• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

So full... 209.5lbs before and 213.5 after. Might keep bulking up to 220 if possible and then start cutting slowly and see if these peptides work on me.

Did a 475x1 snatch grip pause for 3 sec and then completed the pull, felt good.
whats the context? For your back? Muscle growth?

I'm hoping that I can get back to deadlufting heavy in the next couple weeks. 315 for 10 reps and a couple sets went really well. But then I think about how previously I was doing 500 for 3-5. Soon.

Matugi

Dude I hurt my lower back on Sunday doing deadlifts. I wasn't even going heavy which pisses me off. I have no idea what I did though, it's this pain on the lower right side of my back and it just hurts when doing certain movements

Basically the same spot for me. Right above the pelvis on the right side.

EDIT: Happy selfie saturday everyone

PATSL8g.jpg

Excuse the mirror

Matugi

Is there anything you're trying to do to make it better?

Just been trying to foam roll it, but it's in a spot that you can't really hit with a foam roller. Gonna try take a tennis ball to it. Also been doing some yoga poses (namely child's pose) trying to stretch it. Took some meloxicam this morning to try to ease the swelling.

sphinx

the piano man
he's just crazy, that's his coach's gym and they do that shit all the time.

Would you want it any other way? Also obviously a more private environment there.

My local gym weight room has no windows, awful atmospheric controls, bare minimum of equipment and everyone who pushes any decent weight on compound lifts grunts and screams and drops weights. Not like a lunatic but certainly without reservation. THE DUNGEON. It's fucking awesome. I love hearing/feeling it when I am going down the stairs or even just up in the locker room unpacking getting ready. Hype level to the max. If you are looking for estrogen you can find it in the multipurpose room where the zumba is going down ~

I am all for hype, screams and grunts during the lift. Hearing your buddies cheering you up is exciting, I think we all agree on that.

but after that, when he's done and starts screaming "rep that shit" he's just being obnoxious.

that being said, I am probably a very boring guy to work out with, lol

Sadetar

If you worked your way up to a muscle up I would be forever impressed.
Hahah, we can hopefully get back to this topic after around five years. :p

I don't know have I managed to share my enjoyment about working out enough in here. First time in a very long time I have been able to go to gym (now 2,5 months of that luxury). I am just waiting to get a permission from my physiotherapist to be able to do that more than twice a week. Also I would love to try free weights, but perhaps she will let me do them on autumn. I am being very hopeful. ^_^

Chocobro

You guys should see Jon North during competitions. Hypes up the crowd, walk around the weight, gets into position, completes the lift, slam the weight down to the ground, screams if it's a PR/hype, bows to crowd, walks out.

He's an interesting guy. I love watching him lift.

You guys should see Jon North during competitions. Hypes up the crowd, walk around the weight, gets into position, completes the lift, slam the weight down to the ground, screams if it's a PR/hype, bows to crowd, walks out.

The screaming woman at the London Olympics was properly epic. Crowd loved her.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
whats the context? For your back? Muscle growth?

I'm hoping that I can get back to deadlufting heavy in the next couple weeks. 315 for 10 reps and a couple sets went really well. But then I think about how previously I was doing 500 for 3-5. Soon.

For cutting

SeanR1221

Is there anything you're trying to do to make it better?

Just been trying to foam roll it, but it's in a spot that you can't really hit with a foam roller. Gonna try take a tennis ball to it. Also been doing some yoga poses (namely child's pose) trying to stretch it. Took some meloxicam this morning to try to ease the swelling.

When I herniated a disk, the stretches that helped the most:

Hold a kneeling lunge position

Lay on your back, put your knees up. Cross one leg over the other. Put one arm through the middle of your legs, the other off to the side of your bent leg and pull your bent leg towards your chest.

Lay in a doorway. Put your leg up on a doorframe and point your toes towards the ceiling. Try to get your butt all the way up to the frame but it's ok to be further back.

Zoe

Lay in a doorway. Put your leg up on a doorframe and point your toes towards the ceiling. Try to get your butt all the way up to the frame but it's ok to be further back.

My therapist just gave me this one with a flexed foot to hit the hamstrings. Add in nerve glides to hit the sciatic nerve.

blackflag

I bought this and it's a godsend. Worth every single dollar. Fixed all my issues. Started squatting the other day and my left IT bad was tight as fuck. Fixed it right up.

http://www.roguefitness.com/mobilitywod-super-nova.php

SeanR1221

Holy shit! Banded deadlifts are intense!!

Worked up to 295x3 banded, then did 5,5,4 unbanded.

Went down 75% to 225 and did a 3x3 of snatch Deads, followed by barbell shrugs and cable rows.

Time to eat!!

When I herniated a disk, the stretches that helped the most:

Hold a kneeling lunge position

Lay on your back, put your knees up. Cross one leg over the other. Put one arm through the middle of your legs, the other off to the side of your bent leg and pull your bent leg towards your chest.

Thanks, I do the doorway one already so I'll try those other 2 ones

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Holy shit! Banded deadlifts are intense!!

Worked up to 295x3 banded, then did 5,5,4 unbanded.

Went down 75% to 225 and did a 3x3 of snatch Deads, followed by barbell shrugs and cable rows.

Time to eat!!

Your deadlift is gonna skyrocket too(so long as you keep doing it right). I went from 565-600 in a few months because of them.

Is this "cardio is dumb/useless/pointless" sentiment I see on places like r/fit some sort of community in-joke, or do people really believe it?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Is this "cardio is dumb/useless/pointless" sentiment I see on places like r/fit some sort of community in-joke, or do people really believe it?

It's a real broscience sentiment and it breaks down as follows:

-Most people work out to improve their aesthetics

-Aesthetics are determined, simply, by the size of your muscles and your body fat percentage

-Changing your caloric intake is more efficient in time, effort, and willpower than cardio for modifying your body fat percentage

-Cardio is inherently catabolic, therefore interfering to some degree with your strength training gains

Therefore, don't ever do cardio!

Except that cardio is healthy and an extremely important component of overall athleticism, and if you're living in the gym you should probably be caring about that stuff too. Do you not want to use your chiseled body in sports or other activities? Also, almost anything you do other than lifting, eating, and sleeping is catabolic, so refraining from doing anything else in the name of efficiency is supremely moronic.

-Aesthetics are determined, simply, by the size of your muscles and your body fat percentage

-Changing your caloric intake is more efficient in time, effort, and willpower than cardio for modifying your body fat percentage

-Cardio is inherently catabolic, therefore interfering to some degree with your strength training gains

Except that cardio is healthy and an extremely important component of overall athleticism, and if you're living in the gym you should probably be caring about that stuff too. Do you not want to use your chiseled body in sports or other activities? Also, almost anything you do other than lifting, eating, and sleeping is catabolic, so refraining from doing anything else in the name of efficiency is supremely moronic.

Informative. Thanks for the info.

So I guess in some contexts the people are serious and in others the people are mocking that sort of thinking.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
My weight sled arrived from muscle driver yesterday. Got some tight shorts for sprinting that would make FE proud. My ass is so big I have to get size XL or they don't fit around it :(

Detox

I'm going to start using a foam roller and I was curious which one is more useful out of the rumble roller and standard round one?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Perfectly said. I do a little cardio but not much. People are always giving me shit about it and I tell them I'd rather skip a meal to shred up. It seems to annoy them because they spend hours doing cardio and still don't drop in body fat. Oh well. That's their problem.

In small doses his podcast is entertaining. He's definitely had an interesting background; dad was a rich business man drug addict and turned him on to hard drugs early. His opinions on general subjects are really uneducated though.

http://www.spreaker.com/show/the_jon_north_show

Perfectly said. I do a little cardio but not much. People are always giving me shit about it and I tell them I'd rather skip a meal to shred up. It seems to annoy them because they spend hours doing cardio and still don't drop in body fat. Oh well. That's their problem.

I'm a mountain biker... so for me it's really a case of tough shit if cardio gets in the way of gains. To be honest though, carrying too much muscle will negatively effect my ability to ride so for me not getting massive is never going to be a problem.

Pakoe

Nothing wrong with some cardio. After i stopped smoking my conditioning was terrible, so i started taking the bike to the gym. Was hard as fuck in the beginning but nowadays it's a breeze.

I call it the "Survivor effect". Ever season there is one guy who is huge and buffed, but can't run or swim more than a couple of yards. And then even when a challenge involves strength they are gassed within seconds.

Need that balance.

I'm a mountain biker... so for me it's really a case of tough shit if cardio gets in the way of gains. To be honest though, carrying too much muscle will negatively effect my ability to ride so for me not getting massive is never going to be a problem.

This might be considered muscle shaming, but I personally think that at some point too much muscle can actually be aesthetically unpleasing. Though that may just be me being creeped out by veins in general.

Chocobro

MUCH BETTER! Especially your second rep, that one looked the best. Chest up looks good. Sorry I haven't recorded yet. Been a crazy week, yard work, cutting trees and getting ready for a huge memorial BBQ.
That's a relief, I'll keep at it.
No need to be sorry. Priorities! I hope you have a good time. That sounds like a lot of work.
The screaming woman at the London Olympics was properly epic. Crowd loved her.
Do you happen to have a YouTube video link of that?
Yep! I still find it humorous in his first snatch when he almost walks off the stage with the weight above his head lol.
In small doses his podcast is entertaining. He's definitely had an interesting background; dad was a rich business man drug addict and turned him on to hard drugs early. His opinions on general subjects are really uneducated though.

http://www.spreaker.com/show/the_jon_north_show
I didn't look into his past but I briefly read a comment talking about Jon North's past. I don't bother listening to podcasts in general. But wow..

Sadetar

I just made a mini apple pie from a Quest Bar.

This changes everything. Seriously holy shit game over, no other protein bar will ever enter this body.

The video is here for the recipe: http://youtu.be/I5MHvQhbLGI

I suggest 5 minutes instead of 4 but you may want to test it at 4 anyway.
That is awesome! I need to give it a try some day. Looks and sounds delicious.

Also for some reason I am totally loving Fast douple chocolate protein pudding. I know I don't need it, but the days I am hitting the gym I have given myself a permission for that little treat.

I do crosstraining as a warm up usually around 15 minutes before anything else at the gym and I also end it with it as well. Couple times a week I also go jogging and this far I think that these has been working quite fine with me. Like said, it is all about finding the right balance for you.

Then again I have also changed my eating habits quite much and I am more or less planning to get my back in better condition and lose hopefully some fat without losing too much muscles. After those two I will definitely look into something more.

SeanR1221

http://ironspo*******/uncategorized/yes-it-can-be-done

I'm not sure why neogaf is blocking iron sport gyms blog...

Here is the article

As anyone in the strength community knows Iron Sport has a long standing tradition of putting out champions in the strongman arena. We have had this reputation since we opened up our doors back 1995. But what most people do not know is that ALL of our strongmen and women compete DRUG FREE. Now I’m not one to run around waving the anti-drug flag for the purposes of throwing it in anyone’s face. And I certainly don’t try to villainize anyone for using PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs) the point I’m trying to make here is that IT CAN BE DONE drug free!

This whole story has been inspired by Iron Sport’s newest member of the pro strongman ranks Jimmy Dart of Havertown PA. Jimmy won his pro card at an ASC strongmen event in Shreveport LA yesterday against very stiff competition. After I heard this it made me start thinking about all the members of our gym that have competed on that level and the several qualities they all had in common. Going back to strongmen like myself, heavyweight pros Walt Gogola and Reggie Barton, lightweight pros Kirk and Kevin Nowack, Adam Keep and now Jimmy Dart as well as a top 200lb strongman Dan Falcone, even a couple women top level strength competitors Maya Winters and Nikita Halterman. We have all had long and very active strength careers, trained very hard and put a fair amount of blood, chalk and sweat into our training all drug free. It’s not even something that we ever even talk much with each other, it’s just something that we have always done.

Now you might be thinking “yeah right Steve, how the hell do you know these people were drug free, nobody ever comes right out and admits it”. Yeah, that’s pretty much true a lot of the times but I know these people well. I have known them and seen them all grow as athletes, none of thesm just popped in here one day as great strongmen they were all home grown members who I have gotten to know very well throughout the years. We also have something in common it seems, our attitude regarding competing. Yes, we are fierce competitors, yes we love to push ourselves to the limit in the gym but we all knew that these athletic contests were not really worth messing with drugs over. I know for myself and I’m sure it is the same for the other guys and girls. I liked winning but if I did my best and performed as good as I could that day and was beaten by a better person that day that I didn’t for one second ever think, “Well if I had been using steroids like him I would have beat him.” The thought never crossed my mind. I would just go on and do the best that I could like always.

We all probably have our own reasons that kept us from using PEDs as well. Kirk and Kevin were both well respected engineers, Jimmy Dart is a physical therapist, Maya is a college professor so these people aren’t just meat heads, they have many good qualities other than being strong that enrich their lives. Although they strive to be strong their strength careers are not on the top of their list of life priorities. As for me I was a father and took care of my family from the age of 21 and never really had much disposal income. The thought of taking food money away from my children’s mouths to buy drugs to put a few pounds on my bench seemed absurd to me.

Getting back to the original point of the article though. Achieving your strength goals drug free CAN BE DONE. As much as your gym bros try to tell you it can’t it most certainly can. It just takes hard work, a solid plan, a shitfuckton of desire and most of all patience. Steroids are merely a short cut but it’s not the only route to strength.

BumRush

That's actually a perfect write up...very informative

SeanR1221

Just took a great before and after I had to share.

I might not have dem chiseled cuts like some guys but damn if that's not progress I'm proud of.

I love keeping a photo log from the beginning. I'm telling you guys, download the app body shot and use it every couple months. You can go back and make comparisons like this!

How fuckin gnarly are leg cramps once you have some decent muscle mass on you. How. Fuckin. Gnarly.
Make sure you are always hydrated and supplement your potassium and magnesium intake. I started cramping on calf raises. When it quickly progressed to getting a cramp in my hips arching for bench press I knew I had a real problem. I use a 1/2 tsp each of potassium citrate and magnesium gluconate in the morning and in the evening.

Just took a great before and after I had to share.

I might not have dem chiseled cuts like some guys but damn if that's not progress I'm proud of.

I love keeping a photo log from the beginning. I'm telling you guys, download the app body shot and use it every couple months. You can go back and make comparisons like this!

Clearly significant strength and size gains. Well done man!

sphinx

the piano man
so today I am experiencing some new pain in my wrist, I think it's time to admit it's getting worse so all lifting and workouts that involve the use hands are cancelled until further notice.

tomorrow first hour I'll make an appointment with another doctor, recommended by one of my piano students, hopefully I get a real treatment this time.

Will probably have a all-leg month in June.

PS: Nice before/after sean, good work.

Imm0rt4l

so today I am experiencing some new pain in my wrist, I think it's time to admit it's getting worse so all lifting and workouts that involve the use hands are cancelled until further notice.

tomorrow first hour I'll make an appointment with another doctor, recommended by one of my piano students, hopefully I get a real treatment this time.

Probably De Quervain's Tendonitis

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Finally broke my streak of clean eating with a bad night. Now I'm sitting here feeling lethargic and puffed out. We had family up which included my brother-in-law who recently got a medical marijuana card. He has this vaporizer which is mostly odorless and runs on some type of THC wax. Pretty freaking cool actually. We went to see X-Men and that meant candy. A bunch of baby ruth's, starbursts, and a large cherry coke later I was out for the count. Oh well I guess. I will call it my refuel day and move on.

SeanR1221

Clearly significant strength and size gains. Well done man!

Thanks mang!

I'm assuming your piano playing doesn't help. Your wrists probably already get a good amount of use and then they become easier to agrivate. Rest and recover the injury and work what you can.

And thanks for the kind words :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom