• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiz_95

Bart Kwan uses bands in some of his workouts. He uses orange bands. Buy them from EliteFTS. See if you can find some people who are interesting in buying some items from EliteFTS or just buy more bands because the shipping is just stupid expensive (especially for one item) back when I bought bands last Thanksgiving '13; I was lucky enough to have two other friends that wanted to buy bands so we split the shipping to around $3-3.25/person. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBvOPZhXHVY Feel free to look at his other (deadlift) videos. He also uses the orange bands for banded speed squats.

I understand he's doing sumo DLs, but the general idea is there. If you want, you can buy the red bands too and try both red and orange. The red one is good for general rehab and mobility. Might as well get it IMO.

I'm not married, but I don't think anyone should be wearing a ring in the gym when lifting. Take it off.

Thanks for the reply, I only want one pair since they're not that cheap and don't have much money as a student lol. Not gonna by from EliteFTS, shipping to the UK is ridiculously expensive.

As a beginner you won't know what "take it easy" even means.

Ha. Pretty much. I remember doing a martial arts class about 15 years ago where I pushed myself so hard that I spent 10 mins throwing up at the end of it, tore a muscle through cramp and ended up with Hyponatremia.

Thanks for the reply, I only want one pair since they're not that cheap and don't have much money as a student lol. Not gonna by from EliteFTS, shipping to the UK is ridiculously expensive.

I don't know if they're the sort of bands you're after, but I've been using these for years now and they're rock solid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0026JOS4W/

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's not an officially sanctioned powerlifting meet so it's just called a mock meet. I figured this would be good to get me prepared for an actual meet. If you're unfamiliar with powerlifting meets in general, it consists of the squat, bench press, and deadlift in that order. You get 3 attempts for each lift. Your total is the combined weight of your max in each movement. For me I think I can work up to a 380+ squat, 300 bench, and 450+ deadlift.

There are weight classes for meets so yea people of a similar size. I'm currently 208 and the weight class I'd like to compete in is 205 but seeing that it's not a real meet I won't feel bad if I don't make the cut and have to compete in the 230 class.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with PL meets. I wasn't sure if mock meet meant you and your friends got together and hit the big three or if it was something different entirely. Good luck! Report back the results.

____

Got asked one of my favorite questions a bit ago. Ran into a guy I haven't seen in months and he drops the, "shit dude, are you on steroids?" Haha Winter bulk is moving along right on schedule.

SeanR1221

Got asked one of my favorite questions a bit ago. Ran into a guy I haven't seen in months and he drops the, "shit dude, are you on steroids?" Haha Winter bulk is moving along right on schedule.

Only my mom has ever asked if Im on steroids :/

Some day a non family member will.. Some day....

Gonna go out on a limb and assume he was doing BB style training before.

Ah good point. Hadn't thought of that.

bchamba

Gonna go out on a limb and assume he was doing BB style training before.

Yea I recently started taking the gym seriously again 2 years ago and for the first 1.5 years was doing a bodybuilding split. When I decided I wanted to focus on strength I did a 5x5 for a couple months to nail down my form on each lift and then started running a conjugate split.

ILoveBish

Hit the gym and got 175 on ohp easy, could have went for more but don't want to go too fast again, this deload is making me feel anxious to go back heavy.

Trucking along.

One day I'll be accused of being on steroids, I just know it. When's gonna be that day :(

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
No chance of that happening to me. Unless someone is being sarcastic of course. :D

Do guys on steroids get big just by hanging around the cable machines BS'ing? I guess I just never see their mysterious trips over to the power rack.

BumRush said:
Video yourself doing each of these. It could be form, it could be that your weight jumps have been too great for each exercise (how often are you increasing weight for each? how much weight?), it could be that you're not eating enough calories / drinking enough liquid for what you're aiming to do

I'll start putting together some videos at tomorrow's session. Weight jumps are 5lbs up after reaching set x rep target of 3x5 on those exercises.

As far as eating enough, I just installed the myFitnessPal app to start tracking calories and aim for 1 lb increase in weight per week instead of the bigger fluctuations I've been having. Water I need to do a better job on, considering taking creatine for even more impetus to keep drinking water.

sphinx

the piano man
I've never been truly accused of steroids but I get a lot of suggestions on how or why or when I should try them on the dating sites I've used (you can search for muscle guys) and it's like a given around certain circles.

and since I tend to like size, and approach big guys to learn from them, the steroid thing is quite common.

Need to grab another 900 or so kcal and 45g of protein in the next hour and I just can't be bothered eating. Tempted to grab a protein drink and just eat a bunch of crisps (chips).

Sort of wishing I had icecream here, but sort of glad I don't.

Hilti92

Hey guys, just wondering.. I'm currently on an off day in my program but want to go to the gym anyway to work abs and forearms. Is it a bad idea? I'm doing the PHAT routine if that helps.. Supposed to go 5 days on, 2 off.

So what you're saying is that you want to ignore your program? Might be an idea, though it might be an idea to stick with it too... or just do a bunch of random stuff and see how it works out for you. :p

That sounded more jokey in my head!

Hilti92

So what you're saying is that you want to ignore your program? Might be an idea, though it might be an idea to stick with it too... or just do a bunch of random stuff and see how it works out for you. :p

That sounded more jokey in my head!

I'm not trying to ignore it, I just feel that it's not working my abs hard enough and my forearms need catching up. And from what I hear, they both repair quite quickly and you can work them almost each day.

On the flip side, if you overwork them, you'll impact pretty much every other lift you do. Nothing like a sore / weakened core to mess you up on the bigger compound stuff.

Hilti92

On the flip side, if you overwork them, you'll impact pretty much every other lift you do. Nothing like a sore / weakened core to mess you up on the bigger compound stuff.

Cool, thanks for your advice. I'll stay home for the night. I just enjoy going to the gym lately, lol.

Rest days can be plenty frustrating, but they're usually there for a reason. There are programs without them of course, but they're generally pretty specifically designed... and more often than not more suitable for the chemically assisted.

Sadetar

I am so glad I am meeting with my physiotherapist this Friday. Before the whole herniated disk I could easily have my whole palm to the ground with straight legs. Today at pilates class I noticed I can't even touch my knees without knife-kind pain. I have been stretching every single day. I think I will ask proper instructions to use my foam roller daily. So frustrating.

I'm a bit night owl myself, tend to go to sleep between midnight and 1:00am and wake up at 8:00-8:30am. It works fine for me.

Here's an article I found useful on how to "prime" yourself for sleep: https://hbr.org/2014/11/how-to-spend-the-last-10-minutes-of-your-day
That sounds so early to me... I have lately gone to bed around 5-7 am and my whole schedule is totally fucked up. Dammit. I should really get things back on track and start writing that graduating thesis. The idea of just sitting in front of a computer for like 8-10 hours a day doesn't sound too fascinating.

lol oh I definitely will
Hahah, I take that as a promise. :p

Slowly but surely, we getting there.
Your progress and dedication is always a pleasure to hear from! ^_^

So awesome! I am also thinking should I try keto for a week or two just to get myself from craving sweet things. You still have energy to hit the gym, if I remember correctly?

I don't eat my first meal until noon usually and I've got plenty of energy. I'll usually have some BCAAs and coffee in the morning if I lift early.

Did some deficit deads this afternoon. Went up to 395.

http://youtu.be/84ZNJZLsZ-0
Hahah. Oh my gods. I have seen numerous vids of you, but I am every time so surprised - I don't know why I always associate you to look like your avatar. :p

Really, you are a gorgeous beast.

Hahha, that is a pleasure to hear. :D

ILoveBish

Your progress and dedication is always a pleasure to hear from! ^_^

So awesome! I am also thinking should I try keto for a week or two just to get myself from craving sweet things. You still have energy to hit the gym, if I remember correctly?

I have tons of energy for the gym, but I am fully keto adapted. It can take weeks to months depending on the person. So my body now uses fat stored on my body for fuel when it runs it, it's amazing.

I may have asked this before, but does anyone else here get a very slight headache when they have a whey protein drink? It's a really minor pain, but it's quite off putting and makes me want to avoid why protein as a general rule.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
7000cals 500g protein contains 1.5kg beef

nom nom nom

ypZP5pq.jpg

I was really struggling to work out what that was. At first I thought it might have been some sort of lasagne, but I've never seen one done with sweetcorn. Never seen cottage pie with sweetcorn either, but I guess that's how you heathen Americans do it. :p

Still sort of looks like pasta sheet / cheese on the top though!

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still using double overhand because I'm still a beginner. But I plan on using hook grip when my grip can't keep up; mostly because you usually use hook grip in weightlifting, but I guess I can use chalk at that point. My grip strength is pretty decent since I always go for static holds at the end of my DLs.

My Evernote link in the OP has some links for the first one and maybe the second one. Are you trying to increase your thoracic spine mobility? I'm currently fixing #3 even though it's not that noticeable. More of a precaution thing. Lots of hip flexor stretches and glute and hip exercises.

I'm mostly trying to get a normal curve back in my thoracic spine area, since it's too flat

Sadetar

I have tons of energy for the gym, but I am fully keto adapted. It can take weeks to months depending on the person. So my body now uses fat stored on my body for fuel when it runs it, it's amazing.
I might look a bit more into it before trying it out. I am just so lazy to count and weight things... I need to do some small calculations and see what I could fit in and think is it worth it. :p

7000cals 500g protein contains 1.5kg beef

nom nom nom

ypZP5pq.jpg
Now I just need to ask this: How many days are you going to eat that?
It can't be one day thing, right?

My new shirts arrived and I had to throw this up for Spiritreaver
...Damn sweetie. That looks incredible hot on your body. The bulk has been gently on you. :p

Why I don't look even half that good on my compression shirt...

What's the "S" stand for?
SEXY. I am convinced that is the sole reason why he picked that shirt.

Szu

A resolutioner got a tough indirect lesson from me. I was seated in an incline bench doing some isolated bicep DB curls. I didn't use that much weight. I stuck with 25 lbs, but I did them in a slow, controlled motion. I knock off 12-15 reps on each set.

This youngster was probably checking out the form and figured that it looked easy enough. He sits on another bench right next to me, but he grabs a set of 30 lbs DB. He does 5 reps before he realizes that it's a bit harder than I make it look. He gets a set of 25 lbs to match my weight and barely squeaks out another 5 reps. During this whole time, I'm still doing my set.

I think he ended up getting 15 lbs, but he learned that looks can be deceiving.

What's the "S" stand for?

Walter

315 3x3 for deads today, sad though because I forgot my phone & wanted a form check. Next week I'll try and get at least one set of 5 & then I'll stick to that weight while I try to diet off a few holiday pounds. I'm hopeful I can hit the same BF% as I did in the summer but in the 160s instead of 150s.

Going on my first "serious" cut since beginning to lift about 2 years ago, frankly I've gotten tired of not being able to outwork a slightly shitty diet and I want to slim down some before graduating in the spring. The only real issue so far is that I've been having trouble figuring out exactly what my macros should be from this point on, so does this look about right?

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
A resolutioner got a tough indirect lesson from me. I was seated in an incline bench doing some isolated bicep DB curls. I didn't use that much weight. I stuck with 25 lbs, but I did them in a slow, controlled motion. I knock off 12-15 reps on each set.

This youngster was probably checking out the form and figured that it looked easy enough. He sits on another bench right next to me, but he grabs a set of 30 lbs DB. He does 5 reps before he realizes that it's a bit harder than I make it look. He gets a set of 25 lbs to match my weight and barely squeaks out another 5 reps. During this whole time, I'm still doing my set.

I think he ended up getting 15 lbs, but he learned that looks can be deceiving.

He learned something and that's what counts :D

Any way, freaking hating life right now. Instead of playing Gravity Rush and hitting f5 to see if preorders are up for wave 4 amiibos I'm at the gym playing catch up because of a long ass day at work and school.

BUT NO EXCUSES RIGHT FITGAF!!!!

Szu

He learned something and that's what counts :D

Any way, freaking hating life right now. Instead of playing Gravity Rush and hitting f5 to see if preorders are up for wave 4 amiibos I'm at the gym playing catch up because of a long ass day at work and school.

BUT NO EXCUSES RIGHT FITGAF!!!!

Never give up, never surrender.

BumRush

It's shepherd's pie!

And it will last me 3-4 days. Something to heat up for lunch.

My family only calls it shepherd's pie if made with lamb. If it's beef, it's cottage!! :)

You inspired me to make it for my wife and I, so thank you.

After 4 intense days on, it feels so good to have a day off today to eat like a horse

Quick question: is it okay to do a form of cardio like swimming on your rest day or should I just rest?

If you're following a program that you like and has shown good results, try to stick to the intended schedule, it was done for a reason. With that being said, light swimming won't kill you. Still, using the day to rest / repair is key.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Good morning fitness GAF. Yesterday I went with my wife to the gym and it was leg day for me, 4am. I haven't done weights in about three to four months, so I was going to start pretty light. I started with leg extensions and did three sets of moderate weight that felt comfortable and gave some resistance, then headed over to the leg press machine.

On the leg press, I started with 4x 45lb plates total. After one set, I felt that the seat needed to be readjusted so I could lean back more and extend my legs more...when I sat up from the machine and squatted down to adjust the seat, I strained my lumbar. It just felt like a pop...and I stood up slowly and walked away. Flagged down my wife who was on the elliptical and we drove back home...on the drive home, I could feel the swelling starting to kick in because trying to relax in the car wasn't helping at all.

When we got home, it was pretty difficult to get out of the car and stand straight and walk. Once inside the house, I sat at a barstool which relieved some of the pain, but when I tried to sit straight, it just hurt. So, I got up and just stood and walked around the house without sitting.

This has happened to me before...probably the fourth or fifth time now over a course of five years. It's happened in hockey before a game started, it's happened while working in the garage and my hamstring cramped, it's happened when my hamstring cramped during bench press, and now it's happened from squatting down to adjust a leg press machine seat.

The urgent care clinic didn't open till 9am, so I had to wait around for that. Once we got there, I was starting to feel some relief but after sitting and getting up, it would hurt really bad to stand straight.

The doctor saw me and said it was my lumbar, I strained it. He asked if stretched before I did my leg training and I said no. He said also that drinking the pre-workout shake before lifting actually dehydrates you and that I needed to drink plenty of water leading up to the workout. On top of that, he said I need to stretch for a good 10 minutes to warm up the hamstrings and glutes and lower back.

I was stupid not to stretch...but it's so annoying having to recover from this because it basically sets me back a week or two for recovery. I want to stretch, but I'm afraid I will make it worse, so now I'm on steroid stim pack meds, muscle relaxers, and strong ibuprofen. I do cold and hot treatments...as I sit in my office...and sitting in my office chair gets annoying after a bit because I can't seem to relax.

Has anyone ever strained or pulled their lumbar?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey all, need some tips.

For the past 3 weeks I've been hitting cardio hard to try and drop some weight. I started at 225.5 lbs (I'm 5'11") and am not a big looking dude by any means, but I have a bit of a spare tire to get rid of. Today I weighed in at 221.5 which is the same as I weighed last week. So in about 2.5 weeks I've lost 4 pounds. Not awful, but I was hoping to see more results a bit quicker. The odd thing is I swear my bit of belly has gotten smaller, even though I haven't lost much weight.

Here's my schedule:
Monday - 55 min on elliptical hill setting
Tuesday - P90X Kenpo (55 minutes, kickboxing style workout)
Wednesday - 45-55 min elliptical hill setting)
Thursday - P90X3 Pilates (30 min), P90X3 Yoga (30 min)
Friday - Running on treadmill (25 min, hills), elliptical 15 min (hills)

I'm also on an eating plan where during the week I average around 1500 calories a day, and try to keep my carbs around 100g (some days 150g) and up my protein and fat to compensate. On weekends I end up eating a bit worse, and a lot more carbs but still try to keep it within reason.

Is there anything I should change? Or is it just something where it'll take time to get the weight loss moving? I was hoping to lose around 2-3lbs per week. It just frustrated me a bit to see myself at 221.5 last week, and then again this morning. I know 2.5 weeks is very little time to judge, though.

I'd like to stick to cardio if I can. I think if I could get down to 205 or so I'd look great.

Thanks!

theytookourjobz

Hey all, need some tips.

For the past 3 weeks I've been hitting cardio hard to try and drop some weight. I started at 225.5 lbs (I'm 5'11") and am not a big looking dude by any means, but I have a bit of a spare tire to get rid of. Today I weighed in at 221.5 which is the same as I weighed last week. So in about 2.5 weeks I've lost 4 pounds. Not awful, but I was hoping to see more results a bit quicker. The odd thing is I swear my bit of belly has gotten smaller, even though I haven't lost much weight.

Here's my schedule:
Monday - 55 min on elliptical hill setting
Tuesday - P90X Kenpo (55 minutes, kickboxing style workout)
Wednesday - 45-55 min elliptical hill setting)
Thursday - P90X3 Pilates (30 min), P90X3 Yoga (30 min)
Friday - Running on treadmill (25 min, hills), elliptical 15 min (hills)

I'm also on an eating plan where during the week I average around 1500 calories a day, and try to keep my carbs around 100g (some days 150g) and up my protein and fat to compensate. On weekends I end up eating a bit worse, and a lot more carbs but still try to keep it within reason.

Is there anything I should change? Or is it just something where it'll take time to get the weight loss moving? I was hoping to lose around 2-3lbs per week. It just frustrated me a bit to see myself at 221.5 last week, and then again this morning.

I'd like to stick to cardio if I can. I think if I could get down to 205 or so I'd look great.

Thanks!

Take shirtless pictures every few days and gauge your progress that way. Weight on the scale is usually a poor indicator in my experience.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Take shirtless pictures every few days and gauge your progress that way. Weight on the scale is usually a poor indicator in my experience.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, but I figured if I was indeed losing fat the scale would show a drop. I swear my stomach has gotten smaller though. I just wasn't sure how if no weight had been lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom