• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
How old are you and do you / did you moisturise your skin?

21 year old male. I don't moisturize my skin, what should I use to do that?

EDIT:
For clarification's sake, the my skin isn't drastically loose but rather it feels a bit more flabby than it should be in places, such as my underarms

You should be fine in time then. As a general rule, when you're losing a LOT of weight the two most important things for your skin are drinking loads of water, and moisturising.

As for what, pretty much anything will do. I know a lot of people like to use cocoa butter.

You should be fine in time then. As a general rule, when you're losing a LOT of weight the two most important things for your skin are drinking loads of water, and moisturising.

As for what, pretty much anything will do. I know a lot of people like to use cocoa butter.

Thanks, I will try the cocoa butter and try to stay hydrated. Luckily I hadn't lost the weight too quickly so it isn't too big of a deal.

Hi FitGAF, I have a few questions. I plan on starting to lift very soon, within the next few days or week, and I'm wondering how I should go at it. I read the OT, and Starting Strength seems to be the preferred method for beginners. Right now, I'm pretty skinnyfat, but I still have a decent amount of actual fat left that I would like to get rid of. Will weight lifting alone help me with this, or should I do other exercises as well? Also, will "bulking" make me not get rid of as much fat? If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

I'm 19, 5'9", and around 155 - 160 pounds.

Also, one more thing, is there a recommended starting weight? I'm not very strong right now, so should I just start lifting with the bar?

thanks

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hi FitGAF, I have a few questions. I plan on starting to lift very soon, within the next few days or week, and I'm wondering how I should go at it. I read the OT, and Starting Strength seems to be the preferred method for beginners. Right now, I'm pretty skinnyfat, but I still have a decent amount of actual fat left that I would like to get rid of. Will weight lifting alone help me with this, or should I do other exercises as well? Also, will "bulking" make me not get rid of as much fat? If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

I'm 19, 5'9", and around 155 - 160 pounds.

Also, one more thing, is there a recommended starting weight? I'm not very strong right now, so should I just start lifting with the bar?

thanks
What will get rid of your fat is eating less calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight. Don't worry about dropping fat at the moment. That's my advice. At your weight and height I would do Starting Strength and eat about 2500 calories a day. Shoot for at least 130 grams of protein a day and make sure you are consistent with the diet and the lifting. Commit a solid 6 months to the program and don't make excuses. After 6 months you can reevaluate and if lifting weights isn't your thing then make the decision at that time.

Start with the bar and progress as the program instructs. You will be testing your limits in no time if you feel the bar is too light. Don't worry about it.

You can add some type of cardiovascular exercise if you choose because it is great for your heart but it is not necessary at this time in the context of your weight lifting goals. In fact, it may make the routine more challenging due to fatigue. Good luck and keep us posted. I encourage you to participate in the discussion and post accomplishments and questions you have. Believe it or not, doing so will greatly increase your chances of staying with it.

What will get rid of your fat is eating less calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight. Don't worry about dropping fat at the moment. That's my advice. At your weight and height I would do Starting Strength and eat about 2500 calories a day. Shoot for at least 130 grams of protein a day and make sure you are consistent with the diet and the lifting. Commit a solid 6 months to the program and don't make excuses. After 6 months you can reevaluate and if lifting weights isn't your thing then make the decision at that time.

Start with the bar and progress as the program instructs. You will be testing your limits in no time if you feel the bar is too light. Don't worry about it.

You can add some type of cardiovascular exercise if you choose because it is great for your heart but it is not necessary at this time in the context of your weight lifting goals. In fact, it may make the routine more challenging due to fatigue. Good luck and keep us posted. I encourage you to participate in the discussion and post accomplishments and questions you have. Believe it or not, doing so will greatly increase your chances of staying with it.

Thanks for the response. A couple things I want to say, first and foremost my main goal is to get rid of the fat, and the secondary goal is to build muscle. If this is better in the long run then I'll try my best to do it. Second, calorie counting and nutrition facts are somewhat hard for me to do. I live in a college dorm, and most days I eat at the dining halls on campus. They do provide nutrition info for us, but it's not always accurate and it's not always there for every item. Is there anything you recommend I do in this situation? Thanks again, and I'll try to remember to post in the thread, as I do want to share my progress and I also think it will help me stick to it.

Goddamn I'm completely wrecked today. I could have slept another 2 hours. Feel like I might need a nap before doing the next stage of the tour. :(

BumRush

Hey tri-state / New England GAF, stay safe and warm over the next few days. Remember to lift from the knees when shoveling. We're fucked.

BumRush

Thanks for the response. A couple things I want to say, first and foremost my main goal is to get rid of the fat, and the secondary goal is to build muscle. If this is better in the long run then I'll try my best to do it. Second, calorie counting and nutrition facts are somewhat hard for me to do. I live in a college dorm, and most days I eat at the dining halls on campus. They do provide nutrition info for us, but it's not always accurate and it's not always there for every item. Is there anything you recommend I do in this situation? Thanks again, and I'll try to remember to post in the thread, as I do want to share my progress and I also think it will help me stick to it.

College dorms are difficult for accurate results but certainly not impossible. Aim for foods high in protein - grilled chicken, eggs, etc, not ones covered in sauce or fried. I used to load up on salad with hardboiled eggs for lunch, then get some kind of meat with a non-processed carb for dinner.

Like cooter said, start with only the bar on SS. Also, don't waste your time doing steady state cardio. Do HIIT instead...you're in college, you should be running around trying to fuck every girl in sight, not working out 24/7.

Most importantly, continue to pop in here with questions, updates, etc. Good luck!

ILoveBish

This is the first actual deload week i've done in the past 4+ months. But i am going to follow the program correctly and just go through with it. Luckily FSL is still there to give me some good reps. Afterwords i did my accessory stuff, then i went to the new olympic setup and messed around with that. I can do 135 without even batting an eye on the snatch, and im wondering how much heavier i'll have to go before i'll need to really focus on form and technique getting in the way. Still very curious, but really worried that once i get to a good weight it will be pretty dangerous.

Hey tri-state / New England GAF, stay safe and warm over the next few days. Remember to lift from the knees when shoveling. We're fucked.

I'm wearing shorts and tank top to work.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Right guys I need your input. I am currently 185 pounds, 6'2.5, 24 years old, 32 waist and have always done cardio and never lifted much so don't know the right portions, etc. I would love to lift and look good in shape but I don't want to put too much fat on me. Should I do some cardio and drop to around 170 pounds and the begin this starting strength routine and see a PT to help with lifting? I just want to have some reasonable weight and be stronger and look good for physique!

EDIT: Also if you don't mind me asking. How long would you say you spend on average at the gym to do all the needed lifting for a session? Could it be done in 40-60 minutes if there was no one using the weights?

Szu

Right guys I need your input. I am currently 185 pounds, 6'2.5, 24 years old, 32 waist and have always done cardio and never lifted much so don't know the right portions, etc. I would love to lift and look good in shape but I don't want to put too much fat on me. Should I do some cardio and drop to around 170 pounds and the begin this starting strength routine and see a PT to help with lifting? I just want to have some reasonable weight and be stronger and look good for physique!

EDIT: Also if you don't mind me asking. How long would you say you spend on average at the gym to do all the needed lifting for a session? Could it be done in 40-60 minutes if there was no one using the weights?

On average, I spend about an 60 mins, but the actual lifting probably last about 45 mins.

Belly starting to depress me a bit on this bulk. I've put on a bit of muscle, but no-where near as much as I'd have liked for this about of fat.

RoeBear

Belly starting to depress me a bit on this bulk. I've put on a bit of muscle, but no-where near as much as I'd have liked for this about of fat.
Just clean up your food a bit. I'm still having a ton but cause I'm only having Chipotle like twice a week I'm not getting huge. By the end of the day tough my stomach is huge... no joke it gets ridiculous.

Couldn't be any cleaner to be honest. I only seem to store fat on my stomach (literally never seen it anywhere else). My face still looks like I've got some sort of wasting disease.

Amusing thing is that I'm still bulking on only ~2,400kcal a day. Actually put on way too much weight last week. =/

ILoveBish

Couldn't be any cleaner to be honest. I only seem to store fat on my stomach (literally never seen it anywhere else). My face still looks like I've got some sort of wasting disease.

Amusing thing is that I'm still bulking on only ~2,400kcal a day. Actually put on way too much weight last week. =/

We need some pics of you at some point, you're too interesting not to have a visual on with all that goes on with you.

RoeBear

We need some pics of you at some point, you're too interesting not to have a visual on with all that goes on with you.
FitGAF pics are like double edged sword for me. If I see posts on gaming side from here I just get shocked. People that go to the gym can't be "nerds".

I'll see Sean post about amibos, or immortal on fighting games and get all confused.
I might be the worst though, as I like playing as a little boy in a Japanese 2d fighter lol.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Readjusted my deadlift positioning. Feet are closer so my arms are straight down, turn my elbows in when pulling the slack out. Doing this increased my estimated 1RM from 270lb to 320lb. Hell yes.

BumRush

I'll see Sean post about amibos, or immortal on fighting games and get all confused.
I might be the worst though, as I like playing as a little boy in a Japanese 2d fighter lol.

Haha yeah I see him over there every once in a while and it blows my mind.

Cooter

Readjusted my deadlift positioning. Feet are closer so my arms are straight down, turn my elbows in when pulling the slack out. Doing this increased my estimated 1RM from 270lb to 320lb. Hell yes.
This right here is nothing short of amazing and something all newbs should read 10 times and then another twenty. Great stuff BT!

Szu

FitGAF pics are like double edged sword for me. If I see posts on gaming side from here I just get shocked. People that go to the gym can't be "nerds".

Yeah, it kinda feels like we're living a double life. Kinda like Batman and Superman.

ILoveBish

I didn't know fitgaf was so anime.

I still play neo geo fighters on my PSP everyday.

Szu

I didn't know fitgaf was so anime.

I still play neo geo fighters on my PSP everyday.

Hell, just check the posters in the background of some of Dart...(dang it)...Spiritreaver's pics.

Though, I think I've won the nerd race in FitGaf. I still playing Pokemon on my 3DS.

Szu

Hmmm, I might actually do that Chipotle tofu deal today.

There's a company party where there's some free food. I'll take in enough of that to cover some of my macros. Then, I'll head on out to Chipotle and grab one of these tofu thingies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Started getting a weird pain/irritation in my right knee the morning after a workout and started freaking out thinking I pulled a muscle or hurt my knee in someway. I take a look and it just turned out to be a pimple -___-. How does that even happen?

Completely exhausted today and I couldn't hit my incline or flat bench numbers. A day like this would have bummed me out a year ago but now I know shit like this happens. Gotta hit it hard tomorrow. Still managed to put in a decent day.

J. Bravo

Hell, just check the posters in the background of some of Dart...(dang it)...Spiritreaver's pics.

Though, I think I've won the nerd race in FitGaf. I still playing Pokemon on my 3DS.
Me too lol. Slooooooowly working my way through omega ruby.

Just done my chest routine, and surprisingly I increased my numbers in a few places. Seems that destroying myself with cardio has not yet affected my ability to lift.

However, I'll see later if today's lifting has destroyed my ability to cardio. :p

BumRush

Just done my chest routine, and surprisingly I increased my numbers in a few places. Seems that destroying myself with cardio has not yet affected my ability to lift.

However, I'll see later if today's lifting has destroyed my ability to cardio. :p

Are you continuing to do full lifts during this bike tour?

entremet

People are more complex than common stereotypes like gamer or lifter.

It's also why I hate the term ''gamer'' and all the baggage that comes with it.

Also if you on NeoGAF, you're a nerd by default ;P

chipotleeeeee

I'm tempted, but I just don't like the sofritas that much.

Chipotle with double meat, no tortilla, and no rice is a favorite meal of mine. I go black bean, fajita, green salsa, sour cream, cheese, and guac.

emf6xHg.png

Are you continuing to do full lifts during this bike tour?

Not my usual routine, no. 1 day of weights, 1 day of stretching in rotation. Each takes about an hour.

Come day 7 I'll switch to stretching only because day 8 is going to be nigh on impossible as it is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I challenge all of fitgaf in fatal fury special, come at me in fightcade, same username as steam!

And yamazaki is awesome indeed. You have excellent taste, bro.

KOF 98 Dream Match for me:

Yamazaki, Heidern, Shermie. Good-ass team, fun-ass team.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My ex, after seeing a picture of me on instagram, texted me to ask if I was on steroids. Best feeling. Fuck yeah.

Oh damn, thats the ultimate 'mirin

This right here is nothing short of amazing and something all newbs should read 10 times and then another twenty. Great stuff BT!

Thanks, man! I always set my feet placement shoulder width. The Candito vids really made me reassess. I always felt like my technique was robbing me of power, its interesting to see just how much. Now to work on my Squat technique.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm more jacked up and giddy about Zelda WiiU than my 9 year old son is.

I think I will get butterflies in my stomach when we get a true Zelda reveal trailer.

Zelda music makes me cry at times, it's incredibly powerful.

I will wear my zelda tank at the gym every single damn day when I begin playing it til I see the ending credits. Will probably buy other zelda themed gym shirts.

Cooter

I think I will get butterflies in my stomach when we get a true Zelda reveal trailer.

Zelda music makes me cry at times, it's incredibly powerful.

I will wear my zelda tank at the gym every single damn day when I begin playing it til I see the ending credits. Will probably buy other zelda themed gym shirts.
I want that tank of yours. Mind linking (haha) me again to where you found it?

sphinx

the piano man
I want that tank of yours. Mind linking (haha) me again to where you found it?

man, it would be so awesome if we made a Badass Zelda Fitgaf army when the game arrives
(yeah sometimes I behave like an 8 year old)

here's the link to the one I bought: Zelda Tank Top

easily best fit of all my tanks, and good quality, my favorite and not only due to the zelda crest but it really fits and feels well. I got an S size but you probably should go for L ;)

they have other shirts, I kinda liked these out of those in the search engine. Tha majora has too much color and the sheikah comes in White which I don''t particularly like..Skyloft shirt is cool

and for your misses and girlfriends:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom