• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veezy

que?
What does "IF works" even mean? Of course working out and eating food works. Isn't the whole discussion about different levels of efficiency?

We obviously don't have any controlled studies that specifically look at the efficiency of different diets paired with weight lifting when it comes to muscle building, so all we can really do is speculate. It's even more confounded when you have so many different individual variables.

Befriend a doctor who has access.

When I say "IF works" I mean, that I personally have had several clients who've had issues losing weight on a caloric deficit that, which switched to IF, they began to lose weight.

So, there's one guy who's been in the industry a decade saying that it works. I've also used 6 meals a day. It, too, works, but I've found IF to be much more successful for clients trying lose stubborn weight.

Grain of salt and all that.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Typical day for me-

Water until 5:30 or 6pm. Then one 60 gram protein shake and a Red Bull. Next consumption is around 9-10 and it consists of 100-150 grams of protein. That's it. Repeat the next day and the next. I did the small meals thing and IF has given me better results with the exact same macros. So for ME, IF is the eating pattern that works best. I may be atypical but that's my personal experience.

Here's one thing to consider tho, and correct me if I'm wrong here: digestion is not fast at all, so if you shove down a variety of foods at the time, some will supply you with nutrients in the next couple hours and others will take much more. Meaning that eating meat, and cottage, and a whey shake will dose me with protein at different intervals as they are digested.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
When I say "IF works" I mean, that I personally have had several clients who've had issues losing weight on a caloric deficit that, which switched to IF, they began to lose weight.

So, there's one guy who's been in the industry a decade saying that it works. I've also used 6 meals a day. It, too, works, but I've found IF to be much more successful for clients trying lose stubborn weight.

Grain of salt and all that.

Just curious, but when you trained your clients with IF, around what time of day did you typically set the feeding window? These were clients that had normal schedules (work in the day, sleep 6-8 hours at night), right?

SeanR1221

I'm firmly in camp 5-6 meals a day. It just works better for me and my sporadic work schedule.

I have nothing against IF. I just can't make it work with enough consistency.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I do two meals, skipping the morning meal completely. Usually break the fast between 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. and later have dinner between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. depending on work and other events.

There are definitely metabolic benefits to prolonging the fast that you had going while asleep. Some information seems to suggest they fade as time goes on, though, so the perfect length for fat loss/muscle retention is something I'm not quite sure about, and most like varies depending on the individual and their lifestyle.

Veezy

que?
Just curious, but when you trained your clients with IF, around what time of day did you typically set the feeding window? These were clients that had normal schedules (work in the day, sleep 6-8 hours at night), right?

I have been lucky enough to work with all types. Typically, I set up the window around what's best for the client. Most of them work an eight hour shift, so it would go wake up in the morning, BCAAs till lunch, big lunch, big meal right after work that they'd generally eat real quick at work.

It truly is hard for a lot of people to swing, but if you stick to it, most people find a lot of success.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have been lucky enough to work with all types. Typically, I set up the window around what's best for the client. Most of them work an eight hour shift, so it would go wake up in the morning, BCAAs till lunch, big lunch, big meal right after work that they'd generally eat real quick at work.

It truly is hard for a lot of people to swing, but if you stick to it, most people find a lot of success.

Interesting. So that would be like 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. or so? Then no food until the next day? Did you ever schedule people so their window started in the evening and went into the night time, kind of like what Cooter does?

Servbot24

Banned
Is there any issue with starting off on low rep sets and finishing on high rep? My first sets of most workouts are usually between 5-10 depending on the workout, and then finishing with light weight and going for 20+. I just feel like I'm squeezing every ounce of effort out that way before I go home

Veezy

que?
Interesting. So that would be like 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. or so? Then no food until the next day? Did you ever schedule people so their window started in the evening and went into the night time, kind of like what Cooter does?

If need be. Cooter's plan works for people that have to eat at night.

It's so personalized that I can probably say "yeah, I did that" but it just depends on what works best for you. If you can handle not eating throughout a whole work day, go for it.

velociraptor

Typical day for me-

Water until 5:30 or 6pm. Then one 60 gram protein shake and a Red Bull. Next consumption is around 9-10 and it consists of 100-150 grams of protein. That's it. Repeat the next day and the next. I did the small meals thing and IF has given me better results with the exact same macros. So for ME, IF is the eating pattern that works best. I may be atypical but that's my personal experience.
How many carbs and fat?

Cooter

If need be. Cooter's plan works for people that have to eat at night.

It's so personalized that I can probably say "yeah, I did that" but it just depends on what works best for you. If you can handle not eating throughout a whole work day, go for it.
Yes. I don't know if it matters but I like getting all my calories in after a hard heavy workout. Every single one and nothing before. I feel (without any evidence) that I am doing something right bombarding my body with a days worth of calories within 4 hours of intense exercise when I need them most.

I also am a, "eat until you are stuffed" guy and IF allows me to do this while maintaining abs. Doesn't get any better than that to me! When I was eating small meals I was always hungry. Always! I hate that feeling. If I wanted to have a huge meal at night it would throw my daily calorie intake way too high because of all the food I consumed throughout the day. With IF I also have found my water intake is way up which is always a positive.

Anyway, some of the benefits as I see them to IF.
How many carbs and fat?

Under 100gs carbs and I don't even look at fat honestly. It's not low. Probably around 40-50 grams. Maybe more. I eat a lot of PB and mayo along with all kinds of meat.

It's not saying that you won't absorb the protein after certain amount. The article I linked says that the anabolic response maxes out at a certain point and eating more protein at that time won't increase the response. The anabolic response and ingestion are two different things.

So as far as I understand, for ingestion it doesn't matter if you eat all your protein at once or spread it out. For anabolic response it's better to spread it out a bit. Though I'm not sure how critical it is. Probably not too much.

I think the most interesting part of the article was the info about how manufacturers manipulate and spike the protein content up by adding "worthless" amino acids. And how BCAA's are made from animal fur..

To be honest, the "anabolic window/response" subject kinda sounds like a load of broscience at it's best imo. Our organic systems are constantly producing energy and developing new "building blocks" - including amino-strings for muscle tissue, tissue, salivas, etc. etc. - it doesn't just shut off after a certain period. A crucial basic part of our system consists of the protein synthesis proces and constant respiration. Aminochains are constantly developed, when the ribosomes recieves mRNA transcripts to decode aminoacid triplets for DNA and cellular coding.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm no expert, and my biology theoritic might be a bit rough.

SeanR1221

Yes. I don't know if it matters but I like getting all my calories in after a hard heavy workout. Every single one and nothing before. I feel (without any evidence) that I am doing something right bombarding my body with a days worth of calories within 4 hours of intense exercise when I need them most.

I also am a, "eat until you are stuffed" guy and IF allows me to do this while maintaining abs. Doesn't get any better than that to me! When I was eating small meals I was always hungry. Always! I hate that feeling. If I wanted to have a huge meal at night it would throw my daily calorie intake way too high because of all the food I consumed throughout the day. With IF I also have found my water intake is way up which is always a positive.

Anyway, some of the benefits as I see them to IF.

Under 100gs carbs and I don't even look at fat honestly. It's not low. Probably around 40-50 grams. Maybe more. I eat a lot of PB and mayo along with all kinds of meat.

I get the impression you don't eat that much at all, period. I know you have some monster sushi meals but overall it sounds like you're not really eating a lot. Interesting how well it works for you.

Cooter

I get the impression you don't eat that much at all, period. I know you have some monster sushi meals but overall it sounds like you're not really eating a lot. Interesting how well it works for you.
I eat at least 2500 a day and every few days I'll bump it up over 3500. Then my cheat days are well over 8000. :)

SeanR1221

I eat at least 2500 a day and every few days I'll bump it up over 3500. Then my cheat days are well over 8000. :)

2500 a day with under 100g of carbs and 50g of fat? That's gotta be a shiiiit ton of protein then right? Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're saying.

Cooter

2500 a day with under 100g of carbs and 50g of fat? That's gotta be a shiiiit ton of protein then right? Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're saying.
The fat may be off but yeah, it's a lot of protein. Yesterday I was around 260gs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Could I get advice on if this is a good idea?

I came up with a workout routine theory which solely consists of free use of the elliptical machine for a total of around 2 hours every weekday.

I hate having all this stubborn belly fat and I feel it whenever I bend down or sit upright on certain chairs, and this feels really uncomfortable. When I look down at my stomach, it is not a pretty scene.

Will doing this routine gain me quick results? I'm just looking to really slim down all over my body. Occasionally I can continue to lift weights, but should I even bother if I don't consistently lift heavier weights every week?

May be a good idea to post info:

Weight: 140 pounds (more or less)
Height: Around 5'5"

I've been casually lifting weights for around 5-6 months prior, and absolutely no gains were seen.

Also, my diet is crap, and lack of motivation prevents me from changing it. I just eat too much packaged food. If I could just workout and eat whatever I want, that would be most ideal.

Veezy's post already broke it down for you, but you're not going to lose weight with exercise alone.

Here's a fun article on the topic with lots of study citations for your perusal.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/logic-does-not-apply-iv-exercise-for-weight-loss/

Protein absorption is in dispute, I'm sure you can find studies that support both sides, and both of them make logical sense. It's one of the criticisms against IF. But it works, so yeah.

Too bad I don't have access to journals, are there free sources that are not just cryptic abstracts?

Let me know what article you want and I'll see what I can do. Just shoot me a PM.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Man everyone is mirin my ass at the gym.

First day of 5x10 started with 325 on this new cycle, my knee is still wonky, I'd like to hit 375 for this.

UraMallas

I seem to recall that SS doesn't include any diet-related material as you've mentioned. What are your goals right now? Are you trying to lower your body fat (lose weight) or build muscle?

I'm trying to do both? I'm 6'0" 180-185 pounds with not much muscle. I have fat around my midsection but nowhere else. I have puny little pecs that don't seem to be gaining much mass - same with these bitch-made arms. I don't have a beer gut but it's definitely where all the fat is. So, I don't want to gain any more weight because my body already looks flabby and weak. I'm going to Vegas in two weeks so I don't want to fatty fat myself. I'd almost rather lose weight and be skinnier and give up on the nice pec/arms combo I was hoping to have by this time and try that after June when I don't have any more swim suit obligations.

I can't figure it out. I've been going to the gym for 3 and a half months and put up weight for an hour, 3-4 times a week. I've definitely been able to get got gains in weight I'm pushing but I can't seem to LOOK any better. Honestly, I'm just throwing shit at the wall with no direction. It's not for lack of motivation, I do go 3-4 times per week and I do lift.

This week I haven't even gone, though. Since I started reading this thread I've started to get overwhelmed. I feel like I'm doing everything wrong and don't know where to start. It sounds like my diet needs to change but I don't know what to do with that either. Some peeps in here are eating like 20 eggs a day and I'm just like fuck that. I also don't want to do those shitty power shakes or whatever. Dunno... I guess I'm just getting discouraged.

p.s. How much does the bench press bar and the arm curl bar weigh at the gym? I want to know how much I'm actually putting up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Easiest way for a lot of people to lose fat (not weight, forget about weight) is to just limit carbohydrate and processed food intake. Focus on getting a lot of fat and protein and you probably won't have to watch your calories as your body's satiating mechanisms will control your appetite as they should. No real need to go for shakes and such as long as you're eating good, real food.

Keep lifting while focusing on the main compound lifts for muscle building. Give it a month or so and check in on how you're doing. Make changes to the system to adapt your lifestyle and what you find works for you. In the end, it's all about what you can make work. There's no perfect scheme for everyone.

UraMallas

Like I can have hamburgers without buns? Chicken breasts? I can't eat pasta or bread any more? I don't know what good real food is, I guess. Should I limit fruits and vegetables? Is there a good book for this?

I just ate a bunch of beef jerky while typing this. I take it that's processed? I thought I could eat it because it had like no calories and a bunch of protein. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, too. Fruits and veggies. I don't make anything like chicken breast ever.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Like I can have hamburgers without buns? Chicken breasts? I can't eat pasta or bread any more? I don't know what good real food is, I guess. Should I limit fruits and vegetables? Is there a good book for this?

I just ate a bunch of beef jerky while typing this. I take it that's processed? I thought I could eat it because it had like not calories and a bunch of protein. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, too. Fruits and veggies. I don't make anything like chicken breast ever.

I find it's best to look at things less about "can and cannot" and simply more about what's best. I know not everyone is going to agree when it comes to diet, but stuff like hamburger without buns and chicken breasts are fine, while I would typically eliminate or at least dramatically reduce any form of pasta or bread, or grains of any kind.

I typically stick to a ketogenic diet, so that means very little carbohydrates, though. Lots of egg scrambles, meats and fish of all kinds, cheese, cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, lard, tallow, leafy greens, broccoli, asparagus, avocado, some onions and tomatoes here and there, almonds and other nuts, etc.

Generally avoid processed stuff, but you'll probably be OK with the beef jerky or stuff like sausage, salami, pepperoni, etc.

You can find plenty of delicious recipes online searching for low-carb recipes or stuff in the Paleo/Primal community.

I think this is the best route diet-wise, but like I said, not everyone will agree, so I'm sure some people will chime in. It's important to experiment and find what works for you. Give something a try for a month or so and see how it goes. Progress doesn't come quick, unfortunately, so taking it slowly is the best approach.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Tetanus Gym
Cuf5JPH.jpg

Goddam this must be where Pyramid Head lifts.

I don't worry about when I eat. As long as I hit my macros for the day, I'm happy. Some days are IF, some are 4 or 5 meals, some less. Just whatever I am in the mood for that day.

UraMallas

What could I bring to work that's easy, though? I take a turkey sandwich and an apple every day. I eat Cheerios in the morning or a bit of oatmeal. I take it those need to go bye bye and I need to start making eggs and sausage in the morning but I have no idea what I could eat for lunch that doesn't have carbs and is also easy to make. Cutting carbs I guess is priority one.

What's a macro? Is there a good book for this? I read the OP all the way through and didn't see it mentioned. I'll go back over the second post that has the diet info.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What could I bring to work that's easy, though? I take a turkey sandwich and an apple every day. I eat Cheerios in the morning or a bit of oatmeal. I take it those need to go bye bye and I need to start making eggs and sausage in the morning but I have no idea what I could eat for lunch that doesn't have carbs and is also easy to make. Cutting carbs I guess is priority one.

What's a macro? Is there a good book for this? I read the OP all the way through and didn't see it mentioned. I'll go back over the second post that has the diet info.

Macro is short for macro nutrients in this case. Fat, protein, and carbohydrates.

For me, I used to buy lunch at a nearby salad bar every day, but I started making it recently. Personally, I don't eat breakfast--just have a cup of coffee or two before eating lunch between 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.

What I'll do these days is make up a scramble (eggs, spinach, some kind of meat like cut up chicken or steak, or ground hamburger or sausage all fried up in butter or coconut oil) and throw it in a microwavable container. Only takes around 10 - 20 minutes to prepare and is delicious.

I can be difficult to eat out if you go low carb, but you can manage by making special requests or eliminating certain things (like the buns on a burger).

I've recommended the low carb route (at least for most of the day, and especially the first half) for many people in real life and they've all seen success, but I've seen reports from people on the net and on this forum that it didn't work for them, so again, you have to find what works for you. I'm just giving you my spiel, so don't take anything at 100% face value.

If I were to recommend one book to start you on the right path, it would probably be The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. It's not perfect, but I find it to be pretty well written and easy to read, and it has lots good information.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You want a delicious breakfast that takes no prep time? Hit up your deli. 2 lbs of cheeses and 4 lbs of hard salami, use the cheese as bread, eat it and go, brother. Delicious. I recommend spicy cheeses too.

Woo, finally broke the 300 mark on my squats (doing 3x5). I was stuck at 295 for like two weeks and finally made it over that hurdle.

I also discovered today that it's way more effective to lift weights when you're angry. Even if it's manufactured anger. Definitely better than fear, which is what I've been contending with lately.

Cooter

As suspected, my reported fat consumption was low. I looked it up today and it's usually between 80 and 90 grams.

Also measured out my PB and jam bowl. Six tablespoons of PB and 3 of jam. With the milk it's a quick 1000 calories with decent protein, high fat, and substantial carbs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As suspected, my reported fat consumption was low. I looked it up today and it's usually between 80 and 90 grams.

Also measured out my PB and jam bowl. Six tablespoons of PB and 3 of jam. With the milk it's a quick 1000 calories with decent protein, high fat, and substantial carbs.

Anything else go in the bowl besides that PB and jam?

You want a delicious breakfast that takes no prep time? Hit up your deli. 2 lbs of cheeses and 4 lbs of hard salami, use the cheese as bread, eat it and go, brother. Delicious. I recommend spicy cheeses too.

Yes! All of this. Listen to this man.

despire

To be honest, the "anabolic window/response" subject kinda sounds like a load of broscience at it's best imo. Our organic systems are constantly producing energy and developing new "building blocks" - including amino-strings for muscle tissue, tissue, salivas, etc. etc. - it doesn't just shut off after a certain period. A crucial basic part of our system consists of the protein synthesis proces and constant respiration. Aminochains are constantly developed, when the ribosomes recieves mRNA transcripts to decode aminoacid triplets for DNA and cellular coding.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm no expert, and my biology theoritic might be a bit rough.

No one is saying that systems are shutting off anywhere.

I'm just going by what Layne Norton (and Lyle McDonald if I remember correctly) have talked about. Eating protein increases muscle protein synthesis (MPS) and there is apparently a maximum rate of MPS which we get after eating certain amount of protein (depending on the leucine content of the protein source). If we eat more at that time then it's not gonna increase the MPS further at that time because it can't go any faster. You can try googling about this stuff yourselves because I don't really understand it that well.

Don't get me wrong now. I'm a proponent of IF and I don't think this stuff we are talking about is all that critical. Just trying to clarify the article. I don't think theres any question in science whether your MPS will max out after eating certain amount of protein and the effect lasts several hours. I think the question we are interested in is how much this could affect our gains. And going by Cooter and all the guys doing IF, I don't think all that much..

This pic is pretty good advice on the importance of stuff I think:

rvdReNA.png

ILoveBish

One of the most important things anyone can help someone with when it comes to all of this, is to really learn about food. Once you learn the macros, and know how to properly count calories, and get a handle on eating clean (eating unprocessed food for the most part), everything becomes a lot easier. If you dont cook your own meals yet, i highly suggest you start learning. I started with easy recipes i found online, inlcuding some from DHFitness (The Protein Chef on youtube). Once i tried a few of the online things out, i began cooking more complex meals, counting calories + macros, and of course portion controlling meals.

Once you have a good handle on what food you like and the macros you need, and some recipes you can make yourself, it really all comes together. What i also did was take it a bit further, and trained myself to not enjoy food for pleasure, food is just fuel for the gym and to survive, and this helps with cravings and food variety. I eat the same exact meal twice a day + a protein shake and that hits my macros exactly. If i crave a food, i eat a ton of it on a off day until i get sick of it. Taking the pleasure out of eating really was a big deal for me, since i loved food as a large part of life and it controlled my life so much, and thats how i became obese in the first place. What i eat is still insanely delicious and after almost 7 weeks of eating the same food, i still look forward to eating it everyday. So its not all bad at all.

Im a keto fan, and i you want to read up on it, i suggest the reddit faq found here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

I feel so bad this week, due to work seminars and long ass hours I will only hit the gym 3 days this week. :(

Don't feel bad last week i only went twice...

Due to errands and a baby shower im probably only going to get about 5 hours of sleep. Should carbs and red bull help me when i lift today???

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yes of course but we are not talking abou that. You need to keep pushing and increasing weight but if you hit a brick wall (and you eventually will), you might need to go back a bit (=deload) so you can get some speed and get over the wall. Not sure if that's a good analogy but that's how it usually works.

Sorry, I'm gonna need some clarification cause I find this deloading stuff a tad confusing.

So for example, I can now do a maximum bench press of 120 lbs. I haven't been able to surpass this for the past few workouts, but I am able to do all my sets, though it does take quite a bit of effort. So in this case, am I supposed to deload? And once I deload, how long I do I have to do it, and when do I attempt higher weights again?

despire

Sorry, I'm gonna need some clarification cause I find this deloading stuff a tad confusing.

So for example, I can now do a maximum bench press of 120 lbs. I haven't been able to surpass this for the past few workouts, but I am able to do all my sets, though it does take quite a bit of effort. So in this case, am I supposed to deload? And once I deload, how long I do I have to do it, and when do I attempt higher weights again?

Depends on the program. If you are doing SS then it's pretty simple and it's outlined clearly in the book.

Any good beginner/intermediate program should always tell you how and when to deload IMO.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Figured I've been doing bench press wrong. Decided to go further down, till the bar touches my chest. I had to go down to 205lbs in order to complete three sets. I feel like I don't need to do chest flys if I bench this way.

Finally went over a 100lbs for overhead press.

SeanR1221

Ah this makes more sense now.

And that sounds amazing. I love peanut butter.

Can you post a pic of that PB jam bowl next time you make it? I gotta see it to make sure I know what I'm making when I try this.

I'm not convinced that it is better than a 50/50 bowl of peanut butter and cottage cheese, a recipe I found in a previous version of this thread 4-5 years ago. Although the PB+CC version is meant for low carb really.

Not sure if anyone is looking for diet advice, but this has been working for me. I split breakfasts because some mornings I carb load, 2 or 3 days a week I go lower carb. Otherwise this diet is consistent for 5 days a week, on weekends I will add red meat or fish. Epic cheat day once every 2 weeks. This is all based on working out in the evening.

Wake up shake
8oz pasteurized egg whites
1 scoop dymatize natural protein
half cup frozen raspberries
2 tablespoons Now Foods Fiber 3
tablespoon almond butter

breakfast - carb load days
100 grams steel cut oatmeal
1 oz walnuts

breakfast - low carb days
4 whole extra large eggs
6 oz. turkey bacon

lunch
12 oz ground turkey 85% lean
1 cup broccoli
Ponzu Sauce seasoning

90 minutes before workout
8 oz grilled chicken breast
sweet potato

post workout
8 oz pasteurized egg whites
1 scoop dymatize natural
half cup frozen pineapple
(been using creatine with this for the past month to keep my muscles full)

evening meal
half roasted chicken with skin on
or
8 oz sirloin steak
1 cup of broccoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom