• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Has anyone ever strained or pulled their lumbar?

I have yet to strain my lumbar. I hope I never do. It sounds painful as hell. I hope for a speedy recovery for you, fitbro

tumblr_lzgkzvAJQu1ro0cbpo1_500.gif

ILoveBish

Good morning fitness GAF. Yesterday I went with my wife to the gym and it was leg day for me, 4am. I haven't done weights in about three to four months, so I was going to start pretty light. I started with leg extensions and did three sets of moderate weight that felt comfortable and gave some resistance, then headed over to the leg press machine.

On the leg press, I started with 4x 45lb plates total. After one set, I felt that the seat needed to be readjusted so I could lean back more and extend my legs more...when I sat up from the machine and squatted down to adjust the seat, I strained my lumbar. It just felt like a pop...and I stood up slowly and walked away. Flagged down my wife who was on the elliptical and we drove back home...on the drive home, I could feel the swelling starting to kick in because trying to relax in the car wasn't helping at all.

When we got home, it was pretty difficult to get out of the car and stand straight and walk. Once inside the house, I sat at a barstool which relieved some of the pain, but when I tried to sit straight, it just hurt. So, I got up and just stood and walked around the house without sitting.

This has happened to me before...probably the fourth or fifth time now over a course of five years. It's happened in hockey before a game started, it's happened while working in the garage and my hamstring cramped, it's happened when my hamstring cramped during bench press, and now it's happened from squatting down to adjust a leg press machine seat.

The urgent care clinic didn't open till 9am, so I had to wait around for that. Once we got there, I was starting to feel some relief but after sitting and getting up, it would hurt really bad to stand straight.

The doctor saw me and said it was my lumbar, I strained it. He asked if stretched before I did my leg training and I said no. He said also that drinking the pre-workout shake before lifting actually dehydrates you and that I needed to drink plenty of water leading up to the workout. On top of that, he said I need to stretch for a good 10 minutes to warm up the hamstrings and glutes and lower back.

I was stupid not to stretch...but it's so annoying having to recover from this because it basically sets me back a week or two for recovery. I want to stretch, but I'm afraid I will make it worse, so now I'm on steroid stim pack meds, muscle relaxers, and strong ibuprofen. I do cold and hot treatments...as I sit in my office...and sitting in my office chair gets annoying after a bit because I can't seem to relax.

I stretch for about 20 seconds then start lifting, I've been doing this for nearly 3 years and never strained anything. I wish I had some advice for you, but I've never had a problem like that at all. The only thing I always do is start light and ramp up in weight. I never go heavy right off the bat.

Hey all, need some tips.

For the past 3 weeks I've been hitting cardio hard to try and drop some weight. I started at 225.5 lbs (I'm 5'11") and am not a big looking dude by any means, but I have a bit of a spare tire to get rid of. Today I weighed in at 221.5 which is the same as I weighed last week. So in about 2.5 weeks I've lost 4 pounds. Not awful, but I was hoping to see more results a bit quicker. The odd thing is I swear my bit of belly has gotten smaller, even though I haven't lost much weight.

Here's my schedule:
Monday - 55 min on elliptical hill setting
Tuesday - P90X Kenpo (55 minutes, kickboxing style workout)
Wednesday - 45-55 min elliptical hill setting)
Thursday - P90X3 Pilates (30 min), P90X3 Yoga (30 min)
Friday - Running on treadmill (25 min, hills), elliptical 15 min (hills)

I'm also on an eating plan where during the week I average around 1500 calories a day, and try to keep my carbs around 100g (some days 150g) and up my protein and fat to compensate. On weekends I end up eating a bit worse, and a lot more carbs but still try to keep it within reason.

Is there anything I should change? Or is it just something where it'll take time to get the weight loss moving? I was hoping to lose around 2-3lbs per week. It just frustrated me a bit to see myself at 221.5 last week, and then again this morning. I know 2.5 weeks is very little time to judge, though.

I'd like to stick to cardio if I can. I think if I could get down to 205 or so I'd look great.

Thanks!

It's all diet. I wish there was more to it. If you eat 1500 5 days a week and 6000 on sat/sun, you will cancel out a lot. Also if you are drinking alky, that will show you down a lot depending on your body.

2-3lbs a week is also extremely unrealistic unless you have amazing genetics. Like cooter, that genetic beast.

Szu

What was your recovery like?

Do you guys stretch before each weight training session? Specifically on leg days?

I just took it easy and constantly stretched my back.

I always stretch before and after each session. For upper body, I always stretch my rotator cuff and the whole back. I also stretch my chest and shoulders on chest and OHP days.

For leg day, I do a ton of stretches and warm up exercises.

Yes, it hurt for a week, then I fell on the ice on my butt and hurt for another week. It happened doing one of those ab rollers, I wasn't even working out, just trying to see if I could do one complete movement and I strained it during the extension.

What was your recovery like?

Do you guys stretch before each weight training session? Specifically on leg days?

Yes specially on leg day, you don't have to stretch much but enough to loose the muscles and warm up a bit. I do a couple toe reaches, quad stretch, deep runner pose and hold an ass to grass squat for a few seconds. Also shoulder stretches for a comfortable back squat grip.

For recovery, toe reaches, cat pose, child pose. But only if it feels comfortable otherwise it may damage you more.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I just took it easy and constantly stretched my back.

I always stretch before and after each session. For upper body, I always stretch my rotator cuff and the whole back. I also stretch my chest and shoulders on chest and OHP days.

For leg day, I do a ton of stretches and warm up exercises.

What type of stretches do you do for your back?

How soon do you think I could stretch? I'm scared to stretch anything if it's still sore.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's all diet. I wish there was more to it. If you eat 1500 5 days a week and 6000 on sat/sun, you will cancel out a lot. Also if you are drinking alky, that will show you down a lot depending on your body.

2-3lbs a week is also extremely unrealistic unless you have amazing genetics. Like cooter, that genetic beast.

It's more like 1500 during the week and 2500 on each weekend day (sometimes). I still end the week in a deficit. Haven't had booze (aside from one beer) or soda in 3 weeks either.

We'll see how it goes over a few more weeks. Just was a bit frustrated this morning not losing anything in the last week.

ILoveBish

It's more like 1500 during the week and 2500 on each weekend day (sometimes). I still end the week in a deficit. Haven't had booze (aside from one beer) or soda in 3 weeks either.

We'll see how it goes over a few more weeks. Just was a bit frustrated this morning not losing anything in the last week.

I'll be truthful that the same happens to me. If you know your calories are in order, then just keep going on. I know I am losing fat, the mirror tells me, my clothes tell me, but the scale doesn't. I've been at 245.5 for over a week and I eat 1500-1700 a day and lift.

Sometimes the scale weight doesn't change as it should, but things are happening. I've never looked so lean in my life, but if you were to check scale weight, there wouldn't be much change. In the keto community stalls like this happen all the time, the advice is KCKO. Keep calm and keto on.

BumRush

Hey all, need some tips.

For the past 3 weeks I've been hitting cardio hard to try and drop some weight. I started at 225.5 lbs (I'm 5'11") and am not a big looking dude by any means, but I have a bit of a spare tire to get rid of. Today I weighed in at 221.5 which is the same as I weighed last week. So in about 2.5 weeks I've lost 4 pounds. Not awful, but I was hoping to see more results a bit quicker. The odd thing is I swear my bit of belly has gotten smaller, even though I haven't lost much weight.

Here's my schedule:
Monday - 55 min on elliptical hill setting
Tuesday - P90X Kenpo (55 minutes, kickboxing style workout)
Wednesday - 45-55 min elliptical hill setting)
Thursday - P90X3 Pilates (30 min), P90X3 Yoga (30 min)
Friday - Running on treadmill (25 min, hills), elliptical 15 min (hills)

I'm also on an eating plan where during the week I average around 1500 calories a day, and try to keep my carbs around 100g (some days 150g) and up my protein and fat to compensate. On weekends I end up eating a bit worse, and a lot more carbs but still try to keep it within reason.

Is there anything I should change? Or is it just something where it'll take time to get the weight loss moving? I was hoping to lose around 2-3lbs per week. It just frustrated me a bit to see myself at 221.5 last week, and then again this morning. I know 2.5 weeks is very little time to judge, though.

I'd like to stick to cardio if I can. I think if I could get down to 205 or so I'd look great.

Thanks!

I'll echo what was said around the scale not being entirely accurate as water weight and other things can cause fluctuations. Take pics in the same pose wearing the same thing at the same time of day every week, and you'll see progress.

In regards to whether or not you can change you're workout at all...I think MOST people in this thread aren't huge fans of strictly cardio regimens for many reasons (which I can get into if you'd like). I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing a HIIT / lifting structure, focusing on compound movements - squat, deadlift, bench and OHP. If you want more info or a sample workout, let me know!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll echo what was said around the scale not being entirely accurate as water weight and other things can cause fluctuations. Take pics in the same pose wearing the same thing at the same time of day every week, and you'll see progress.

In regards to whether or not you can change you're workout at all...I think MOST people in this thread aren't huge fans of strictly cardio regimens for many reasons (which I can get into if you'd like). I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing a HIIT / lifting structure, focusing on compound movements - squat, deadlift, bench and OHP. If you want more info or a sample workout, let me know!

Yeah, I know people will suggest weights, for obvious reasons. It's just easier for me to get a bunch of cardio in, and I'm purely looking to drop some weight and lose some fat currently, which I should be able to do with diet and cardio. I might add some weights back in in a few months.

I've done a lot of HIIT stuff, including P90X/X2/Insanity/Asylum and lost about 40lbs there, but can't do it as easily in my current apartment and my knees have started down the path my Dad's and Grandpa's have gone, which is bad, thus more elliptical.

We'll see how it goes, I'll just keep pushing. :)

He said also that drinking the pre-workout shake before lifting actually dehydrates you

That's the same sort of bollocks that has people saying that coffee dehydrates you. Assuming your pre-workout shake actually contains more than a 3 to 1 ratio of water to powder (and good luck drinking it if it's less), there's no chance of it dehydrating you... unless you're spiking it with salt for some reason.

You should definitely be drinking plenty of water before working out though.

On the subject of back injuries... I pull muscles in mine all the time. Never lifting though, when doing general crap, which is even more frustrating. NSAID, ice, rest... and time. =/

ILoveBish

I've been eating 2K calories for the last two weeks. How long is a good indication if it's my maintenance calories or not?

2 weeks is a good frame of reference. You'll know where you are at by then, just be strict the whole 2 weeks. If you are lifting that 2 weeks, that can change things on a day to day basis, so keep that in mind.

TTOOLL

My routine is DESTROYING me and I'm feeling really hungry. No actual pain aside some little discomfort in my right thigh, in a very specific point btw. I've been gaining weight, hope it's not only fat...

BumRush

My routine is DESTROYING me and I'm feeling really hungry. No actual pain aside some little discomfort in my right thigh, in a very specific point btw. I've been gaining weight, hope it's not only fat...

What is your goal? Gain weight? How much?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I'm the same boat. Recently made my own template of lifts and events. I'm sore as shit and constantly hungry. Basically it follows like this.

Day 1 squat
Day 2 event day - carries

Day 3 off

Day 4 bench
Day 5 event day - sandbag/stone loads

Day 6 off

Day 7 deadlift
Day 8 event day - yoke walk

Day 9 off

Day 10 overhead/log press
Day 11 event medley

Day 12 off

All lifting days are done by feel and the goal is to hit a rep or max PR.

BumRush

I'm the same boat. Recently made my own template of lifts and events. I'm sore as shit and constantly hungry. Basically it follows like this.

Day 1 squat
Day 2 event day - carries

Day 3 off

Day 4 bench
Day 5 event day - sandbag/stone loads

Day 6 off

Day 7 deadlift
Day 8 event day - yoke walk

Day 9 off

Day 10 overhead/log press
Day 11 event medley

Day 12 off

All lifting days are done by feel and the goal is to hit a rep or max PR.

Brolic, when you do a compound day, how many sets do you do? Do you do any auxiliary exercises?

I suffer with it in my wrists from time to time and the only answer for me has been fairly meaningful doses of NSAID and rest.

I forgot to ask, but how long does it take before you feel 100% with your wrists? And how often does it come back? Preparing to live with this crap if I can't rehab my tendinitis to 100%.

I forgot to ask, but how long does it take before you feel 100% with your wrists? And how often does it come back? Preparing to live with this crap if I can't rehab my tendinitis to 100%.

I'm fairly lucky in that I only get it maybe a couple of times a year. Takes probably a week or two to go, mostly because I hit it hard as soon as I notice even the slightest tingle.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brolic, when you do a compound day, how many sets do you do? Do you do any auxiliary exercises?

Usually work up to what ever rep max I'm attempting and if I get it I move on to an assistance movement. If I dont, I'll drop back and go for a new rep PR (at a lighter weight and higher reps)then move on. If I have time I'll do a supplementary movement after assistance, but it's not mandatory.

BumRush

Usually work up to what ever rep max I'm attempting and if I get it I move on to an assistance movement. If I dont, I'll drop back and go for a new rep PR (at a lighter weight and higher reps)then move on. If I have time I'll do a supplementary movement after assistance, but it's not mandatory.

And on average, that'll take you around an hour and a half? Our physiques are completely different - as are our goals - but you're a huge motivational tool so I'm just always curious as to how much time you put into it on a daily basis.

Also, you really make me want to eat fast food and cake.

Chocobro

Shout out to the dude doing deadlifts in .75 squat shoes. You aren't as smart as you think you are.

That directed at me?
Yeah, whatchu mean? My friend and I DL in oly shoes. Although I just switched back to Chuck Taylors last workout.
2 weeks is a good frame of reference. You'll know where you are at by then, just be strict the whole 2 weeks. If you are lifting that 2 weeks, that can change things on a day to day basis, so keep that in mind.
I see. I went to the gym twice last week and I'm going to go twice this week, and will continue to do so as long as I'm doing my internship, so maybe at the end of this week is a good indication. I was strict, stuck with it. Got the cooking and everything down.

It's just the first week here, I messed up a bit. Plus work had free catering food for the week of orientation. I happened to lose weight during that time. I was 150# morning weight before I moved, after peeing and pooping and only in my boxer briefs. Two weeks ago I weighed myself at the gym, with my gym clothes on and shoes off, after having breakfast, lifting, and drinking a lot of water and I was 146.5#.

TTOOLL

What is your goal? Gain weight? How much?

Yes, I intend to gain around 4 kilos by the end of February, but I may gain more if things continue this way....

My routine today:

FitNotes Workout - Thursday 22nd January 2015

** Running (Treadmill) **
- 1.5 km in 10:00

** Fitness Ball Back Extension **
- 3 reps

** The Hundred ** (Pilates exercise)
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

** Deadlift **
- 110.23 lbs x 5 reps
- 110.23 lbs x 5 reps
- 132.28 lbs x 5 reps [PR]

** Pull Up **
- 6 reps
- 4 reps
- 4 reps

** Bent Over Row ** (tried for the first time today)
- 44.09 lbs x 5 reps
- 66.14 lbs x 5 reps
- 88.18 lbs x 5 reps [PR]

** Lunge ** (with dumbbells)
- 61.73 lbs x 5 reps
- 61.73 lbs x 5 reps
- 61.73 lbs x 5 reps

** Fitness Ball Hip Raise And Curl **
- 20 reps
- 20 reps
- 20 reps

** Knee Raise **
- 4.41 lbs x 30 reps
- 8.82 lbs x 30 reps [PR]
- 8.82 lbs x 30 reps

Suggestions on a good place to get Quest Bars that accepts food stamps / EBT? So far my best idea is to order cases from Publix for $30/pop. If GNC accepted EBT I'd be all over their membership price, but they don't :-/

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
And on average, that'll take you around an hour and a half? Our physiques are completely different - as are our goals - but you're a huge motivational tool so I'm just always curious as to how much time you put into it on a daily basis.

Also, you really make me want to eat fast food and cake.

Yeah about that. Compound days can take 1 to 1:30 and event days are typically 30-45 min.
And thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

TTOOLL

Hey man, not bad, but you might be doing too much! I'd do 4-5 sets of dead lifts (instead of three) and more heavy back movements and maybe stop doing cardio if you're trying to gain weight.

These 10 minutes of cardio are just a warm-up, I enjoy doing them and I get pumped to start my routine =)
Maybe I'm doing a little bit much, but it's because I work my legs too. DL, pull up and row are the demanding ones actually. It takes around 50 minutes to finish with the cardio.

Eklipsis

Ugh leg day... walking out of the gym on upper day feeling like a boss, walking out of the gym on leg day feeling like a drunk duck.

ILoveBish

Yeah, whatchu mean? My friend and I DL in oly shoes. Although I just switched back to Chuck Taylors last workout.

I see. I went to the gym twice last week and I'm going to go twice this week, and will continue to do so as long as I'm doing my internship, so maybe at the end of this week is a good indication. I was strict, stuck with it. Got the cooking and everything down.

It's just the first week here, I messed up a bit. Plus work had free catering food for the week of orientation. I happened to lose weight during that time. I was 150# morning weight before I moved, after peeing and pooping and only in my boxer briefs. Two weeks ago I weighed myself at the gym, with my gym clothes on and shoes off, after having breakfast, lifting, and drinking a lot of water and I was 146.5#.

I do all my lifts in oly shoes also. The deadlift in particular feels great with it. And I worked out in chucks for over a year.

And you poor thing, losing weight so easily. Damn you.

BumRush

These 10 minutes of cardio are just a warm-up, I enjoy doing them and I get pumped to start my routine =)
Maybe I'm doing a little bit much, but it's because I work my legs too. DL, pull up and row are the demanding ones actually. It takes around 50 minutes to finish with the cardio.

How many days a week do you lift?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
That's the same sort of bollocks that has people saying that coffee dehydrates you. Assuming your pre-workout shake actually contains more than a 3 to 1 ratio of water to powder (and good luck drinking it if it's less), there's no chance of it dehydrating you... unless you're spiking it with salt for some reason.

You should definitely be drinking plenty of water before working out though.

On the subject of back injuries... I pull muscles in mine all the time. Never lifting though, when doing general crap, which is even more frustrating. NSAID, ice, rest... and time. =/

I've actually done this several times before, over the course of about five years.

First time, I was hammering posts into the ground with a 2-handle post hammer...the next morning after I woke up, my lumbar was so swollen, it was cutting off my sciatic nerves, essentially making my legs feel numb, and I was given the whole steroid shot, muscle relaxer shot, then the stim pack, muscle relaxers, and pain med.

Second time, I was playing ice hockey. I didn't stretch before getting on the ice, and all I did was get ready for the puck to drop and barely bent over forward at the waist and bam, it happened again...this time it was worse, I had to goto the ER and get the shots again. This was so bad, I was actually having muscle spasms, but the shots and meds helped it go away.

Third time was bench pressing. I was lifting the bar, not too heavy of weight, about 135, and my right hamstring cramped. I placed the bar back on the rack and sat up and extended my right leg out to get rid of the cramp...and it happened again.

Fourth time was squatting in the garage moving stuff around.

Fifth time was yesterday morning at the gym, squatting down after doing one set of leg press, to adjust the seat.

Of course all of these incidents, I didn't stretch prior to doing the activity.

:(

I imagine that's why it doesn't happen to me when lifting. I'm pretty careful about warming up. Not stretching so much, but doing light work and getting the blood pumping before hitting the heavier weights. I get it in my calves all the time, scares the shit out of me as my last major calf cramp was a significant factor in DVT I got a couple of days later.

You might find these interesting / useful:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/phys-ed-can-pickle-juice-stop-muscle-cramps/
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/whats-causing-my-muscles-to-cram.html/

There was a massive analysis on one of the sites I read on it too, but I can't find it right now. Will have a look later or tomorrow.

(I tried vinegar yesterday when my calf started heading towards cramp, it definitely took the edge off)

Eklipsis

I get calf cramps a lot while sleeping...I was told that it may be cause from dehydration, which may be true cause I never used to drink water

TTOOLL

How many days a week do you lift?

5, I have two routines, this is what I did yesterday:

FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 21st January 2015

** Running (Treadmill) **
- 10:00

** Shoulder Protocol ** (gentle shoulder exercise, no weight)
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Plank **
- 3 reps

** Side Plank **
- 3 reps

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **
- 88.18 lbs x 5 reps
- 88.18 lbs x 5 reps
- 88.18 lbs x 5 reps

** Incline Dumbbell Fly **
- 70.55 lbs x 5 reps
- 70.55 lbs x 5 reps
- 70.55 lbs x 5 reps

** Bench Triceps Dip **
- 20 reps
- 20 reps
- 15 reps

** Barbell Squat **
- 132.28 lbs x 5 reps
- 132.28 lbs x 5 reps
- 132.28 lbs x 5 reps

** Crunch **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

I get calf cramps a lot while sleeping...I was told that it may be cause from dehydration, which may be true cause I never used to drink water

Anecdotal but since I've upped my water intake I haven't had one cramp. Not one at any point of the day, no matter what I was doing.

J. Bravo

I had one after a night of heavy heavy drinking that woke me out of my deep, log like, alcoholic slumber. It hurt so bad at the time. And the next day it still hurt lol. That's the only one I've ever had tho. I drink a ton of water.

BumRush

Second Workout

Again, pretty solid but maybe too much! Squat / Bench / DL should be the focus of your workout if you're trying to gain weight / muscle so I'd do 5 sets of those. Also, add OHP. Otherwise, looks good and 5 days a week is solid. Let us know you're progress, and good luck!

Where are you getting numbers like 88.18 lbs from? The 18/100ths of a pound part, I mean.

Not sure about his routine but mine will often spit out numbers like this and I round up to the next 5/10. So on my plan 88.18 would be 90. This is just a guess that his routine is similar to mine in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom