• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I just can't squats. I'm stuck at 115 pounds. I think the main problem is fear, when I need to raise from parallel I put too much effort on the lower back and that makes me fear, for my spine, for my knees and for my groin. Also, maybe even 8 reps is too much for that exercise, I'll have to try 5 reps, I think I can do 5 with proper form.

And I just can't squats. I'm stuck at 115 pounds. I think the main problem is fear, when I need to raise from parallel I put too much effort on the lower back and that makes me fear, for my spine, for my knees and for my groin. Also, maybe even 8 reps is too much for that exercise, I'll have to try 5 reps, I think I can do 5 with proper form.

there's a quote about fear

Az

I think its fear of failure too. I don't have anyone to spot me and even though I feel I can get a few more reps out, I stop.

Pakoe

What are some good exercises for that?

Variants of hanging leg raises.
Windshield wipers.
Crunches with a plate/DB above your head.
DB/Plate side bends.

Always try to hit them as hard as possible, doing a 1000 crunches isn't gonna do shit. Hit them the same as you do with all the other muscle groups.

I for the life of me cannot improve my bench numbers. Thinking about buying a bench for home too, just as an extra workout.

Work on your form instead of strength, this was also a major issue with myself. I sacrificed form for strength and hit a plateau pretty fast this way.

Szu

Feedback wanted.

I've been tossing the idea around of getting a PT license and giving training a go. I'm 34 at a stable job with no real room for advancement. I took my current position after the mortgage market crashed and it was to be a temporary thing until my wife finished her nursing school. Well she'll be done in December and I'm staring to get restless here. I work with people who don't have front teeth and many who dropped out of high school. In no way do I think I am above them but I use these examples to offer perspective. I have a bachelor's and am honestly under utilizing my skills. It is an easy job with low stress which counts for a lot to me. However, I feel that I have been under achieving for years and that feeling takes a toll on you.

I realize how difficult it will be to start from scratch being a person trainer. That being said, I know I have all the necessary skills to succeed eventually. Skills like good communication, patience, listening, and the ability to motivate are all strengths of mine. I'm a little worried about getting clients to the point of self reliance and feeling like I should cut them loose even though from a business and career aspect it would be counterproductive.

Advice (Veezy) from anyone and everyone is welcomed. What draws me to the switch is the ability to increase income while doing something I enjoy, helping people.

You have my support.

Pathos

Banned
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/
http://stronglifts.com/squatting-big-weights-essential-tips/
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-confidence-fear-of-squats/
Hope it helps

J. Bravo

First time deadlifting in probably a month. Restarted my last cycle of 5/3/1. Ended with 370 for 5, and could have done more but want to give my body and cns time to acclimate to heavy deadlifts again. Does that make sense?

Veezy

que?
Feedback wanted.

I've been tossing the idea around of getting a PT license and giving training a go. I'm 34 at a stable job with no real room for advancement. I took my current position after the mortgage market crashed and it was to be a temporary thing until my wife finished her nursing school. Well she'll be done in December and I'm staring to get restless here. I work with people who don't have front teeth and many who dropped out of high school. In no way do I think I am above them but I use these examples to offer perspective. I have a bachelor's and am honestly under utilizing my skills. It is an easy job with low stress which counts for a lot to me. However, I feel that I have been under achieving for years and that feeling takes a toll on you.

I realize how difficult it will be to start from scratch being a person trainer. That being said, I know I have all the necessary skills to succeed eventually. Skills like good communication, patience, listening, and the ability to motivate are all strengths of mine. I'm a little worried about getting clients to the point of self reliance and feeling like I should cut them loose even though from a business and career aspect it would be counterproductive.

Advice (Veezy) from anyone and everyone is welcomed. What draws me to the switch is the ability to increase income while doing something I enjoy, helping people.

Alright.

Okay.

Whew.

So, you wanna be a trainer?

Let's talk about the pros, eh?

Pros:
Changing lives!
Can be very profitable!
Get to live at the gym!
Work your own hours!
Meet people!

Cons:
-You'll have to get the courage to fire clients. People are your walking bilboards and if they aren't doing what they should be, YOU are the problem to their referrals.
-If you work for 99% of globo gyms, it will not be profitable. The hourly rate will be low, however you have the advantage of everybody in your gym at least being locked in there. You'll just be comping a lot of free sessions. Also, most will make you sign a non compete clause causing you to have to move states in order to open your own joint.
-Insurance, equipment, and studios are expensive. You have to shop around to either find a good place that you can do a 60/40 split on, or go globo.
-Remember that thing about hours? I lied. Your schedule is 600-1200 you get a break at lunch, then 1500-2100. Monday through Friday, some Saturdays.
-Most certs are a god damn joke.

So, how to do it? I highly recommend doing it as a side hustle, at first. Jumping in both feet without having a stable, corporate, income will make bills difficult. You'll have to be a salesman more than anything in this industry, and until you're good at that, you will not be making a lot of money.

There are only a few certs worth a damn: NSCA, NASM, and ACE. In that order. Everything else is crap and used as resume booster or a piece of paper for a gym to use you as a trainer.

You need to learn not only how to communicate, but how to queue. You're not going to be training athletes and most people have no body recognition. I've had to break down things as simple as a tricep kick back. Getting somebody to air squat proper can be a pain, and that's basic shit. Learning phrases like "pull with your elbows" or "have your chest push against the wall" will save your life.

Your primary client will be Ms. Jones, the overweight woman. Starting strength or GSLP, while we know it's what works, she ain't gonna want to do and that won't keep her with you for 3+ years. You're going to need to be creative with programming. Think eight week, push/pull or upper/lower splits with some high intensity work thrown in.

While you'll be educating people, you have to learn how to create work outs the client needs you to be there for. If they don't need you, they won't pay you.

Training is more than just working the client out. It's diet advice, it's texting on the weekend to remind them of the BF% check on Monday, it's calling them before an anniversary dinner to wish them luck and to tell them to keep it easy on the bread. The trainers that get paid $100 an hour are life coaches that fire their clients who aren't on board who are there at the BBQ celebrating Ms. Jones losing 30#s while talking to her friends about when they want a free session with you. And they do it 60 hours a week. They do not take time off.

Throw some specifics at me and I'll be happy to help you. Also, if you're near Oak Ridge, TN I need a trainer.

Pathos

Banned
First time deadlifting in probably a month. Restarted my last cycle of 5/3/1. Ended with 370 for 5, and could have done more but want to give my body and cns time to acclimate to heavy deadlifts again. Does that make sense?
When I DL heavy, I usually do my goal and stop there, even though it's possible to do more reps

^ That all sounds cool

I suppose the hardest part is to market yourself when you still haven't produced results on clients. Maybe you can pimp out your personal results to show you know your shit?
Or fabricate testimonies 'jk

Thanks for the links, Pathos. I'm pumped now to try those squats again. Too bad they'll have to wait till saturday.

yogloo

So I started lifting 3 days ago. I am pretty much a noob lifter and I am planning to follow all pro beginner routine.
Took my first day to figure out my 10 rep max.
Here are the numbers.
Squat 90 lbs
Bench press 80 lbs
Bent over row 55 lbs
Overhead press 45 lbs
Stiff legged deadlift 90 lbs
Curls 45 lbs
Calf raise 110 lbs (I can probably do more but my grip is giving out with heavier weight. What should I do?)
Wish me luck gaf!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand that but okay. I bought that book for my Kindle so I'll see if I can figure it out.

It really does come down to your goals, though.

If your focus is on losing body fat, then you're going to want to watch your carbs. Personally, I'd recommend only eating carbs in the evening and after having worked out. The problem with this is that you won't be able to put on muscle as fast and your energy levels may be lower in the gym. Different people have different levels of success with this.

If you're looking to put on weight, then go wild. Load up on carbs and protein (chicken and rice is a common staple for most weight lifters) and lift a lot. Having ready access to glucose in the blood and skeletal muscle tissue should help you with your workouts (both recovery time and energy) and help you build muscle faster, but if you don't watch it, you'll probably also put on a good deal of body fat, too.

I don't understand that but okay. I bought that book for my Kindle so I'll see if I can figure it out.

Check lyle mcdonald's Rapid Fat Loss Diet handbook for quick, simple, minimalistic meals that will make you happy when you eat them
because at 800 calories you will eat almost nothing all day

The only diet advice in SS is eating huge, isn't it? If you are comfortable with that, eat away

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I for the life of me cannot improve my bench numbers. Thinking about buying a bench for home too, just as an extra workout.

Have you tried deloading at all? If you're at 135 lbs. right now, for example, maybe drop down to 100 lbs. and put on 5 lbs. each session to work your way back up.

Tabasco

Could I get advice on if this is a good idea?

I came up with a workout routine theory which solely consists of free use of the elliptical machine for a total of around 2 hours every weekday.

I hate having all this stubborn belly fat and I feel it whenever I bend down or sit upright on certain chairs, and this feels really uncomfortable. When I look down at my stomach, it is not a pretty scene.

Will doing this routine gain me quick results? I'm just looking to really slim down all over my body. Occasionally I can continue to lift weights, but should I even bother if I don't consistently lift heavier weights every week?

May be a good idea to post info:

Weight: 140 pounds (more or less)
Height: Around 5'5"

I've been casually lifting weights for around 5-6 months prior, and absolutely no gains were seen.

Also, my diet is crap, and lack of motivation prevents me from changing it. I just eat too much packaged food. If I could just workout and eat whatever I want, that would be most ideal.

Zoe

Anyone know supplemental exercises to prevent your knee from caving in during squats? I've been doing clamshells with my physical therapist, but they don't seem to be cutting it.

The problem really just came over the weekend from running (and that's what I really care about), but my squat routine on Monday aggravated it to the point that I've been feeling the pain since then.

Detox

Any tips on stopping squats from going too low? my problem is I drop down too fast and then find it difficult to explode up. I think part of it is fear of the weight but there is some sort of problem with my form or a weakness in a muscle.

The Chef

I've been on a very high daily protein intake during April and decided this week to maintain the same level but cut out carbs to work on cutting up a bit.
I do this every year. However, this year I've been more focused on heavy protein intake and focusing on gaining size than ever before and am getting great results. I haven't had any sugar and very low carb intake for 3 days now. Not surprisingly, my energy is just gone and I'm feeling pretty crappy.
When my body doesn't have carbs to burn what comes next? Fat? Protein? I get a little nervous that I'm having a negative impact on my muscle size.
Thoughts?

agrajag

Banned
Any tips on stopping squats from going too low? my problem is I drop down too fast and then find it difficult to explode up. I think part of it is fear of the weight but there is some sort of problem with my form or a weakness in a muscle.

I'm the opposite. When I drop down quick, I'm able to utilize the stretch reflex more and explode up. But the more the weight on the bar, the slower and more cautiously I drop down. Too scared of dropping down quick with a lot of weight.

Pete Rock

Yes. It is not.

Will doing this routine gain me quick results? I'm just looking to really slim down all over my body. Occasionally I can continue to lift weights, but should I even bother if I don't consistently lift heavier weights every week?
I know you mentioned your gym is busy, but you can't get "quick results" from anything, and real results are only attainable through strict programming and discipline.

I've been casually lifting weights for around 5-6 months prior, and absolutely no gains were seen.
You don't have to be professional to see results, you just have to be dedicated.

Also, my diet is crap, and lack of motivation prevents me from changing it. I just eat too much packaged food. If I could just workout and eat whatever I want, that would be most ideal.
You are willing to waste 2 hours of your life in an elliptical machine every day, but not change your diet? Think about this for a second. That's 730 hours on an elliptical every year. Do you want to ride an elliptical for 730 hours while still stuffing your face with burgers and fries so you can break even or maybe die a little less inside each time you take your shirt off in public?

Assuming you are in a power rack, set the rails at a point where you strike them when you're way past parallel or as you describe it "too low". However mindfulness is really what you need to develop here as it sounds as though you are looking for something like a "stop" that you hit on each rep, which would totally sham up the whole operation in a hurry.

Go_Ly_Dow

Interesting

7. Twenty Grams of High-Quality Protein Is Usually Enough

Selling more protein makes the manufacturer more money, and having a huge protein-grams-per-serving count on the label helps them win fans in the bodybuilding community. But nearly every study that looks at a decent protein source, like egg or whey, usually concludes that the additional stimulation of myotropic (muscle building) or recovery factors isn't greatly enhanced after twenty grams.

Generally stick to 20-25 of protein per meal/shake too.

3-4 meals. 1-2 shakes. Protein macros easily achieved.

Tabasco

Yes. It is not.

I know you mentioned your gym is busy, but you can't get "quick results" from anything, and real results are only attainable through strict programming and discipline.

You don't have to be professional to see results, you just have to be dedicated.

You are willing to waste 2 hours of your life in an elliptical machine every day, but not change your diet? Think about this for a second. That's 730 hours on an elliptical every year. Do you want to ride an elliptical for 730 hours while still stuffing your face with burgers and fries so you can break even or maybe die a little less inside each time you take your shirt off in public?
I'm not sure what the latter option entails but I'm assuming all I need to do is eat healthy and I'll still see results that way?

If that's the case, then working out just helps the whole process by building muscle as well, right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know supplemental exercises to prevent your knee from caving in during squats? I've been doing clamshells with my physical therapist, but they don't seem to be cutting it.

The problem really just came over the weekend from running (and that's what I really care about), but my squat routine on Monday aggravated it to the point that I've been feeling the pain since then.

Wish I had some advice, that's some rotten luck.

Fit-GAF Ghost is still laying its spooky hands on the topic. Not safe until OT7.

Zoe

An addiction causes undesirable behavior? SHOCKER.

I know exactly how he feels. The willpower to work out is not coming from the same place as the willpower to eat correctly.

Detox

I'm the opposite. When I drop down quick, I'm able to utilize the stretch reflex more and explode up. But the more the weight on the bar, the slower and more cautiously I drop down. Too scared of dropping down quick with a lot of weight.
I used do this and still do when the weight is heavy and I can't control it as well, it means that I fail about 2 or 3 reps in on the second set as I can't muster that kind of energy for 5 reps. I need to be cautious and nail that slow pace during warm ups.

Assuming you are in a power rack, set the rails at a point where you strike them when you're way past parallel or as you describe it "too low". However mindfulness is really what you need to develop here as it sounds as though you are looking for something like a "stop" that you hit on each rep, which would totally sham up the whole operation in a hurry.
Defnitely feel like this is the case, when I started I was going above parallel once I realised this I tried to find a lower point and drilled in my head that I should get down where my hamstrings stretch enough to bounce up, at this point I honestly can't even do a half squat I'm so used to that bottom position where my hamstrings almost hit my calves. Unfortunately I don't have access to a power rack. I'm guessing I need to constantly think of going up while going down. I'll drop the weight and start again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Post a form check video if you don't mind.

Depending on how long your legs are, it may be better to adopt a bit wider of a stance (wider than shoulder width, even). This should help you keep your back from rounding. Just really focus on form and keeping your ass out and chest up. "Imagine your sitting down on a toilet that's slightly far away" was the best advice that helped my squat form. I'm still not perfect by any means, but I'm definitely becoming comfortable with the exercise.

I've been on a very high daily protein intake during April and decided this week to maintain the same level but cut out carbs to work on cutting up a bit.
I do this every year. However, this year I've been more focused on heavy protein intake and focusing on gaining size than ever before and am getting great results. I haven't had any sugar and very low carb intake for 3 days now. Not surprisingly, my energy is just gone and I'm feeling pretty crappy.
When my body doesn't have carbs to burn what comes next? Fat? Protein? I get a little nervous that I'm having a negative impact on my muscle size.
Thoughts?

If you are eating enough protein (which isn't hard), you will almost certainly not *lose* any muscle mass. Removing carbs (more importantly the insulin spikes that come with their consumption) will most definitely slow your gains, though. You can still put on muscle with zero carbs, but it appears to be a slower process and you most likely won't ever get *huge* huge.

When glucose is not available, the body turns to releasing fatty acids and turning them into ketones for energy. This makes it very easy to shed body fat.

There is still a lot of research going on in this area, though. Some studies seem to indicate that the skeletal muscle tissue will actually stop using ketones for energy after prolonged periods of very low (or zero) carb intake. If this is true for everyone, then one would imagine it would be detrimental when it comes to weight training. This is why a lot of people recommend a "carb refeed" over one night or a couple of nights to kind of reset everything. This type of carb cycling approach seems to work quite well for a lot of people.

One thing that you need to make sure you do on a low carb diet is to get enough fat. Too much protein and too little fat will make you feel miserable and completely defeat the point of a low carb diet, since a lot of the massive excess of protein will be converted into glucose, which will trigger an insulin response and keep the body using glucose as its primary energy source, preventing it from readily releasing fatty acids for ketone production.

OG Kush

Interesting

Generally stick to 20-25 of protein per meal/shake too.

3-4 meals. 1-2 shakes. Protein macros easily achieved.

Can't find the link to it now, by Tim Ferris (Author of 4 hour body), yes I know, but he linked to a study that showed the belief that the body can't absorb over a certain amiunt of protein in one go is BS.
Actually, found it:
http://www.sharecare.com/health/protein-diet-nutrient/how-much-protein-eat-meal no sources though, if you want I can check in my own copy of the book and find them

I use to be a personal trainer at Equinox and NYSC about 7 years ago as one of my first jobs out of collage. Worst job/career choice ever. The best thing about it is that I learned tons. The pay/hour ratio sucks. The gym made all the money off of me. A session with me would cost about $75-80 and I would see about $20-22 of that. Its also a pain in the ass to get a good consistent client base going, and when you do be prepared to sacrifice lots of your time going back and forth to the gym and working on weekends. No paid vacations, hours and hours on your feet and trying to engage in conversations with clients. Yeah wasn't for me.

I did it for 8 months than moved on to never look back. I thought I would love it but it was the worst....and doing the evaluations was such a pain in the ass.

If you want to make good money personal training than do it on the side, solo and charge $50-70 a sesh. Dont do it through a gym because it will be miserable. The people that make money PT at gyms literally have to work 12 hour days at least 5 days a week.

I use to be a personal trainer at Equinox and NYSC about 7 years ago as one of my first jobs out of collage. Worst job/career choice ever. The best thing about it is that I learned tons. The pay/hour ratio sucks. The gym made all the money off of me. A session with me would cost about $75-80 and I would see about $20-22 of that. Its also a pain in the ass to get a good consistent client base going, and when you do be prepared to sacrifice lots of your time going back and forth to the gym and working on weekends. No paid vacations, hours and hours on your feet and trying to engage in conversations with clients. Yeah wasn't for me.

I did it for 8 months than moved on to never look back. I thought I would love it but it was the worst....and doing the evaluations was such a pain in the ass.

If you want to make good money personal training than do it on the side, solo and charge $50-70 a sesh. Dont do it through a gym because it will be miserable. The people that make money PT at gyms literally have to work 12 hour days at least 5 days a week.

I totally see where you're coming from, I'm a music teacher, and I used to work at schools that would charge 60 bucks a class and I would see 15 of that.

From your perspective, where you would you advertise solo personal training, or for someone who wanted to find a strength/weight training coach?

Go_Ly_Dow

Can't find the link to it now, by Tim Ferris (Author of 4 hour body), yes I know, but he linked to a study that showed the belief that the body can't absorb over a certain amiunt of protein in one go is BS.
Actually, found it:
http://www.sharecare.com/health/protein-diet-nutrient/how-much-protein-eat-meal no sources though, if you want I can check in my own copy of the book and find them

cheers.

splitting it up over the course of the day and limiting the amount i have portion tends to work for me.

prefer variation in my meals as opposed to a lot of one thing. means I'm not paying more just to shit out things I don't really want to eat or enjoy in large quantities.

Veezy

que?

I'm going to say something that sounds smart ass, but you'll get where I'm coming from.

That's the fucking industry. What you're saying is true. Let's break down your average gym costs, shall we?

1. Mortgage.
2. Utilities.
3. Payroll.
4. Equipment.
5. Maintenance.
6. Insurance.
7. Advertising/Marketing.
8. Office supplies.
9. Cleaning supplies.
10. Bathroom toiletries.
11. Additional departmental miscellaneous shit.

So, we've got a lot of money up there! How do we become profitable? Well, incoming money must be higher than outgoing expenses. How do we do that? We charge for things. What is typically charged for? Memberships and personal training.

So, here's the rub.

Memberships, generally, cover 100% of the above. All the free classes, all the front desk staff, etc.

What most gyms do is set up to be self generating. The whole way thorough. However, since they know that PT is (after payroll) straight profit, they will price as low as the possibly can.

Look, I've worked retail. I've worked call centers. I've worked GOD DAMN COLLECTIONS. I've NEVER seen an industry that's based more on low pay, high turnover, shit benefits than the gym industry. Never. As a trainer, you probably got paid more than 90% of the staff.

And you're right. My salary, which will never go up, is 1600 a month. For a minimum of 10 hours worked for each working day (Monday through Friday) required to be worked. IF I'm not on target for my sales goal by the 15th, I have to work an additional 5 hours for the remaining two Saturdays of the month. No consideration for the actual member interaction or training of my staff or hiring of my staff or management of the department taken into consideration. And, since I live so far away, I take lunch at work. So, it's 12 hour days. Every day.

Globo gyms are the worst way to get into the industry and MOST will not allow you to train in them, lest they are getting a cut. It really is a fucking joke.

I totally see where you're coming from, I'm a music teacher, and I used to work at schools that would charge 60 bucks a class and I would see 15 of that.

From your perspective, where you would you advertise solo personal training, or for someone who wanted to find a strength/weight training coach?

Honestly, you hustle like a fiend.

Print out "complimentary session" coupons, find somebody, get their number, and give them free sessions wherever you train at. Use Craigslist. Get your friends/family to give you referrals. You'll be training A LOT of people, for free, to build your book.

Even then, you're still working crazy hours with having to keep in constant contact with your members, write their programming, managing your own payroll. It's A lot of work.

Oh, and vacations simply DON'T happen. I mean, they can, but you have to get approval from all your clients during that time. And, you don't eat if you don't train, so when they go on vacation or fall off, it's a real tough time paying bills.

tombur

I want to bulk, but it's summer... I'm 82kg, probably around 13% bf (quite lean but no abs). 5RM numbers are:
100kg squat
130kg dead
80kg bench
50kg press
50kg clean (still learning!)
15kg pullups
20kg chins...

I feel like bulk is the right answer, but dat summer fat gain :-( spent far too long in dieting no man's land where neither gains or fat loss occurs at any noticeable rate so need to make a decision and stick to it. Any summer (novice) bulkers here??

Veezy

que?
Veezy, why subject yourself to that? There has to be a better job out there for you.

I'm looking. However, I haven't really got somebody professional to help with my resume and, despite being sickly qualified for an upper level management job, I'm having to fight for entry level. I'm not going to settle working for a small company, so it's just rough. What I'd really love to do is go back to school full time, but it's not free and I'm 29 so moving in with the family isn't exactly too in the cards.

I got back into the industry. because I really believed that with the massive gym they opened they'd have to change out they did business. Seriously, the owner invested into a 20mil gym and is still running it like all the other gyms do.

Bar none, it's the best gym in the Southeast and one of the top 5 in the states. You'd think the managers were pulling six figures, but it's not even half of that. They've cut payroll to the point it's being run on a skeleton crew. The owner is doing really well, but he's more concerned with personal gain then running the facility in the way it should be run because "they're already in contract, so fuck 'em."

Hopefully I'll get somewhere new soon, but for now, I'm just doing what I can.

Shadybiz

You're almost certainly going to be better off running sprints in a HIIT routine than staying on an elliptical for 14 hours a week. It seems like you're a reasonable weight for that, so unless you have chronic knee/ankle problems, you should give it a try. The fat will come off much faster with just a half hour routine a few times per week.

And do look at your diet. No one says you have to give up everything all at once, but make some sensible changes. Ditch soda if you still drink it. Do you get the occasional Egg McMuffin for breakfast? Eat a few hardboiled eggs instead. They'll fill you up, you'll save money, and you won't be falling asleep after breakfast. Just simple changes.

Arrghh...late meeting today..so leg day is ruined, and late meeting tomorrow, so there go my plans to go boxing after work. I'm wasting away over here!! :)

I came up with a workout routine theory which solely consists of free use of the elliptical machine for a total of around 2 hours every weekday.

I hate having all this stubborn belly fat and I feel it whenever I bend down or sit upright on certain chairs, and this feels really uncomfortable. When I look down at my stomach, it is not a pretty scene.

A few suggestions:

1. Your theory is incorrect. Using the elliptical machine is a waste of valueble energy. Further more, using the elliptical machine every single weekday is more damaging that good. The outcome you're searching for (fat loss) will likely be impended because its counter-productive to your goal. If you are to believe some field studies on the subject. Your body will essentially initiate a mechanism, which instead of burning fat, begins to storage it. The fat depots will be used to conserve "energy" for functional purposes. Don't get me wrong. You'll probably lose "some" minimal amounts of fat, but by far anything that's worth mentioning. Most of it will probably be water weight, which will also probably lend you a faux placebo effect. Workout machines - if used at all - should primarily be treated as accessories.

2. Crap diet? No wonder that you're seeing no gainz. Your lack of motivation seems to be the core of the problem. Tell you what... you may enjoy what you're eating currently, but the overall quality of your life will improve if you start eating healthier. You've probably gotten used to the dopamine release in your neurological system. This seems to be a tendency when you're eating, calorie dense, fast produced meals, instead of complex carbs, healthy fats and protein. I'd strongly recomend/urge you to switch your current diet into something healthier. You'll most likely also feel much better about yourself eventually.

3. 140 lbs, 5,5''? That's kind of underweight imo m8. Start the beginner SS programme, and attach a caloric surplus to your diet. If you want to see results, stay dedicated and disciplined. If you lifted "casually" over a half year, you should not be surprised that your effort was reflected in your results.

4. Read the OP. The 95% of the answers you're looking for are actually accumulated right there.

Veezy

que?

Imma give you a real talk, and it's the same talk I give people that sit in front of me for consults.

Look, Tabasco, I get it. You've got outside responsibilities. You've got work. You've got life. The goal is to spend the minimal amount of time in the gym as possible because it interferes with all your other stuff.

Here's the facts though:

1. I can't make you do the right things. If now isn't the time that you actually want to dedicate some of that time you invest in everything else to actually do something for yourself, then now isn't the time. I've not your boss.
2. I can tell you how to get where you want to. But you're going to have to be uncomfortable with some of the things I tell you. Because you've allowed yourself to get into this shape, you've adapted to it, and you're going to have to rethink everything you've been doing.
3. There is no quick or easy fix. It's gonna take time. You don't live in the biggest loser household.

That being said, running is not going to get you where you want to go. I could type you up an essay on how fast twitch, slow twitch, and satellite cells work. I could break down metabolism and it's factor in weight loss. But, I'm not going to. I AM going to tell you that if all it took was to run a lot, the best looking people in the world would be Ironmen, and they're not.

You're gonna have to lift. That's gonna have to be the foun-damn-dation of what you do. If it's running, you will fail.

Specifically, Tabasco, based on what you've told me, you need to be doing base line barbell work and start eating like a pro, and not like a lazy person. That's it. It'll be hard, but it'll get you there. Eventually, but it's still a lot of work. If you really care, I can point you to the resources on how to do it (the OP). If you just want me to get you all hyped up that you, alone, somehow found the dirty fitness secret that nobody else knows, you've come to the wrong place.

Seriously, stop eating crap and lift more. We could spend all day going into how many Macros you need and all that crap, but if you just start eating better quality food and lift, you'll see a hell of a lot of improvements over time and can do more detail oriented stuff later.

SeanR1221

Imma give you a real talk, and it's the same talk I give people that sit in front of me for consults.

Look, Tabasco, I get it. You've got outside responsibilities. You've got work. You've got life. The goal is to spend the minimal amount of time in the gym as possible because it interferes with all your other stuff.

Here's the facts though:

1. I can't make you do the right things. If now isn't the time that you actually want to dedicate some of that time you invest in everything else to actually do something for yourself, then now isn't the time. I've not your boss.
2. I can tell you how to get where you want to. But you're going to have to be uncomfortable with some of the things I tell you. Because you've allowed yourself to get into this shape, you've adapted to it, and you're going to have to rethink everything you've been doing.
3. There is no quick or easy fix. It's gonna take time. You don't live in the biggest loser household.

That being said, running is not going to get you where you want to go. I could type you up an essay on how fast twitch, slow twitch, and satellite cells work. I could break down metabolism and it's factor in weight loss. But, I'm not going to. I AM going to tell you that if all it took was to run a lot, the best looking people in the world would be Ironmen, and they're not.

You're gonna have to lift. That's gonna have to be the foun-damn-dation of what you do. If it's running, you will fail.

Specifically, Tabasco, based on what you've told me, you need to be doing base line barbell work and start eating like a pro, and not like a lazy person. That's it. It'll be hard, but it'll get you there. Eventually, but it's still a lot of work. If you really care, I can point you to the resources on how to do it (the OP). If you just want me to get you all hyped up that you, alone, somehow found the dirty fitness secret that nobody else knows, you've come to the wrong place.

Seriously, stop eating crap and lift more. We could spend all day going into how many Macros you need and all that crap, but if you just start eating better quality food and lift, you'll see a hell of a lot of improvements over time and can do more detail oriented stuff later.

This post man. This post right here.

harSon

Banned
Over the last week I purchased a barbell, curl bar, 310 pounds in weights, adjustable bench and a dedicated squat rack for my home gym. Got it all off Craigslist for ~$440, which was around my price range since $383 is what I pay yearly for the gym.

Canceled my gym membership today.

Anyone else got a home gym going?

Was pretty much a necessity for me since I'm working full time and going to school damn near fulltime. I'm basically at work from 8 to 5, and at school from 6 to 10 Monday through Friday, so the only times I can go are early morning (5am) or late night (10:45-11:00) and I just don't have the energy to drive out to the gym after all that.

hey guys,

I was using the shakes by weider (plus 80) or all stars (hy-pro 85) for quite some time now and i think they are fine, but they also add vitamins and I don't them, because I don't need them additionally.

After some research, I found that the company Frey don't use supplementary Vitamins and there biological values seems to be high as well.

Any experiences or other suggestions?

Hey Fitgaf, I made a little timeline I thought I'd share with you. 11 months of progression.

RLuNgaA.jpg

I'll admit the current weight is a guesstimate (I haven't had the opportunity to weigh myself). Still haven't located a proper place to weigh myself nor purchased a weight scale yet. Also, I don't know why the last photo came out so scretched - it doesn't look like that on my phone. All photos are unflexed.

Overall lifts haven't changed much. Still basically the same all way through:

BP: 3x5 72,5 kg - 1RM 87,5 kg
DL: 1x5 132,5 - 1RM 140 kg
OHP: 3x5 50 - 1RM 57,5 kg
Squat: 5x5 102,5 kg - 1x5 120 kg
Cleans: re-set due to bad form - 30 kg

Any input? Would it be realistic to begin a bulk phase next month, or should I keep cutting? Looking for feedback regarding future progress, if any. Thanks in advance.

The Chef

If you are eating enough protein (which isn't hard), you will almost certainly not *lose* any muscle mass. Removing carbs (more importantly the insulin spikes that come with their consumption) will most definitely slow your gains, though. You can still put on muscle with zero carbs, but it appears to be a slower process and you most likely won't ever get *huge* huge.

When glucose is not available, the body turns to releasing fatty acids and turning them into ketones for energy. This makes it very easy to shed body fat.

There is still a lot of research going on in this area, though. Some studies seem to indicate that the skeletal muscle tissue will actually stop using ketones for energy after prolonged periods of very low (or zero) carb intake. If this is true for everyone, then one would imagine it would be detrimental when it comes to weight training. This is why a lot of people recommend a "carb refeed" over one night or a couple of nights to kind of reset everything. This type of carb cycling approach seems to work quite well for a lot of people.

One thing that you need to make sure you do on a low carb diet is to get enough fat. Too much protein and too little fat will make you feel miserable and completely defeat the point of a low carb diet, since a lot of the massive excess of protein will be converted into glucose, which will trigger an insulin response and keep the body using glucose as its primary energy source, preventing it from readily releasing fatty acids for ketone production.

This is great. Thanks for the info!

Xyber

So, my first week of going to the gym for the first time in my life has now passed. 4 workouts so far and I have mostly experimented with how all the different machines work while at the same time almost following the beginner program in the OP.

When I finished school ~4 years ago I pretty much stopped doing any exercises and have just been a lazy fuck that ate way too much junk food. Although most probably couldn't tell since I'm very skinny (124 lbs) and just don't gain weight from sitting here at my desk playing games. :p

So figured it was time to try and do something about that body I hate.

I didn't think it would happen that fast, but I already really enjoy going to the gym. So that's good.

Need to keep working on deadlifts and benchpresses because I can do them better, that much I know. But the rest of the stuff have been going pretty good. I hope I will start seeing results sooner rather than later because that would really be motivating as fuck for me. I would really like to have a more normal looking body for a vacation this Christmas.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Fitgaf, I made a little timeline I thought I'd share with you. 11 months of progression.

I'll admit the current weight is a guesstimate (I haven't had the opportunity to weigh myself). Still haven't located a proper place to weigh myself nor purchased a weight scale yet. Also, I don't know why the last photo came out so scretched - it doesn't look like that on my phone. All photos are unflexed.

Overall lifts haven't changed much. Still basically the same all way through:

BP: 3x5 72,5 kg - 1RM 87,5 kg
DL: 1x5 132,5 - 1RM 140 kg
OHP: 3x5 50 - 1RM 57,5 kg
Squat: 5x5 102,5 kg - 1x5 120 kg
Cleans: re-set due to bad form - 30 kg

Any input? Would it be realistic to begin a bulk phase next month, or should I keep cutting? Looking for feedback regarding future progress, if any. Thanks in advance.

Looking better! I can see a lot of the weight is off of your face and gut - you've got the unfortunate "luck" of having the stomach appear to be the last thing to go. You're almost there brother! Really good change from the first, especially - definitely been great. Still got work to do but the hardest is OVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom