat 95lbs one day, try 100 the next time you squat.

Cooter

So my thighs seem to be developing quite nicely, but my calves could use a little help.

Can I get some work outs to help that, por favor?
Who cares? I have small sprinters calves but they're still holding up during heavy squats and DLs. Only thing you can do are raises and lots of them and even that may not grow them as much as you'd like. I hammered my calves for 9 months and saw little results. Hit them 2 or 3 times a week with raises and be patient. That's all the advice I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom