• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I'm starting to wonder how on earth anyone clean bulks when they're on more than 3.5k calories. I pretty much ate continuously today and barely scraped my target.

Going to have to turn to pizza and cake soon!

Haha yeah I can't imagine that being easy.

Brolic, how many calories a day do you take in?

Chocobro

For you guys deadlifting raw, do you hook grip? I feel I'm nearing the limit of my grip strength with a conventional grip. I think I'll work on my grip strength regardless.
I'm still using double overhand because I'm still a beginner. But I plan on using hook grip when my grip can't keep up; mostly because you usually use hook grip in weightlifting, but I guess I can use chalk at that point. My grip strength is pretty decent since I always go for static holds at the end of my DLs.
Hi Fit-GAF.

I've had a very bad posture for most of my life and i'm trying to fix it before starting to work out "normally" again. Here are my current issues:

1. Forward shoulders: I started doing a month ago some exercises to strengthen my back, in order to bring my shoulders backward. Right now I'm working on strengthening my lower traps (Prone Y exercise) and my serratus anterior (scap push-ups). I'm also doing some bent over rows for my rhomboids, and flies for my mid traps. It's helping, a lot actually! I'm seeing pretty good results, but I have another problem:

2. Straight thoracic spine. Back exercises usually involve bringing back your scapula. But my thoracic spine is already very straight, and this can't be very good. Is there a way to fix the curve with some exercises/daily stretches? I'm already doing the "cat stretch" but it's obviously not enough. I'm also trying to start breathing normally again (using the diaphragm instead of chest breathing, although it's tough as hell to change), which is supposed to help mobilize the thoracic area.

3. Last issue: anterior pelvic tilt. For this i've been working on lengthening the hip flexors and strengthening my glutes. I think it's been working fine so far.

Any hints/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

My Evernote link in the OP has some links for the first one and maybe the second one. Are you trying to increase your thoracic spine mobility? I'm currently fixing #3 even though it's not that noticeable. More of a precaution thing. Lots of hip flexor stretches and glute and hip exercises.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Just smashed two mcdoubles, a mc chicken, jalapeño kettle chips and a glass of tea. Going to get a Klondike bar and glass of milk.

#diabetus.

More than necessary. Enough to dominate.

Got that shit on lock!

My man, if I could internet high five I would.

We will die young but we will die STRONG.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wasn't feeling deadlifts tonight. I was aiming for 485x3x3 but cut it short at 485x3 and 485x2. For some reason the warmups getting to my work sets of 405x3 and 455x3 really took it out of me. These days do happen every now and then. Of course it didn't help that I realized I forgot my knee sleeves about half way to the gym and decided not to turn around and get them.

Yea my thinking as well. First night is tonight and I am kinda nervous. Gonna try and not over do it since I haven't been to a gym since November... I remember once jumping into a routine at LA Fitness with a trainer and I was so sore I could literally not get out of bed the next day.

If you're not sore after the first time, you're doing it wrong. :p
A new sport always challenges your body in ways never previously imaginable.

ILoveBish

Work was so busy, couldnt hit the gym today. Hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to go and find a free rack to do OHP. Otherwise it will have to be bench. BTW, realized today that my combined Bench/Deadlift/Squat is 1100lbs for my 1rm's and i turn 37 this year. Really a lot more confident then i've ever been. Hopefully i sleep well today and can fix my sleep schedule. This is the year all the good stuff starts happening, and its been very good so far.

Also, returned my XL Compression shirt i got from target because its now loose and not compressing me anymore, and every single size large is sold out! Been to 4 targets, all sold out. I dont want to blame the new years resolutionists, but i might have to. I might have to go to a normal fitness place and just bite the bullet and pay a little extra. Oh and for the first time ever, i fit into size 34 pants! Keep in mind i weighed in at 246.5lbs this morning, at 5'11, so thats pretty amazing. Slowly but surely, we getting there.

Wolfe

For you guys deadlifting raw, do you hook grip? I feel I'm nearing the limit of my grip strength with a conventional grip. I think I'll work on my grip strength regardless.

I'm gonna keep rocking overhand grip with mixed grip mixed in whenever necessary. Granted I'm not even that high in weight yet so who knows how long I'll be able to stick with mostly overhand. Hook grip always makes me feel uneasy so I avoid it.

Didn't eat much today...time to make up for it.

08M2tBy.jpg

Damn dude, I was just at walmart picking up some milk and they had a McD's inside that was still open... if only I had some spare cash at the time.

Szu

So, the resolutioners are at my gym in full swing now.

On the positive side, I did see quite a few Asians. Mostly of them were aimlessly trying out random machines. Some actually were actually looking at me. It's like they didn't realize we are made in this size.

Well, if they're willing to stick it out maybe they can learn a few things. Then, I can embrace my comrades so that we can take over and topple these capitalist scum.

Edit: Oops, I think my account got hacked by North Koreans.

danthefan

So did my first set of squats this morning and have really hurt my knee. I had a bit of an issue with it before and the squats seem to have hurt it again. Really bummed out, had to stop right away. Going to have to go to the physio or doctor :(

sphinx

the piano man
yesterday the 20 minute wait to use the squat rack was because two guys were taking turns to do shrugs.

the whole time I was like "can't you use dumbells for that?",

using the squat rack for that at peak hours for shrugs isn't good etiquette in my opinion.

So did my first set of squats this morning and have really hurt my knee. I had a bit of an issue with it before and the squats seem to have hurt it again. Really bummed out, had to stop right away. Going to have to go to the physio or doctor :(

it's serious business, that's why I am taking forever to up the weight on those.

I wish you a quick recovery. Many injuries are smaller than they appear or feel and go after a week, hopefully it's one of those.

On a random note, I'm noticing that as my traps / shoulders are getting bigger, v-neck stuff is starting to look quite flattering. There's something to this bulking stuff.

/checks self out in mirror.
/holds in stomach

Kickz

If you're not sore after the first time, you're doing it wrong. :p
A new sport always challenges your body in ways never previously imaginable.

Good points, we did a light walk through yesterday along with 15 min cardio and I am already sore right now. Tonight is supposed to be a nonstop 60 min cardio blitz, I think I'll be a mess afterward lol.

GrapeApes

Wasn't feeling deadlifts tonight. I was aiming for 485x3x3 but cut it short at 485x3 and 485x2. For some reason the warmups getting to my work sets of 405x3 and 455x3 really took it out of me. These days do happen every now and then. Of course it didn't help that I realized I forgot my knee sleeves about half way to the gym and decided not to turn around and get them.
You using them as a shin guard, right? I'm so used to using them after squats it's really hard for me to deadlift without them. They're like headphones for me. If I forgot them you best believe I'm driving my ass back home to retrieve them.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
260 1x5 for me last night on deadlift. My hands were screaming at me, but that last rep came straight up from a dead stop so I'm happy. I'm loving these deadlift gains while I'm having issues on other lifts.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
In regards to my grip strength I read about 'white knuckling' and its definitely helped. Guess I was being kind of lazy with really grabbing the bar or weights. I'll try this out for the deadlift and see what happens.

Sounds very promising...
Are you planning to show them off by any chance?

lol oh I definitely will

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Good points, we did a light walk through yesterday along with 15 min cardio and I am already sore right now. Tonight is supposed to be a nonstop 60 min cardio blitz, I think I'll be a mess afterward lol.

If you're a straight beginner like you say you are, your trainer is an idiot. You shouldn't be crippled sore and you definitely shouldn't be doing "60 minute cardio blitz." You should be on a slow build up to get your body acclimated to actually working out.

J. Bravo

Maybe you guys can help me. I want to start going to sleep by midnight and getting up between 7 and 9. What are some helpful sleep aids (redundant?)? I have sleepy time tea, weed, and melatonin.

I could get some ambien from my friend if those help regulate your sleep schedule. Just a couple to get it back on track then I would stop using them.

Really just curious how you guys sleep. I'm a night owl, and it doesn't help I mostly work 2-10.

BumRush

Maybe you guys can help me. I want to start going to sleep by midnight and getting up between 7 and 9. What are some helpful sleep aids (redundant?)? I have sleepy time tea, weed, and melatonin.

I could get some ambien from my friend if those help regulate your sleep schedule. Just a couple to get it back on track then I would stop using them.

Really just curious how you guys sleep. I'm a night owl, and it doesn't help I mostly work 2-10.

Do you go to a 24-hour gym? I would go straight there after work, do a decent 45 minute - 1 hour workout, come home, have a protein shake and relax. Have tea, read a book, stay away from electronics because they will keep you up. Also, try to go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time every day, regardless of weekday / weekend / etc. You'll get used to it.

260 1x5 for me last night on deadlift. My hands were screaming at me, but that last rep came straight up from a dead stop so I'm happy. I'm loving these deadlift gains while I'm having issues on other lifts.

What lifts are you having issues with?

Bowser

I'm a bit night owl myself, tend to go to sleep between midnight and 1:00am and wake up at 8:00-8:30am. It works fine for me.

Here's an article I found useful on how to "prime" yourself for sleep: https://hbr.org/2014/11/how-to-spend-the-last-10-minutes-of-your-day

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I work the same schedule. Just go to bed when youre wanting to go to bed. Eventually you will set your schedule.

You shouldnt need drugs to sleep, especially if you're working out.

Really just curious how you guys sleep.

Far too much lately. I used to sleep four hours a night, but these days 7 is pushing it. All the exercise really takes it out of me, but what's more annoying is that I always have loads of energy until I basically force myself to go to sleep. So I have trouble falling asleep some nights.

Only stuff I've ever used that worked was Nytol, which apparently contains diphenhydramine hydrochloride.

rub one out?

this_guy

Does anyone here do intermittent fasting? I'm trying to change up my diet as well as the timing of my meals. Does anyone work out on an empty stomach? I'm thinking about working out in a fasted state to see if it will help with fat burning.

theytookourjobz

Does anyone here do intermittent fasting? I'm trying to change up my diet as well as the timing of my meals. Does anyone work out on an empty stomach? I'm thinking about working out in a fasted state to see if it will help with fat burning.

I don't eat my first meal until noon usually and I've got plenty of energy. I'll usually have some BCAAs and coffee in the morning if I lift early.

Did some deficit deads this afternoon. Went up to 395.

http://youtu.be/84ZNJZLsZ-0

CrankyJay

Banned

I think a few guys here do, including Cooter (correct me if I'm wrong)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Oddly enough, i do. Lol. But I sip Gatorade during my workout.

Eklipsis

I stop eating usually around 730pm then don't eat again until after my workout the next day at around noon.... occasionally ill eat later at night depending on my dinner that day

Not sure whether working out in a fasted state will necessarily help more, but I've read about diets where extreme fasting is helpful. Essentially eating only in something like an 8 hour window during the day. Personally, I drink a smoothie for breakfast at 9 a.m. and eat my last meal of the day at 6 p.m., and I've had great results from that (along with eliminating most junk from my diet as well).

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

Bench Press: I've been getting chest cramps while trying for higher weight. I think better hydration throughout the day might help with this.

Squat: Sudden loss of about 20 lbs on my sets. Can't tell if this is because of scar tissue popping in calf, weight belt change, illness (undiagnosed fatigue issues), more focus on pushing knees out in warmups or what.

Press: It's just stalled. I might have to do a reset here.

Deadlift and power clean have both seen steady gains lately, so I'm not panicking or anything.

Cooter

I think a few guys here do, including Cooter (correct me if I'm wrong)
You are correct. Most of my life I'm on an IF schedule except for when I'm purposely trying to add size. A typical day for me is fasting to about 5 or so. I will drink lots of water during the day and workout around 4:00 on roughly a 18 hour fast. It takes some getting used to but your body adapts and energy is not an issue. I've hit some PRs on such a fast so I do not believe strength is being compromised. An example of this was my 3x body weight deadlift I did this summer. That lift was on a 18 hour fast. After the gym it's go time and I get all 2,200-2,500 calories in that 5 hour window. For someone like myself who prefers large portions, IF is a godsend.

this_guy

Thanks for all the responses regarding intermittent fasting. Since energy is not an issue once you adjust it sounds like it's worth trying.

CrankyJay

Banned
You are correct. Most of my life I'm on an IF schedule except for when I'm purposely trying to add size. A typical day for me is fasting to about 5 or so. I will drink lots of water during the day and workout around 4:00 on roughly a 18 hour fast. It takes some getting used to but your body adapts and energy is not an issue. I've hit some PRs on such a fast so I do not believe strength is being compromised. An example of this was my 3x body weight deadlift I did this summer. That lift was on a 18 hour fast. After the gym it's go time and I get all 2,200-2,500 calories in that 5 hour window. For someone like myself who prefers large portions, IF is a godsend.

I could probably swing this myself except for the workout times...which sort of eliminates the purpose in my mind.

J. Bravo

Do you go to a 24-hour gym? I would go straight there after work, do a decent 45 minute - 1 hour workout, come home, have a protein shake and relax. Have tea, read a book, stay away from electronics because they will keep you up. Also, try to go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time every day, regardless of weekday / weekend / etc. You'll get used to it.

I'm a bit night owl myself, tend to go to sleep between midnight and 1:00am and wake up at 8:00-8:30am. It works fine for me.

Here's an article I found useful on how to "prime" yourself for sleep: https://hbr.org/2014/11/how-to-spend-the-last-10-minutes-of-your-day
Thanks guys. I think it's mostly what brolic said, and I just need to buckle down. I'm lacking certain amounts of discipline in my life and this would be a good way to alleviate that.
I work the same schedule. Just go to bed when youre wanting to go to bed. Eventually you will set your schedule.

You shouldnt need drugs to sleep, especially if you're working out.

Far too much lately. I used to sleep four hours a night, but these days 7 is pushing it. All the exercise really takes it out of me, but what's more annoying is that I always have loads of energy until I basically force myself to go to sleep. So I have trouble falling asleep some nights.

Only stuff I've ever used that worked was Nytol, which apparently contains diphenhydramine hydrochloride.
I can function on 4 but it really sucks. and I'm still in school and working 40 hours a week so that also sucks. But that's life.
rub one out?
I do this already :p

BumRush

Bench Press: I've been getting chest cramps while trying for higher weight. I think better hydration throughout the day might help with this.

Squat: Sudden loss of about 20 lbs on my sets. Can't tell if this is because of scar tissue popping in calf, weight belt change, illness (undiagnosed fatigue issues), more focus on pushing knees out in warmups or what.

Press: It's just stalled. I might have to do a reset here.

Deadlift and power clean have both seen steady gains lately, so I'm not panicking or anything.

Video yourself doing each of these. It could be form, it could be that your weight jumps have been too great for each exercise (how often are you increasing weight for each? how much weight?), it could be that you're not eating enough calories / drinking enough liquid for what you're aiming to do.

I do (Leangains). My first meal (and biggest) is timed for right after my workout. I have 10g of BCAAs in with water half an hour before the workout (supposedly reduces chance of muscle loss).

I'm not convinced it's done anything for my body composition though. But it does have other advantages.

I'm doing IF, and generally like working out on an empty stomach. Tried it both ways and all it really comes down to is preference. I'll also say that it doesn't help with fat burning either way, so working out fasted purely for the sake of fat burning is not the way to go.

Fasted workouts, in terms of performance realistically just affects endurance. Long bouts of cardio or HIIT won't be your friend in this case (although that can be said for most people on a cut lol). There's no real strength loss for lifts (I actually lift worse even 2h after feeding), and recovery between sets ranges depending on body fat levels I find. I usually have a serving of BCAAs pre-workout if I'm fasted, I find that makes a big difference.

Hope that helps you out.

ILoveBish

I'm doing if now, but I like to work out after I eat. Large meal with lots of protein will give me a insulin spike, then hit the gym and use that for energy. Then I have my shake with creatine, then eat cake when I get home from work, last meal is usually 530 to 630pm, I eat around 1130 to noon for first meal of day. Hit the gym at 1pm.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Finally figured it out. 200lb sandbag is no longer the bane of my existence. Now to work up and move on. 200lb bag for two trips of 75ft and suitcase carries at 132lbs for 75foot each hand (did 4 total). This thing has been kicking my ass for so long.

http://youtu.be/v3h3a11PSGA

bchamba

hey fitgaf, new to this thread. I'm competiting in my first mock meet on the 31st. Been powerlifting for about 4 months and hoping for a 1130+ total.

Szu

Nice. You're going to be the go to guy for dealing with dead bodies. :D

That exactly what I've been thinking every time I see him lifting, carrying, and tossing those sandbags.

Too bad he doesn't have the axe murderer beard anymore to complete the look.

Cooter

hey fitgaf, new to this thread. I'm competiting in my first mock meet on the 31st. Been powerlifting for about 4 months and hoping for a 1130+ total.
Welcome. What exactly is a mock meet? Who will you be competing against? Hopefully people of like size.

bchamba

Welcome. What exactly is a mock meet? Who will you be completing against? Hopefully people of like size.

It's not an officially sanctioned powerlifting meet so it's just called a mock meet. I figured this would be good to get me prepared for an actual meet. If you're unfamiliar with powerlifting meets in general, it consists of the squat, bench press, and deadlift in that order. You get 3 attempts for each lift. Your total is the combined weight of your max in each movement. For me I think I can work up to a 380+ squat, 300 bench, and 450+ deadlift.

There are weight classes for meets so yea people of a similar size. I'm currently 208 and the weight class I'd like to compete in is 205 but seeing that it's not a real meet I won't feel bad if I don't make the cut and have to compete in the 230 class.

Kickz

If you're a straight beginner like you say you are, your trainer is an idiot. You shouldn't be crippled sore and you definitely shouldn't be doing "60 minute cardio blitz." You should be on a slow build up to get your body acclimated to actually working out.

He did say to take it easy, and to take breaks at anytime while the rest of the class keeps going. So I think its a go by feel thing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That exactly what I've been thinking every time I see him lifting, carrying, and tossing those sandbags.

Too bad he doesn't have the axe murderer beard anymore to complete the look.

Oh, and here's a fairly good IF / leangains FAQ if you want more info: http://rippedbody.jp/faq/

..and the original leangains guide, which is a bit light on detail: http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Nice. You're going to be the go to guy for dealing with dead bodies. :D

You guys are silly.

It's not an officially sanctioned powerlifting meet so it's just called a mock meet. I figured this would be good to get me prepared for an actual meet. If you're unfamiliar with powerlifting meets in general, it consists of the squat, bench press, and deadlift in that order. You get 3 attempts for each lift. Your total is the combined weight of your max in each movement. For me I think I can work up to a 380+ squat, 300 bench, and 450+ deadlift.

There are weight classes for meets so yea people of a similar size. I'm currently 208 and the weight class I'd like to compete in is 205 but seeing that it's not a real meet I won't feel bad if I don't make the cut and have to compete in the 230 class.

Lol. He knows what a PL meet is. And that's more of an exibitionary/unsanctioned meet. A "mock meet" is entirely fake and usually something you will do in training to see where you are prior to a meet or the end of a training cycle.

He did say to take it easy, and to take breaks at anytime while the rest of the class keeps going. So I think its a go by feel thing.

As a beginner you won't know what "take it easy" even means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom