• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

So my thighs seem to be developing quite nicely, but my calves could use a little help.

Can I get some work outs to help that, por favor?

some of the strongest guys i know, myself included, have bitch made looking calves. the only reason i even do them is because my right is smaller than my left since i broke my right tibia and the muscles in that leg atrophied.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Was so tired going to the gym today, still have this fucking cold for 2+ weeks now!!! Meanwhile my boss who gave it to me and my co-workers is gone on a week long vacation...

Buddy has this GAT pre-workout stuff, I took two scoops and it didn't do shit but make me itchy and give me a weird feeling in my stomach.

2-3sec paused max depth full squats after warm ups were:

315/325/335/355/315x5

Almost passed out after the 355 set...

Did DB shoulder press 70/80/90/100x8 and a single set of 25 pullups where I was just fucking dead tired and GTFO of there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What's everyone's favorite quest bars? Right now I've done brownie and cookies and cream and like both a lot. Looking to get another box and wanna keep the not disappointd train going.

Done! Black/Scarlet AdiPower and Rehband Original Knee Sleeves ordered. Pretty excited!

Ended up getting 15% off the shoes! Thank you everyone

Not orange? Booo! If you ever get hip or elbow issues look into the shorts and sleeves.

Those black/red ones are nice

Saw this on my Facebook feed and it made me think of Brolic haha

cCQFno2.png

Yeah I see that a lot. And unfortunately a lot of my fellow staff are slobs.

Was so tired going to the gym today, still have this fucking cold for 2+ weeks now!!! Meanwhile my boss who gave it to me and my co-workers is gone on a week long vacation...

Buddy has this GAT pre-workout stuff, I took two scoops and it didn't do shit but make me itchy and give me a weird feeling in my stomach.

2-3sec paused max depth full squats after warm ups were:

315/325/335/355/315x5

Almost passed out after the 355 set...

Did DB shoulder press 70/80/90/100x8 and a single set of 25 pullups where I was just fucking dead tired and GTFO of there.

That's scary. I wonder if the preworkout jacked your BP up causing the near blackout.

grumble

What's everyone's favorite quest bars? Right now I've done brownie and cookies and cream and like both a lot. Looking to get another box and wanna keep the not disappointd train going.

Not orange? Booo! If you ever get hip or elbow issues look into the shorts and sleeves.

Yeah I see that a lot. And unfortunately a lot of my fellow staff are slobs.

That's scary. I wonder if the preworkout jacked your BP up causing the near blackout.

My favourite is apple pie, which is good if you like apple pie. It's okay cold but better warm. White chocolate raspberry is solid too, probably my second favourite. Don't get cinnamon bun, it's way too sweet.

MBR

Banned
Damn...strong. I wasn't anywhere near that when I started back in September weighing at 130lbs.
And I can't think of a possible cause of the lower back pain. How are you breathing during the squat? Are you properly performing the valsalva maneuver?
To be clear, I've been lifting for over a year now, but I've been progressing slower strength-wise than I am now. I didn't start out lifting my BW :p

I didn't know what the valsalva maneuver meant, looked it up, and I guess it's when you hold your breath during the rep to tighten your core? I think I do that properly by now, and exhale toward the end of the rep.

grumble

Who cares? I have small sprinters calves but they're still holding up during heavy squats and DLs. Only thing you can do are raises and lots of them and even that may not grow them as much as you'd like. I hammered my calves for 9 months and saw little results. Hit them 2 or 3 times a week with raises and be patient. That's all the advice I have.

I've heard there's a trick to calf raises, where you have to pause at the bottom f each rep then drive them up; something about elastic function of the Achilles keeping the muscle from getting worked. Dd you did that pausing helped?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shit, I didn't think of that...

My BP is naturally high 130-140/80-90.

Bet that was it. Valsava + paused squats (prolonged pressure) + BP increasing stimulant and naturally high BP = nap time.

My favourite is apple pie, which is good if you like apple pie. It's okay cold but better warm. White chocolate raspberry is solid too, probably my second favourite. Don't get cinnamon bun, it's way too sweet.

I like cookie dough and Peanutbutter supreme.

pb&j is dope too. apple pie is my fav that i've had tho.

Lol. Sounds like they are all pretty much good to go.

Thank god I have gigantic calves and never do raises.

Lucky bastard!

I hate how if you have small calves everyone immediately brings out the you must skip leg day jokes. It's always the skinniest dudes who say if too. Its like "mutherfucker you must skip everyday at the gym"

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Lucky bastard!

I hate how if you have small calves everyone immediately brings out the you must skip leg day jokes. It's always the skinniest dudes who say if too. Its like "mutherfucker you must skip everyday at the gym"
I'm strange because while my calves are on the small side, my ass and hips are abnormally large. So they may see my calves and think to make a comment but then glance up and decided not to. I've never had anyone give me shit about skipping leg day or having a small lower body.

MrToughPants

My calves are 15.5? inches and legs 27.5-28 last time I measured. My ass is fucking huge for 200lbs...like Sidney Crosby big. Ideally, calves and arms should be very close for natural but my arms are between 17.5-18. My dad and brother both have monstrous calves so I got the shit end of the stick genetically when it comes to calves.

Even more pathetic is my 13-13.5" forearms, yet my grip is very strong for having girlish sized hands. When trying hook grip I can barely get the tip of my index around my thumb. I have small bones.

My calves are 15.5? inches and legs 27.5-28 last time I measured. My ass is fucking huge for 200lbs...like Sidney Crosby big. Ideally, calves and arms should be very close for natural but my arms are between 17.5-18. My dad and brother both have monstrous calves so I got the shit end of the stick genetically when it comes to calves.

Even more pathetic is my 13-13.5" forearms, yet my grip is very strong for having girlish sized hands. When trying hook grip I can barely get the tip of my index around my thumb. I have small bones.
Hah, I have tiny hands and tiny wrists, but very large forearms. It really looks weird. I am pretty sure I posted once in an older FitGAF thread asking about wrist training because I was so worried about them.

My forearms are roughly the same size as my unflexed arms, just a tad smaller, it looks so weird.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Haha. This made me measure. My forearms are 14.5" while my calves are only 14. Legs 25.5 and arms are 16.5. I'm not sure how I feel about having forearms larger than my calves...

MrToughPants

Hah, I have tiny hands and tiny wrists, but very large forearms. It really looks weird. I am pretty sure I posted once in an older FitGAF thread asking about wrist training because I was so worried about them.

My forearms are roughly the same size as my unflexed arms, just a tad smaller, it looks so weird.

Haha. This made me measure. My forearms are 14.5" while my calves are only 14. Legs 25.5 and arms are 16.5. I'm not sure how I feel about having forearms larger than my calves...

Gorilla forearms all up in here.

abuC

My calves are pretty big, last I checked they were well over 18". I think a lot of my measurements are high because of bone structure, I have 8" wrists and 11" ankles so I don't look as muscular as someone with less dense bones I guess.

blackflag

I agree apple pie is great and white chocolate raspberry is my favorite. Love dat fiber

blackflag

Damn cooter, how did you measure your arm, extended or like standard bicep pose?

despire

Guys stop bitching how expensive the Adipowers are. Last time I checked they were 250 euros (~350$) here in Finland. 200 bucks ain't nothing compared to that :p

JimiNutz

Banned
This is actually more of a technology question but...

If I purchase a digital copy of Jim Wendler 5/3/1 from his website, will I be able to view it on a Windows 8 laptop or do I need to own some sort of Kindle/e-reader?

Chittagong

Gold Member
So I have some friends asking for my inputs on getting in shape. I am all for it and will help but most of these people are like:

"i don't wanna lift like crazy"
"i don't wanna get too big"
"i don't wanna be too muscular" - from girls
"i need to lose 20 lbs in a month" - mostly from girls

I tell them to define their goals and create a plan. But after talking to most of them, they just want instant results and not willing to make a true lifestyle change. SMH!!!

People don't realise that even if they wanted, they probably couldn't get big.

My learning has been so far that it takes multiple years of extremely disciplined, consistent and well informed nutrition and programmed, researched training to even have a chance to be big.

Kind of made me look differently at the 'meat heads'.

SeanR1221

Huh I never knew that. Just measured. Arms are just shy of 16 1/4, calves are 16 1/4 and forearms are 13.

Petrie

Banned

I don't think my girlfriend realized how disheartening it was the other day when she goes "people that knew you before know you must lift a ton to look like that now, but anybody who doesn't know you can tell you go to the gym, but not that you're lifting as hard and often as you do."

Dem sad feels.

Pakoe

So I have some friends asking for my inputs on getting in shape. I am all for it and will help but most of these people are like:

"i don't wanna lift like crazy"
"i don't wanna get too big"
"i don't wanna be too muscular" - from girls
"i need to lose 20 lbs in a month" - mostly from girls

I tell them to define their goals and create a plan. But after talking to most of them, they just want instant results and not willing to make a true lifestyle change. SMH!!!

Better get used to these kinds of question, i've been hearing there ever since i started adding some serious mass. They all want the same things, fast results with half the effort. If only it was that easy.

sphinx

the piano man

My learning has been so far that it takes multiple years of extremely disciplined, consistent and well informed nutrition and programmed, researched training to even have a chance to be big.

Kind of made me look differently at the 'meat heads'.

it's interesting to check the regulars in a gym.

To be perfectly honest, I have been going to my gym for about 20 months now and I don't think anyone has displayed an "out of this world" transformation, most people look kind of the same...I am sure they don't look the same, it's just that I see them often and don't have old pics of them to compare.

and everybody busts their ass there. looking like you lift will take gallons of sweat, specially if you have a complete body workout instead of arm+chest 3 times a week.

Huh I never knew that. Just measured. Arms are just shy of 16 1/4, calves are 16 1/4 and forearms are 13.

I meausred my calves and they are exactly 14 while ym arms are shy of 13.5.

I have just come to terms that I'll have some definition or decent form on both but size is not something I'll ever get compliments for.

The Chef

Been out of the protein supplement game for a good 6 months. Thinking about taking some through April just for some serious protein intake for the next month or so.

Looks like Gold Standard Whey on amazon seems like a pretty good choice. Thoughts? Best flavor?

SeanR1221

it's interesting to check the regulars in a gym.

To be perfectly honest, I have been going to that gym for about 20 months now and I don't think anyone has displayed an "out of this world" transformation, most people look kind of the same...I am sure they don't look the same, it's just that I see them often and don't have old pics of them to compare.

and everybody busts their ass there. looking like you lift will take gallons of sweat, specially if you have a complete body workout instead of arm+chest 3 times a week.

I meausred my calves and they are exactly 14 while ym arms are shy of 13.5.

I have just come to terms that I'll have some definition or decent form on both but size is not something I'll ever get compliments for.

Genetics are crazy. However you WILL get stronger and there's nothing cooler than a smaller looking guy putting up big weight with perfect form.

Agreed on the regulars, but then you have to wonder about their goals. If it's general fitness they're good with what they're doing.

What's killer are the guys who express they DO want to get stronger and stay at the same weight constantly. There's one young guy who asks me for advice constantly and I always tell him to KISS (keep it simple, stupid). Problem is he takes advice from everyone and has some Frankenstein program now.

Pete Rock

I don't think my girlfriend realized how disheartening it was the other day when she goes "people that knew you before know you must lift a ton to look like that now, but anybody who doesn't know you can tell you go to the gym, but not that you're lifting as hard and often as you do."
I dunno, it's not really on you either way. It is an interesting side effect that you can only notice having been on both sides of the transformation, that much is true. There is a certain type of person that seems to assume you were spawned from a fissure in the earth with that level of definition and body fat percentage, I suppose I was guilty of this for a while to a certain extent before "achieving" a result greater than I originally thought my "potential" would allow.

I find the contrast makes it all the more delicious when someone approaches you and says "jesus christ how much do you squat?" - it's not any less awesome of a compliment than "your ass is amazing" but it indicates the knowledge base quite readily, and as a committed individual we personally find more intrinsic value in the semi-rhetorical question rather than the purely praise based statement. Real recognizes real, if you've never attempted to put in the work there is literally no way for you to objectively quantify the discipline and commitment that individual made to get to that level.

It's also another reason that when random guys in the locker room sauna ask me what I do to look like xyz I tell them the absolute truth about Starting Strength and a solid diet plan while also illustrating that I used to be a +60lb heavier 2 pack a day smoker with severe back problems, reinforcing the "fact" that if I could do it of all people, they can do anything with their body if they focus and make a commitment. Spread the positive energy down the other end of the spectrum, it's significantly rewarding and most importantly stays in the vein of transmitting knowledge instead of opinion. Life's about changes, after all!

MikeRahl

I need some advice with my workout routine.

When I started out, it was because my Wife and I wanted to get into weightlifting. We have a member ship at a Y, which is great for us because we moved to the big city, and when we come back home (sometimes for weeks at a time) we can just move to our local Y and not miss a beat, and she enjoys swimming so that is a plus.

I tried to find a nice, non-threatening routine for her, as she didn't have much experience with weights and what we landed on was this I have experience with Starting Strength and did some work when I was large (270 lbs) with a friend who was big into body building (ended up getting down to 220).

We've been at this for 6 months or so, and I've gone from 220 lbs to 185, and she from 150 to 135 (which is probably low for her, she is 5'10). We've been tracking our calories on My Fitness Pal and realized we were probably way undereating, which helps explain all the weight loss. Currently we are trying to eat 2500 calories a day, 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat. Our routine is generally weights Mon/Wed/Fri with 15 minutes medium intensity cardio afterwards and then stretching, on Tuesday and Thursdays we run on the Treadmill to get some running in as we are signed up for a number of 5k's over the summer.

The issue here is that the Y really isn't a serious weightlifting facility at least where I am. The one we frequent has one Bench Press station and one Squat Rack. The Wife is frustrated that she isn't seeing much gains, and I was thinking that if we were doing a routine like Starting Strength it would help boost her confidence because the progress with that is quite linear and it is all bar bell work so she can go up in 5 lb increments rather than 10 lbs, she was frustrated with the Bench Press because it took her about a month to do her sets at 2 40 lb dumbbells and get to 45s.

Should we just suck it up and try to hustle our way into the power lift stations when we can while doing StrongLifts or Starting Strength or something else, or is there a more focused dumbbell workout we can do that we can use and ramp up the weights a bit more.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Speaking of strength, I have been on a pretty focused strength building program lately and am seeing really great progress. No cardio, 3 main lift days a week, same program with compound lifts in an A/B/A to B/A/B pattern.

OHP passed for 104lbs for 5x5
Bench passed 176lbs for 5x5
Squat passed 15lbs4 for 5x5
Deadlift passed 198lbs for 5x5
Chin Up BW for 5
Dips BW for 7

Strongest I have ever been. Not much compared to the vets here naturally, but has got me really motivated, I could not believe I could ever get stronger.

Now the next thing I need to control in order to progress is my fear. Specifically, for the heaviest Bench, Squat and Press sets. They fill me with dread already prior to the session.

Cudder

Been out of the protein supplement game for a good 6 months. Thinking about taking some through April just for some serious protein intake for the next month or so.

Looks like Gold Standard Whey on amazon seems like a pretty good choice. Thoughts? Best flavor?

The Mint Chocolate is delicious in milk.

Yeah but for your frame, you should be fine. I think for the "ideal" look, your calves and arms are suppose to be the same size.

I would love to have 18 inch arms, cold and non flexed.

Looking and all of our measurements, I guess we really do have some size on us. The fact that our calves are bigger than you average arms is crazy to me.

rokkerkory

Speaking of strength, I have been on a pretty focused strength building program lately and am seeing really great progress. No cardio, 3 main lift days a week, same program with compound lifts in an A/B/A to B/A/B pattern.

Chin Up BW for 5
Dips BW for 7

Strongest I have ever been. Not much compared to the vets here naturally, but has got me really motivated, I could not believe I could ever get stronger.

Now the next thing I need to control in order to progress is my fear. Specifically, for the heaviest Bench, Squat and Press sets. They fill me with dread already prior to the session.

Good stuff and nice start. Those are nice numbers. Keep pushing!

I seriously just had a dream that I was deadlifting. What does this mean MTP

sounds like you're at a crossroads. one path leads to gains, one path leads to long term health, the other to snap city. choose wisely.
images

but in all seriousness, can you even DL anymore or is your SI joint hurting that much? maybe try 60% of your 1rm for high reps and slowly, very slowly work your way back up?

JCX

I've been working out for almost 7 months straight now. Doesn't sound that long, but usually I would putter out after about a month of cardio and starving myself.

Still trying to lose fat, but weightlifting is my main exercise now because I enjoy it more. Once I get a bit stronger I'll probably move to more free-weight exercise (always terrified of dropping the bar benching/squatting)

SeanR1221

Chin Up BW for 5
Dips BW for 7

Steady progress is steady progress. Nice job :)

Maybe switch to a 3x5 when the gainz train slows down. (And 1x5 on deadlifts)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Seems GNC is having 50-75% off sale on Muscle Pharm products. I really never buy ANYTHING at GNC (unless it's close dated), but is this a solid deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom