• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooper

Thanks guys. :) This is such a motivational group, even for people like me who don't post that frequently. Now if only I could get my press in line with the rest of Team C***er (ha ha).

Yeah, that's not bad at all. I tend to go with a bit straighter leg, but that took a while to do as it puts a lot of strain on your quad. All in all, solid as a rock, you make it look easy.

As for the other leg, your best bet is having something next to you so you can support yourself on the way down, that, or holding on to something in front of you. Some good advice here: http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/squat-progression.html

I'm trying to do shrimp squats now, but it's taking some time as I'm only doing bodyweight once every 10 days.

Thanks, looks like some good tips at that site. I've been doing a move kind of between steps 7 and 8, where I set the Smith bar to about hip height and hold it during the move. I can get about 12 reps this way.

I was also suprised at how bent my leg looked when I first viewed the video. I hold it as straight as I can, but like you said, I probably just need to build additional strength and flexibility in the muscle.

Oh, and happy birthday!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
If this cake talk continues much longer I'm going to have to check out of this thread. I'm entering the cravings phase of this cut and my mouth is watering just reading about cake and seeing some of these pics. Damn you Brolic!

Yea I know the feel...wait no I don't...

Apple crisp enough for everyone!

GhnAP85.jpg

rokkerkory

What do you guys recommend in terms of increasing weights each set?

For example, on bench press I normally do:

- 135 x 10
- 185 x 8
- 185 x 8
- 195 x 5-6
- 205 2-3

Should I go heavier soon in my workout set then go back down? More like:

- 135 x 10
- 185 x 8
- 205 2-3
- 195 x 5-6
- 185 x 8

???

Trying to aim to hit 205 x 5-6 and 225 x 1-2

Szu

Does this count as a pistol squat?

https://youtu.be/T1fNX9Rg-UQ

Either way, it's the first time I've been able to raise myself up unassisted. I can only do it with the right leg for now. Left, I still fall flat on my rear. Any form/technique/practice tips?

Yep, that's the good old pistol.

My left is also my weak leg. The easiest thing is stand near something that you can use to assist you ascent invade you stall.

I also find that the balance issue comes into play from your ankle. I don't any workouts off the top of my head, but there's plenty of stuff out there to improve ankle flexibity.

Guys, my wife just told me that she does not like big traps!

My missus wants me scrawny. Tough shit. My body, not hers. :p

Unrelated, thanks for the birthday wishes. I actually managed to put on weight yesterday (brute force), and I'm hoping I can stay on top of it for a week.

This was my (homemade) birthday cake:

pk2GAWR.jpg

Sadetar

EDIT: A few months ago my girlfriend's dad thought it was funny that I lifted, because I don't really look like it. I saw him again last weekend and both of her parents told her that I had definitely gained weight, in a good way. So that's cool.
Receiving positive feedback is always awesome! :D

The coolest shirt ever or the best shirt ever?

I remember the day they called me to tell me my preorder was in. Might have been the happiest day of my childhood. After The Wizard I was amped up beyond belief.
Best ever!

Totally love that game! <3

Either way, it's the first time I've been able to raise myself up unassisted. I can only do it with the right leg for now. Left, I still fall flat on my rear. Any form/technique/practice tips?
You look totally gorgeous!

I wish I will be able to do something as awesome within five years range. :)

My missus wants me scrawny. Tough shit. My body, not hers. :p

Unrelated, thanks for the birthday wishes. I actually managed to put on weight yesterday (brute force), and I'm hoping I can stay on top of it for a week.

This was my (homemade) birthday cake:

pk2GAWR.jpg
That cake! :p

You meanie, I kinda hate you now.

You should be spanked.

Hopefully you yet had awesome birthday (based on that cake it dedinitely looks like you did).

Guys, my wife just told me that she does not like big traps!
All this deadlifting and shrugging and now this!

Goodbye traps, I hardly trained ya!
No, no, no.

You do what makes you happy. If it is getting huge traps - go for it. :D

So where's the best place to get a bunch of workout clothes (more importantly like basketball/gym shorts)

I seriously only have one pair and it's kinda gross

empyrean

Just wondered if anyone would be so kind as to offer some advice.

Bit of background: I play football (American's read 'Soccer') and have on numerous occasions since the age of about 14 or 15 (now 27) hurt both my hamstrings, didn't rehab from the injuries at all really and as a result i have very bad flexibility (generally but especially in my hamstrings, for example i can get nowhere near touching my toes).

Playing football just over a week ago and i once again hurt my right hamstring (felt/kind of heard it in my head go click, went really warm and couldn't walk for a day or two.

I've started to do a few basic stretches and it feels much better (no where near enough to return to sports, but enough to stretch it etc).

I was thinking of taking up some form of yoga to try and sort out my hamstrings / lack of flexibility once and for all, can anyone recommend any good programs that would specifically help with my bad hamstrings going forward?

Many thanks,
Scott

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Haven't posted here for years but I got some advice a couple of editions back. It's a bit of a random topic, but I'm really enjoying doing handstand pushups. I can currently do 4 in a row, trying to work towards doing 10. There's just something satisfying about them. Currently I'm doing them against a wall, after being able to do ten or so I want to try and do them unassisted. I'm looking around for advice on practicing improving my balance but haven't found much yet.

Irobot82

I remember the day they called me to tell me my preorder was in. Might have been the happiest day of my childhood. After The Wizard I was amped up beyond belief.

That day you realized the wizard wasn't as good as you were a SMB3. Magic.

The coolest shirt ever or the best shirt ever?

Still confused as to how it showed as Choco!

andycapps

Galinhada??

It didn't look exactly like that, but I'm assuming people make it differently. I think that's it. So good.

Just wondered if anyone would be so kind as to offer some advice.

Bit of background: I play football (American's read 'Soccer') and have on numerous occasions since the age of about 14 or 15 (now 27) hurt both my hamstrings, didn't rehab from the injuries at all really and as a result i have very bad flexibility (generally but especially in my hamstrings, for example i can get nowhere near touching my toes).

Playing football just over a week ago and i once again hurt my right hamstring (felt/kind of heard it in my head go click, went really warm and couldn't walk for a day or two.

I've started to do a few basic stretches and it feels much better (no where near enough to return to sports, but enough to stretch it etc).

I was thinking of taking up some form of yoga to try and sort out my hamstrings / lack of flexibility once and for all, can anyone recommend any good programs that would specifically help with my bad hamstrings going forward?

Many thanks,
Scott

I'm sure there are a few people here that could help you out with this, but I don't do any yoga. Maybe Szu can help?

iddqd

Thanks for the kind words everyone,
I will not look for the traps on purpose, but if they find me, I will welcome them with open arms and treat them like a friend.

The wife, I'm sure, will come to like them and maybe one day, even love them.

trap1ltumb.jpg

this_guy

So where's the best place to get a bunch of workout clothes (more importantly like basketball/gym shorts)

I seriously only have one pair and it's kinda gross

I bought some athletic shorts on Amazon for roughly $10 each. Russel Athletic and Champion brand are both pretty cheap.

Szu

Well, last night, I did my first full deadlift session in over many years. Seriously, I haven't really tried a whole workout since I was in my 20's. I've got a whole shit list of excuses for not doing them, but that's in the past.

I fared decently after such a long lay off. After warming up, I was able work up to a single rep of 315. Not bad for practically a first time. I think my form was fine. Next time, I'll record it to check it.

My major drawback is that I have to use straps. As a result of my double elbow surgeries, my hand grip isn't what it used to be.

yogloo

Well, last night, I did my first full deadlift session in over many years. Seriously, I haven't really tried a whole workout since I was in my 20's. I've got a whole shit list of excuses for not doing them, but that's in the past.

I fared decently after such a long lay off. After warming up, I was able work up to a single rep of 315. Not bad for practically a first time. I think my form was fine. Next time, I'll record it to check it.

My major drawback is that I have to use straps. As a result of my double elbow surgeries, my hand grip isn't what it used to be.

What happened to your elbow?

Szu

What happened to your elbow?

It's actually both my elbows. I developed cubital tunnel syndrome in both my elbows. Essentially, the ulnar nerve (funny bone nerve) was compressed to the point where I developed numbness in my pinky and ring finger. In addition, serveral muscles at the back of my hand went into atrophy and they've never fully recovered.

Ulnar nerve transposition was needed to fix the problem. The doctor had to move my funny bone, which might explain my warped sense of humor.

On the plus side, I kinda have matching scars now.

Picture for anyone who has a morbid fascination with scars.

Chocobro

That day you realized the wizard wasn't as good as you were a SMB3. Magic.

I never made that post and the post it links to doesn't say that. Stop giving me a heart attack :( Thought my account was compromised.

On another note, Omar Isuf is finally getting into Olympic weightlifting. Been waiting for this to happen for a while.

Irobot82

I never made that post and the post it links to doesn't say that. Stop giving me a heart attack :( Thought my account was compromised.

On another note, Omar Isuf is finally getting into Olympic weightlifting. Been waiting for this to happen for a while.

OMG how strange is that!!!! No idea how that happened!

yogloo

It's actually both my elbows. I developed cubital tunnel syndrome in both my elbows. Essentially, the ulnar nerve (funny bone nerve) was compressed to the point where I developed numbness in my pinky and ring finger. In addition, serveral muscles at the back of my hand went into atrophy and they've never fully recovered.

Ulnar nerve transposition was needed to fix the problem. The doctor had to move my funny bone, which might explain my warped sense of humor.

On the plus side, I kinda have matching scars now.

Picture for anyone who has a morbid fascination with scars.

Ouch man. I googled cubital tunnel syndrome. It sounds bad. What caused yours?

Szu

Ouch man. I googled cubital tunnel syndrome. It sounds bad. What caused yours?

My doctor told me that my elbows were starting to develop some arthritis. This could be a result of weight lifting and working long hours on a computer. It happened to my right hand before my left hand, but there was a three year gap between them.

Dumb question, but if a routine calls for 4 sets of 1 arm dumbbell rows, I assume that is one set for each arm?

4 sets with left arm 4 sets with right arm. Thats how I would interpret it anyway, depends on whoever wrote the routine I guess, but pretty sure that's the norm.

looks good to me. I'm always embarrased when I have to try to teach someone how to do one it at the physical therapy office and I suck at it

Pouring out a protein shake for this homie

NH Apache

Banned
Hey everyone. My season just finished yesterday so I'm gonna get back into the gym. My buddy is starting the stronglifts 5x5 program. Thinking about joining him.

Anyone have any opinions on it? Didn't see anything in the OP.

Do they hold your beard for balance

they sure as hell try to

Hey everyone. My season just finished yesterday so I'm gonna get back into the gym. My buddy is starting the stronglifts 5x5 program. Thinking about joining him.

Anyone have any opinions on it? Didn't see anything in the OP.

I've always thought it was a decent program. Pretty similar to the one in the OP and I like the app for it. 5 X 5 becomes a real bitch quickly though

Nelo Ice

Banned

I can feel his lost gains fuuu.

Btw anyone recommend a program after I go off of GSLP this week?.Think I've done everything I can since in particular I nearly got the full 5 reps for deadlif but grip strength failed me after the 4th rep. I still can't get the full 3x5 for OHP since I still run out of steam after the 3rd rep on the final set. Squat I barely got 225 lbs and my bench I also barely got the last rep on my 3rd set. And for reference I weight about 140 lbs.

I think I've maxed out what I can possibly do on GSLP/SS and I'm planning on going into maintenance and or cutting next week.

Current Numbers
OHP: 95lbs 3x5
Bench: 165 lbs 3x5
Squat: 225 lbs 3x5
Deadlift 305 1x5

Cooper

You look totally gorgeous!

I wish I will be able to do something as awesome within five years range. :)

Thanks Sadetar. :) Your weight loss/body transformation is already an awesome accomplishment! I'm sure you'll do all sorts of great things as you get healthier and stronger.

Oh, and sorry to hear about the job. Hope the search for whatever you choose to do next goes smoothly.

ohhthegore said:
looks good to me. I'm always embarrased when I have to try to teach someone how to do one it at the physical therapy office and I suck at it

It's interesting to me that a pistol squat is something used in physical therapy. What kind of patients is it used for?

Thanks Sadetar. :) Your weight loss/body transformation is already an awesome accomplishment! I'm sure you'll do all sorts of great things as you get healthier and stronger.

Oh, and sorry to hear about the job. Hope the search for whatever you choose to do next goes smoothly.

It's interesting to me that a pistol squat is something used in physical therapy. What kind of patients is it used for?

We don't use it often but when we do it's usually for athletes who are working on balance and lower body strength

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Having a ton of trouble right now with tightness through my traps and some strange tightness around my tricep/shoulder area. Lifting sucks right now :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom