• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

KETO PARTY

I had a cheat meal last night (sister's birthday) and I'm back on the meat wagon. Shat my brains out at lunch :(

Totally cool for your sisters celebration. As long as you're back on the wagon broseph.

Just to make sure I'm adding weight to 5/3/1 correctly...

If, for example, I finish the 3rd week of a cycle at 1x185 on bench and 1x255 on deadlift, the next cycle on week 3 I should be doing 1x190 on bench and 1x265 on deadlift, right?

I add 5lbs on every lift other then deadlift, which I add 10lbs. Reason being that I am pretty far along on squats or I would be doing 10lbs on that also.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Totally cool for your sisters celebration. As long as you're back on the wagon broseph.

I add 5lbs on every lift other then deadlift, which I add 10lbs. Reason being that I am pretty far along on squats or I would be doing 10lbs on that also.

So I'm doing it right or not? lol

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, my ass is reminding me why I don't do cheat meals. State of flux. I hear water scooshing through my innards.

sphinx

the piano man

I don't feel I have a license to offer critique on the ohp lift but dude, I have to commend you for your arm control, each rep looks really symmetrical. You control the movement very well, there's great range of motion and the barbell follows a precise path,

from my perspective, you nailed it but maybe other guys can point at areas to improve..

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just to make sure I'm adding weight to 5/3/1 correctly...

If, for example, I finish the 3rd week of a cycle at 1x185 on bench and 1x255 on deadlift, the next cycle on week 3 I should be doing 1x190 on bench and 1x265 on deadlift, right?

I'd get the book to better understand what's going on.

And you add 5 to your training max for upper body and 10 to your training max for lower body. Not to your 1x.

Chittagong

Gold Member
If you watch me deadlift my upper back is rounded. Don't worry about that, but don't take that to mean upper back doesn't need to be worked. You need a very strong upper back to pull heavy weight.

Well, damn. Either way, upper back work it is.

KETO PARTY

I had a cheat meal last night (sister's birthday) and I'm back on the meat wagon. Shat my brains out at lunch :(

That sounds like the exact outcome of my three mid-keto Quest bars last Saturday. Holy jesus. Also, I'm pretty sure Quest bars kicked me out of ketosis.

Leeness

Yep, I can't wait for my back to get better. The silly part is I used to hate working out, but needed to start doing at least something to make my back eventually better. Nowadays I am so used to working out around 5 days a week that it feels totally odd if I suddenly can't do something I was planned on doing. I guess it has somewhat grown into me. I have hard time imagining I would stop training anymore.

You are also right what comes to those water aerobics classes - and I am not a morning person at all, more of a night owl.

I am very happy to hear that your work outs has been succesfull. Just keep up the good work and keep us updated with those adorable shots of yourself. ^_^

You will get there! :) just take it easy, train your core like the doctors say and you will get there! I believe in you!

Will keep working out! I have four days off and I intend to work out like a dog haha.

I'm feeling pretty good about myself today. About four months ago, I started going to the gym three times a week. Almost exactly three months ago I convinced myself to stop using machines and start doing free weights. I fooled around a bit before settling into a program where I do three compound lifts and three accessories every time I hit the gym. Today I hit novice (per SS) on my lifts.

I'm a 33 year old mom and cancer survivor. My body has been through a lot. I feel better physically than I have in decades. And I am super motivated to keep going and see how strong I can get.

Respect! That's awesome! :) Seriously. Amazing!

----

Hahaha you all will laugh at me but I have the weakest arms everrrrr. I did 20 minutes of kickboxing and then my strength circuit for 35 and upped my weights from... 3lbs to 5lbs and my arms are in so much pain. I can't lift themmmmmm.

Hahaha you all will laugh at me but I have the weakest arms everrrrr. I did 20 minutes of kickboxing and then my strength circuit for 35 and upped my weights from... 3lbs to 5lbs and my arms are in so much pain. I can't lift themmmmmm.

Good progress!

Now, Let's see you get up to 10 and 20 lb dumbbells...

gorfyako

Banned
Roommate and I have been doing Starting Strength for the past month and we're already about to stall on OHP, though to be fair, I think we started a little too high (should have just started with the bar). Last set we did was 80lb. and it took a lot of mustering to get through it. I'm pretty sure my form was absolute shit as I think I can still feel some pain in my back.

Before we do the exercise again on Friday, is there any arm exercises I can do to possibly increase my likelihood of performing better on Friday? Stretches or even a few barbell lifts (I've got a squat rack with barbell that I lift with and nothing much else). I've got another day of lifting on Wednesday, but that's Bench Press.

Leeness

Good progress!

Now, Let's see you get up to 10 and 20 lb dumbbells...

Yeah riiiiiight. 5 is already way too heavy for me. I've always had weak as hell arms (like can't even hold in a pull up for a second weak). So...the fact that I could press, curl and do kick backs with 5lbs for 25 minutes is like impossibly good for me.

Deadlift 550lbs x 3. New 3 rep max. +15 to old max.

http://youtu.be/5eJuRhzjrtc

Woah! Very impressive man!

So Brolic (and FitGAF in general,) I was Deadlifting last Tuesday and halfway through my set of 435 for 5, the trainer at my gym (he's a "fitness" trainer) runs up to me mid set and says "Tom (my name) stop! You're killing your back; if you can't go down slowly you are doing too much. When you go down that hard you are severing your spine". I was pissed as shit because he interrupted me mid-set, and my form is pretty damn good. I ignored him and kept on doing my set.
Now, my form is very similar to Brolic's, and so when I put the weight down I don't put it down gently.

I have two questions for FitGAF: 1: What is the proper way to put the weight down during a Deadlift? 2: Is it even possible to sever your spine by putting the weight down hard during a Deadlift?

SeanR1221

Fuck me. Was back in the hospital today for a bit. Because the nurse botched my IV I have phlebitis. Basically my vein is inflamed.

I have shooting pain down my arm and my hand is numb.

Cudder

So Brolic (and FitGAF in general,) I was Deadlifting last Tuesday and halfway through my set of 435 for 5, the trainer at my gym (he's a "fitness" trainer) runs up to me mid set and says "Tom (my name) stop! You're killing your back; if you can't go down slowly you are doing too much. When you go down that hard you are severing your spine". I was pissed as shit because he interrupted me mid-set, and my form is pretty damn good. I ignored him and kept on doing my set.
Now, my form is very similar to Brolic's, and so when I put the weight down I don't put it down gently.

I have two questions for FitGAF: 1: What is the proper way to put the weight down during a Deadlift? 2: Is it even possible to sever your spine by putting the weight down hard during a Deadlift?

The deadlift movement is considered complete when you lift the weight and are standing with it. Lowering the weight slowly when you have a lot packed on the bar is just asking for trouble. I personally don't drop the weights outright, but I keep my hands on the bar and only have about 15% grip when I drop it back to the floor.

For my 135/225 warm up sets, I do lower it somewhat slowly though, anything over 3 plates, forget it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

A controlled drop. Drop it and tell this guy to mind his own business. I've never heard of severing your spine and find it highly unlikely.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Roommate and I have been doing Starting Strength for the past month and we're already about to stall on OHP, though to be fair, I think we started a little too high (should have just started with the bar). Last set we did was 80lb. and it took a lot of mustering to get through it. I'm pretty sure my form was absolute shit as I think I can still feel some pain in my back.

Before we do the exercise again on Friday, is there any arm exercises I can do to possibly increase my likelihood of performing better on Friday? Stretches or even a few barbell lifts (I've got a squat rack with barbell that I lift with and nothing much else). I've got another day of lifting on Wednesday, but that's Bench Press.

It's unlikely that there is much you can do if your goal is to hit 85 lbs. on Friday when you had a hard time pulling off 80 lbs. Definitely follow the program and de-load if you're not able to complete your sets.

gorfyako

Banned
It's unlikely that there is much you can do if your goal is to hit 85 lbs. on Friday when you had a hard time pulling off 80 lbs. Definitely follow the program and de-load if you're not able to complete your sets.

We were able to complete our sets, it just wasn't pretty. And what does "de-load" mean? I remember hearing it a while ago and never really understanding it. I'm guessing it has to do with failure? Probably a good thing to learn then as my inability to continue once failing is what stopped me in this program several times before. I'm okay with failing a lot, but I'm not okay with having no plan on what to do after failing. Like let's say this Friday, on my first set of five, I fail to make it to five. What do I do for my other two sets? What do I do on Wednesday if I do this set again and fail?

rage1973

Deadlift is a concentric exercise and not eccentric.
But most gyms frown upon just dropping the weights with the loud crash.
So you just have to do do what you can to minimize the noise and that might mean dropping the weights slower and with lower weights. I would also note that you have a higher chance of getting injured when you lower the weight slowly so you should take that into account as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We were able to complete our sets, it just wasn't pretty. And what does "de-load" mean? I remember hearing it a while ago and never really understanding it. I'm guessing it has to do with failure? Probably a good thing to learn then as my inability to continue once failing is what stopped me in this program several times before. I'm okay with failing a lot, but I'm not okay with having no plan on what to do after failing. Like let's say this Friday, on my first set of five, I fail to make it to five. What do I do for my other two sets? What do I do on Wednesday if I do this set again and fail?

Have you had a chance to look at the Starting Strength Wiki? It's a pretty good resource if you're on the program.

Regarding deloads, start here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Stalling.2C_Resetting_and_Progressing

SeanR1221

Damn, I imagine it's constant too. Hope it gets better soon.

It is. Since 1am. I woke up 4 times last night in pain. You know that pinched nerve feeling you sometimes get when lifting and it goes away in a couple minutes?

Yeah I've had that feeling for 18 hours now.

Worst part is I wanted to see my doctor but she said go to the ER. The ER doctor is like eh take your pain meds if it's not better by Thursday we'll do more.

I'm not paying the 100.00 co pay for that ER visit. Luckily I have the paperwork saying it was caused by my IV. Gonna fight it saying it wasn't my mistake.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

He's a an idiot. "Severing your spine?" Get the fuck out of here.

I train for powerlifting. The only time I put the weight down slowish is on warm ups to get the muscle ready. At heavy weight or for reps slowly putting the weight down will only needlessly fatigue you. So I let the weight down as effortlessly as possible but keep it under control.

Now for BB I'd do slow controlled reps both concentric and eccentric.

And for reference, the deadlift is considered a complete lift once it's locked out. Anything after that is simply resetting the bar.

gorfyako

Banned
Have you had a chance to look at the Starting Strength Wiki? It's a pretty good resource if you're on the program.

Regarding deloads, start here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Stalling.2C_Resetting_and_Progressing

Less than 5 reps in first set, or, 3 or more missed reps in all 3 sets (ie. 200 x 4/4/4) is considered a “missed attempt.” Keep the weight the same for the following workout. At this point you have 2 more chances to get all your reps. If you get your reps on either of the two following workouts, keep progressing from there.
That's pretty much what I wish I had read months (years) ago. Thanks a lot for the help.
EDIT: Guess I oughtta pick up some 1.25lb. plates.
EDIT2: I've been doing
Squat 3x5
BP/OHP 3x5
Chin-ups 3 sets (Wednesday), Pull-ups 3 sets (Friday), Deadlift 1x5 (Sunday)

Forgot where I saw this years back, but I don't see it on this list. Should I switch it up?

I need tips on a good post workout/fourth meal shake. Something with a ton of calories i can blend up and drink. Its gotta be cheap though. Im thinking peanut butter and ice cream and a banana but what else can i add?

Cooter

Haven't felt this healthy in months. Decided to give BB bench a try. Could only finish at 275 for four. Amazing how you lose it if you don't use it.

Bowser

Dudes, found a nut butter for the ages:

adirondackjack.jpg

A beautiful Combination of our delicious Almond Butter, blended with our famous Plain Jane Peanut Butter, deep and luscious red cranberries, some omega rich flax seeds, a few heart healthy sunflower seeds for crunch, a drizzle of pure clover honey and finished off with a hint of cinnamon.

Tastes amazing...but it costs $15/jar at Whole Foods :(

Not bad. Engage your glutes and flare your lats before you unrack the bar. You will feel tighter.

Engage glutes and flare lats. I can handle that. Thanks for the input. I consider you to be one of the most straight forward guys in FitGAF, so getting a "not bad" from you gives me some confidence that I'm on the path to good OHP form.

I don't feel I have a license to offer critique on the ohp lift but dude, I have to commend you for your arm control, each rep looks really symmetrical. You control the movement very well, there's great range of motion and the barbell follows a precise path,

from my perspective, you nailed it but maybe other guys can point at areas to improve..

Thanks sphinx. I'll be loading up videos of my other compound lifts soon and I'm hoping I get as positive of a response as my OHP, but I suspect my squat and deadlift will be quite a bit worse as they're always the trickiest in my opinion

wpOIisd.jpg

Ok GAF bros and gals. Estimate my bodyfat.

I think 13%. The lighting isn't doing you justice as there's a heavy shadow over your abs with no real highlights, so it's harder for us to see any definition there. But, if you're going for 10%, you're certainly well on your way. Good luck.

Cooter

That's good to hear. I'm thinking strict diet + 4 cardio days a week will get me then. Or do I need to more cardio than that? My cardio is usually 2-3 miles of run/jog cycles.
The cardio isn't necessary actually. If you do it make sure to get plenty of protein. With a calorie deficit and heavy cardio you're going to need plenty of protein to keep as much muscle as possible.

Squats!

Ok, I can see the obvious issues myself, shameful. I am rounding the back as I go down, and I am not quite breaking parallel. I swear I try to maintain the back extended, even wear the belt for that, but damn there's still lots of work to do. What other issues do you see guys? Any tips?

SAMPLE 1

SAMPLE 2

Matugi

Squats!

Ok, I can see the obvious issues myself, shameful. I am rounding the back as I go down, and I am not quite breaking parallel. I swear I try to maintain the back extended, even wear the belt for that, but damn there's still lots of work to do. What other issues do you see guys? Any tips?

SAMPLE 1

SAMPLE 2

You're exaggerating two things: 1)the forward bend at your hips at set up and 2)the actual hip breaking motion. You need to be a lot more upright than you currently are before your descend into the squat. Right now you are bending way too far over at the waist, which is causing you to put a lot of stress on your lower back and is turning the lift into a goodmorning as you come up. Unlocking the hips does not mean to bend over at the waist, but rather to roll the hips back so you can open them up and descend down into the squat. When it comes to clearing your hips, it looks as if you're doing this by flexing your lumbar spine. As I said above, you need to roll your hips back and brace your core. It looks like you pretty well understand the general concept but imagine you are trying to sit down in a chair. Would you flex your lumbar spine to sit? No, you'd shift your weight back onto your heels as you use your entire spine to guide your butt into the seat. As you are currently doing you aren't maintaining a strong, neutral spine angle.

The main reason why you aren't breaking parallel is because of these two things. You aren't clearing your hips properly which limits how far you can descend into the squat, and when you actually do descend your spine angle is all kinds of fucked up which is causing you to essentially fold in half at the waist as you can see at about :36 in your second video. The folding in half thing also tells me that your weight is likely towards the balls of your feet as opposed to middle/back. It's bringing the entire lift forward which is another reason why you're essentially being hindered by the presence of your quads in the path of your descent

Barzul

The cardio isn't necessary actually. If you do it make sure to get plenty of protein. With a calorie deficit and heavy cardio you're going to need plenty of protein to keep as much muscle as possible.
The past two weeks. I've up my protein intake considerably and my dinners consist mostly of only protein. I do think I'll have to eat a bigger deficit as I've probably been doing around 300 cals deficit. Anyways thanks for the advice.

Cooter

The past two weeks. I've up my protein intake considerably and my dinners consist mostly of only protein. I do think I'll have to eat a bigger deficit as I've probably been doing around 300 cals deficit. Anyways thanks for the advice.
You're welcome. It's mostly trial and error. What may be an acceptable amount of calories for me to cut up quickly may be different than your number. Just keep counting and keep tracking. If you are unsure always round up. Good luck.

Blablurn

Let's say u go for a 1500 calories diet. And you go jogging which cuts out 400 calories. Can I equalize those 400 calories with more food? Basically you eat 1900 calories in the end but lose 400 due to jogging. Or is it better to stay at 1500, even with jogging. So u end up with 1100 in the end?

Simple question. But I wasn't sure about it.

Let's say u go for a 1500 calories diet. And you go jogging which cuts out 400 calories. Can I equalize those 400 calories with more food? Basically you eat 1900 calories in the end but lose 400 due to jogging. Or is it better to stay at 1500, even with jogging. So u end up with 1100 in the end?

Simple question. But I wasn't sure about it.

You figure your basal metabolic rate based on age, height, weight, etc. Let's say that comes out to needing around 1,900 calories a day to maintain your weight. If you want to lose weight, you would eat less than 1,900 (maybe 1,500 or more or less depending on your goals/time frame). If you go jogging and it burns ~400 calories, then yes, you'd need to eat 400 extra calories that day. So if you were eating 1,500 but went jogging and burned 400 more, you'd want 1900 for that day. You should still be on the path to weight loss. Basically, if you don't add more calories to compensate for extra calories burned on particularly active days, you're going to lose weight too rapidly and end up losing excessive amounts of muscle.

That's my understanding, anyway.

EDIT: You also need to account for your general activity level, so please see this post for some clarification.

Blablurn

You figure your basal metabolic rate based on age, height, weight, etc. Let's say that comes out to needing around 1,900 calories a day to maintain your weight. If you want to lose weight, you would eat less than 1,900 (maybe 1,500 or more or less depending on your goals/time frame). If you go jogging and it burns ~400 calories, then yes, you'd need to eat 400 extra calories that day. So if you were eating 1,500 but went jogging and burned 400 more, you'd want 1900 for that day. You should still be on the path to weight loss. Basically, if you don't add more calories to compensate for extra calories burned on particularly active days, you're going to lose weight too rapidly and end up losing excessive amounts of muscle.

That's my understanding, anyway.

Alright, bro! Make sense :D Wasnt sure about it though. Thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom