• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
So I've tried a few pre-workouts and they never work for me. I took two scoops of my buddy's GAT earlier, the only thing it did was give me the shits and made my legs feel weak/wobbly. Had to postpone my workout for later lol. I don't drink coffee and the only soda I drink is with alcohol which isn't that often...is it possible this stuff just doesn't work for me?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The OP on nutrition seems to say I need to alternate days of carbs and protein. Less cabs on lifting days. But, then, I see peeps in here say they are going to carb load after they work out. I also see peeps saying they don't do carbs at all. This is just confusing the heck out of me. I wish I knew where to really start. I'm going to the store and getting some fish and walnuts because those seem to be good for you. It's frustrating because there is so many different people doing different things in here and I don't know what is truly right for me. I get that it's different for everybody but a general blueprint would be nice. I'm just shooting darts at a wall right now.

Like I said earlier, it's like asking people for a good religion, man. So many people have different ideas of what works, and that's partially due to that fact that everyone is a bit different. If you're looking to shed body fat, I think the best way to go is to drop carbs as low as possible. Control blood sugar and insulin and you will control your body fat. I do think it's a good idea to due a carb refeed once or so a week at night, but staying as low carb as possible most of the time should be the best path to dropping body fat and staying generally healthy.

Ultimately, though, you're going to have to find what works for you. This stuff takes time. It will be a few years before you really know your body's requirements, and they will change as time goes along and you put on more muscle and drop more body fat.

Just take it easy and don't try to rush things.

So I've tried a few pre-workouts and they never work for me. I took two scoops of my buddy's GAT earlier, the only thing it did was give me the shits and made my legs feel weak/wobbly. Had to postpone my workout for later lol. I don't drink coffee and the only soda I drink is with alcohol which isn't that often...is it possible this stuff just doesn't work for me?

Yes, it doesn't "work" for me either. At least a couple of scoops feels no different to an energy drink.

rokkerkory

I think I am hitting a plateau kinda in my mindset... hard to keep pushing on right now. I need to change it up a bit or take a few days off. Might be just getting worn down from other things like work.

Go_Ly_Dow

No preworkout for me..my body is mega weak to caffeine and it gives me anxiety. Feel like shit after it the high too.

All natural lift baby!

GrapeApes

What do you guys recommend for liquid chalk? My grip fails me on deadlifts and I can't use the powdered shit at my gym. Looking on Amazon, Liquid Grip is damn near 20 bucks. Fuck that. Anything cheaper alternative that's close to it?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
What do you guys recommend for liquid chalk? My grip fails me on deadlifts and I can't use the powdered shit at my gym. Looking on Amazon, Liquid Grip is damn near 20 bucks. Fuck that. Anything cheaper alternative that's close to it?
Super glue ;)

Liquid grip isn't that expensive, it's not a one use thing. That said, it's worth asking at your gym if they'll let you use chalk as long as you keep it in a sealed container and promise to not get it everywhere, often they'll make exceptions.

Oh, and of course if it's just for deadlifts, the first thing to ask is what sort of grip you're using. At some point you're going to have to switch to mixed or hook grip, if you haven't done so already.

GrapeApes

Super glue ;)

Liquid grip isn't that expensive, it's not a one use thing. That said, it's worth asking at your gym if they'll let you use chalk as long as you keep it in a sealed container and promise to not get it everywhere, often they'll make exceptions.

Oh, and of course if it's just for deadlifts, the first thing to ask is what sort of grip you're using. At some point you're going to have to switch to mixed or hook grip, if you haven't done so already.

Mixed grip. I don't really want to pay that much for a 8oz bottle. All the similar products on Amazon seem like they for pole dancers.

UraMallas

Like I said earlier, it's like asking people for a good religion, man. So many people have different ideas of what works, and that's partially due to that fact that everyone is a bit different. If you're looking to shed body fat, I think the best way to go is to drop carbs as low as possible. Control blood sugar and insulin and you will control your body fat. I do think it's a good idea to due a carb refeed once or so a week at night, but staying as low carb as possible most of the time should be the best path to dropping body fat and staying generally healthy.

Ultimately, though, you're going to have to find what works for you. This stuff takes time. It will be a few years before you really know your body's requirements, and they will change as time goes along and you put on more muscle and drop more body fat.

Just take it easy and don't try to rush things.

That's daunting. I can understand why people give up on this type of life and just eat chips and stay skinny fat. I'm going for it, though. Thanks for the tips, guys. Gonna start reading Starting Strength next week.

You're going to the gym, but what's your program? What do you do when you lift?
I just put weight up in the air. I watch other people to see if I can find new stuff. I don't have a set anything which I know is wrong. I guess one thing I can say as a positive about my 3 and a half months is that I'm now in the habit of going and I feel stronger. I just don't see anything.

MrToughPants

Well not a very good squat session was seeing stars after each set and almost passed out on the last set. Wanted 10x3 but stopped at 6x3...might skip heavy days and stick to front squats and volume day for now. Squatting 3 days a week is brutal.

Cudder

Seriously...feels like I took a laxative my ass is not cooperating right now.
Pre workouts do the same to me. I'll take it at home before leaving, by the time I get to the gym and get changed I always have to shit, never fails. I'm pretty much done with pre workouts, even though I have 2 or 3 full containers in my cupboard.

abuC

Eat some gummy bears, that's what I do.

Xater

Shit today my left knee hurts a little when I stretch out my leg completely. Did a squatting motion and when I come up same thing. Did I do something wrong?

despire

Dat new bench press 2RM PR while cutting :)

Measly 176lbs x 2 though but proud anyhow. Bench finally getting somewhere :)

Also I've been doing calf raises like this:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Gastrocnemius/SLStandingCalfRaise.html

From now on I'm thinking about doing them more like this:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Gastrocnemius/SL45CalfPress.html

Reason for this is that the standing version leaves terrible marks on my traps and I don't like how it feels in my upper back. Feels like my spine is being crushed if I go heavy...

Cudder

If I've reached my 5RM on lifts (doing 3x5), should I lower my reps (ex. 3x4 or 3x3) to keep the weight going up, or would it be better to just deload and build back up doing 3x5 and try to surpass the weight I'm at now?

Imm0rt4l

Yeah. Pre-workouts dont do shit for me. Coffee doesn't get me wired, i took 3 scoops of the old jack3d formula and nothing.....not even the tingles ftom betaalenine. I do drink coffee though but its more to stave off my inner fatboy.

MrToughPants

Yeah. Pre-workouts dont do shit for me. Coffee doesn't get me wired, i took 3 scoops of the old jack3d formula and nothing.....not even the tingles ftom betaalenine. I do drink coffee though but its more to stave off my inner fatboy.

Ya I'm not taking pre-workout again, couldn't eat for the rest of the day, felt like shit, took 6 shits, nausea, ended up falling asleep at 5am...

Fucking 198lbs, although the ab separation is in at this weight, still sucks... :/

Szu

Well, I'm taking this week off. My body could use some rest, but there a more important reason. My wife is due any time this week, so I want to spend as much time as I can to support her. She's a bit nervous.

It doesn't help that my unborn son kicks the living hell out of her. He's already making daddy proud.

Good luck with everything Szu. My brother and his wife just had my nephew about a month ago. Everything went well, but that week leading up to the delivery plus the week after was super hectic as they adjusted to everything.

Ya I'm not taking pre-workout again, couldn't eat for the rest of the day, felt like shit, took 6 shits, nausea, ended up falling asleep at 5am...
this is my experience with pwo too. It really messes me up. I work out in the mornings and the few times I've tried them they still kept me up all night. Never again. I felt like I had a cold because I was aching and had no appetite

SeanR1221

Well, I'm taking this week off. My body could use some rest, but there a more important reason. My wife is due any time this week, so I want to spend as much time as I can to support her. She's a bit nervous.

It doesn't help that my unborn son kicks the living hell out of her. He's already making daddy proud.

Congrats!

theytookourjobz

I mentioned this before in my post about what I do to prepare for squats, but this is easily my favorite mobility exercise for squats:
CanditoTrainingHQ: Quick Tip - My Favorite Squat Mobility Exercise

It's pretty brutal when you do it for the first time (with a grip slightly wider than your OHP grip).

Yeah these are no joke lol. Tried a few today. If the bar moves a millimeter, you're fucked. Managed to hit a squirrelly 185.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7xcJ8qxIvL8

despire

Interesting... New article from Rppetoe:

http://www.t-nation.com/training/the-belt-and-the-deadlift

"Here's what you need to know...

•  A 4-inch-wide belt is too wide to permit a correct lumbar position at the start of a deadlift. And if you can't get set correctly, you can't pull correctly.

•  The lifting belt isn't a passive device that works all by itself. One of the ways the belt works is by allowing you to produce a harder muscular contraction against it than you can without it.

•  The combination of the harder isometric trunk muscle contraction made possible by the belt, and the fact that the heavier weight you're lifting provides more training stimulus than the lighter weight you'd be lifting otherwise, means that using the belt allows you to get stronger.

•  The correct use of the belt involves learning how tight it needs to be to work. Too tight, and you're stretched up too far to make an effective isometric contraction. Too loose, and there's nothing to push against.

•  Stop thinking of your squat belt as "The Belt" and start thinking of the deadlift as different movement that probably needs a different belt, a thick one but only 2-3 inches wide."

zychi

Banned
how long does powdered whey protein and powered creatine usually last? i just found a bucket each in my trunk from almost 2 years ago. i opened them once.

toss it?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Pretty cool feeling knowing the best day of your life will occur in the next few days. Congrats!

Imm0rt4l

how long does powdered whey protein and powered creatine usually last? i just found a bucket each in my trunk from almost 2 years ago. i opened them once.

toss it?

2 years for both iirc. creatine becomes worthless when it expires and breaks down into creatinine.

Didn't they nerf jacked awhile back? Anyone take c4? I've heard good things.

I've tried C4, I was pretty dubious.

didntgoblind6kemz.gif

It tastes pretty nice. It does absolutely nothing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Craze is being sued for having "extra" shit in it. I used to take it. That shit was like speed. No Bueno.

Down in SC right now. No lifting all week just gonna chill with my grandma, eat good food relax and come back and smash some new PRs I think.

So nice to just relax right now.

Pakoe

I think I am hitting a plateau kinda in my mindset... hard to keep pushing on right now. I need to change it up a bit or take a few days off. Might be just getting worn down from other things like work.

Have you ever incorporated a deload week? Can be helpful once in a while.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Craze is being sued for having "extra" shit in it. I used to take it. That shit was like speed. No Bueno.

Down in SC right now. No lifting all week just gonna chill with my grandma, eat good food relax and come back and smash some new PRs I think.

So nice to just relax right now.

Heal heal heal! Have a good time brah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom