• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
Probably De Quervain's Tendonitis

Yeah, was suggested a couple of pages back. and after looking at wikipedia, everything points at it.

it basically describes me: "people who push/pull heavy objects, play video games and play the piano"... so, basically, I should not live or do things I like in order to get better.

the image REALLY pointa at where it hurts, it's 100% right there, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Quervain_syndrome

treatment doesn't really sound very encouraging, it says either surgery or injections.

the only thing that is weird is that a small bone inside my hand/wrist "moves" or clicks if I turn my thumb in a certain way and that is what causes all the pain,

Today was everything o.k, at least I was not in pain, then I tried to scratch my back during shower and HOLY SHIT, it hurt like hell as that fucking bone moved from its place and for the last couple hours the residual pain has remained there. The wikipedia article doesn't mention any bone moving....

I am scared.

I was wondering if you are doing SS, for each 3 sets can you add weight for each one or is it better to stay the same weight on all 3 sets?
Only on the first workout when you are setting your work weight.

EDIT: On your first day, say you get up to 135 lbs. before your reps start to slow down on the squat. You do two more sets of 5 at 135 lbs. and then the next workout you do 145 lbs. each set for 3 sets. The differential is different per exercise. Squats can go up 10-15, Overhead Press goes up 5. Bench Press goes up 5-10, Deadlifts go up 10-20.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
cheers for the heads up on the potassium and stuff, not really much of a progress pic but after my 2 year weightloss journey I can't help but smile seeing the difference

At 18 I was a 38 waistband and weighed around 15 stone, I did have a picture of my naked flesh but I must have deleted it somewhere along the line, kinda gutted but oh well

other pic is from the other weekend, I'm now 20, lost around half a stone whilst my ankle was fucked but it's coming back on ^_^ I was smashed in the pic btw

ScreenShot2014-05-25at185400_zps0c232283.png

Pete Rock

Finally broke my streak of clean eating with a bad night. Now I'm sitting here feeling lethargic and puffed out. We had family up which included my brother-in-law who recently got a medical marijuana card. He has this vaporizer which is mostly odorless and runs on some type of THC wax. Pretty freaking cool actually. We went to see X-Men and that meant candy. A bunch of baby ruth's, starbursts, and a large cherry coke later I was out for the count. Oh well I guess. I will call it my refuel day and move on.

Vaporizing hash oil is the greatest thing ever and vape pens are just so absolutely wonderful. I haven't smoked anything in two years now but I can continue to enjoy the positive aspects without the negative side effects. One dab before the gym, one before dinner, one before bed, life is nice!

The really funny thing is that as a previous smoker I can tell you the munchies just aren't there so fiercely when you vape instead, nor is there such a heavy crash period. All of the sudden you just aren't so blitzed anymore and the day continues as normal without requiring a fucking 4 hour nap at 2pm lol. Win.

Matugi

Vapes are cool, never had the chance to use one. I smoke once in a blue moon, maybe once every three to four months, and the last few times haven't been great because I've mixed it with alcohol, but I'd really like to try vaping and edibles some day.

Oh right this is Fitness OT lol

Only on the first workout when you are setting your work weight.

EDIT: On your first day, say you get up to 135 lbs. before your reps start to slow down on the squat. You do two more sets of 5 at 135 lbs. and then the next workout you do 145 lbs. each set for 3 sets. The differential is different per exercise. Squats can go up 10-15, Overhead Press goes up 5. Bench Press goes up 5-10, Deadlifts go up 10-20.

Yea but if you can't do the added wight the next workout then just stay at 135 right? And then try next time? How long can you stay in the same weight though?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Rippetoe's methodology of setting your initial powerlifting work weight as an untrained person is flawed in a self-teaching context, I think. People have no idea that their form is degrading when they're just starting out and typically go way too heavy and then stall out or get injured by the progressive structure way before they would had they started lighter.

One thing I approve of with the Stronglifts methodology is erring on the side of caution and just using empty bar (and 135 on deadlift) and progressing from there. The first couple weeks end up being form work and adapting to the basic biomechanics and it's not up to the questionable discretion of the beginner to determine their starting weights.

Pathos

Banned
Yup, Stronglifts is what I currently do and I think it's great. I got much stronger in such a small time period compared to the shit I was doing earlier for a while.

On a side note, they had to evacuate everyone at my gym today because the power went out. I just about to start my last lift too. So steamed.

So I've been having some chronic inflammation throughout my entire body, and haven't been able to work out for six months while the docs can't figure out what's wrong with me. Kinda sucks, all those gains and whatnot, but I'm kinda looking forward to hopefully starting again as soon as I get the okay.

In the meantime, some cardio.

One thing I approve of with the Stronglifts methodology is erring on the side of caution and just using empty bar (and 135 on deadlift) and progressing from there. The first couple weeks end up being form work and adapting to the basic biomechanics and it's not up to the questionable discretion of the beginner to determine their starting weights.

So stronglifts is good for an absolute beginner? Good to know. Now I just need to find a time when the gym here has as few people as possible. Or go with a friend.

So I've been having some chronic inflammation throughout my entire body, and haven't been able to work out for six months while the docs can't figure out what's wrong with me. Kinda sucks, all those gains and whatnot, but I'm kinda looking forward to hopefully starting again as soon as I get the okay.

That's shit man. I really hope they get it. I was ill for about two years and they didn't have a goddamn clue what was wrong with me. In pain constantly and I feel like I aged about 10 years in that time.

...and then one day, gone. Stupid body.

sphinx

the piano man

sorry to hear that. best wishes and hopefully they find out what's the problem.

regarding my problem, I just consulted a friend of mine who is a certified physiotherapist and says D.Q. Syndrome goes away by itself over time as long as the wrist isn't stressed...

It's been a very depressive day today, I still have to come to terms with not doing the things I love for weeks. makes me feel terrible. I knew my body was not made for this, I couldn't even make it past 2 years without having to withdraw due to injury.

I absolutely don't mean to say I am glad you had to take a 6 month break from workout due to an unknown condition but it gave me some relief to read that I am not alone,

thanks for posting it squiddy. you are in my thoughts, hopefully good vibes come your way.

That's shit man. I really hope they get it. I was ill for about two years and they didn't have a goddamn clue what was wrong with me. In pain constantly and I feel like I aged about 10 years in that time.

...and then one day, gone. Stupid body.

regarding my problem, I just consulted a friend of mine who is a certified physiotherapist and says D.Q. Syndrome goes away by itself over time as long as the wrist isn't stressed...

It's been a very depressive day today, I still have to come to terms with not doing the things I love for weeks. makes me feel terrible. I knew my body was not made for this, I couldn't even make it past 2 years without having to withdraw due to injury.

I absolutely don't mean to say I am glad you had to take a 6 month break from workout due to an unknown condition but it gave me some relief to read that I am not alone,

thanks for posting it squiddy. you are in my thoughts, hopefully good vibes come your way.

Thanks guys, and hope things get better for you as well Sphinx. I kinda felt obliged to explain why I hadn't been posting as much in this thread (seeing as I made it :p). But yeah, sometimes your body do the darnest things, and there's not much you can do about it.

Carry on lifting, good folks - I shall continue to lift vicariously through you.

That's a massive pain in the ass. Sorry bro. In the meantime, yeah, may as well do some cardio and stretches if you can. What kind of cardio have you been doing?

That's a massive pain in the ass. Sorry bro. In the meantime, yeah, may as well do some cardio and stretches if you can. What kind of cardio have you been doing?

Just walks/half-jogs on the treadmill or outside, as anything more strenuous causes problems. And yeah, loads of stretching and foam rolling on all of my muscles.

Thanks guys, and hope things get better for you as well Sphinx. I kinda felt obliged to explain why I hadn't been posting as much in this thread (seeing as I made it :p). But yeah, sometimes your body do the darnest things, and there's not much you can do about it.

Carry on lifting, good folks - I shall continue to lift vicariously through you.

It only makes sense man...you gave the thing its haunting grounds, of course you would be hit hardest. It's like you were the one who dug up the burial ground...or like, posted on it, or something.

Anyways, hope you recover soon!

DELAYED EDIT: removed mention of the you know what

Broke 1.5x body weight with full depth on squats for one rep recently, but on this cycle of 5/3/1 I was unable to go passed that and failed on my 1s week. I suspect I needed to be eating more. Ah well, a reset is about due I guess.

moocow

It happens bro. In the span of a year, I had a minor surgery and blew my back out twice(they are unrelated) I haven't been able to squat in months without irritating my back, but I tested what I could do in the gym and was able to incorporate many of my old lifts again. I am already putting up new prs. So don't let it get you down, but just figure out what you can do while you recover.

SeanR1221

Broke 1.5x with full depth on squats for one rep recently, but on this cycle of 5/3/1 I was unable to go passed that and failed on my 1s week. I suspect I needed to be eating more. Ah well, a reset is about due I guess.

Ain't nothing wrong with having to eat.

Sadetar

Tashbrooke, Looking good (even if a bit wasted) sweetie!

Rippetoe's methodology of setting your initial powerlifting work weight as an untrained person is flawed in a self-teaching context, I think. People have no idea that their form is degrading when they're just starting out and typically go way too heavy and then stall out or get injured by the progressive structure way before they would had they started lighter.

I looked that up. At the moment I have a gym programme made by my physiotherapist and I have the last 1,5 years followed her every idea. She finally gave me the permission to start to go to gym 2,5 months ago. My back seems to be better and it has been over 3 weeks without pain medication (in comparison of eating opiats every day for the last half a year or so after it went way worse on late autumn). She don't want me doing free weights yet though, but I will definitely ask her again about it next time I see her. Using the machines seems to take so much of the effect away. Thanks - food for my thoughts.

Oh and also does anyone of you have any opinion about eating protein pudding once in a while as a treat? I have been eating Fast double chocolate one and I really like the taste. I know I don't need it, but can there be any particular harm of enjoying it couple times a week?

Hey Fitness GAF. I'm gonna be joining you over the next few months.
I'm in a unique position to have zero responsibilities until mid-September (just finished first year of uni, choosing not to get a job over summer) so I'm gonna focus on getting fit.
Currently at around 170lbs/77kg and just shy of 6 foot.
I'd describe my body shape as completely average, here's a shit picture;
0001.png

My main weight issues are stomach/lower back area.
My aims are basically to lose fat and develop some muscle (with an initial focus on dropping body fat%) I have P90X/Insanity and DDP Yoga, all from previous flirtation with fitness, but this time I'm in it for the long run.

Any diet recommendations? My cubpoards are currently stocked with protein rich rood, some fruit and vegetables, and seeds and nuts as snacks (and some whey protein drinks) - I'm guessing I should be avoiding carbs? I have zero processed foods in the kitchen, and luckily have no cravings to eat junk food.

For exercise, I'm guessing for now I should balance cardio with strength? My first aim is to lose some body fat, so perhaps leaning more towards cardio? I was thinking of alternating between the high intense cardio of P90X (kenpo/plyo etc) with the strength focus in DDP on alternate days - and perhaps also a run around the local park in a morning/ focus on abs every other day. Any thoughts about this? Oh, I should mention, I just quit smoking a week ago, and my stamina is in the pits, this is partly why I want to throw some cardio in too.

I'll be gettin' a load of gear on Tuesday so I can measure my progress, will update with details etc, thanks for any advice!
edit: Just saw a shit load of good info in the OP, will give it a read, cheers.

blackflag

It goes away but sometimes it lasts 6 months for me and I get it chronically.

yogloo

This is the routine that I follow. I didn't see it being mentioned at the op so I thought I might want to share it here. It seems like a nice balanced routine with linear progression.

AllPro Simple beginner's Routine
You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
Bench Presses
Bent-Over Rows
Overhead Barbell Presses
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

Matugi

This is the routine that I follow. I didn't see it being mentioned at the op so I thought I might want to share it here. It seems like a nice balanced routine with linear progression.

I mean it's not inherently bad but the problem is it suffers from an identity crisis. It's a hypertrophy program structured like a strength program, and while those aren't necessarily independent and can certainly be done for a beginner, you'll run into a lot more volume than is necessary when you reach that 4x12 week. If your goal is to gain mass, then the 4x8 is fine as a baseline but it's not really necessary to go up to 4x12. Work on the 4x8 until you aren't seeing anymore progress on that front, then go up. For strength, you're really better off with a 3x5 or 5x5 type of ordeal because the strength gains won't be lost in the fatigue from the amount of volume you'd be doing.

Hmm... just caught my reflection and I must say that I'm starting to fill out my t-shirt quite nicely. Will look really small after I've finished losing this weight, but I'm interested in what I can look like after another round.

yogloo

I mean it's not inherently bad but the problem is it suffers from an identity crisis. It's a hypertrophy program structured like a strength program, and while those aren't necessarily independent and can certainly be done for a beginner, you'll run into a lot more volume than is necessary when you reach that 4x12 week. If your goal is to gain mass, then the 4x8 is fine as a baseline but it's not really necessary to go up to 4x12. Work on the 4x8 until you aren't seeing anymore progress on that front, then go up. For strength, you're really better off with a 3x5 or 5x5 type of ordeal because the strength gains won't be lost in the fatigue from the amount of volume you'd be doing.

Here's the explanation that they give for for the volume.
In order to add 1 rep each week, your 1 rep max has to increase by about 2.5% each week.
What you say is true though. The program is basically a split between strength and hypertrophy.

Barzul

Hey guys, I met a dude at the gym who says he benches and squats everyday (except on rest days) and he says he just reduces the intensity of his other weight training to compensate, but bench and squats are an everyday thing. Is this safe? Dude looks in amazing shape. I'd been thinking about implementing more of those two workouts into my schedule, but was worried about overtraining. I currently only flat bench and squat once a week.

blackflag

Hey guys, I met a dude at the gym who says he benches and squats everyday (except on rest days) and he says he just reduces the intensity of his other weight training to compensate, but bench and squats are an everyday thing. Is this safe? Dude looks in amazing shape. I'd been thinking about implementing more of those two workouts into my schedule, but was worried about overtraining. I currently only flat bench and squat once a week.

Everyday seems like overkill to me except in some specific situations but I used to do them every other day until I got big and strong.

Matugi

Here's the explanation that they give for for the volume.

What you say is true though. The program is basically a split between strength and hypertrophy.

I like PHAT's approach better. Rather than use an integrated approach, where the efficacy of either side is unclear and the ultimate outcome is hard to determine, PHAT uses a segregated approach where you have specific power days and specific hypertrophy days.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Hate to tell you, but you're gonna find your form degrading anyway. No one's form is ever perfect and most people have shit form no matter what program they start with. The good thing about SS and rippetoe's books though is that they show and go over proper form. Also, it's up to the individual to educate themselves and constantly monitor form.

dummydecoy

Welp! So i decided to get fit and did my first run yesterday with a friend who regularly does. Managed through 4km like a whimp, resting 30secs every 100m and 2mins every km, each break feeling worse than the last. On my last 500m my knees started aching but still managed to push through as my fit friend kept barking orders like a drill sgt.

FFW 12 hours and now my knees hurt like hell when I stand or walk. No pain when sitting or lying, though. Is this normal? How can this be avoided in the future? Did I just TDKR'd my knee?

lenovox1

Hate to tell you, but you're gonna find your form degrading anyway. No one's form is ever perfect and most people have shit form no matter what program they start with. The good thing about SS and rippetoe's books though is that they show and go over proper form. Also, it's up to the individual to educate themselves and constantly monitor form.

But, of course, one approach is akin to teaching someone how to ride a bike without training wheels. This falls on an individual's ability to be mentally and physically coordinated and prepared enough for a weight load.

(But, again, that involves an assessment that an individual must make of themselves.)

Welp! So i decided to get fit and did my first run yesterday with a friend who regularly does. Managed through 4km like a whimp, resting 30secs every 100m and 2mins every km, each break feeling worse than the last. On my last 500m my knees started aching but still managed to push through as my fit friend kept barking orders like a drill sgt.

FFW 12 hours and now my knees hurt like hell when I stand or walk. No pain when sitting or lying, though. Is this normal? How can this be avoided in the future? Did I just TDKR'd my knee?

I'm not a doctor, but it sound like you have inflammation behind your kneecaps. You're going to need RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). And you're going to need it for a few days.

As you became tired, you're feet likely began to roll in or out as you mentally lost control of your balance and coordination. As this is your first long distance run, your thighs and calfs may not have the strength or the muscular endurance to support you over a long period of time, putting more stress on your knee joint.

Yes, that's very normal when do far too much, far too quickly. Don't run when you're tired. Take more rest periods. Don't let your friend bully you. Support your running with lower body resistance training. And don't go on another run with that friend without a couple of knee braces ;-). If you do at all, that is...

SeanR1221

I've been watching you for a while, and I'd assume you're doing 5/3/1. You know you're supposed to be pushing the last set AMRAP, right?

Speaking of amrap, the first week of banded work is crushing me for the 3 amrap sets unbanded.

I'm only pushing 3-5 reps for the 3 sets. My body is just gassed after band work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom