• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Sunflower. The past year I've trained like monk away from JUNK, hell I barely ate fruit, I felt bad about the sugar. But now I have to rewire my entire brain to keep eating, 2700 cal/day seems crazy to me. Its like one of those "cheat" days I had when I was losing weight, but now its the norm.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Sunflower. The past year I've trained like monk away from JUNK, hell I barely ate fruit, I felt bad about the sugar. But now I have to rewire my entire brain to keep eating, 2700 cal/day seems crazy to me. Its like one of those "cheat" days I had when I was losing weight, but now its the norm.

I'm totally the opposite, I gotta restrain the shit out of myself to stay under 2200 a day. It's rough.

Supplement your day with cups of whole milk, shit is delicious and will buffer out them calories.

Hey again, I was in here for some advice a couple of months ago and now I'm back.

I finished a program a couple of months ago and I'm looking for a new one. I figured the one posted at the start of this thread would be fun to try out. However, I have some issues with the timing.

I've got regular martial arts workouts on Mondays and Thursday, which are A. Intense as hell, and C. non-negotiable.

I didn't gain as much as I was hoping last time around (which was upper body Tues/Sat, lower body Wed/Sun), and I think it's down to insufficient diet and insufficient rest. I also found it frustrating when I had literally weak Kung Fu on Mondays/Thursdays, so I think I need to give myself more rest.

I thought that this time around I would reduce the number of sessions, and get more rest in between. So I was thinking either do Tue/Fri, or perhaps occasionally Tue/Fri/Sun.

What do you think about just taking two of the sets from the original routine and perhaps adding the third on Sundays if I have the energy? Looking at it, I figure I'd take the Wed/Fri sets as is, with some added pull-ups on Tues and some other exercises I just plain enjoy doing.

Tuesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work (was thinking woodchopper, oblique coil, crunch machine)

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired (tricep dips, forearm curls)
Calf raises

I can definitely swing two sessions a week, with three occasionally, but back when I did four it started impacting my personal life a bit too much. What I want to do here is do a routine that actually works easily so I don't feel inclined to skip out.

So what I'm wondering is basically this:
1. Am I missing anything crucial by just doing these exercises, or am I double working anything?
2. What, if any, extra arm-work would recommend?
3. Should I be pushing to get the occasional third session in on Sundays or would you recommend sticking with two? Do I risk considerable gain-loss by only doing two?

Pizoxuat

I'm feeling pretty good about myself today. About four months ago, I started going to the gym three times a week. Almost exactly three months ago I convinced myself to stop using machines and start doing free weights. I fooled around a bit before settling into a program where I do three compound lifts and three accessories every time I hit the gym. Today I hit novice (per SS) on my lifts.

I'm a 33 year old mom and cancer survivor. My body has been through a lot. I feel better physically than I have in decades. And I am super motivated to keep going and see how strong I can get.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm feeling pretty good about myself today. About four months ago, I started going to the gym three times a week. Almost exactly three months ago I convinced myself to stop using machines and start doing free weights. I fooled around a bit before settling into a program where I do three compound lifts and three accessories every time I hit the gym. Today I hit novice (per SS) on my lifts.

I'm a 33 year old mom and cancer survivor. My body has been through a lot. I feel better physically than I have in decades. And I am super motivated to keep going and see how strong I can get.

HELL yeah. Badass!

Heysoos

Woo! Keep it up!

Matugi

Today's workout is the first I've struggled to get through since starting my cut, although not unexpected coming off 10 days of vacation.

Also Shoutsout to the dude keeping a logbook in the gym while simultaneously doing quarter squats in which he hops onto his toes at the end with 225. If this were Planet Fitness you'd be getting pizza for your hard work.

Edit: dude just loaded 315 onto the bar. He's literally moving the bar 8 inches at most. I remember the days when I deluded myself into thinking I could squat 265 when I was half repping. That was before the body dysmorphia set in lol

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I scowled all the time at the gym yesterday at this woman on the exercise bike who had her ecig in one hand taking pulls off of it constantly, while having her kid sit there and watch her bike. Poor kid. Fucking miserable.

Zoe

What's the best way to determine your body fat guys? I hear calipers can be hit or miss in accuracy.

All methods are hit or miss. Probably the most accurate would be Bod Pod or water immersion, but those aren't things you can use on your own.

Whichever way you go, just be consistent about how you're measuring, when you're measuring, and look at the trend over a period of time rather than day to day.

Barzul

All methods are hit or miss. Probably the most accurate would be Bod Pod or water immersion, but those aren't things you can use on your own.

Whichever way you go, just be consistent about how you're measuring, when you're measuring, and look at the trend over a period of time rather than day to day.

best? bodpod or hydrostatic. I just eyeball it and get an approximation.

I'll post a pic after my workout today and have you guys estimate for me then I guess.

OG Kush

Been lifting on and off for about a couple years now but haven't made as much progress as I'd have liked to due to poor nutrition understanding and just general university coming in the way (drinking, going out etc). Anyway I'm going to start a strength training program. Starting Strenght is the best for novices yeah? Also is there any way I can mix bodybuilding/hypertrophy in with Starting Strength? And also possible to go to the gym more than 3 times a week? That just seems too low for me!
Cheers

bumpkin

I'm hoping someone here could lend some insight. I've been trying to reach a conclusion on what I should shoot for as far as my daily caloric needs go (trying to shed belly fat), and I'm having a hard time buying into what a lot of the BMR/TDEE calculators online are telling me. The numbers just sound so high, and I think part of my confusion is in how to define my activity level.

FitnessFrog.com's TDEE calculator lists these categories for activity level:

- Little or no exercise (ex: desk job)
- Light exercise (ex: exercising 1-3 days/week)
- Moderate exercise (ex: exercising 3-5 days/week)
- Heavy exercise (ex: exercising 6-7 days/week)
- Daily exercise (ex: exercising 7 days/week and working a physical job)

Although I do work a desk job, I've been going to the gym every day and doing just over an hour on the stationary bike. What's causing me confusion is they don't clearly say what defines the various exercise levels -- duration, intensity, etc. -- other than the frequency. :(

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping someone here could lend some insight. I've been trying to reach a conclusion on what I should shoot for as far as my daily caloric needs go (trying to shed belly fat), and I'm having a hard time buying into what a lot of the BMR/TDEE calculators online are telling me. The numbers just sound so high, and I think part of my confusion is in how to define my activity level.

FitnessFrog.com's TDEE calculator lists these categories for activity level:

- Little or no exercise (ex: desk job)
- Light exercise (ex: exercising 1-3 days/week)
- Moderate exercise (ex: exercising 3-5 days/week)
- Heavy exercise (ex: exercising 6-7 days/week)
- Daily exercise (ex: exercising 7 days/week and working a physical job)

Although I do work a desk job, I've been going to the gym every day and doing just over an hour on the stationary bike. What's causing me confusion is they don't clearly say what defines the various exercise levels -- duration, intensity, etc. -- other than the frequency. :(

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that stuff like this is a bunch of nonsense. Maybe a good starting point for some people, but overall useless, since it's trying to come up with a very specific number based off a series of assumptions and estimates.

I really want some hot dogs right now.

Also gonna try to bake some sweet potatoes in the oven tonight. I fucked up last time and they came out all hard as opposed to soft and delicious.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's fucking ridiculous crazy strong. It's wild seeing your progress NEVER goddamn stop! Inspiring too.
Well, that's not entirely true even though I appreciate it. I just take advantage of a stall. If one lift stalls I rework it while pushing the other ones harder.

Right now I'm reworking bench while my squat and dead continue to climb.

Squat Masters of Fit-GAF, what would be your critique to my current squat form (other than that at least rep 1 and 4 are obviously half squats)?

http://youtu.be/RCK570cMkVw

You're not hitting depth in any of those. Break at the hips first (sit back) then the knees. Squat in a rack with safety bars up. Brace your core for each rep and get that upper back tighter. Just a few things that immediately come to mind.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Just to clarify, I do normally squat in a rack but stepped out to get a better view on the clip :)

Looks pretty good torso-wise, thinking about shoving your knees out will help you get that depth. You also might want to look down slightly. You will also need to be squatting in a rack as you go up in weight for safety.

Knee shoving is a really good tip, l have started to practice it and it really helps engage parts I didn't know I even had. Obviously need more practice.

You're not hitting depth in any of those. Break at the hips first (sit back) then the knees. Squat in a rack with safety bars up. Brace your core for each rep and get that upper back tighter. Just a few things that immediately come to mind.

Breaking at the hips sounds new to me. I guess its feels sort of pushing the butt backwards before the knees descend. I will practice it.

Upper back is my worst weakness, it ruins my deadlift form too (although many insist upper back rounding is not dangerous in deadlift it still makes it look crap so I want to strengthen it, a lot).

Go_Ly_Dow

Stupid question but which one would you guys/girls say is a 2 day rest?

1. Working out Sunday afternoon and then Tuesday afternoon (48 hours between the two sessions.

2. Working out Sunday afternoon and then Wednesday afternoon. (Monday and Tuesday rest days.

(Debating with a friend)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

1. Working out Sunday afternoon and then Tuesday afternoon (48 hours between the two sessions.

2. Working out Sunday afternoon and then Wednesday afternoon. (Monday and Tuesday rest days.

(Debating with a friend)

I think it's generally accepted that #2 would apply to "two days of rest."

Sure, 48 hours would constitute "two days," but I don't think most people would count Sunday since you worked out on that day, and thus it was not a "day of rest."

I may be wrong, though.

Breaking at the hips sounds new to me. I guess its feels sort of pushing the butt backwards before the knees descend. I will practice it.

Breaking at the hips is the common advice given by Rippetoe and many others that follow his advice. On the other hand, you have folks like Candito who advocate for breaking at the knees, but also saying that it depends on what your build is. Both of these guys know how to squat well, so it's hard to say exactly who is correct on the matter. I think the idea that there is individual variance is probably correct, and you need to find what works for you. Of course, hitting depth (you're just a bit high on the squats in the video), bracing your core and keeping your upper back as tight as possible are sound advice for anyone.

bumpkin

It's best to go with sedentary and then just add your cardio averaged out over the week.
I think the sedentary number from the TDEE calculator I noted is 2185, so adding my typical cardio calorie burn, it's around 2600. When I tell the calculator that I work out 6-7 days a week though, the number it gives me is 3140. I'm just concerned that if I shoot for some percentage under that 2600, it might actually be double or triple the deficit I'm shooting for. Won't I risk my body going into ketosis mode and burning muscle instead of fat if the gap is too large?

keezy

Squat Masters of Fit-GAF, what would be your critique to my current squat form (other than that at least rep 1 and 4 are obviously half squats)?

http://youtu.be/RCK570cMkVw

My biggest thing is the weight shifting to the balls of your feet. You're bending your knees out of the gate as opposed to dropping your hips. Plus, I can look at your shoes and see that you're not driving with your heels. I saw people mention depth.. Eh, depending on what you're training for I wouldn't worry about that as much. It looks like you're hitting parallel to slightly above parallel which is fine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think the sedentary number from the TDEE calculator I noted is 2185, so adding my typical cardio calorie burn, it's around 2600. When I tell the calculator that I work out 6-7 days a week though, the number it gives me is 3140. I'm just concerned that if I shoot for some percentage under that 2600, it might actually be double or triple the deficit I'm shooting for. Won't I risk my body going into ketosis mode and burning muscle instead of fat if the gap is too large?

Wait, what?

You break down fatty acids for energy with ketogenesis. Why would you be burning muscle?

Jhriad

Overnight on call was super busy last night so I only got like 3 hours of sleep. Running on fumes and coffee at this point. I don't know how effective my workout will be today. Ugh.

Congrats! Keep up the good work!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

(Debating with a friend)
Number two for sure. Otherwise you couldn't have zero rest days.

Matugi

This is still my favorite video on squatting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFHgVN_pcg

The video makes a great point that you can set up with your hips already back so that you don't have to think about breaking them when you actually do the squat. It'll take some getting used to because you'll have to slow down how fast you work but it's good for getting your form down

Chittagong

Gold Member
My biggest thing is the weight shifting to the balls of your feet. You're bending your knees out of the gate as opposed to dropping your hips. Plus, I can look at your shoes and see that you're not driving with your heels. I saw people mention depth.. Eh, depending on what you're training for I wouldn't worry about that as much. It looks like you're hitting parallel to slightly above parallel which is fine.

That is well spotted, I do remember a few moments when my weight didn't stay strictly on the heels, typically after I am just barely on my way back up, maybe three inches up from the lowest point. Breaking at the hips might help by forcing the weight further back and strengthening my hams.

Breaking at the hips is the common advice given by Rippetoe and many others that follow his advice. On the other hand, you have folks like Candito who advocate for breaking at the knees, but also saying that it depends on what your build is. Both of these guys know how to squat well, so it's hard to say exactly who is correct on the matter. I think the idea that there is individual variance is probably correct, and you need to find what works for you. Of course, hitting depth (you're just a bit high on the squats in the video), bracing your core and keeping your upper back as tight as possible are sound advice for anyone.

Man, this is why I have come to love the squat. It's like the chess of weights, initially it looks fairly simple but there are so many things to consider, and all of them affect each other.

This is still my favorite video on squatting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFHgVN_pcg

The video makes a great point that you can set up with your hips already back so that you don't have to think about breaking them when you actually do the squat. It'll take some getting used to because you'll have to slow down how fast you work but it's good for getting your form down

That is good. That is damn good. Thanks for sharing!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Just to clarify, I do normally squat in a rack but stepped out to get a better view on the clip :)

Knee shoving is a really good tip, l have started to practice it and it really helps engage parts I didn't know I even had. Obviously need more practice.

Upper back is my worst weakness, it ruins my deadlift form too (although many insist upper back rounding is not dangerous in deadlift it still makes it look crap so I want to strengthen it, a lot).

If you watch me deadlift my upper back is rounded. Don't worry about that, but don't take that to mean upper back doesn't need to be worked. You need a very strong upper back to pull heavy weight.

bumpkin

Wait, what?

You break down fatty acids for energy with ketogenesis. Why would you be burning muscle?
I'm by no means an expert, just going off of the info I've stumbled across. Everything I read was saying that our bodies hold onto fat stores no matter the cost, and muscle is what it goes for first when the body needs energy. That seemed to be the common point across all of the various resources I found.

I know if I'm not starving -- having hunger pains all the time -- then I shouldn't care or worry if my intended deficit of 200-300 calories ends up being 600-900. I'm just weary of unknowingly over-doing it and not getting my desired effect; blowing away the belly fat.

For reference, I'm not overweight. I'm 6'1" and around 170 lbs. I'm on a mission to unearth the abs I've never seen. :D

Cooper

I've got no idea how much protein I get, but I generally eat things which are supposedly high in protein. What I'm looking at on an average day is two large fried eggs on brown toast, a bowl of muesili with fruit and nuts, two bananas, an apple, yogurt and a main meal with chicken breast or minced beef. On top of that I'll have a bottle of beer and a mini ice cream :D Oh and loads of orange juice.

I'm not really sure what the quantities of protein are in each, but I'm going to start looking at the contents next time I go shopping. I assume chicken/veg stir fries are a good option?

Thanks for the advice!

Doing a quick tally from the food you listed, you'd probably benefit from eating some more protein. It's impossible to say without knowing portion size, but again, from your list:

2 eggs - about 14g
muesli - maybe 10g for a cup
toast - around 5g
chicken breast - about 25g per 4 oz breast
yogurt - 10 - 25g, depending on type (Greek/standard, full fat/low fat/non fat)

Fruits, juices and beer are basically negligible in protein content.

There are various guidelines for setting an appropriate level of protein, based on goal weight or lean body mass. You can play around with online calculators and see what you get, but I'd guess for a guy your size looking to lose weight, a daily protein intake of 100 - 140g would protect against muscle loss.

My cut is going well two weeks in despite half of the time I was traveling to Vancouver, and traveling always makes sticking to an eating plan harder IMO. Down 2.5 lbs in just over two weeks.

Anyway, I think I am about due for a form check on all my major lifts, so I will be posting them up here over the next week as I get through them all. First up, overhead press:

5 x105 lbs OHP form check: http://youtu.be/kraSXK3ooJY

I think my elbows need to be more forward first of all, but please critique with full honesty, even if it means I need to fully deload I'm OK, I just want to get better at presses. This is the last set of my 5s week of 5/3/1 BTW.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My cut is going well two weeks in despite half of the time I was traveling to Vancouver, and traveling always makes stickingn to an eating plan harder IMO. Down 2.5 lbs in just over two weeks.

Anyway, I think I am about due for a form check on all my major lifts, so I will be posting them up here over the next week as I get through them all. First up, overhead press:

I think my elbows need to be more forward first of all, but please critique with full honesty, even if it means I need to fully deload I'm OK, I just want to get better at presses. This is the last set of my 5s week of 5/3/1 BTW.

Not bad. Engage your glutes and flare your lats before you unrack the bar. You will feel tighter.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. Keto helps spare muscle on a cut very well.

Speaking of, I finally hit a new low this morning. 261.5lbs. This cut is happening.

KETO PARTY

I had a cheat meal last night (sister's birthday) and I'm back on the meat wagon. Shat my brains out at lunch :(

Go_Ly_Dow

Sure, 48 hours would constitute "two days," but I don't think most people would count Sunday since you worked out on that day, and thus it was not a "day of rest."

I may be wrong, though..

Number two for sure. Otherwise you couldn't have zero rest days.

Yeah as I thought.

He was trying to get me to workout a day earlier.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just to make sure I'm adding weight to 5/3/1 correctly...

If, for example, I finish the 3rd week of a cycle at 1x185 on bench and 1x255 on deadlift, the next cycle on week 3 I should be doing 1x190 on bench and 1x265 on deadlift, right?

Sadetar

(Debating with a friend)
If you can don't take them straight but work in between so I would say number two would definitely be better.

Huge respect. A true survivor.

Hey again, I was in here for some advice a couple of months ago and now I'm back.

I finished a program a couple of months ago and I'm looking for a new one. I figured the one posted at the start of this thread would be fun to try out. However, I have some issues with the timing.

I've got regular martial arts workouts on Mondays and Thursday, which are A. Intense as hell, and C. non-negotiable.

I didn't gain as much as I was hoping last time around (which was upper body Tues/Sat, lower body Wed/Sun), and I think it's down to insufficient diet and insufficient rest. I also found it frustrating when I had literally weak Kung Fu on Mondays/Thursdays, so I think I need to give myself more rest.

I thought that this time around I would reduce the number of sessions, and get more rest in between. So I was thinking either do Tue/Fri, or perhaps occasionally Tue/Fri/Sun.

What do you think about just taking two of the sets from the original routine and perhaps adding the third on Sundays if I have the energy? Looking at it, I figure I'd take the Wed/Fri sets as is, with some added pull-ups on Tues and some other exercises I just plain enjoy doing.

Tuesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work (was thinking woodchopper, oblique coil, crunch machine)

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired (tricep dips, forearm curls)
Calf raises

I can definitely swing two sessions a week, with three occasionally, but back when I did four it started impacting my personal life a bit too much. What I want to do here is do a routine that actually works easily so I don't feel inclined to skip out.

So what I'm wondering is basically this:
1. Am I missing anything crucial by just doing these exercises, or am I double working anything?
2. What, if any, extra arm-work would recommend?
3. Should I be pushing to get the occasional third session in on Sundays or would you recommend sticking with two? Do I risk considerable gain-loss by only doing two?
I can't help with your program that much but I say that stick with at least two rest days to have the best results. If you can, three gym times is better than two but just make sure you get enough rest. Also plan your diet well, especially on the days you are working hard.

I also loved the way that you had reasons A and C but not B... and I thought I am illogical. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom