• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOD I can't wait until Saturday. Opted to take this week off since I haven't really done that in 6 months. Muscles sorer than usual and felt like I haven't gained at all this month especially in the chest.

I'm already feeling...sluggish. I know proper R&R (which is what I've done since last Saturday) is the right thing to do every now and then but dayum am I antsy.

Chocobro

To be clear, I've been lifting for over a year now, but I've been progressing slower strength-wise than I am now. I didn't start out lifting my BW :p

I didn't know what the valsalva maneuver meant, looked it up, and I guess it's when you hold your breath during the rep to tighten your core? I think I do that properly by now, and exhale toward the end of the rep.
Had me thinking you were a natural born athlete haha. How did your program look like over that year plus?

And maybe this video will help you: "How to Breathe Properly (With/Without Belt): Increase Strength + Reduce Lower Back Pain" because it isn't as easy as holding your breath during the rep to tighten your core. You have the general idea though.

So tired today guys from work and other stuff. Can't wait to hit the gym to wake up my body however. Today is leg day.

The best day. I hope you have a good one. It felt so good to go today after taking my CBE Process Design II exam.

Pete Rock

I am infatuated with the black high density full length Rumble Roller so I ordered a pair of the Beasties, got them in today. Had a sore glute on the left side so I figured I'd sit down and roll it around on the greenish x-firm ball and see what was up. Oh yeah. Fuck yeah. Love these products!

sruckus

So, I went through the OP and probably am going to do the Practical Programming (Alternate Plan). I'm wondering why no additional abdominal work and only 1 deadlift set per week is set? Would crunches (weighted or otherwise) be bad to do after working out? I have (and have had for awhile) a weak stomach and excess weight seems to like my chin and belly.

I also liked deadlifts when I first tried them out last weekend with a friend and they seemed like they did a lot, so any reason I'm only doing them once vs. the SS plan?

edit: oh and calf raises? I did some when I was going to do the AllPro program and liked them and really felt them afterward. Would they be worth adding?

Cudder

I am infatuated with the black high density full length Rumble Roller so I ordered a pair of the Beasties, got them in today. Had a sore glute on the left side so I figured I'd sit down and roll it around on the greenish x-firm ball and see what was up. Oh yeah. Fuck yeah. Love these products!

You mean you were disappointed with the Rumble Roller?

MrToughPants said:
I didn't think of that...

My BP is naturally high 130-140/80-90.

This makes me ask, do most people in here track their blood pressure? I historically have had BP just under prehypertension (about 119/77). Strangely, I find when I take creatine for an extended period of time (a month or more) my BP will elevate to around 130/85), but if I stop taking it, it goes back down over the course of a week or so. Very strange.

abuC

Been doing volume work with my back and the DOMS is a welcomed old friend, how I missed you. My lats feel like they are going to fall off my body.

This makes me ask, do most people in here track their blood pressure? I historically have had BP just under prehypertension (about 119/77). Strangely, I find when I take creatine for an extended period of time (a month or more) my BP will elevate to around 130/85), but if I stop taking it, it goes back down over the course of a week or so. Very strange.

We have one of those machines at work so i check mine ever so often. Losing fat made a huge difference, from high 120s/80s to low 100s/70s. Like even jacked up on EC it was way lower. For me at least body fat had a much larger impact than any supplements or medicines.

EDIT: catching up I see we're doing measurements. My neck, arms, and calves are all about 14". Which is...proportionate?

Pete Rock

You mean you were disappointed with the Rumble Roller?
Apologies if I was unclear. I really loved the RR at first but as with all rollers I seemed to build up a bit of a tolerance, so now it's just pretty amazing instead of zomg amazing! Based on my wonderful experience with that product I thought I'd see what else they had to offer and was pretty skeptical of these due to their cost and size. I still really enjoy the RR and use it every morning along with "the stick" and a "body back buddy" and it's still always going to be better than a normal cylinder for these types of smr applications. The x-firm beastie is easier to position and apply more pressure to a smaller more targeted area, so I would say it is significantly more aggressive. I was basically surprised to find it so useful and thought I was getting most of my sore spots out with the RR but the yellow spiky ball is truly deep tissue.

Hey guys, is there any High-protein DIY Meals websites that you guys use or could direct me to? I've been trying to cook my own food now.

Not sure if I could tolerate powdered supplements all year.

agrajag

Banned
Behold FitGAF, the tiniest wrists of all, mine!

jj3kXLu.jpg

I also like how the dim lighting makes it look like I actually have somewhat of a bicep, ha!

rokkerkory

FitGAF... losing a bit too much weight and size during cutting. Now down ~11 lbs to 148lb :(

I am going to up calories by 400 a day just in case to 2400. I am okay with a longer cut duration.

Just as future records for myself and for the lolz to you:

Forearm: 10
Wrist: 6.5
Bicep(flexed): 14
Calves: 14

Arms need more work obviously, but calves worry me. Of course arms cheat because the mass comes from biceps and triceps while poor calves are responsible of the swoleness all by themselves.

rokkerkory

Just as future records for myself and for the lolz to you:

Forearm: 10
Wrist: 6.5
Bicep(flexed): 14
Calves: 14

Arms need more work obviously, but calves worry me. Of course arms cheat because the mass comes from biceps and triceps while poor calves are responsible of the swoleness all by themselves.

at least your arms and calves match!

Add me to the small forearm group. On the bright side my calves are almost 18 inches so that's a bonus.

119/77 is pretty much exactly where you want your blood pressure. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

Add me to the small forearm group. On the bright side my calves are almost 18 inches so that's a bonus.
Just checked out of curiosity and my calves are 18" even as well. The sometimes swell up though from the trashed veins from my blood clot years ago.... they're probably closer to like 20" or so when I've walked a bit, lol.

That is probably the one and only benefit I got from that scary event. Though they don't swell as often anymore now that the clots are reabsorbed.

despire

I probably win the girliest arms contest.

Wrists: 6,3 inches

Forarms: 11 inches

(Calves 14,5 inches)

My hands are small as well and my arms are long. At least I can train my forearms (haven't done it yet) but I'm stuck with the wrist and hand size I have. I'm 6 foot tall.

Anyway, UD2.0 seems to be working. Even depleted I'm actually a bit heavier than two weeks ago but noticeably leaner.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Yeah, I'm screwed basically. So pissed this stupid facility doesn't have a squat rack. I'm going to have to pay for a membership at the college I work at, I guess. Just kills me. 40/month is hard to justify.

It's always worth bringing it up with the people who run it, I currently go to a franchise gym that's dirt cheap and has no staff other than trainers and cleaners, I brought up the fact there simply wasn't enough weight* to go around with a guy in a suit there one time.

*You'd have about 8 plates between 3 benches/squat racks

A fortnight later they brought more in

Wrists: 7
Forearms: 13.5
Arms: 17.5
Chest: 48.5
Thighs: 29
Calves: 17

Something along the lines of that. Late last year my chest was pushing 50 but lost fat and all that. I could be measuring it wrong cause I do flex when calculating the values.

I want to start a cut but the gains suddenly are flowing all over, gotta make use of whatever is going right.

My sleeping has been shit but that isn't even hindering it, guess it's just that time of the year for my body.

I mean I should be bench repping 225 in a month or so if this keeps going, which is beyond ridiculous looking back at where I was (175 felt like the end of the road just a while back).

Pete Rock

Do any of you have experience with dance lessons? I am going to a belly dancing class tonight, need to expand my range. They also offer a latin/hip-hop class but due to scheduling I can't get there in time as it's on the days I lift and it's across town at a different Y.

I am considering buying a book called Conditioning for Dance because every time I rage for 4 hours or more I have to do a lot of smr & yoga and maybe even some hot-tubbing to break up the stress above my knees and to get the knots out of my calves, generally taking the next three days off from any serious physical activity.

I suppose the fact that dancing is basically cardio would explain why it's so hard on me because I never jog or run or do jumping jacks or apparently anything with a similar repetitive motion pattern. Party monster problems!

MBR

Banned
Had me thinking you were a natural born athlete haha. How did your program look like over that year plus?

And maybe this video will help you: "How to Breathe Properly (With/Without Belt): Increase Strength + Reduce Lower Back Pain" because it isn't as easy as holding your breath during the rep to tighten your core. You have the general idea though.
Eh, it wasn't really even a program I guess. I mostly went to the gym, did something for most parts of the body for 8-10 reps and a couple of sets and that was it. No structure really until now.
I gained some weight thanks to that stuff though, but now I'm going more strength for a while to see how that goes, and wanted to start documenting my progress, which wasn't possible with my previous strategies.

I'll check my breathing when I go tomorrow. I do breathe through to my stomach a lot normally, but I can't say for sure how I do during work sets.

Irobot82

I don't know what Fit-GAF generally uses for protein supplement, but those who use it, VS is having their BOGO sale on their in house brand. The Pro 24 stuff is top notch. You can get 10lb 24g per serving mostly isolate and about 72 servings per container for about $70.

I don't know what Fit-GAF generally uses for protein supplement, but those who use it, VS is having their BOGO sale on their in house brand. The Pro 24 stuff is top notch. You can get 10lb 24g per serving mostly isolate and about 72 servings per container for about $70.

link?

Irobot82

Sorry here you go.

VS BOGO

Search using Pro 24 for their best protein. I've personally used the chocolate mint and it's pretty good. I order another batch of banana creme and chocolate and my total came to less than $70.

Also the sale is for all things Bodytech. If you need a 32oz tub of creatine, pick up too. They also have an excellent Vit D3 1000 ui liquid, I use everyday. Maybe check out the multi's and other such as well.

Sorry here you go.

VS BOGO

Search using Pro 24 for their best protein. I've personally used the chocolate mint and it's pretty good. I order another batch of banana creme and chocolate and my total came to less than $70.

Also the sale is for all things Bodytech. If you need a 32oz tub of creatine, pick up too. They also have an excellent Vit D3 1000 ui liquid, I use everyday. Maybe check out the multi's and other such as well.

thanks, ordering now

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dead lift 530x3. Can't remember if I did more than this before or not. Either way it's a PR for the new setup. I think form looked pretty good. Video tonight.

Imm0rt4l

Meet cool gymbro, who's up and coming in physique shows.
displays strong conviction for staying natural (whereas I neither condone nor condemn it)
doesn't mind that he has to go up against guys who are on gear

Grows into his next show by more than 20 lbs (in 4 months)....still shredded

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
What would you say constitutes a 'set' of deadlifts? I feel like once I get past a certain weight my form kind of breaks down if I don't have a little rest in between reps. Any reason I can't take a 10-15 second break in between each rep and call it a set?

displays strong conviction for staying natural (whereas I neither condone nor condemn it)

dont be mad bro that he is more genetically gifted and can put on muscle so ezzzzzzzzzz

blackflag

I used to eat this stuff all the time. I tried cutting out as much bread as I could so I dropped it. I should have it more often.

Yes it's good for you, it doesn't even have flour I don't think, it's just live grains so it is far removed from regular bread or even whole grain. I also think it tastes amazing.

blackflag

Haha we have these at my gym. Dude gained 15 lbs, while dropping to 5% bf....all natural...ok lol

sphinx

the piano man
Since I can't join team "beautiful summer beach body", I will humbly join team strength, support Brolic and put some PR videos. :p

I did two sets, 5 reps at 110 lbs on my OHP, the third set failed :/ , that's one of the reasons to stay in that weight. I have realized it's the lift with the most complicated set-up, if you try to carry the weight leaning backwards, like trying to distribute the weight with help of all your torso, it's fucked, you'll never get back into posture, your lower back will feel it and it wil just suck, I think that's what messed up my 3rd set, this first set also shows a bit of leaning, not as awful but still there, I have to work on it.

Not like I have an otherwise perfect lift, if Brolic just got advice from a pro, I am sure every second of my OHP could be destroyed, but I gotta start somewhere, ROM appears to be solid for the most part, just under my chin but I am not doing it with confidence, will try to improve form.

OHP 1X5 110 lbs

as for the Squat, I've been having less squat sessions (I've been using my leg energy on crazy cardio stuff under the sun un sundays, no regrets) so I've been taking time with the increments. Today it was 107.5 kgs (237 lbs) for the first time and I managed to do 5 reps on each set on this first attempt with the weight. Weight felt good on my traps, but I will definitely stay there. The first 2 reps in this video are just shy of parallel but not there, reps 3 to 5 look a bit more convincing but also with some room for improvement. I am just glad the problem I had with going up with the heel is almost gone, the foot still moves but nothing like that one gif I once did, that was awful lol

Squat 1x5 237lbs

I have to say, combining heavy (for me) Squats with all-cardio days is doing wonders for my knees, it's like they get some conditioning from the cardio. I remember complaning a lot about my left knee, that's gone, somehow. Hopefully it stays that way.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I've found a pretty tender spot on the very edge of my hamstring... basically I'm wondering is this a knot? Gonna try to roll it out, but the foam roller never gets deep enough on my hamstrings.

SeanR1221

Not bad at all sphinx. You're definitely getting stronger! A couple quick things I noticed.

- It's hard to tell but I think your grip is too wide on OHP. Your elbows look like they're out instead of more forwards

- on squats maybe a slightly wider stance and really open the hips up and sit into it. Imagine you are spreading the floor with your feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom