• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, yeah, have done my first few weights sessions over the last week and my whole body just aches now, does this pass or should I get used to it?

Also, pull ups. I can't do more than one of them. Is there anything I can do here or just keep trying until I can do a few more?

Ahhh delayed onset muscle soreness. It hurts so good. Your body will get used to it and eventually it will become less severe/go away

As far as pull up alternatives I would either do negatives (where you prop yourself to the top with a stool/plyo box and control your descent) or do assisted pullups on the assisted pullup machine (the more weight on the machine the easier)

So I'm 100% tired of chicken breasts. if I get them at the store could I just ask the meat department to grind it, or should I look into getting my own grinder? Anyone have experience with this?

throw a whole bunch of it in a crock pot with some chicken broth, then you can shred it

theytookourjobz

I was. And all the 180lb "I'm working on my form" kids give me dirty looks before going home to write about it on the internet.

There's nothing more dangerous about the eccentric half of a deadlift. Unless you're fully developed--like your frame is carrying all the muscle it can, you should be welcoming every opportunity to build muscle. Telling yourself that you need to drop 405 like it's heavy is taking a shortcut. The last thing your generation needs is more shortcuts.

lol

Recently bought a book called "Meat is for Pussies" which is written by John Joseph, a guy that's been through it all and is now completely vegan etc

Which has got me thinking alot about what i'm putting into my body.
I try to eat healthy (well just not eat really bad stuff) and i mostly only drink water.

I was thinking about getting into drinking those protein shakes or just make my own smoothies to get that extra bit more into my daily diet.

Any suggestions?

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Recently bought a book called "Meat is for Pussies" which is written by John Joseph, a guy that's been through it all and is now completely vegan etc

Which has got me thinking alot about what i'm putting into my body.
I try to eat healthy (well just not eat really bad stuff) and i mostly only drink water.

I was thinking about getting into drinking those protein shakes or just make my own smoothies to get that extra bit more into my daily diet.

Any suggestions?

We need more information. Age, weight, and daily calorie and protein intake.

You need don't protein shakes if your diet is satisfying you need for it.

I haven't had a protein shake in over a year because of my diet.

Niven

First day back in the gym today and it felt so good! I only used a low weight with my dead lifts today because I wanted to try get the form right but boy did my legs still feel it on the mile and a half walk home!

SeanR1221

I was. And all the 180lb "I'm working on my form" kids give me dirty looks before going home to write about it on the internet.

There's nothing more dangerous about the eccentric half of a deadlift. Unless you're fully developed--like your frame is carrying all the muscle it can, you should be welcoming every opportunity to build muscle. Telling yourself that you need to drop 405 like it's heavy is taking a shortcut. The last thing your generation needs is more shortcuts.
It's like I stumbled on a misc post

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey all, back again. Need some advice.

Was hitting our small gym at our apartment complex last summer but fell off a bit over the holidays. I plan to start back up and want some advice on workouts to do.

I plan to work out 5 days a week, and do about 30 min of lifting followed by 30-45 min of elliptical work (hills typically).

Here are the basics of what our smaller gym has:
Dumbbell set (up to 50's I believe), all in one machine with leg press area, lat area, bench/chest press press area, and overhead press area (plus all other moves you can do with those as base, rows, triceps, etc.), bench with bar and some free weights, medicine ball, ab wheel.

Given all that, what would be a good set of 4 or 5 workouts I could do every week? My goal is to drop about 20 lbs doing lifting and cardio (along with eating right). Also I have bad knees and ankles so what lifts could I do (aside from the elliptical for cardio) that would be good for legs but not too hard on knees?

Here's my thought so far:

Monday:
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Curls
Dumbbell Rows
Tricep pushdown (using Lat machine)
chest press

Tues:
Leg Press
Calf Raises
Leg Curl
????

Weds:
Machine Bench
Incline Dumbbell Bench
Dumbbell Military Press
Lats
???

Thurs:
Leg Press
Calf Raises
Leg Curl
????

Fri:
Abs
Pushups (2 sets each of: Regular, Military, medicine ball, wide).

Each workout would be followed by about 30-45 min of elliptical.

Thoughts? Tips? Additions? I know it's not a big gym, but I think i can get a good plan for what I want to do using what we have.

so I was recently watching 300 and I remember the actors being a lot bigger and more cut. Don't get me wrong, they are still impressive and they have worked hard but now, I am just like meh. I want more and can do better.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

What the hell is a 180lb "working on my form" kid? Is this your attempt to put someone down who weighs less than you?

Your next paragraph is complete nonsense and I hope no one here takes it seriously.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The best part is that he seems to think that working on one's form should not be a priority.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
so I was recently watching 300 and I remember the actors being a lot bigger and more cut. Don't get me wrong, they are still impressive and they have worked hard but now, I am just like meh. I want more and can do better.

Anyone else feel the same way?

You're such a butthole.

I'd need to rewatch it but that would mean I'd have to rewatch 300 and I totally don't feel like doing that again.

Xerxes was a badass though.

Funny story, I went and saw it at the theater with some...not so educated friends. One of them said, "Man, could you imagine how cool it would be if the Spartans were real?"

Fucking shit

You're such a butthole.

I'd need to rewatch it but that would mean I'd have to rewatch 300 and I totally don't feel like doing that again.

Funny story, I went and saw it at the theater with some...not so educated friends. One of them said, "Man, could you imagine how cool it would be if the Spartans were real?"

Fucking shit

look, look at this

300-Movie-Publicity-Still-300-222345_1500_790.jpg

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

frontieruk

You're such a butthole.

Fucking shit

I'd of asked if they had ever played Halo...

Some of the chest exercises are redundant if you do heavy bench press and overhead press. Also you need some deadlifts and squats on leg day. Probably there are not enough free weights for a regular deadlift, so the romanian variation will stretch those hamstrings good even at lower weights:

Monday:
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Rows
Curls

Tues:
Leg Press
Romanian Deadlift (instead of leg curls)
Bodyweight squats
Calf Raises

Weds:
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Incline Dumbbell Bench
Lats (later pullups)
??? More curls?

Thurs:
Leg Press
Romanian Deadlift
Bodyweight squats
Calf Raises

Fri:
Abs
Pushups (2 sets each of: Regular, Military, medicine ball, wide, diamond!).
Pullups

Or for people like me who can't bench and overhead press the same day:

Monday:
Bench Press
Pullups
Curls
Abs

Tues:
Leg Press
Romanian Deadlift (instead of leg curls)
Bodyweight squats
Calf Raises

Weds:
Overhead Press
Pushups
Rows
Curls
Abs

Thurs:
Leg Press
Romanian Deadlift

Bodyweight squats
Calf Raises

Fri:
Bench Press
Pullups
Curls
Abs

Then next week wednesday becomes monday and friday.
Underlined means lift HEAVY, as these will be your main exercises.
And I'm assuming here you really want to train 5 times a week for whatever reason such as cutting. But you could save time and do something similar to SS. Just switch leg press with squats as accessory given your circumstances, add a few other accessories (curls and pullups) and you could have a decent workout.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the lat pulldown machine is neat, but should be considered assisted workout towards pullups. So you can start with that, or something else. But after a while you must be attempting a proper pullup or a chin up and later ditch the lat machine and use it just to warm up.

Martal

Neo Member
So I'm looking to be a bit more active and am thinking about starting swimming. I read that you shouldnt work out every single day. Trouble is I'm the sort of person who needs to look forward to doing something the next day, otherwise I lose motivation.

So would it be HORRIBLE if I swam for 30-60 minutes lets say every week day? That way I could treat it like a job and eventually have it become routine. Thats better than having to overcome myself every other day.

Zoe

So I'm looking to be a bit more active and am thinking about starting swimming. I read that you shouldnt work out every single day. Trouble is I'm the sort of person who needs to look forward to doing something the next day, otherwise I lose motivation.

So would it be HORRIBLE if I swam for 30-60 minutes lets say every week day? That way I could treat it like a job and eventually have it become routine. Thats better than having to overcome myself every other day.

People on swim teams go every day. Just listen to your body and be realistic about your goals.

You can do that sort of exercise every day of your life if you want to... providing you get enough sleep / food etc. It's only really heavy weights or impact that require significant recovery time.

Martal

Neo Member
Excellent!

Now there's one more question I don't understand.

I'm 24, 6'5, 177 pounds and live sedentary life, which according to some random website means that I need to eat more than 2800 calories a day.

... does this sound reasonable? After looking up how much that actually equates to in real food terms, I can say with some certainty that I have been eating far less than that for a long time, how haven't I been losing weight?

Be very careful with those calculators. Supposedly I can eat 2,400 not taking into consideration my exercise calories... which is horseshit. If I go over 1,800 I put on weight.

You basically need to find your own level.

keezy

Fuck yeah man. Great stuff. What does your workout routine consist of?

I use a lot of bands/chains with my exercises.

That added resistance lets me squeeze the muscle I'm training so much better.

Plus, my body and joints don't feel as crappy as they did when I was lifting as heavy as possible every single day.

So for example, on chest I usually will hit this hammer machine on bands. Fills up your muscles with blood quick from that added resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brvE5g_0ABc

Finally took the plunge and signed up with a gym. What sold me was the indoor play area for my son. It's just too damn cold outside and I can't keep taking him to McDonalds just so he can run around at their play place. We scouted it out on Sunday and he loved it. He climbed up their slide house and was going down over and over again while I talked with the 24 hour fitness guy. I get a discount through my work so I got that workin for me. I am doing my best not to judge all those around me, but damn it's hard.

Cooter

Looking good Keezy!

____

So check this out... I'm now 7 weeks into this semi-clean bulk of 4,000 calories. I was 192 this morning which is 17 pounds heavier than when I started. Strength is increasing every training session so I know I'm getting enough calories. Now here's the kicker, my abs are still visible if I want them to be. Blows my mind because on past bulks where I consumed everything in sight they were long gone by now. It is because of this lower than expected fat gain that I am now considering running it through February and even possibly March. If this trend continues it shouldn't take me more than 6 weeks to get rid of the fat gain.

It's really hard to predict how much calories you burn with any degree of certainity.

The most important thing when it comes to weight gain/loss is to track how much calories you consume, and regular weighings.

Palpable

This is my 3rd week back at the gym. I know I'm not flexing in the first picture, but fuck (butt-fuck!) there is definitely progression. Muscle memory is definitely my friend.

It's all the same image filter. I use black/white because I hate how pale I am underneath.

B6nwncgCcAA4V5T.jpg:large

I use a lot of bands/chains with my exercises.

That added resistance lets me squeeze the muscle I'm training so much better.

Plus, my body and joints don't feel as crappy as they did when I was lifting as heavy as possible every single day.

So for example, on chest I usually will hit this hammer machine on bands. Fills up your muscles with blood quick from that added resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brvE5g_0ABc

Thank you for the info. Keep it up you look great. :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just got permission from the wife to finish out the basics of my garage gym, which include; j cups for yoke, a barbell, about 350 more lbs in plates and more mats and plywood to build a deadlift platform. Soon I will literally have my own gym.

Thank you for the info. Keep it up you look great. :)

That's not him, it's dave Tate. But he does in actuality have good aesthetics, he's no Dave Tate though.

Dany

Banned
Started grad school today. I think I've figured out when to work in my workouts. They'll be an hour a day, skipping monday and 'might' skip weds. All I need is my damn quest bars to fuel me during my 4 hour lectures. Progress has been slow the last two months, shin splints and more sweets than i wanted.

Sadetar

Darth, love your new avatar! Your arms are huge!

Oooh yeah. I woke up a bit after 8 pm today and managed to go to the gym before it closed. Good day actually! My normal gym routine didn't hurt my back and squats felt really good. I haven't been at the gym for three weeks since it was closed and I was sick before Christmas. Today was the first day it was open. My strenght was alright, but I was out of breath way more easily than I should have been. Hopefully it will be normal soon. My morning weight is already back to pre Christmas times.

Also the back extensions hurt a bit. I can feel it even when I just hold it. Is that any good or will I just start to do planks again daily?

Lol, whole first paragraph sounds good. Gym buddy/friend! :D
Who also thinks you're cute

Your back. :( I'm hoping that you getting back to routine and taking it slow will help. Good luck and don't push too hard that you further injure yourself.

Same thing with the food, though most of my extra calories over the holidays was junk anyway. Lol. But I need to stop eating breakfast again too, so I'm going to work on that again. And I'm poor so I'm not going to have lower carbs because poor = soup and mac&cheese lol :( But I'll at least keep calories in check even with things like that.
Sadly he left the city already today and went back to UK. It was entertaining and educating to talk with him though.

My gym opened today so I am back on my normal work out schedules. Feels so good! :D Good to hear that you are continuing as well! We can do this!

Sucks to be poor. Healthy and good food is so much more expensive than the carbonhydrate trash is. Soups are delicious though in my books! :p

Took a picture after the gym the other night. I'm sure all the food I ate from New Years helped with the pump :p

unnamed_zps05d8344a.jpg
You look absolutely awesome! Really nice chest and huge arms!

This is my 3rd week back at the gym. I know I'm not flexing in the first picture, but fuck (butt-fuck!) there is definitely progression. Muscle memory is definitely my friend.

It's all the same image filter. I use black/white because I hate how pale I am underneath.

B6nwncgCcAA4V5T.jpg:large
That is insane! You have absolutely gorgeous tummy area I must say.

How long you have been going to gym before a break and how long that break was?

Nothing wrong with butt-fucks...

What the hell is a 180lb "working on my form" kid? Is this your attempt to put someone down who weighs less than you?

Your next paragraph is complete nonsense and I hope no one here takes it seriously.

You know what's really funny? I'm probably the only actual strength and conditioning coach in this thread.

RoeBear

Oh come on. That wasn't particularly polite either.

Lets behave nicely now shall we.

To be honest I was just checking this guys post history and it's funny that someone like him isn't banned when Brolic was banned for far less.

Back on to fitness though. Keezy's pic made me feel bad. Stupid that I would compare myself, but I did it. I took a pic attempting to be just like him and I actually felt better. It's not as great as his but It helped me.

Sadetar

Back on to fitness though. Keezy's pic made me feel bad. Stupid that I would compare myself, but I did it. I took a pic attempting to be just like him and I actually felt better. It's not as great as his but It helped me.
Awwww. I know that feeling though. I compare myself to chicks who have always been in a good shape and have been working out half their lives when I have been going to gym only a bit over 9 months. Bad way to go.

And you should feel better. I remember you looking extremely good! :p

Sorry for the language. The guy just rubs me the wrong way. It could all be an elaborate troll. Who knows.
No worries sweetie.

And some people will do that to you. We don't need to like everyone in here, but I would hope we could all get together at least on some level in here.

Cooter

You know what's really funny? I'm probably the only actual strength and conditioning coach in this thread.
You should give all your clients their money back then. If you actually believe the descent of a deadlift is part of the lift you're one hell of a knowledgeable coach.

Not to mention your condescending attitude is not appreciated by myself and others. What is your point in even entering this thread? Is it to ridicule the people smaller than you and brag about curling in the squat rack? If so, rock on brother! You are clearly in the right and unfortunately surrounded by uninformed internet losers trying to perfect their form and someday get as huge as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom