• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Bonus good way to up your protein intake:

buy Fage unflavored yogurt, put some protein powder in it, mix. you get 20g from the yogurt itself + whatever you add to it with the powder.

That's how I do it. Great minds think alike.

To go crazy you can even add a little almond milk stir it up and freeze it for awhile. But don't freeze it solid.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In that case 5RM. Although I'm a bit uncomfortable benchpressing those weights without a spotter. All that weight above my head is scary.

@Vince: I will try that. Also sorry to hear you lost 1/3 of your fortune overnight.

iceP1DtEwZfUH.gif

That's how I do it. Great minds think alike.

To go crazy you can even add a little almond milk stir it up and freeze it for awhile. But don't freeze it solid.

Been kind of considering a 4-Fage "meal" plan, dump 2 scoops of protein into a bowl with 4 Fage cups, and then add the almond milk you mentioned and make it a little colder. Could be the Ultimate Protein Meal.

Matugi

I've recently switched to Wegmann's brand greek yogurt over Fage. Used Fage forever but Wegmann's is cheaper and I like the texture a bit better. To me Fage is a bit to "curdy" if you know what I mean.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've recently switched to Wegmann's brand greek yogurt over Fage. Used Fage forever but Wegmann's is cheaper and I like the texture a bit better. To me Fage is a bit to "curdy" if you know what I mean.

hmm. It blends good for me just by spinning a spoon. Don't think we have Wegmann's here. Fage not-on-sale is $1.50 per, $1 when on sale. (for me)

greek yogurt should contain more fat like 10% ?

however, i finally hit my first milestone. i'm finally under 100kg / 220lbs and my lower back is almost pain-free again. i think there is still 8-10kg to go to be called "thin".

spending money to change the whole wardrobe for smaller sizes feels great.

The Total - fats are good. Don't shy away from em!

It's calories I've got a problem with whilst cutting, not fats per se. More fat etc obviously = more calories. I was thinking of using it more in terms of upping my protein intake as I'm pretty much always below where I'd like to be.

Might give it a try all the same. Are people eating it with anything in particular (protein powder aside), or just as is?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's calories I've got a problem with whilst cutting, not fats per se. More fat etc obviously = more calories.

I was thinking of using it more in terms of upping my protein intake as I'm pretty much always below where I'd like to be.

It'll do you right. If you're watching calories you'll be good for the 0% then.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
jbdF2aWI4ZF2Lj.jpg

Glad to see my back taking shape.

In related news, I've done it! I officially weigh in ~170 pounds, usually slightly more. Took about 9 months to pack on 25-30 pounds of muscle and a fair amount of fat. But I'm not planning to cut anytime soon. It was hard work getting to 170, but goddammit now I have no reason to not get to 180. Would be a huge accomplishment for me.

Bulk train ain't stopping!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
jbdF2aWI4ZF2Lj.jpg

In related news, I've done it! I officially weigh in ~170 pounds, usually slightly more. Took about 9 months to pack on 25-30 pounds of muscle and a fair amount of fat. But I'm not planning to cut anytime soon. It was hard work getting to 170, but goddammit now I have no reason to not get to 180. Would be a huge accomplishment for me.

Keep going until you join me in the 190 club. You can do this!

Cooter

It sounds like Cooter is doing it, but I'm not sure.
You meant Cooper or Cudder right? Understandable mistake.

My OP would consist of a picture of Darth and a video of Brolic and maybe one sentence saying, work hard and you may one day achieve this. Good luck.

Tawpgun

Honestly your current routine (if you can call it that) won't get you anywhere. It's a waste of time most likely.

Everyone here will recommend to read the OP and start a proven/good routine with free weights. Don't just do some random shit, you need to have a specific goal for every workout.

Also don't skip legs.

Not looking to train legs too much as I already do a lot of running and bike everywhere.

To me, I wasn't looking for anything that serious just a bit more muscle mass on the arms and chest and to get rid of my gut. I felt just doing random excersizes that use those muscles will eventually get them to a decent size. I'm already seeing improvements.

I'm still curious though, whats the difference between more reps at a lower weight vs less reps at a higher weight. I never really know what to do when I get there.

_Isaac

I hit myself on the chin pretty hard while trying to learn power cleans today. Thankfully, I was still using low weights (85 lbs) since I am a still trying to get the hang of it. Either way it made a really loud sound and it was really embarrassing even though the section I was in was a bit empty so nobody probably saw. I even caught it on video and it looks hilarious and pathetic at the same time. What a difficult lift.

Chocobro

My goal is to get swole enough that my girlfriend/wife will do this to me. Or she'll be fit and we'll both do it. Then makes beautiful fit person babies.

In actual fitness stuff, what's a good routine to increase vertical leap? I've started adding bulgarian split squats and squat jumps with the barbell in, what else?
Power cleans, hang cleans, box jumps. Search for ice1cube for his how to increase your vertical jump. His vertical is pretty nuts I think.

despire

Not looking to train legs too much as I already do a lot of running and bike everywhere.

It's not the same thing. Don't make this mistake. Cardio and lifting weights produce completely different results and adaptation. Also lifting weights will help in your running/biking.

To me, I wasn't looking for anything that serious just a bit more muscle mass on the arms and chest and to get rid of my gut. I felt just doing random excersizes that use those muscles will eventually get them to a decent size. I'm already seeing improvements.

It would be good to know what "a bit more" and "decent size" means here. Do you have some kind of a goal body?

Building muscle is hard work. Otherwise you'd see muscular people everywhere. It usually takes years even with a good routine, solid eating habits and dedication.

Also beginners usually see improvements no matter what they do. But these gains end quickly unless you are on a good routine.

Also if you didn't already, read the OP posts. Many things answered there.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Really failed on my squats today, had a bird round last night and didn't sleep untill 6am, think I need some more beta-alanine too as that shit gets me puuuumped up! even when mega sleepy

After busting my ankle I've gone from 105kg down to 90kg back up to 97.5kg

OHP is at 40 but I feel like my form has really improved ^_^

Deadlift I've gone from 140kg to 100kg back up to 115kg, form was really badly compromised by my ankle which is why I really de-loaded on the weight -_-

I hate a shitty session but heyoo... Atleast it's not all doom and gloom

sphinx

the piano man
jbdF2aWI4ZF2Lj.jpg

dude, PLEASE do not tell us you don't have a shirtless selfie from the time before you gained those 25-30 pounds.

on behalf of fitgaf (I dare say) , please put a 25 lbs difference before/after pic! you were looking damn good without the extra weight, I'd really be curious to see how someone with your drive and passion looks like now.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
dude, PLEASE do not tell us you don't have a shirtless selfie from the time before you gained those 25-30 pounds.

on behalf of fitgaf (I dare say) , please put a 25 lbs difference before/after pic! you were looking damn good without the extra weight, I'd really be curious to see how someone with your drive and passion looks like now.

Here, let's see:

jlabyl8qJ0rG9.jpg
~142

jEOQjkcQPL0c0.jpg
~170

Is that what you meant?

sphinx

the piano man
Here, let's see:

jlabyl8qJ0rG9.jpg
~142

jEOQjkcQPL0c0.jpg
~170

Is that what you meant?

well, more or less, before pic is great, after pic could be in the same tone, black and white and same stance to make them comparable., also less blurry. don't get me wrong the after pic is great. I saw it last time. congrats anyway! :)

Cooter

Boogie, can I get a pic of you at a 45 degree angle with your head slightly turned and in nothing but a towel? Please and thank you.

Sadetar

ooooh, I see what you mean. I guess I can get a similar shot, sure.
I am waiting. :p

What I can tell from the photo you sent, your back looks extremely good at the moment. Splendid work darling!

Hey fitgaf, I'm new. Time for some intermittent results from a total beginner. Started following the "Alternate full body" routine from the OP a little more than 2 months ago. You might scoff at me but I decided not to do the deadlift because I really could not get the hang of it and it felt rally awkward to do. I did add dumbbell chest presses and that one shoulder exercise with dumbbells where you pretend you're a bird. I've been doing my best to go 3 times a week but it's not always possible sadly. The hardest part has been my diet as I'm not a very big eater. I got some preotein powder which is disgusting. I've been also eating curd which seems like a nice addition. So without further ado here are the comparison pics. I am slightly cheating because the after picture seems to have some lightning that is more flattering.

I have noticed some slight growth in the chest area and the quads but nothing really to write home about. Strength is also just very slowly increasing.

Chest press: 40 kg
Standing Military Press: 25 kg
Squats: 50 kg

Bars not included

I'm 1.79m and 65 kg. Is there anything I can do to improve? Or should I just keep doing this a while longer. Should I give dead lifts another try? Thanks!
Welcome sweetie.

If that is only two months, you have been doing great job! Just continue to work out and you will be a beast in no time.

greek yogurt should contain more fat like 10% ?

however, i finally hit my first milestone. i'm finally under 100kg / 220lbs and my lower back is almost pain-free again. i think there is still 8-10kg to go to be called "thin".

spending money to change the whole wardrobe for smaller sizes feels great.
Pain-free back is also something I am trying to achieve. I am so happy to hear that you have been doing so wonderfully well. Good for you!

Doesn't really even occur to me because I'm constantly pushing for more. And I'm never really conscious of it until I have a setback and need to build back up to where I was.
I still think your weights are pure insanity in the best possible way. I admit that I don't even remember my programme yet by heart but carry a little notebook in the gym with me where I have all the things and weights and whatnot meaning I am very concsious about how little I do. :p

Definitely not getting hit up by women, not sure why, but definitely not. And damn dude, thsts rotten lol.

Yeah it's obviously pretty popular if these dudes are hitting someone like me up. Feel like I'm in bizarro world.
Also That poor grapefruit.
Hahahahahahaha, this whole discussion was pure gold! I have been laughing so much. Before this I also didn't even know such a thing exists, but hey, live and learn.

Also who the hell has time to look at other people when they are working out? I go to gym, do my thing as well as I can and then I am out. I definitely don't have time to drool others in there. I knew I was doing something wrong and missing out...

Just joined a Gym. Trying to set up a program for myself.

This should be fun :).

Best of luck! Feel free to post more info (goals mainly) if you'd like any recommendations from us.

Also, damn, front squats make me sweat like a motherfucker, even at relatively low reps (3x5 not counting warmups).

Fox318

Best of luck! Feel free to post more info (goals mainly) if you'd like any recommendations from us.

Also, damn, front squats make me sweat like a motherfucker, even at relatively low reps (3x5 not counting warmups).

The gym is brand new!

My plan right now is something like this.

5 days of cardio (Spin most likely) and 5 days of lifting
1 day of rest(with the possible exception of 18 holes of Golf)
1 day of heavy stretching or yoga

Tawpgun

It's not the same thing. Don't make this mistake. Cardio and lifting weights produce completely different results and adaptation. Also lifting weights will help in your running/biking.

It would be good to know what "a bit more" and "decent size" means here. Do you have some kind of a goal body?

Building muscle is hard work. Otherwise you'd see muscular people everywhere. It usually takes years even with a good routine, solid eating habits and dedication.

Also beginners usually see improvements no matter what they do. But these gains end quickly unless you are on a good routine.

Also if you didn't already, read the OP posts. Many things answered there.

Wish I could quickly google the body type I want. Can't think of any celebrities off the top of my head. I'm not looking to get that serious about the body (yet) I want to get it to a comfortable baseline. A flatter stomach and some muscle. And then see where I wanna go from there.

Faiz

Feeling super down in the dumps. Sprained wrist is getting better but still not ready to lift. Mostly just soreness and tightness remaining but one certain position results in fierce pain - picked up a frying pan by the handle off the stove and thought my wrist was breaking off. It's only been two and a half weeks since the injury but not being able to make use of all the equipment I finally installed in the basement is heartbreaking.

Bleepey

Hey GAF, my mum's been talking crazy shit about my weight. I am not remotely fat, but I have put on a bit of weight and I am getting tits that would make Rick Ross and Pamela Anderson jealous. I am not crazy about changing my diet, however i plan to exercise more. Let's hope to see me go from 120 KG to 85 KG or so (I am 6 foot 2).

Hey GAF, my mum's been talking crazy shit about my weight. I am not remotely fat, but I have put on a bit of weight and I am getting tits that would make Rick Ross and Pamela Anderson jealous. I am not crazy about changing my diet, however i plan to exercise more. Let's hope to see me go from 120 KG to 85 KG or so (I am 6 foot 2).

You're not "remotely fat" yet you're at 265 pounds for a 6'2 guy? I'm guessing from your comment on your chest that you're far from all muscle. By all standards, you're morbidly obese. Don't do it for your mother, do it for your health. Which is also why she's worried I'm guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom