• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
How did that injury happen? What weight was it at?

I was stupid cause I shouldn't have gone to the gym, I was very tired and was yawning the whole time, but tried that 110 lbs I've been working on for several weeks and on the 2nd rep, the 2nd set it felt bad but not that terrible... I waited a couple of minutes... wanted to try a 3rd set... grabbed the bar and nope, something was not right and I cancelled the whole session and went home.

the next day it was pretty bad. Today it feels a bit better.... the real test will be tomorrow after sleep, when I wake up. Right now I come from working out so it's still warm.

my right forearm sucks big time, it has been giving problems the last months.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shoulder is achy and allergies are going nuts. OHP was complete shit today no energy whatsoever. Now for a week in South Carolina. Gonna just take the whole week off. So glad I hit 405 last week on bench.

grumble

Alright, gonna put my toes in the water here.

I currently do cardio. A lot of cardio. Like, ride-my-bike-to-work-14.5-miles-one-way cardio.I also started running once or twice a week for 3 miles and I'm going to be ramping that up as I get stronger (haven't run since the military 15 years ago). I've been riding to work since February or so and yet I'm stuck at the same weight. I've reduced my portion sizes and have started eating tangerines instead of chocolate at work and I still weigh over 200lbs. Should I add something? Something that I can do at home i.e. I am too poor for a gym? I also do push-ups and situps, sticking to about the same regimen that I learned in the military (which is probably out-dated, I admit that).

Thanks in advance.

Caloric intake, what kid of food you eat, your water intake, stress levels and any medical issues? Please track your calories honestly for about two weeks. You should also consider strength training. I personally found that fat flew off when I built some muscle mass, even if the scale didn't change much.

We'll be able to help more with more info.

grumble

I went to the gym today for the second time this week after taking three weeks off for a vacation and due to some knee pain. Did squats Monday and got so sore I could barely walk all week; I was doing 300 before and this was 225. I was feeling mostly better today and went back; 235 and my quads started cramping up. That is some serious doms.

Went through it anyway; I find these times when I work through a little doms to be my biggest workouts for strength and muscle gains. It cracks right through plateaus for me, though I'm sure it's a bit unsafe.

agrajag

Banned
Shoulder is achy and allergies are going nuts. OHP was complete shit today no energy whatsoever. Now for a week in South Carolina. Gonna just take the whole week off. So glad I hit 405 last week on bench.

I feel like shit too, I have tonsilitis and my entire body is aching. Maybe my CNS needs a break.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, gonna put my toes in the water here.

I currently do cardio. A lot of cardio. Like, ride-my-bike-to-work-14.5-miles-one-way cardio.I also started running once or twice a week for 3 miles and I'm going to be ramping that up as I get stronger (haven't run since the military 15 years ago). I've been riding to work since February or so and yet I'm stuck at the same weight. I've reduced my portion sizes and have started eating tangerines instead of chocolate at work and I still weigh over 200lbs. Should I add something? Something that I can do at home i.e. I am too poor for a gym? I also do push-ups and situps, sticking to about the same regimen that I learned in the military (which is probably out-dated, I admit that).

Thanks in advance.

Your mistake is thinking that hardcore cardio and reduced portion sizes are going to help you lose fat. They won't unless you go into starvation levels, but even that will be slow and it will have extreme detrimental effects on your overall health and well being.

You need to change what you eat, and you'd probably benefit from not doing nearly as much cardio. If the bike riding is essential for your commute, then at least cut out the running.

Stop with the tangerines, too.

I posted this a few pages back, but I think it's definitely a relevant read for you.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/logic-does-not-apply-iv-exercise-for-weight-loss/

ILoveBish

FitGaf doesn't mess around! Nice work. What are you weighing these days Bish?

I weighed myself a few weeks ago, 262lbs, 5'11. I eat 2100 kcals on normal days and 2400 on gym days. So I'm lifting a decent amount of weight on a big deficit.

so, what's the deal with people deadlifting off the floor in squat racks? I get it if you're doing rack pulls, but off the floor? You can do that shit in any small corner of the gym. GTFO

I do this since it's easier to add 45s when I rack it up in the air but still low to the ground.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I weighed myself a few weeks ago, 262lbs, 5'11. I eat 2100 kcals on normal days and 2400 on gym days. So I'm lifting a decent amount of weight on a big deficit.

I do this since it's easier to add 45s when I rack it up in the air but still low to the ground.

If it's off the ground it's not a deadlift. It's a rack pull. Even if it's only a little you're making the movement easier bringing it off the ground.

ILoveBish

If it's off the ground it's not a deadlift. It's a rack pull. Even if it's only a little you're making the movement easier bringing it off the ground.

After a set, I put it on the bottom hook, add 45s, then set it back on the ground and deadlift from there. I just hate adding 45lb plates on the ground.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After a set, I put it on the bottom hook, add 45s, then set it back on the ground and deadlift from there. I just hate adding 45lb plates on the ground.

I do the same when the gym isn't crowded. Otherwise, I'll steal a bar from one of the incline bench racks that no one uses and go deadlift in a corner.

Roll the side you're wanting to swap plates onto a 2.5lb plate. Presto. Loading ramp.

Never thought of that. That's brilliant!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Roll the side you're wanting to swap plates onto a 2.5lb plate. Presto. Loading ramp.

HTeX7mz.gif

ILoveBish

That is how I did it till a few months ago when I just rack it on a low position, put on plates and bring it back down. If it's busy and i don't have a rack, that's still what I do, but I use the rack if it's clear.

I do the same when the gym isn't crowded. Otherwise, I'll steal a bar from one of the incline bench racks that no one uses and go deadlift in a corner.

Of course, i usually go to the gym at 1am. Racks are usually open.

It is raining kittens here in socal right now. Still gym night. Going in an hour.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Oh I know that, but 45s are garbage and so are the bars at the gym. Even when doing that they bind when pulling them off.

I can just pull all my bumpers right off my oly bar like butter, not so with these shit plates and bars.

Ekdrm2d1

Sean and Szu!

Just took this drunk pic to show my family that's in town from NYC.. My uncle is gay so why not show him some muscle

How to paste the URL.....

Fuzzery

Oh I know that, but 45s are garbage and so are the bars at the gym. Even when doing that they bind when pulling them off.

I can just pull all my bumpers right off my oly bar like butter, not so with these shit plates and bars.

lol I hate it when they get stuck, but I just think of it as half a set getting the 45s on and off

ILoveBish

Got 2.5 reps on my bench today for 3's week, but all my pec accessories went up in weight real nicely. I also had guests over and cooked food all day and ended up eating less then 1800 kcals today. No excuses but still glad to be lifting what I can on a deficit.

Ever since the bench video from shogun, I thought about my bench form since and I tried various ones tonight which did not help at all. I really need to get bench form down, of the major compounds, it's my worst one. The guy who works at the gym watched me and said I'm using 100% chest and no leg at all.

I watched a few riptoe videos for bench and got even more confused. If anyone has a good video for bench form they can suggest, I'd appreciate it.

Faiz

Also, what's the deal with people deadlifting off the floor in squat racks? I get it if you're doing rack pulls, but off the floor? You can do that shit in any small corner of the gym. GTFO

I used to do this in my old gym because all the bars were stationed inside power racks, and there were signs posted prohibiting members from removing them from racks.

Obviously not the case everywhere and felt weird having to DL in the rack, but there it was.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Got 2.5 reps on my bench today for 3's week, but all my pec accessories went up in weight real nicely. I also had guests over and cooked food all day and ended up eating less then 1800 kcals today. No excuses but still glad to be lifting what I can on a deficit.

Ever since the bench video from shogun, I thought about my bench form since and I tried various ones tonight which did not help at all. I really need to get bench form down, of the major compounds, it's my worst one. The guy who works at the gym watched me and said I'm using 100% chest and no leg at all.

I watched a few riptoe videos for bench and got even more confused. If anyone has a good video for bench form they can suggest, I'd appreciate it.

Work your triceps hard too. A PL bench is very tricep involved.

You're also not gonna get it perfect he first time. It takes practice.

Look up "so you think you can bench" and "the spot athletics bench" on YouTube. Also read elitefts as much as you can. A good deal of my success has been because of that website.

UraMallas

Macro is short for macro nutrients in this case. Fat, protein, and carbohydrates.

For me, I used to buy lunch at a nearby salad bar every day, but I started making it recently. Personally, I don't eat breakfast--just have a cup of coffee or two before eating lunch between 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.

What I'll do these days is make up a scramble (eggs, spinach, some kind of meat like cut up chicken or steak, or ground hamburger or sausage all fried up in butter or coconut oil) and throw it in a microwavable container. Only takes around 10 - 20 minutes to prepare and is delicious.

I can be difficult to eat out if you go low carb, but you can manage by making special requests or eliminating certain things (like the buns on a burger).

I've recommended the low carb route (at least for most of the day, and especially the first half) for many people in real life and they've all seen success, but I've seen reports from people on the net and on this forum that it didn't work for them, so again, you have to find what works for you. I'm just giving you my spiel, so don't take anything at 100% face value.

If I were to recommend one book to start you on the right path, it would probably be The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. It's not perfect, but I find it to be pretty well written and easy to read, and it has lots good information.

I'm trying to start this low carb/high protein thing today. I ate 4 eggs this morning with some skim milk. Am I supposed to take out the yolks and why?

Also, I don't know what a good lunch is. I bought a chicken breast but kinda wanted to save it for tonight.

With the chicken breast, what can I have with it? I bought some broccoli. Is it better cooked or raw? Can I put butter on it? I would guess it has to be real butter.

Also, when should I work out? I have all day to play around with so I thought Saturday and Sunday would be a good time to experiment and put some things together.

Thanks for any tips.

P.s. How much does the bench press bar weigh? I want to know how much I'm actually putting up. I just this week was able to do 3x10 of 45s on both sides but I don't know what that is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to start this low carb/high protein thing today. I ate 4 eggs this morning with some skim milk. Am I supposed to take out the yolks and why?

Also, I don't know what a good lunch is. I bought a chicken breast but kinda wanted to save it for tonight.

With the chicken breast, what can I have with it? I bought some broccoli. Is it better cooked or raw? Can I put butter on it? I would guess it has to be real butter.

Also, when should I work out? I have all day to play around with so I thought Saturday and Sunday would be a good time to experiment and put some things together.

Thanks for any tips.

P.s. How much does the bench press bar weigh? I want to know how much I'm actually putting up. I just this week was able to do 3x10 of 45s on both sides but I don't know what that is.

Definitely keep the yolks, they are the most nutritious part. I'd drop the skim milk. If you must have milk, at least switch to whole, but the sugar (lactose) from milk is best saved for when you specifically want carbs.

Definitely have broccoli with your chicken. Use copious amounts of butter (real stuff, no margarine or other vegetable spread, please!)

Work out whenever you can is the right answer. I prefer to go in the late afternoon/early evening, but on work days I have to go in the early afternoon during lunch. Just fit it in wherever you can. It's more important that you go and do it than try to find some specific time. Just make sure you are rested and not super stressed out when you go for a work out.

A typical olympic sized weight bench bar should weigh 45 lbs. So if you have 45 plates on each side (often called 1 plate) you would be lifting 135 lbs. which is damn good if you are just starting, especially if you can do it for 10 reps.

Anyone here do stonglifts? Was doing the OP program for a little bit and got up to

225 bench
330 Deadlfit
250 Squat
145 OHP

once I started my cut though most of those numbers went down a little bit. I would like to start stronglifts using about 50% of my current numbers. Anyone have any advice or anything? The only thing I think I may add is pull ups/chin ups to it so it would look like this

Day A

5X5 Squats
5X5 Bench
5X5 Barbell Rows
3 sets Pull ups till failure

Day B

5X5 Squats
5X5 OHP
1X5 Deadlifts
3 sets Chin ups till failure

abuC

Muscle endurance is finally starting to come back, been doing a lot of high volume work now that summer is right around the corner.

UraMallas

Definitely keep the yolks, they are the most nutritious part. I'd drop the skim milk. If you must have milk, at least switch to whole, but the sugar (lactose) from milk is best saved for when you specifically want carbs.

Definitely have broccoli with your chicken. Use copious amounts of butter (real stuff, no margarine or other vegetable spread, please!)

Work out whenever you can is the right answer. I prefer to go in the late afternoon/early evening, but on work days I have to go in the early afternoon during lunch. Just fit it in wherever you can. It's more important that you go and do it than try to find some specific time. Just make sure you are rested and not super stressed out when you go for a work out.

A typical olympic sized weight bench bar should weigh 45 lbs. So if you have 45 plates on each side (often called 1 plate) you would be lifting 135 lbs. which is damn good if you are just starting, especially if you can do it for 10 reps.
This is very helpful. Thank you a lot. My arms are pretty scrawny so I don't know how I am putting up "a lot for a noob". I'm using the bench that is attached to the machine with the pulley system so I don't hurt myself if I can't put up the weight. Does that factor in at all? Does it take the bar out of the equation? It seems to feel the same weight as the free bar by itself, just attached to the contraption.

I wheel a bench in under it and I just put the weight directly up in the air like a normal bench press - it's just attached to the big square metal thing all around me. After I'm done, I put the bar as low is it can go and lay down and do pull ups from the floor.

I have no fucking clue what I'm doing ever.

ILoveBish

Work your triceps hard too. A PL bench is very tricep involved.

You're also not gonna get it perfect he first time. It takes practice.

Look up "so you think you can bench" and "the spot athletics bench" on YouTube. Also read elitefts as much as you can. A good deal of my success has been because of that website.

Great, thanks a bunch. Will be studying these.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is very helpful. Thank you a lot. My arms are pretty scrawny so I don't know how I am putting up "a lot for a noob". I'm using the bench that is attached to the machine with the pulley system so I don't hurt myself if I can't put up the weight. Does that factor in at all? Does it take the bar out of the equation? It seems to feel the same weight as the free bar by itself, just attached to the contraption.

I wheel a bench in under it and I just put the weight directly up in the air like a normal bench press - it's just attached to the big square metal thing all around me. After I'm done, I put the bar as low is it can go and lay down and do pull ups from the floor.

I have no fucking clue what I'm doing ever.

Definitely read the exercise part of the OP and I would recommend going through Starting Strength at least as a launching pad. Focus on free barbell exercises as the core of your workouts. I think the machine you described is the Smith machine, which many here consider useless, and for good reason. It does a lot of the work for you. Part of the reason why machines like that are not recommended is because they pretty much isolate which muscle you are using, but that's not how the body works. You won't be working your stabilizing muscles at all, which will make it so your machine work doesn't really translate into real world strength even if you get some muscle hypertrophy. The unnatural movements they cause by having a fixed movement path are just not a good idea if you have free weights available.

I would highly recommend you do a lot of reading up and watching videos posted throughout this thread and other places on how to do squats, deadlifts, overhead presses and bench presses at the very least. Focus on getting your form right early on so you don't have to worry about injury. Starting with just the bar, or with very light weight is a great idea to do this. When you're just beginning, you will gain strength very quickly, so it's important to get your form right with lighter weight before you progress to far.

I understand your fear on failing with the bench, but as long as you don't attach the collars on the side, you should be able to fail relatively safely even without a spotter. Just start with light weight and work your way up.

UraMallas

Thanks a lot. I bought Starting Strength and I'll try the normal bench press tonight. When I get done working out I usually eat a bunch of cottage cheese and beef jerky but it sounds like the cottage cheese is going to hurt on my no-carb diet. Does anybody have easy snacks to recommend? I saw peanut butter and cottage cheese. I love both of those things but is that going to screw with my carbs?

SeanR1221

Mannnnn what a difference a good barbell makes. Hit 320x7 on Deads and had 1-2 in the tank. And that's running on basically no food all day and being mentally drained from presenting at a conference.

I should sneak into my old school gym all the time!

UraMallas

The OP on nutrition seems to say I need to alternate days of carbs and protein. Less cabs on lifting days. But, then, I see peeps in here say they are going to carb load after they work out. I also see peeps saying they don't do carbs at all. This is just confusing the heck out of me. I wish I knew where to really start. I'm going to the store and getting some fish and walnuts because those seem to be good for you. It's frustrating because there is so many different people doing different things in here and I don't know what is truly right for me. I get that it's different for everybody but a general blueprint would be nice. I'm just shooting darts at a wall right now.

blackflag

The OP on nutrition seems to say I need to alternate days of carbs and protein. Less cabs on lifting days. But, then, I see peeps in here say they are going to carb load after they work out. I also see peeps saying they don't do carbs at all. This is just confusing the heck out of me. I wish I knew where to really start. I'm going to the store and getting some fish and walnuts because those seem to be good for you. It's frustrating because there is so many different people doing different things in here and I don't know what is truly right for me. I get that it's different for everybody but a general blueprint would be nice. I'm just shooting darts at a wall right now.

Start with this.

What are your goals? Answer that and I(we) can point you in the right direction.

blackflag

Mannnnn what a difference a good barbell makes. Hit 320x7 on Deads and had 1-2 in the tank. And that's running on basically no food all day and being mentally drained from presenting at a conference.

Barbell does make a difference for me. My work gym has Texas Power Bars and they feel amazing. Love dead lifting with those. I basically don't need chalk or mixed grip until I go over 405 with those bars.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My gym has two types of barbells, one is thinner with a much 'rougher' grip, the other is thicker and smooth as fuck. You can guess which one I use for deadlifts.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

It was probably only 35lbs. Just sayin. ;)

SeanR1221

It was probably only 35lbs. Just sayin. ;)

Ehhh I dunno about that. The school just hit university status and re-vamped all their equipment. I didn't catch the brand but it was significantly thinner than what I'm used to. Having the stage meant less effort coming down from the deadlift since I didn't have to worry about noise/hitting the ground too hard.

Veezy

que?

I love this video for a lot of reasons. The most important though...

And pay attention new bloods...

Is the fact you have guys just pulling. They look better and are stronger than whatever person your stanning on, and they did it with lifting.

Seriously, just god damn start lifting shit I mean fucking god damn.

EDIT: "Form can go out the fucking window when you're about to pull a world record."

So much truth.

UraMallas

Start with this.

What are your goals? Answer that and I(we) can point you in the right direction.

I'm kind of skinny fat. 6'0" 180 lbs. I want to gain some muscle but I also want to lose the flab around the middle. I don't want to be huge, I want to be toned and have a body that looks strong (and good) without it appearing like I'm constantly at the gym. I don't need a six pack but I would like to have less flab and more muscle. Bigger arms and pecs, more toned legs and butt. I just want to look healthy and strong. I can't seem to gain muscle even though I've been going to the gym for 3 and a half months. My maxes are going up but it doesn't appear like anything is happening.

Veezy

que?
I'm kind of skinny fat. 6'0" 180 lbs. I want to gain some muscle but I also want to lose the flab around the middle. I don't want to be huge, I want to be toned and have a body that looks strong (and good) without it appearing like I'm constantly at the gym. I don't need a six pack but I would like to have less flab and more muscle. Bigger arms and pecs, more toned legs and butt. I just want to look healthy and strong. I can't seem to gain muscle even though I've been going to the gym for 3 and a half months. My maxes are going up but it doesn't appear like anything is happening.

You're going to the gym, but what's your program? What do you do when you lift?

Ehhh I dunno about that. The school just hit university status and re-vamped all their equipment. I didn't catch the brand but it was significantly thinner than what I'm used to. Having the stage meant less effort coming down from the deadlift since I didn't have to worry about noise/hitting the ground too hard.

25lbs, confirmed!

Man, working out with a hangover is just lame. I'm not even that bad, just somewhat tired, but that was the most unenjoyable workout ever. And it took foreeeever, almost 3 hours.

Veezy

que?
25lbs, confirmed!

Man, working out with a hangover is just lame. I'm not even that bad, just somewhat tired, but that was the most unenjoyable workout ever. And it took foreeeever, almost 3 hours.

So, you're hungover. You wanna workout, but how do you kick it?

Do the following:

1. Two hours before your workout, drink a half gallon of water with a tablespoon of salt.
2. One hour before your workout, do burpiees.
3. 30 mins before workout, take a really decent preworkout or drink two cups of black coffee.

When you hit the gym, you will be in complete beast mode. 100% of the time, this has worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom