• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brolic if you make weight for your strongman competition without having to do a water cut then losing 10 more lbs in a week only doing water loading/depletion is easily doable.

That's what I'm hoping to do. Assuming I'm not completely beat up from The strongman comp. in which case I'll just weight on at whatever I'm at.

Where do gyms like this exist?

There is like 1 cage and one squat rack at my gym and people are always doing curls in it or the room its in has a class going on for women.

That's a crossfit box.

The gym I had at FLETC was like this too. It was amazing.

If you want a gym like that you need to find a powerlifting/strongman/BB gym.

Fox318

I would like to find a new gym I think.

I mean the machines are nice but I feel like there isn't a day that goes by where somebody is doing deadlifts in the squat rack.

And nobody except for a few use the Smiths machine so why even have one.

iddqd

That's a crossfit box.
The gym I had at FLETC was like this too. It was amazing.
If you want a gym like that you need to find a powerlifting/strongman/BB gym.

Looks like a Box, probably costs like one too but is actually not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVySz3JfQGQ

A ton of his recent videos, as well as some Supertraining stuff were shot there, hence me recognizing it.

The gym I train here in Canada is very similar and it makes me sad to leave it when I move to Germany.
I even missed that gym when I lived in bigger cities. Good gyms are a rare breed.

andycapps

5/3/1 people:

When you fail to hit a rep goal, is it on 5s week or 1s week or even on 3s week? I've only just started on my 3rd cycle and haven't failed yet but I wanted to know where people usually stall.

I find it depends very much on how much sleep I had the night before or how much food I've been eating. Where I stall seems to vary.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Looks like a Box, probably costs like one too but is actually not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVySz3JfQGQ

A ton of his recent videos, as well as some Supertraining stuff were shot there, hence me recognizing it.

The gym I train here in Canada is very similar and it makes me sad to leave it when I move to Germany.
I even missed that gym when I lived in bigger cities. Good gyms are a rare breed.

So it's just a legit sport/strength gym.

CrossFit box? That's a new term for me.

It's what crossfit gyms are called.

Chocobro

So it's just a legit sport/strength gym.

It's what crossfit gyms are called.

I figured that's what it was called. I just found it weird to call Barbell Brigade a CrossFit box is all.
But yes, Bart Kwan and Geo own Barbell Brigade and it's a legit gym. They had an old location but moved to a new location (the current one) a few months ago. IIRC, the rates are pretty decent too: $55/mo. Here's what they have:

84a5e6d3e720a5dc1182a8e9c2f67db5.png

I would go there if I lived in California and close enough to the gym.
I've been following Bart and the JustKidding crew for quite some time lol.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Now that I deadlift every 2 weeks it is very clear to me that it is my favorite exercise. I actually go to bed in a good mood because when I wake up it will be DL day.

Faiz

5/3/1 people:

When you fail to hit a rep goal, is it on 5s week or 1s week or even on 3s week? I've only just started on my 3rd cycle and haven't failed yet but I wanted to know where people usually stall.

I just stalled for the first time on cycle 7 for squats (and it was on both 5 and 3, not eexpecting to get my 1 next week either), but I'm also coming off of a nasty stomach virus and not getting enough sleep lately.

I will probably repeat this cycle for squats in a couple weeks :/.

ILoveBish

Squats and ohp days done for deload week. Still feel really strong. Scale broke at home after like 12 years. Ordered a new one from Amazon. Will be weird to have a more acurate scale.

Kimaxe

Good evening FitGAF ! This is a quick update for posterity, and maybe tips. Started from nothing, 69kg for 1m90 (~155lbs for 6ft 3") two months ago, no physical activity since an eternity. Gains are slow, right now I'm up to 75kg. But at least I keep the motivation alive, I follow a push/pull/legs/rest plan and only missed one day (not even the leg day \o/).
Regarding the numbers, it's not great. 70lbs one-hand bench press (one-hand because I do it at home and I've only got dumbells and a barbell, I don't think it's safe if I do it with both hands if I can not handle the weights). OHP: 100lbs, the struggle is real. Deadlift: no idea what my maximum is, I loaded the bar with all my plates today (almost 155 lbs) and I did 3 sets of 8 reps, I feel I can handle more.

Moving on from GSLP to 5/3/1 (again). Wish me luck bros

My 5 rep maxes so far
205 Bench
270 Squat
320 DL
145 OHP

I was a solid 200lbs about 6 months ago now I'm about 212 at 6'1

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well, 170 lbs, cut accomplished as per my my intentions in December. Kinda miss pushing the numbers I was doing at 210, haha, but they haven't gone down that much and this is a lot better for clothing-optional parties, I have to say. ;b

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wife got me 190lbs more in plates. Also Mexican for lunch and sushi for post workout.

First time with over 500lbs on yoke. Got 525lbs for 50 feet in about 14 seconds. This is 25lbs over competition weight. So I just need to get quicker.

http://youtu.be/IEISy9t8shY

Squats and ohp days done for deload week. Still feel really strong. Scale broke at home after like 12 years. Ordered a new one from Amazon. Will be weird to have a more acurate scale.

The one thing I hated about that program. Deloads. I think they are overrated as a weekly thing. But people love them.

Moving on from GSLP to 5/3/1 (again). Wish me luck bros

My 5 rep maxes so far
205 Bench
270 Squat
320 DL
145 OHP

I was a solid 200lbs about 6 months ago now I'm about 212 at 6'1

Solid numbers. Just make sure to pick your accessory movements correctly.

Comparison pics might be the only way for me at the moment to see any kind of changes. I am slightly annoyed I haven't taken more photos for reference. You should start to take pictures right now. :p

I might actually do it tomorrow. Could be interesting, or boring, since there's only 1 month left before I gauge my progress and eat lots of tasty food.

Not sure if everyone was linking it, but was it http://www.strengtheory.com/ ?
There was another one more recent, but the name of the person was mentioned, there wasn't a link. Something about changing the format of the posts.

Man, that site. I could browse and read for days.

Cooter

Well, 170 lbs, cut accomplished as per my my intentions in December. Kinda miss pushing the numbers I was doing at 210, haha, but they haven't gone down that much and this is a lot better for clothing-optional parties, I have to say. ;b

You are 6'1 right? How long did it take to drop 40lbs?

Clothing optional? Once again proving to the world who's boss!

Wife got me 190lbs more in plates. Also Mexican for lunch and sushi for post workout.

First time with over 500lbs on yoke. Got 525lbs for 50 feet in about 14 seconds. This is 25lbs over competition weight. So I just need to get quicker.

http://youtu.be/IEISy9t8shY

The one thing I hated about that program. Deloads. I think they are overrated as a weekly thing. But people love them.

Solid numbers. Just make sure to pick your accessory movements correctly.

Thanks dude. That yoke walk is just wows

By the way I figure I'll just run the BBB template until I get tired of it

ldcommando

Banned
That was odd.

Try now.

Now it works.
And yes, it's not deep enough. What you are wearing makes it really easy to see.(white stripes not parallel)
I usually don't give advice because I don't know shit, but maybe try lowering the weights and going deeper? Unless it's a flexibility issue.

ILoveBish

Good job man, i know it was a big deal for you to get that lean. My goal is 210 and go from there, 27lbs to go. Then i'll do what you did, and buy a wardrobe lol.

About 7 sessions ago, i stopped doing the deload week, and just did the 5,3,1 weeks, then started the next set. That eventually got too much to handle and i started missing reps. These last 3 sessions, havent missed a single rep, and i follow through with the deload week proper. I also feel like its a waste of time to go so light, but i do at least push myself on the accessories and i'm in the gym at the very least doing something. Plus, i'm old, i turn 37 this year, so i don't recover like wolverine like a 19 year old would.

Who knows honestly, i am still just concentrating on fat loss, once i hit my 12-15%, i'll start a recomp and really get into it lifting wise again. Even tho lifting decently heavy now, will really push myself and eat more when i don't consider myself a fatty.

Cooter

Deloads are absolutely overrated IMO. I rotate heavy and light workouts along with squatting and DLing every other week and it's plenty. Yet again, professor Gaoler is on the money.

Bowser

So after running ICF for ~14 weeks, I started 5/3/1 today. Doing the Triumvirate template. My 5RMs at the moment:

Bench - 165lbs
Squat - 225lbs
OHP - 110lbs - :( poverty OHP
Deadlift - 235lbs

these are my "training ORMs":

Bench - 175lbs
Squat - 235lbs
OHP - 115lbs
Deadlift - 245lbs

Going to do a Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat - Bench/Squat/OHP/Deadlift split. Started with bench today. Got 150x10 on the 5+ set (probably could have gotten another rep or two, but didn't have a spotter).

Excited to run 5/3/1 for a couple of months and see how it goes.

BTW, had an insane chest pump by doing the 5/3/1 bench followed by 5 sets of DB bench press and 5 sets of Kroc rows...kept glancing at myself in the mirror towards the end lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Good job man, i know it was a big deal for you to get that lean. My goal is 210 and go from there, 27lbs to go. Then i'll do what you did, and buy a wardrobe lol.

About 7 sessions ago, i stopped doing the deload week, and just did the 5,3,1 weeks, then started the next set. That eventually got too much to handle and i started missing reps. These last 3 sessions, havent missed a single rep, and i follow through with the deload week proper. I also feel like its a waste of time to go so light, but i do at least push myself on the accessories and i'm in the gym at the very least doing something. Plus, i'm old, i turn 37 this year, so i don't recover like wolverine like a 19 year old would.

Who knows honestly, i am still just concentrating on fat loss, once i hit my 12-15%, i'll start a recomp and really get into it lifting wise again. Even tho lifting decently heavy now, will really push myself and eat more when i don't consider myself a fatty.

Could be mental, could be your caloric restriction (1400 is low as hell). Could be both. I'm 34 and haven't deloaded in over a year. Take a week or two off? Yeah, on vacation or being sick. Deload? No.

Deloads are absolutely overrated IMO. I rotate heavy and light workouts along with squatting and DLing every other week and it's plenty. Yet again, professor Gaoler is on the money.

Lol.
Thanks dude. That yoke walk is just wows

By the way I figure I'll just run the BBB template until I get tired of it

Appreciate it. And BBB is good to get the movements down but ultimately a waste IMO.

GrapeApes

Deloads sound lame till you get injured. If only I did a deload instead of starting another cycle, my groin would be a hundo. Probably won't be able to squat till the end of April. This shit has got me scared straight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deloads sound lame till you get injured. If only I did a deload instead of starting another cycle, my groin would be a hundo. Probably won't be able to squat till the end of April. This shit has got me scared straight.

You act like nobody here has been injured. It happens. And a scheduled deload is what I'm talking about. Cutting back when you aren't feeling it or switching what's to be lifted entirely is different.

Why the hell would you "shut it down" just because it's the third week of April no matter how you feel. That asinine and you very well could be cheating yourself out of the best training session you've ever had.

And if your groin is enflamed, that's a whole other issue. Learn how to fix yourself. I read the shit constantly. I'm always finding ways to fix and prehab/rehab.

GrapeApes

And if your groin is enflamed, that's a whole other issue. Learn how to fix yourself. I read the shit constantly. I'm always finding ways to fix and prehab/rehab.
Rehabbing that shit but still won't be able to go for a while. I'm still doing everything outside of squat but still a lesson for me. My deloads only come after a peak and I'm still in the gym just lower percentages. Can't see myseld actually taking a full week off.

One week of deload doesn't slow you down that much. You're either adding weight after three weeks or adding it after four.

Doing 5/3/1 for a year without deloads = 17 cycles
Doing it with = 13 cyles

So you're losing 40 lbs off your squat and DL and 20 lbs off your OHP and BP. Is that a big deal? Not to me.

I think deloading has its purpose. If you feel like you need it, then do it. If not, then continue on. As you start to become more advanced, you listen to your body more and more and know when you need or want to take the time off.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think deloading has its purpose. If you feel like you need it, then do it. If not, then continue on. As you start to become more advanced, you listen to your body more and more and know when you need or want to take the time off.

Exactly. And when it's needed it shouldn't be an across the board cut. Change what Needs changing. Nothing more.

People are so worried about overtraining they end up under training.

I'm too focused on getting strong to worry about set percentage jumps and mandatory breaks.

Rehabbing that shit but still won't be able to go for a while. I'm still doing everything outside of squat but still a lesson for me. My deloads only come after a peak and I'm still in the gym just lower percentages. Can't see myseld actually taking a full week off.

After both my competitions I'm taking a week off.

I'm too focused on getting strong to worry about set percentage jumps and mandatory breaks.

You have to remember that for a lot of individuals, they are still learning. Not to mention, the program as prescribed is perfect for their current needs. Would I say to you to follow 5/3/1 exactly with the deloads? No way, you know if it is necessary. What about someone who is starting with it? Yup, follow it as prescribed. Try a cycle or two. Then see if you still need it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You have to remember that for a lot of individuals, they are still learning. Not to mention, the program as prescribed is perfect for their current needs. Would I say to you to follow 5/3/1 exactly with the deloads? No way, you know if it is necessary. What about someone who is starting with it? Yup, follow it as prescribed. Try a cycle or two. Then see if you still need it.

I would tell those beginners the deload in 5/3/1 as a monthly occurrence is not needed. And to only use it if they feel they need it. Otherwise, skip to next cycle. I say that as someone who ran 5/3/1 for over a year.

I would tell those beginners the deload in 5/3/1 as a monthly occurrence is not needed. And to only use it if they feel they need it. Otherwise, skip to next cycle. I say that as someone who ran 5/3/1 for over a year.

I agree in that it isn't needed but I still say they should do the program as described for a cycle or two.

And I remember those 5/3/1 updates. We've come a long way baby.

Matugi

With regards to deloads, to each their own. To me they're necessary if I've plateaued so I can refocus my form and get it right with lower weight. Right now my bench form is kinda wonky and I just deloaded so I've got a chance to work on it a bit.

I'm worried that I'm not getting deep enough in my squat. I finally recorded a video.

Not the best angle but I'll take any advise

This is my 3rd of 5 sets 5x220lbs after warming up at 45, 95, 135, 185, and 205

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nth9CnBVTyY

Yes I know I need a better belt.

Yeah, you aren't hitting depth. You need to track your knees out more to open up your hips.

Could be mental, could be your caloric restriction (1400 is low as hell). Could be both. I'm 34 and haven't deloaded in over a year. Take a week or two off? Yeah, on vacation or being sick. Deload? No.

Lol.

Appreciate it. And BBB is good to get the movements down but ultimately a waste IMO.

I think I got the main lifts down pat. I'm looking at the Triumvirate template and it looks good to me but I'm too scared to do good mornings :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom