• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

theytookourjobz

Is the mixed grip in these movements legit technique? pls help

Yeah, it's a strongman thing called a continental clean but those people have no business doing it.

So I'm 30 on Saturday and my goal of a 500# deadlift is getting close. Might try on Saturday if I feel good. Got a few of my heavier sets on video from the past month.

400x8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwfKctVkGOY

445x2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfRxJFxfqWU

512x1 below the knee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGPAD3RATW8

BumRush

Only thing that does scare me is if it will be like this

https://youtu.be/M8up6A4QesU

Wow, that's cringeworthy. The "trainers" look pleased too...

Yeah, it's a strongman thing called a continental clean but those people have no business doing it.

So I'm 30 on Saturday and my goal of a 500# deadlift is getting close. Might try on Saturday if I feel good. Got a few of my heavier sets on video from the past month.

400x8

445x2

512x1 below the knee

Those 445s looks easy, jobz. Well done.

blackflag

So.. I was in the mood to do a comparison and put these back pics, right is current and left is from a series/shooting and it's the most similar to my stance on the right. light makes it kind of pointless but I think I've attained some size since and some V form is starting to show.

espalda2015_zpsasxhi2ly.jpg

I used to enjoy running around and doing calisthenics , tralalee tralalaa having fun jumping around. lol

EDIT: Damn first post in a page...-_-

Big difference there. Props man.

Szu

400x8

445x2

512x1 below the knee

Awesome lifts. Enjoy the end of your 20's. You're like a powerlifting baby.

J. Bravo

my friend DL'd 485. not sure how much he weighs, but there isn't much fat on him haha. and he runs half marathons on the reg and takes first in his age division. He's in the air force. I think he's a future brolic haha.

Angel_DvA

You say you are using myfitnesspal, but are you weighing your food to make sure? I ask because I made the same mistake.

In the early days, you can build muscle while losing fat. But it won't last long. Eventually you'll need to eat over your maintenance to build muscle.

Cardio only burns calories and makes you good at cardio. I think it is a waste of time, however.

IMO, you should get your diet in order first. From there, start lifting. The results should be showing by then. Adjust calories from there. Think long term.

I'm not really weighing my food but I will.

Today the dude from the gym tell me that I should continue with the workout but doing more repetition with less time to rest, something like 5x20 on everything and skip the cardio because I will lose too much fat and muscles at the same time...

He also said that I have to do 45 min of treadmill at 15% slope and at 5km/h... any thoughts ? is he full of shit or that make sense ?

thanks for the help.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Today the dude from the gym tell me that I should continue with the workout but doing more repetition with less time to rest, something like 5x20 on everything and skip the cardio because I will lose too much fat and muscles at the same time...

He also said that I have to do 45 min of treadmill at 15% slope and at 5km/h... any thoughts ? is he full of shits or that make sense ?

thanks for the help.

Pretty much. 5x20 is ridiculous, unnecessary, and ineffective.

SeanR1221

Daaaamn got an invite from Steve, Iron Sport is having a fun mock meet night + burgers. Gotta check my schedule to make sure nothing's going on

andycapps

He also said that I have to do 45 min of treadmill at 15% slope and at 5km/h... any thoughts ? is he full of shit or that make sense ?

thanks for the help.

Pretty much everything he told you was wrong.. You'll lose fat and muscle when you lose weight, but you want to try to preserve as much as possible when you do cardio. Slow and low intensity for an extended period of time is best for losing fat and maintaining muscle, but it's a poor use of time, so HIIT is recommended for time and being almost as good as preserving muscle.

That said, I think he's right in that lifting is more important than cardio and you need to make sure you are lifting and don't do cardio only, and make sure you're getting enough protein. I'm not of the sort that thinks cardio is completely unnecessary, particularly if you have a lot to lose. That said, diet is most important, followed by weights, followed by cardio.

If you're new, I don't think 5x20 is a great workout. Makes more sense to go for lower reps and higher weights so you can take advantage of noob gains.

Anybody ever do any low weight burnout sets at the end of their workouts? Thinking of adding in some of those to change things up.

Szu

Well, for the past three weeks, I've gone into PT mode for my wife. She been out of the gym for over a year, but for a really good reason. That reason currently being our 10-month son.

I'm determined to get her into doing proper squats. I started her off with just some BW squats two weeks ago.

Last night, I used a 12 lbs and 15 lbs bar to gauge her level. I had her do sets of 10. She had no problem with the 12 lbs, so we jumped right to the 15. The 15 lbs was getting to be a struggle by the third set.

As she was resting, I bring along a 30 lbs bar, she looked at me like I was crazy. Then, I told her that we were only going to use it as a one rep test. She was reluctant, but I talked her into it. Once the bar was set, she did her one rep and told me that it felt fine.

I said, "Good, now do four more."

Hehehehe, but she was able to do them.

Next week, she's going to try the bar. She just doesn't know it yet.

Cagey

Banned
Well, for the past three weeks, I've gone into PT mode for my wife. She been out of the gym for over a year, but for a really good reason. That reason currently being our 10-month son.

I'm determined to get her into doing proper squats. I started her off with just some BW squats two weeks ago.

Last night, I used a 12 lbs and 15 lbs bar to gauge her level. I had her do sets of 10. She had no problem with the 12 lbs, so we jumped right to the 15. The 15 lbs was getting to be a struggle by the third set.

As she was resting, I bring along a 30 lbs bar, she looked at me like I was crazy. Then, I told her that we were only going to use it as a one rep test. She was reluctant, but I talked her into it. Once the bar was set, she did her one rep and told me that it felt fine.

I said, "Good, now do four more."

Hehehehe, but she was able to do them.

Next week, she's going to try the bar. She just doesn't know it yet.

From my experience in training my wife the past couple months, the mental aspect is the toughest initial obstacle to climb over. If the weight looks intimidating, it becomes heavier. For example, if your wife knows she did 30 lbs last week and can see you brought over a bar labeled 40 lbs for her to squat, and she considers that a huge jump, she might struggle more than putting the 45 lb Olympic bar on her back because she's unaware of the weight of the bar.

Last night I had to resort to plate tricks to get her to deadlift 135. Two plates = terrifying, couldn't (read: wouldn't) do one rep last week. Sneaking 25 + 10 + 10 onto the bar when I'm the one doing the math, and she's just putting on what I say and trying to lift the weight, she managed 5 reps. Didn't appear as scary so she wasn't mentally fighting the lift.

ILoveBish

Got 390x3 on deadlift today. Felt good but I freaking hate the 24 hour plates. Drops in different spots. The last rep was bad but still got it. So far hitting every rep on every set. Back to 1400 calories also and super strict. Let's go.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Floor dirt, LOL. What went through your head when you decided it'd be a good idea? Your dedication is awesome dude.

I had no straps or chalk, no one in the gym had chalk, even though I left a block there and I was determined to deadlift heavy.

Like I said, it worked, but it messed my hands up a bit (cuts, torn callouses etc).

Is the mixed grip in these movements legit technique? pls help

Yes, it's called a continental clean and its used in strongman.

Well, see it's already been covered.
And nice!
It kinda makes sense. When you're throwing around corpses, you're going to get dirt on your hands.

Lol

Ugh, I really can't be arsed eating tonight. I'm so, so sick of cooking and I've got nothing pre-prepared in the freezer as I've been too busy with work.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Bought a mortar and pestle. Chicken breast becomes way more tolerable when you can make a paste from any spice and herb you can get your hands on. Thinking about making s Jamaican jerk with it. Already made a garlic and oregano paste earlier today that was nice and fresh tasting. I feel so bad for the bros that just throw a plain chicken breast in the oven until its ready to be devoured.

ILoveBish

Ugh, I really can't be arsed eating tonight. I'm so, so sick of cooking and I've got nothing pre-prepared in the freezer as I've been too busy with work.

I would have failed a long time ago if i didnt have 4-16 days of food ready in the freezer. It is how i survive. Im actually down to a weeks worth a food atm, and have enough chicken to make another 12 days of food, then its restock time.

I would have failed a long time ago if i didnt have 4-16 days of food ready in the freezer. It is how i survive. Im actually down to a weeks worth a food atm, and have enough chicken to make another 12 days of food, then its restock time.

I usually have a couple of weeks, but I'm really up against it at the moment.

Visceir

Can't stand food like that. Everything fresh, every day -- allows me to decide what I want to eat. I buy my chicken fillet pre-marinated and it'll take me just 15 - 20 min to cook it in a pan, rice can be cooked at the same time.

bchamba

aMttY84l.jpg

Worked up to a 535 reverse band deadlift for my max effort lower body day tonight. About 120 lbs of assistance at the bottom and no tension at the top. This was a 30 lb PR for me in about 6 or 7 weeks.

ILoveBish

Can't stand food like that. Everything fresh, every day -- allows me to decide what I want to eat. I buy my chicken fillet pre-marinated and it'll take me just 15 - 20 min to cook it in a pan, rice can be cooked at the same time.

I don't leave it to chance, and i don't eat for pleasure, i eat just to hit my macros. Even tho what i eat is delicious, it just came about just to hit my macros. My desire to hit 12-15% BF is much higher then the joy of eating for a season. Once i hit that BF%, i'll have to eat more food anyway during recomp, so i'll be able to eat more and maybe introduce a fresh salad daily, but i am not looking forward to eating more at all.

Bought a mortar and pestle. Chicken breast becomes way more tolerable when you can make a paste from any spice and herb you can get your hands on. Thinking about making s Jamaican jerk with it. Already made a garlic and oregano paste earlier today that was nice and fresh tasting. I feel so bad for the bros that just throw a plain chicken breast in the oven until its ready to be devoured.

I did this many times, when I was a little less dexterous around the kitchen.

I still do this with vegetables sometimes, which I find more tolerable and tasty than chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom