• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm on track to be well under 230 by my competitions (STL strongest man and the push/pull meet). Pretty stoked. Would be even more awesome if somehow I can hit 220 for the push pull, but that's a stretch. At that weight I would decimate everyone at the gym.

Weighed in at 239 this morning.

I'm on track to be well under 230 by my competitions (STL strongest man and the push/pull meet). Pretty stoked. Would be even more awesome if somehow I can hit 220 for the push pull, but that's a stretch. At that weight I would decimate everyone at the gym.

Weighed in at 239 this morning.

The competition is in May, right? Sounds like you're doing pretty good, congrats!

I just weighed in at 175.4lbs today. I was trying to look for pictures from back when I was 225+ lbs, but then I kinda realized that my fat self hated pictures. Now, I'm thinking about it and it seems like that attitude has continued and I haven't taken any pictures for the longest time lol.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've gotta say, I'm loving these Brolic cut updates. It feels like some parallel universe FitGaf I stumbled into.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The competition is in May, right? Sounds like you're doing pretty good, congrats!

I just weighed in at 175.4lbs today. I was trying to look for pictures from back when I was 225+ lbs, but then I kinda realized that my fat self hated pictures. Now, I'm thinking about it and it seems like that attitude has continued and I haven't taken any pictures for the longest time lol.

May 9th is St. Louis strongest man/woman and may 16th is the push/pull.

Also, I've always had that mentality. Even when I was 180lbs in the army and looked good I thought I looked like shit. It's purely mental.

I've gotta say, I'm loving these Brolic cut updates. It feels like some parallel universe FitGaf I stumbled into.

I tell ya what. Nothing stirs motivation like a competition to make weight and push your training hard as hell.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Quick question. Looking to buy whey protein and from what I can find online prices are better. Does anyone have a recommended site I can use ? They would have to be able to ship to Canada. I've found different brands and what not but would prefer the tried and tested approach.

Quick question. Looking to buy whey protein and from what I can find online prices are better. Does anyone have a recommended site I can use ? They would have to be able to ship to Canada. I've found different brands and what not but would prefer the tried and tested approach.

Amazon with Prime is hard to beat.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

I think I'm going to start this program today, what do you guys think? Going to do something different on lower power day, no way in hell I'm going to squat and deadlift heavy back to back.

What are your goals, exactly? I think it's a bit excessive (though I'm a bit lazy), but it should work fine. 6-8 sets total of squats/deads back to back is brutal though.

May 9th is St. Louis strongest man/woman and may 16th is the push/pull.

Also, I've always had that mentality. Even when I was 180lbs in the army and looked good I thought I looked like shit. It's purely mental.

Sweet, hope you drop it enough for both. Did you ever get over that mental block? I might have to try and get into more pictures, I refused the option of before/after pics to reflect progress and now I'm seeing that it's one of the superior ways to gauge progress.

Chocobro

Any input? I'm going to try and add 5lb to the big main lifts every week to two weeks.
Current stats
bench: 190x5
OHP: 130x5
Squat: 245x5

As much as I like Brandon Campbell and his videos, I much rather do CanditoTrainingHQ's program(s). Specifically Candito's linear program if you're going to try to add 5# to the main lifts every week or two; he says to increase the weight 0-10 lbs every week. He has a few variations for his linear program: Strength/Control, Strength/Power, and Strength/Hypertrophy.

Szu

Exactly. And a place where MTP has small traps and Imm0rt4l is just average strength. It's odd.

MTP taking pictures of salads.
Immort4l isn't a scary mofo.
FE being half-Cuban, half-Korean (as opposed to half-Korean, half-Cuban).
sphinx is a rock and roll guitarist.
Pyschotext is a normal well-adjusted member of society.
Spiritreaver has insane arms and still above average legs.
Cooter goes to a gym that doesn't look like a McDonald's exploded inside it.
And I can't touch my toes.

Sadetar

Saw my physiotherapist today. Instead of giving me a permission to do squats and deadlifts she send me back to work out with the machines. I feel that this is quite much the same situation as a year ago (the only difference is that I have been working out a year now and lost 50 pounds). Today when I was out of pain medication she and I noticed it is far from healthy even if the rest has helped. I am not going to do anything that will in any way cause sciatica nerve to act up so I am mainly going to do upper body work outs. I can try to do bodyweight squats. I will be going to the gym twice a week, core muscle traning 3 times a week and Nordic walking 3 times a week till early May. She also diagnosed it to be the hearniated disk again while the doc thought it was the piriformis muscle. It might be both so I better be very careful not to make them any worse. At least I have now better understanding of what to do. My physiotherapist has worked with me 2,5 years now so I quite much just follow everything she says to me. It has worked quite fine this far. Hopefully what ever it may be will just heal quickly.

Has anyone here actually seen their calves improve?
am0WXwo_700b_v2.jpg

I think that is way more common than people think it is.

When I was 16-18-years-old I was actually pretty fit and curvy in a very nice way now when I think of it but back then I always saw myself as an ugly fat pig and hated every photo that was taken. Now I look at them and just wish I could look even half as good. I generally hope that people would be more merficul towards themself and give themselves more credit.

Sweet, hope you drop it enough for both. Did you ever get over that mental block? I might have to try and get into more pictures, I refused the option of before/after pics to reflect progress and now I'm seeing that it's one of the superior ways to gauge progress.
Comparison pics might be the only way for me at the moment to see any kind of changes. I am slightly annoyed I haven't taken more photos for reference. You should start to take pictures right now. :p

Guys can you PLEASE help me:

I am CONSTANTLY getting shocked by my treadmill, and I just cant run without having this issue fixed. I have no idea what to do and it's driving me insane.

We needed to originally replace the drive belt, so we took off the front roller. Now originally, a ground wire was running from the metal frame to the front roller screw that was holding the front roller in place.

When I put the treadmill back together and got shocked, I thought I had put the wire back in wrong, but there is nowhere to put it.

Then I put a rubber mat under the treadmill (usually on basement carpet), but the rubber covers the metal on the front (it's not fully on rubber, would that help?). That didn't work.

Tried running without socks, with socks, with shoes, but I'm still getting shocked.

I have no idea what to do, and it's ruining my physical and mental health not being able to run.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well shoulder appears to b okay. Did 320 3x5 on bench today with only minor discomfort. Definitely a good sign.

What are your goals, exactly? I think it's a bit excessive (though I'm a bit lazy), but it should work fine. 6-8 sets total of squats/deads back to back is brutal though.

No. I don't think I ever will.

You mean like some kind of Star Trek universe where everyone including myself has goatees.

Exactly. And a place where MTP has small traps and Imm0rt4l is just average strength. It's odd.

Lol

sphinx

the piano man
Not I, but I have seen more definition in them. That's pretty much the best I can get out of them.

Mine become more "toned", but no noticeable mass gained

Yes, but to get the sort of improvement I've got you're looking at hundreds of hours of cycling. :p

Very slightly, maybe an inch over a year or so. I train them like so: Training the Calves

It's as good a method as any but we all know there are only 3 roads to big calves:
Genetics
Being obese for a while & losing the weight
Being short and spending your whole life on your tiptoes reaching for stuff

this is my case too but I actually stopped trying. A year ago, when I was showing calf pics here I did see some improvement, small compared to biceps or chest but there was it.

but I have to point out, I don't think it was because of standing calf raises on that machine gyms have. It's a mix of intensive, years long cardio activity that involve legs (biking, hiking or running) and squatting what I think has brought whatever results I've had over the years.

in Mexico I am jogging ourdoors in a very crowded place on sunday morning, you guys would KILL to have the calves I see there, some random, rather old guys with random no-gym bodies, with calves the size of Cooter's or Spiritreaver's arms. I am like "woah, where does THAT come from??" I am jealous as all hell... and motivated at the same time.

MTP taking pictures of salads.
Immort4l isn't a scary mofo.
FE being half-Cuban, half-Korean (as opposed to half-Korean, half-Cuban).
sphinx is a rock and roll guitarist.
Pyschotext is a normal well-adjusted member of society.
Spiritreaver has insane arms and still above average legs.
Cooter goes to a gym that doesn't look like a McDonald's exploded inside it.
And I can't touch my toes.

lol no way, guitar is hard as fuck, give me a basoon or an oboe if there's no piano

Fitness-GAF, I could use your help.

I recently moved into a new apartment complex, and there's a communal gym room with treadmills and Bowflexes and shit. I've never really done anything in a gym before, but this seemed like a good place to start. Only one problem... I don't think I have any exercise appropriate clothing. I have like... jeans and cargo pants and t-shirts. Seems like that wouldn't work. And I don't own sweat pants. Cause you know... sweat pants.

So uh, help me out here. What kinda clothing should I order off of Amazon?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Fitness-GAF, I could use your help.

I recently moved into a new apartment complex, and there's a communal gym room with treadmills and Bowflexes and shit. I've never really done anything in a gym before, but this seemed like a good place to start. Only one problem... I don't think I have any exercise appropriate clothing. I have like... jeans and cargo pants and t-shirts. Seems like that wouldn't work. And I don't own sweat pants. Cause you know... sweat pants.

So uh, help me out here. What kinda clothing should I order off of Amazon?
Basketball shorts, t shirts, and tank tops. That should just about cover it.

Guys can you PLEASE help me:

I am CONSTANTLY getting shocked by my treadmill, and I just cant run without having this issue fixed. I have no idea what to do and it's driving me insane.

We needed to originally replace the drive belt, so we took off the front roller. Now originally, a ground wire was running from the metal frame to the front roller screw that was holding the front roller in place.

When I put the treadmill back together and got shocked, I thought I had put the wire back in wrong, but there is nowhere to put it.

Then I put a rubber mat under the treadmill (usually on basement carpet), but the rubber covers the metal on the front (it's not fully on rubber, would that help?). That didn't work.

Tried running without socks, with socks, with shoes, but I'm still getting shocked.

I have no idea what to do, and it's ruining my physical and mental health not being able to run.

I can't speak for treadmills in general, but from an electricity standpoint, I'd connect a metal surface from the treadmill (ideally one connected to whatever surface is shocking you) to a ground in your house... like a radiator or something similar.

Also, it might not be the treadmill. Have you tried changing what you're wearing on the rest of your body? I have t-shirts that literally spark when I take them off (if I turn the lights of you can see the lights, it's freaky).

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Face pulls?

Are you trying to fix your posture?

Yeah I suppose. I don't like how my shoulders always get pulled up while doing stuff like OHP or hanging off of a pull-up bar. My shoulder blades really need some work. I do Bent Over Rows, Dumbbell Rows, Deadlifts, and Lat Pulldowns but I don't know if any of those are good for targeting my shoulders to be down and back.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I suppose. I don't like how my shoulders always get pulled up while doing stuff like OHP or hanging off of a pull-up bar. My shoulder blades really need some work. I do Bent Over Rows, Dumbbell Rows, Deadlifts, and Lat Pulldowns but I don't know if any of those are good for targeting my shoulders to be down and back.
Beyond focusssing on maintaining position during those movements, try adding reverse flyes, face pulls and maybe something extra for the serratus (check the comments at this link for a bunch of options).

Haven't hit the gym regularly since football in my freshman year of high school. I'm a sophomore in college, going to Florida at the end of June. Time to find a way around my busy schedule!

You guys have any recommendations other than what's in the OP? What are the right supplements for a poor college kid? And what food should I aim for? My parents will probably help with the food, just not supplements.

In college? Best supplement you can take is sleep. 8 hours.

Powercast

As much as I like Brandon Campbell and his videos, I much rather do CanditoTrainingHQ's program(s). Specifically Candito's linear program if you're going to try to add 5# to the main lifts every week or two; he says to increase the weight 0-10 lbs every week. He has a few variations for his linear program: Strength/Control, Strength/Power, and Strength/Hypertrophy.

Candito's Periodized program is pretty amazing too. Almost done with my first cycle (5 weeks) and my squat 1rm increased ~12kg (26,5lbs).

andycapps

Got some True Nutrition protein a few days ago. Only tried the chocolate peanut butter cup so far but I like it. At about $10 a pound it's really not bad. Only thing that I dislike is $8.50 for shipping, but if you buy a decent amount it evens out.

bchamba

Brolic if you make weight for your strongman competition without having to do a water cut then losing 10 more lbs in a week only doing water loading/depletion is easily doable.

5/3/1 people:

When you fail to hit a rep goal, is it on 5s week or 1s week or even on 3s week? I've only just started on my 3rd cycle and haven't failed yet but I wanted to know where people usually stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom