• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
410x3 squat. New 3 rep max and after this video no one can question my depth. Lol. Video tonight or it's on my FB. Also if you guys want you can add me on FB. I'm On my way to work so if someone already on wants to link it that is fine. If not. Video tonight!

BumRush

410x3 squat. New 3 rep max and after this video no one can question my depth. Lol. Video tonight or it's on my FB. Also if you guys want you can add me on FB. I'm On my way to work so if someone already on wants to link it that is fine. If not. Video tonight!

Damn dude...so impressive.

How much do you weigh by the way?

J. Bravo

goddamn. just added you on fb and saw the video. i'm impressed. thats about my goal by the end of the year.

sphinx

the piano man
dear fitgaf, am I late to the belt party??

almost everyone squating over 2 plates is doing so wearing a belt. I am above that already and haven't even entretained the idea of getting one and quite frankly I rather not. the less shit I carry with me while working out the better.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
High pulls are difficult. Jeez! Not to mention I felt like the entire gym was staring at me.

Back day:

Weighted pullups/45lb shrugs

30x10/20
40x10/20
50x10/20
60x8/20
75x6

Bent over BB rows/135lb high pulls

135x10/6
165x8/6
195x6/6
225x5/5

I don't know if supersetting rows with high pulls made it so difficult but damn, when I got to 6 I was fried.

velociraptor

High pulls are difficult. Jeez! Not to mention I felt like the entire gym was staring at me.

Back day:

Weighted pullups/45lb shrugs

30x10/20
40x10/20
50x10/20
60x8/20
70x6

Bent over BB rows/135lb high pulls

135x10/6
165x8/6
195x6/6
225x5/5

I don't know if supersetting rows with high pulls made it so difficult but damn, when I got to 6 I was fried.
Very impressive for weighted pullups. I can only manage 4 reps at 55lbs lol.

Cooter

Very impressive for weighted pullups. I can only manage 4 reps at 55lbs lol.
Nothing to laugh at dude! This summer before I stopped due to shoulder issues I was finishing at 115x4. I'll get back. Taking it slow. I can probably get 100 3 or 4 times if I tried.

guys, how do you motivate yourselves to not eat candies, cookies etc? I have a hard time

As soon as abs are starting to show and my weist is getting small, I lose it all because I can't control myself....

Cooter

guys, how do you motivate yourselves to not eat candies, cookies etc? I have a hard time

As soon as abs are starting to show and my weist is getting small, I lose it all because I can't control myself....

Keep it out of your house.

Haven't weighed myself in a week or two and I was 187.5 after the gym. Awesome! :rolleyes. Best case scenario I gained 2.5lbs of muscle in my 7 week bulk. Admittedly that is being generous.

rokkerkory

I just ask myself, is it really worth it? Sweets give you instant and short-lived gratification but you have to pay for it in the gym. Each time I look see sweets I am repulsed now because I know how hard it is to lose fat.

BumRush

I make my protein shakes as sweet as possible - milk, myofusion cinnamon roll protein, banana, peanut butter - and I tell myself to wait until then for sweet cravings

velociraptor

Nothing to laugh at dude! This summer before I stopped due to shoulder issues I was finishing at 115x4. I'll get back. Taking it slow. I can probably get 100 3 or 4 times if I tried.
Any tips for someone like me? How can I expect to double my reps? How long does it actually take to get that strong? I've been trying to add 2.5lbs to every workout of weighted pullups although my reps have been slowly dropping each workout.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

I'm having:

1/2 cheese cake
chocolate milk
greek yogourt
sprite

Sugar overload.

Cooter

Any tips for someone like me? How can I expect to double my reps? How long does it actually take to get that strong? I've been trying to add 2.5lbs to every workout of weighted pullups although my reps have been slowly dropping each workout.
The best tip I have is get your body fat percentage pretty low. Dropping 5 or 10 pounds of fat makes a huge difference. Other than that I do body weight pullups once a week and weighted ones once a week. Practicing exploding up as high as you can also helps. If you can do muscle ups I would suggest throwing those in or trying to do them.

Keep adding weight when you feel like you can and be patient. I've been at this pull up thing for a dedicated 5 years. It takes time.

Been sick for two weeks!! Shit is catching up to me now :(

You should honestly look towards MrToughPants for motivation. Worry more about eating enough food and lifting heavy weights than beating yourself up over every little sweet you eat

Visceir

You should honestly look towards MrToughPants for motivation. Worry more about eating enough food and lifting heavy weights than beating yourself up over every little sweet you eat

I'm guessing they have different goals.

But yea, obsessing over every piece of candy is rather bad. Just drink lots of water whenever you feel cravings, or maybe even find a way to sweeten up that thing without extra calories. I got the amino1 bcaa-s, the orange flavor tastes awesome with some extra lemon juice in it. Close to zero calories

SeanR1221

Easy. I don't worry about abs.

You'd be the perfect person to read the link I posted yesterday. I'll post it again.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/how-to-stay-small-and-weak/

Saw it earlier. Solid and no question on depth. Nice job, man.

Cudder

Get some quest bars and just Google some recipes you can make with them. Some of them look amazing.

Cooter

Thanks. Had to edit. It's 410 not 420. Fat fingered it on my iPad.

Watching your squat and also Antons' really makes me want to push myself and record a heavy set of squats. You guys are awesome.

I should probably get knee sleeves and ditch my tennis shoes for proper footwear.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So not only are you e-statting, you're also promoting illegal drug use ;)

More seriously, nice work. IIRC you've had some issues with your squat being out of line with other lifts. For a 3RM that looked quite solid and a good form to progress on. You've got the hips rising a bit before the chest like Rippetoe advocates without letting it turn into a something more like a good morning. Dan Green has a similar ascent out of the hole so you're in good company there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Watching your squat and also Antons' really makes me want to push myself and record a heavy set of squats. You guys are awesome.

I should probably get knee sleeves and ditch my tennis shoes for proper footwear.

I like my sleeves and proper footwear will make a good difference. Thanks, just glad it's moving again.

So not only are you e-statting, you're also promoting illegal drug use ;)

More seriously, nice work. IIRC you've had some issues with your squat being out of line with other lifts. For a 3RM that looked quite solid and a good form to progress on. You've got the hips rising a bit before the chest like Rippetoe advocates without letting it turn into a something more like a good morning. Dan Green has a similar ascent out of the hole so you're in good company there.

Huh? I'm guessing you're referencing the posters on the wall at the gym? And yeah, squat was terrible for the longest time. It's finally moving again and better.

After this I did 350 for 3 sets of 4 and good mornings at 335 for 3 sets of 3.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I like my sleeves and proper footwear will make a good difference. Thanks, just glad it's moving again.

Huh? I'm guessing you're referencing the posters on the wall at the gym? And yeah, squat was terrible for the longest time. It's finally moving again and better.

After this I did 350 for 3 sets of 4 and good mornings at 335 for 3 sets of 3.
I have been reliably informed by teenagers playing CoD and Halo that 420 is a secret code for marijuana use.

But yeah, once again, good work on identifying your problems and working through them. Generally the hardest part of improving an out of sync/stalled lift is getting it moving again in the first place, the second hardest being consistency. Examples like yours help show people that progress isn't guaranteed for anyone, no matter how strong; everyone has their own unique quirks and foibles to deal with. The important thing is that they are identified and dealt with, not turned into excuses or ignored in favour of bashing your head against a wall.

Pakoe

I been trying to understand a bit more about EC/ECA and is its main benefit just appetite suppression? It will also slightly increases your BMR from what I believe. I wouldn't mind trying it but I don't know if it is worth it. Maybe just try Yohimbine instead.

I use it for the fat burn, when i'm in a cut i always use it. It does help and the increased energy does me good when i'm eating less. There's no harm in trying it, but it can be pretty overwhelming for the first time.

Visceir

Speaking of weight loss "supplements" -- was talking with a friend of mine about my summer prep and he was like "I could get you some dnp if you want."

I don't really have any issues with weight loss or dieting, so obviously I declined. Having never heard of it before I did some reading up on it and that stuff seems scary and cool at the same time. Seems like it'd be fully possible to get a sixpack in a week with that stuff, but it can also be really dangerous if not even deadly.

theytookourjobz

Speaking of weight loss "supplements" -- was talking with a friend of mine about my summer prep and he was like "I could get you some dnp if you want."

I don't really have any issues with weight loss or dieting, so obviously I declined. Having never heard of it before I did some reading up on it and that stuff seems scary and cool at the same time. Seems like it'd be fully possible to get a sixpack in a week with that stuff, but it can also be really dangerous if not even deadly.

A quick fix is usually the wrong path to go down.

As far as avoiding sweets and self control, if I'm going to eat bullshit I just make sure I do it after a gnarly workout at the gym. According to some shit I've read the body has a much harder time storing carbs in adipose cells after heavy lifting.

Cudder

damn son.

is anyone else like me and HAS to have the plates facing a certain way when you lift? for me, they all have to be facing OUTWARDS, on everything I do. if they're facing in, i'll take all them bitches off and put them back on the way I like em. since I started i've always put my plates on that way, and even though it's obviously the same weight either way, it's such a small mental thing that I'd be thinking about it during my set if they're on the wrong way.

SeanR1221

So on Monday, I hit a rep PR on SS: 385x3x5. This felt great--very solid, no form breakdown or anything.

Before I go further, some background: towards the end of last year, I went through a pretty rough breakup, and essentially didn't lift and got drunk just about every night for 2ish months, then just moped around for 1 more, just for good measure. Lost about 20 lbs, was down to 180-185.

In January, I decided to leave Facebook for my own mental health, with the stipulation being that maybe I'd join back up when I could hit a rather arbitrary goal: squat 405. At this point, my first SS workout had me EEK out 245x3x5, and I literally could not squat for three days after because I was so sore.

Enter Starting Strength and ~1 month of GOMAD.

As my Monday SS workout went well, I considered keeping down the SS path. However, some circumstances were forcing me to head back to Facebook ahead of time, as I needed to plan an event and send out FB invites. So with the encouragement of a friend, I decided today I would try for 405 on the squat.

Even though I was confident I would get it, I was still nervous...but it went up smooth. 405x1.

Thinking "fuck it, why not" I loaded up 430, which was 5 lbs heavier than my PR from around mid last year. That went up solid as well.

Same with 440.

A rather experienced powerlifter at the gym said it looked good and I should consider bumping it up even more. I initially put 450 on the bar, but I mean, 455 was RIGHT there and putting the 25s on looked AWESOME.

So, 455x1: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...82&authkey=!AD32qGAFSIG33dU&ithint=video,.mp4

(hope the video works for y'all)

I clearly have a sticking point, but it felt great. I would have kept going, but my left shoulder bugged me more and more after each set (it's my bum shoulder).

Feeling good, bros. I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER

Just noticed this post. Great story and the squat looked awesome.

hot dog

Neo Member
Height: 6'
Weight: 92kg (200lb)
Goal: Aesthetics/Mass
Current Training Schedule: M/Tu/F Gym, Rugby on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday
Current Training Equipment Available: Everything
Comments: Hello everyone, I need some advice on a routine. I've been following the Westside routine as it seems more suited to people doing sport. I can only really do one squat day a week (generally Mondays) due to sporting commitments. Legs are already fairly meaty anyway. However, with the Westside I'm finding it fairly unstrenuous after 2 months. Below is my routine. Just looking for something which maybe has more compound lifts, although legs only on Monday. Or should I just stick with this? Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks in advance

Monday: Squat 4x6; Lunges 3x8; Leg Curls 3x10
Tuesday: Bench 4x6; DB Incline Press 3x10; Bent over row 4x10; Reverse Flyes 3x10; Weighted side bends 3x10
Friday: Bench max reps 3x; Rope push downs 3x10; Lat pulldowns 4x12; DB Shoulder press 3x10; Preacher curls 3x10

Thanks in advance

SeanR1221

Tempted to end the cut today. Instead of next month. That was my original goal but then it changed to beginning of May when I booked my vacation. I'm down 15lbs in 12 weeks, 2 notches on my belt, 3 on my weight belt. My bench has gone to absolute shit and my recovery is terrible. I'm also way more tired than usual. Sex drive has dropped too. If I stop I'm not going whole hog. Slowly adding in an extra 100 calories a day and sticking to the same foods I've been eating.

Thoughts?

Cudder

Tempted to end the cut today. Instead of next month. That was my original goal but then it changed to beginning of May when I booked my vacation. I'm down 15lbs in 12 weeks, 2 notches on my belt, 3 on my weight belt. My bench has gone to absolute shit and my recovery is terrible. I'm also way more tired than usual. Sex drive has dropped too. If I stop I'm not going whole hog. Slowly adding in an extra 100 calories a day and sticking to the same foods I've been eating.

Thoughts?

Well that's unfortunate. Is this your first real cut? And if not, did you feel like this on your last one?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks guys.

Thoughts?

Personally I'd end the cut for a week them re-evaluate. If you're hoping to maintain strength/size that amount of loss in that amount of time is too drastic IMO.

I find what I'm doing right now is working very well, but I've only been doing it for about 8 weeks. And it's a very, very slow burn.

SeanR1221

Well that's unfortunate. Is this your first real cut? And if not, did you feel like this on your last one?

My first honest attempt, yeah

Personally I'd end the cut for a week them re-evaluate. If you're hoping to maintain strength/size that amount of loss in that amount of time is too drastic IMO.

I find what I'm doing right now is working very well, but I've only been doing it for about 8 weeks. And it's a very, very slow burn.

The way I see it, if I slowly add more calories I'll hit a nice recomp point. I really don't want to get into cut/bulk cycles if that makes sense. I think as someone as early in the game as me it's pointless. The original goal was just to not be such a bloated fat mess.

I'll post a progress pic up later.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My first honest attempt, yeah

The way I see it, if I slowly add more calories I'll hit a nice recomp point. I really don't want to get into cut/bulk cycles if that makes sense. I think as someone as early in the game as me it's pointless. The original goal was just to not be such a bloated fat mess.

I'll post a progress pic up later.

Not talking about a bulk/cut cycle. More of a "feed what you're doing for the day" plan.

On off days I get about 1800 calories 150+grams protein and around 100 or less carbs.

On lifting days around 3k calories and unrestricted carbs. Even more unrestricted on deadlift and squat days.

Cudder

Brolic, I'm curious. I'm at 230lbs and if I remember correctly you're just over that. What's your BF%, if you know it? It boggles my fucking mind that we're almost the same weight but I'm not nearly as big as you. Not that I expect to be or anything, but it's like I have nothing to show for my weight, lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brolic, I'm curious. I'm at 230lbs and if I remember correctly you're just over that. What's your BF%, if you know it? It boggles my fucking mind that we're almost the same weight but I'm not nearly as big as you. Not that I expect to be or anything, but it's like I have nothing to show for my weight, lol.

Dude I'm 5'8" 234lbs and probably every bit of 20-25% body fat. I'm a chunky monkey.

Thoughts?
It really is up to you. I think you should reevaluate what you're doing, and just decide where you want to take your goal from here.

You could just need a break.
Dude I'm 5'8" 234lbs and probably every bit of 20-25% body fat. I'm a chunky monkey.
We're the same height? Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom