• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

11 PM. Most gyms I have ever been to closed by 10 but one campus gym of mine used to stay open until midnight.

If I were single and had a nice 24-hour gym, I'd totally be up for some middle of the night lifting sessions. There's something calming about deadlifting when you know most of the country is busy sleeping, and then you go outside and the world is quiet, still, and dark. I like 5 AM lifting for this reason.

There's an Anytime fitness where I live and it's 24 hour access. So I've worked out at Midnight before, felt really good.

lenovox1

Hey guys, what is the best way to train for muscle ups without the rings?

Hmm, I wonder if you could do it with an assisted pull up machine... With your grip forward, as if your riding a motorcycle, you'd transition from the pull-up to the dip smoothly. I'm just wondering if the little pad would go up high enough to support the transition from below the pulls to above the pulls.

Sadetar

I was an extremely good girl and went to the gym before coming to work. I will be working till 2 am so I couldn't have done it afterwards since there is none of those fancy 24 hours gyms around my area.

I need to add that is was pain in the ass at the gym since there were absolutely no air conditioning in there and it was ridiculously hot. I couldn't use the weights I normally use and I was sweating like a pig. Can anyone say is this normal if the temperature is really high or should I be worrying of losing some strenght? Everything honestly felt so much harder compared to normal.

This is what I saw.
This is the reason why I love this thread. This just proves I am not the only one having a dirty mind.

So you think you can squat? part 3

I love jon north, 0 fucks
That man must have an ass made of pure steel.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
First time today there was a hot girl squatting at my gym, now I want one like that :|
There are very few things hotter to me. Drives me wild.

Regarding muscle ups. Master a pull up. You should be able to do 25+ and get up to your chest before you're ready for a muscle up. Practice exploding up. No slow controlled movement here. This is a power exercise.

lenovox1

Can anyone say is this normal if the temperature is really high or should I be worrying of losing some strenght? Everything honestly felt so much harder compared to normal.

Yes, if your body's temperature raises to high, it will tell you. Your body will take you to exhaustion whether your muscles are there or not. And the opposite also applies: A clinical trial has shown that people who ran on a treadmill with their hands in ice water had a longer and more effective workout than people who didn't. Another clinical trial has shown that people that drank an ice slushy also had a longer and more effective workout than people who drank mere cold water. I've even seen someone wear one of those whole body ice vests at my temperature-controlled Gold's Gym.

Fucking calves. Every time I spend more than a few minutes exercising them they start to cramp up. It's driving me absolutely nuts.

Really paranoid about it happening now too as last time I ended up with a tear and sometime later (maybe related, maybe not) a DVT in the same leg.

lenovox1

Fucking calves. Every time I spend more than a few minutes exercising them they start to cramp up. It's driving me absolutely nuts.

Every time, huh, and the calf is the only muscle area of pain? Google's saying that low magnesium might be the cause, and it's something you can check with the GP.

Before reading that, I was just going to say something like: "I know carrying an ice pack and keeping it cool isn't convenient when your at the gym. Have you tried isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) as a liniment, straight up staff pose with a towel or a strap, and pointing and flexing the foot while it's raised to relieve the cramp? You've probably done all of that, so it's most likely redundant to ask."

abuC

I don't know what happened, but I absolutely hate working out my chest now.

My chest is 50", and I have to force myself into the gym to work on it now, the bad side of me just says "Fuck it, do some pushups".

Z5ctefQ.jpg

sup

My wife was made when we went to the gym a few days ago. There was this girl there with these little booty shorts that had her ass hanging out the bottom of em. The whole time I was there she worked out in front of the power rack I was in and she was doing all sorts of squats and deadlifts right in front of me. My wife was convinced she was doing them right in front of me for attention lol

lenovox1

My chest is 50", and I have to force myself into the gym to work on it now, the bad side of me just says "Fuck it, do some pushups".

You're certainly "allowed" to explore bodyweight stuff until you want jump back into free weights for your chest. TRX or gymnastic ring stuff, if your gym has it, dips, even the modest push-up (Greatist lists 82 variations in an article, and that's the tip of the iceburg. The planche, in particular, is very rewarding to work up to accomplishing) can give you a workout that's just as satisfying as any resistance workout.

abuC

You're certainly "allowed" to explore bodyweight stuff until you want jump back into free weights for your chest. TRX or gymnastic ring stuff, if your gym has it, dips, even the modest push-up (Greatist lists 82 variations in an article, and that's the tip of the iceburg. The planche, in particular, is very rewarding to work up to accomplishing) can give you a workout that's just as satisfying as any resistance workout.

Thanks for that site, I think I am going to start transitioning over to some more body weight routines now. The bench has gotten boring and tedious to me lately and I used to love it too which is weird. I think it's because I reached a goal that I had set with nothing beyond it, my motivation for bench just sort of tapered off once I hit the mark.

Sadetar

Yes, if your body's temperature raises to high, it will tell you. Your body will take you to exhaustion whether your muscles are there or not. And the opposite also applies: A clinical trial has shown that people who ran on a treadmill with their hands in ice water had a longer and more effective workout than people who didn't. Another clinical trial has shown that people that drank an ice slushy also had a longer and more effective workout than people who drank mere cold water. I've even seen someone wear one of those whole body ice vests at my temperature-controlled Gold's Gym.
Thank you so much for the info. Also I might be adding more ices to my gym water bottle from this now on.

There are very few things hotter to me. Drives me wild.

Regarding muscle ups. Master a pull up. You should be able to do 25+ and get up to your chest before you're ready for a muscle up. Practice exploding up. No slow controlled movement here. This is a power exercise.
I think I just made myself some new goals to my five year plan...

Every time, huh, and the calf is the only muscle area of pain? Google's saying that low magnesium might be the cause, and it's something you can check with the GP.

Before reading that, I was just going to say something like: "I know carrying an ice pack and keeping it cool isn't convenient when your at the gym. Have you tried isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) as a liniment, straight up staff pose with a towel or a strap, and pointing and flexing the foot while it's raised to relieve the cramp? You've probably done all of that, so it's most likely redundant to ask."

Yeah, sadly whilst stretching works to take the edge off it, once it starts it's pretty much game over for any other calf related exercises. Sad thing is that compared to most of my body, my calves are ridiculously strong (blame mountain biking I guess).

I haven't considered ice. Bit of a pain, but it could be worth a go. Also, magnesium isn't in my usual multivit, so I guess I should snack on some spinach and nuts for a while. Thanks.

Sadetar

I'm confused. A muscle up or squatting?
Both.

To be able to look hot while squatting at the gym and to be able to do a muscle up... or at least a series of pull ups.

And also damn, my working place is extra creepy at 1.40 am when I am the only one in here...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Both.

To be able to look hot while squatting at the gym and to be able to do a muscle up... or at least a series of pull ups.

And also damn, my working place is extra creepy at 1.40 am when I am the only one in here...

If you worked your way up to a muscle up I would be forever impressed.

On an unrelated note, I'm such a DL snob that it bugs me when people bounce at the bottom now.

Szu

Absolute worst workout ever today.

And it had to be leg day. I couldn't hit anything right. Sub-par OH squats, followed by terrible back squats.

I lacked the energy to do some of the workouts.

There were several factors that were a tell-tale sign of this shit. I didn't get enough food or sleep.

I just had to get this out of my system.. I plan to hit it hard tomorrow.

Pete Rock

My wife was convinced she was doing them right in front of me for attention lol
My fave is when I am on the deadlift platform setting up and there's an "adult male" who has been sitting lazily in the pec machine pushing 225 or whatever that equates to (15 pounds? lol) for the last ten fucking minutes, on and off on and off. As soon as my hamstrings are taught and my back is under tension and my ass is up in the air 10 feet directly in front of him all the sudden he has to go do something else. It makes me laugh every time without fail.

is this guy on drugs or something? If I went screaming like that in my gym everytime I broke a PR, they'd ban me. .

Would you want it any other way? Also obviously a more private environment there.

My local gym weight room has no windows, awful atmospheric controls, bare minimum of equipment and everyone who pushes any decent weight on compound lifts grunts and screams and drops weights. Not like a lunatic but certainly without reservation. THE DUNGEON. It's fucking awesome. I love hearing/feeling it when I am going down the stairs or even just up in the locker room unpacking getting ready. Hype level to the max. If you are looking for estrogen you can find it in the multipurpose room where the zumba is going down ~

Hey guys, what do you think of "fat burner" supplements like "Ripped Freak"? Especially for a 19 year old?

Are you happy with your Thermogenesis? Do you think your lack of Thermogenesis is holding back your weight loss?

... Looking at the ingredient list, it is just a hit of caffeine. That can help in certain ways but that depends on your response to it. Go grab a red bull and see if that helps you workout longer/harder because by itself, it'll do absolutely nothing.

So the guy at my GNC told me taking one scoop of the whey protein powder (one serving = 20g protein) is enough, and anything more would just go to waste. But the container says to take two scoops and that's what I've always been doing up to now. Which is the way to go: one scoop or two? He also said taking it on my "off days" would just translate to fat... is that true?

Thanks brahs.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So the guy at my GNC told me taking one scoop of the whey protein powder (one serving = 20g protein) is enough, and anything more would just go to waste. But the container says to take two scoops and that's what I've always been doing up to now. Which is the way to go: one scoop or two? He also said taking it on my "off days" would just translate to fat... is that true?

Thanks brahs.
Protein powder is just food, take as much as you need to fit your diet/macros, when you need to.

grumble

Thanks brahs.

It isn't true, or at least not that simple. The concept is that if you're taking in protein, only a certain amount can be put towards muscle synthesis and the rest gets burned off. This amount can be exceeded when you get a large amount of fast digesting protein hitting your system all at once.

This is mostly bullshit. The protein is absorbed at varying rates depending on your stomach contents and what you drink the protein with, so there isn't any set number. In theory, bigger people with larger systems could put more to use as building blocks than smaller people, so 20g is a random number.

What I would do if I were you is just drink your 40g with milk instead of water and maybe not on an empty stomach, or even better next time get a protein blend of fast and slow proteins. What I wouldn't do is think that you are limiting yourself or being overtly wasteful by taking more at once. You aren't.

This is a valid argument against hydrolysed whey protein powder though. It actually hits your system so fast it does have poor utilization rates. Plus it takes bitter and costs more. Pass.

This protein limit thing I keep hearing gets used in food too which is even more annoying. A steak isn't instantly absorbed, it takes a few hours. Combined with other food even longer. There is no real upper limit, though you don't need insane amounts to grow muscle as fast as nutritionally able.

rokkerkory

geezus my first week back in gym was murder.

10% weaker and up to 20% less reps :(

Down 5lbs... gonna up my calories to 3k a day to get back into it.

Zoe

to disprove my own theory, I'm 5'7" and I have stick calves. It's just hereditary really, my grandfather had tiny calves, and mine are almost exactly the same.

Frame size probably has a lot to do with it. I'm big boned @ 5'0" with 16" calves, just slightly below those of the 6'0" bf. Even when I was underweight my legs were trunks.

It isn't true, or at least not that simple. The concept is that if you're taking in protein, only a certain amount can be put towards muscle synthesis and the rest gets burned off. This amount can be exceeded when you get a large amount of fast digesting protein hitting your system all at once.

This is mostly bullshit. The protein is absorbed at varying rates depending on your stomach contents and what you drink the protein with, so there isn't any set number. In theory, bigger people with larger systems could put more to use as building blocks than smaller people, so 20g is a random number.

What I would do if I were you is just drink your 40g with milk instead of water and maybe not on an empty stomach, or even better next time get a protein blend of fast and slow proteins. What I wouldn't do is think that you are limiting yourself or being overtly wasteful by taking more at once. You aren't.

This is a valid argument against hydrolysed whey protein powder though. It actually hits your system so fast it does have poor utilization rates. Plus it takes bitter and costs more. Pass.

This protein limit thing I keep hearing gets used in food too which is even more annoying. A steak isn't instantly absorbed, it takes a few hours. Combined with other food even longer. There is no real upper limit, though you don't need insane amounts to grow muscle as fast as nutritionally able.
This post was really helpful. Thanks brah. You too A More Normal Bird.

Chocobro

I probably spent the most time in the gym today ever so far. I did my normal stuff in 1H 45 min then an hour later, I went with my friend for 1.5H. During the second session I was trying how to front squats and power cleans. I got the front squats down, pretty easy. My front delts aren't meaty enough though :( My quads are sore from squatting in both sessions.

Power cleans are pretty tough, but it's mostly from not studying how to do it in detail prior to trying them. I think I have a fair idea how to do them now after a few videos, need to try them again this Tuesday. If anyone has references n how to do them properly, I'm all ears.

Servbot24

Banned
You guys ever made your own protein bars? Those Quests are obviously great but they are expensive. Wouldn't care if I made some that tasted shit if it saved some money and was just as healthy. Got the idea from this fiiiiine girl I was talking to that made her own protein bars (laced with grass, lol)

Pulled a muscle in my lower back unloading the bar doing deadlifts today. Fuuuuuuuck.

Dude I hurt my lower back on Sunday doing deadlifts. I wasn't even going heavy which pisses me off. I have no idea what I did though, it's this pain on the lower right side of my back and it just hurts when doing certain movements

lenovox1

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
So full... 209.5lbs before and 213.5 after. Might keep bulking up to 220 if possible and then start cutting slowly and see if these peptides work on me.

Did a 475x1 snatch grip pause for 3 sec and then completed the pull, felt good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom