• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchamba

Sweatproof headphones don't exist for me. I've gone through 2 different types of jaybird headphones so now I just buy the cheapest Bluetooth headphones from Best Buy I can find every time I need a new one.

All my Beastmode apparel came in. Worked out perfectly. XL all day.

Hmmm, I will check these out. I know exactly how this will turn out tho. I will forget to charge it or charge it and just leave it at my desk lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
gonna get my medal framed today with a picture and plaque, then gonna go get membership to the strongman gym in STL.

Gonna take off lifting until Saturday.

Even your words are as big as your lifts, awesome news, man. Congrats.

I think massive gains of all sorts are on topic here. Congrats!

Dude that's incredible! More time for family and more time for lifting. Congrats.

Thanks guys, the best thing about this whole thing is it breaks the "barrier." Now it's easier for me to move up even more. The hardest thing is to break out of custody, and I managed to do it in 2 years 3 months. Feels real good.

BumRush

gonna get my medal framed today with a picture and plaque, then gonna go get membership to the strongman gym in STL.

Gonna take off lifting until Saturday.

Thanks guys, the best thing about this whole thing is it breaks the "barrier." Now it's easier for me to move up even more. The hardest thing is to break out of custody, and I managed to do it in 2 years 3 months. Feels real good.

Dude, having a set schedule makes LIFE in general a lot easier. Glad there are extra perks. Your wife and kid must be thrilled.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dude, having a set schedule makes LIFE in general a lot easier. Glad there are extra perks. Your wife and kid must be thrilled.

Yeah, they are happy as shit, we actually get to be a family. It's amazing, can't wait till I start the new position. It's a lot to learn, but worth it.

BumRush

Yeah, they are happy as shit, we actually get to be a family. It's amazing, can't wait till I start the new position. It's a lot to learn, but worth it.

So happy for you man. I know this is a fitness thread, but this is the shit that really makes me happy. Well, that and PRs.

Pyrokai

I know this isn't the Beachbody thread, but I have a question that I thought a lot of people here could help me on. This thread is also much more active.

Anyway, I have a macro question:

For anyone who has done Body Beast: do you think the eating plan and macro suggestion for the first two months of 25/50/25 suffices? I feel like it's way more carbs than necessary. I was considering changing it to 30/40/30. What do you think? Stupid?

And don't a lot of people bulk on 40/30/30? Need a little bit of advice I guess...

I didn't bother with their nutrition guide. I went with a set target of protein (grams) per day and carb cycling for non workout days.

That aside, don't obsess about the macros. As long as you're getting sufficient calories (and a good amount of protein / fat) then you'll do fine.

I know this isn't the Beachbody thread, but I have a question that I thought a lot of people here could help me on. This thread is also much more active.

Anyway, I have a macro question:

For anyone who has done Body Beast: do you think the eating plan and macro suggestion for the first two months of 25/50/25 suffices? I feel like it's way more carbs than necessary. I was considering changing it to 30/40/30. What do you think? Stupid?

And don't a lot of people bulk on 40/30/30? Need a little bit of advice I guess...

The 2 most important things is to not exceed calories and plan a diet you can stick to. Macros is way less important than those 2 factors, but here is are some rough hints that you can tune later:

Make sure to get 0.7 grams of protein per pound of your body weight. The rest of your calories would be a combination of fats and carbs, but preferably try to get at least 70 grams of fat because it has many hormonal benefits. The remaining calories can be carbs (avoid processed sugar) or more fat if you prefer to go low-carb.

For me that kind of distribution results in a 40/30/30 ratio, or 30/30/40. I also do something like 50/30/20 on rest days. But the percentage is not as important as the actual grams you are consuming of each nutrient.

CBTech

I'm starting the beginner full body workout listed in the OP. On day 2 and 3 it lists abdominal work and arm work, but doesn't list any exercises. Any recommendations on routines for abs and arm workouts that are good for a beginner?

BumRush

I'm starting the beginner full body workout listed in the OP. On day 2 and 3 it lists abdominal work and arm work, but doesn't list any exercises. Any recommendations on routines for abs and arm workouts that are good for a beginner?

My standards:

Abs - crunches (decline bench), side bends (heavy), leg lifts (dip stand)
Arms - weighted pull ups and barbell curls for biceps, dips, rope pulldowns and overhead extensions for triceps. Also, I ALWAYS superset every arm exercise I do.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Arms:

Bis- BB curls, DB curls, and anything else you can curl. Stick to hi rep stuff.
Tris- LTEs (Lying Triceps Extensions), CGBP (close grip bench press), dips, and cable pull downs.

I really stopped trying to kill my arms. I do 2 exercises of bis on chest day and 2 tris on shoulder day. I stick to the 12-15 range on everything but LTEs and CGBP. Those I load up and stay between 8-10.

As Bum said, weighted pullups will have your bis hurting too.

Abs:

The standard heavy squats and DLs is my answer. I'll do weighted decline situps and cable pull downs every now and then but it's very infrequent.

Pyrokai

I didn't bother with their nutrition guide. I went with a set target of protein (grams) per day and carb cycling for non workout days.

That aside, don't obsess about the macros. As long as you're getting sufficient calories (and a good amount of protein / fat) then you'll do fine.

Mostly just wondering here....but how did you figure out how many calories you should be eating daily in the first place? Using their (crazy) formula, it came up with eating 2,800 calories per day. I'm not really sure how I would have done it without their formula, so I'm curious how you did it without the book.

The 2 most important things is to not exceed calories and plan a diet you can stick to. Macros is way less important than those 2 factors, but here is are some rough hints that you can tune later:

Make sure to get 0.7 grams of protein per pound of your body weight. The rest of your calories would be a combination of fats and carbs, but preferably try to get at least 70 grams of fat because it has many hormonal benefits. The remaining calories can be carbs (avoid processed sugar) or more fat if you prefer to go low-carb.

For me that kind of distribution results in a 40/30/30 ratio, or 30/30/40. I also do something like 50/30/20 on rest days. But the percentage is not as important as the actual grams you are consuming of each nutrient.

As Psycho just mentioned, this is for a bulking phase. Would you still recommend these ratios? I think .7g of protein/body weight is less than what I'm eating, right?

At 2800 calories/day, this puts me at 175g of protein. So you guys are saying I shouldn't exceed 2800 calories, eat 175g of protein, and get the rest of my calories from a whatever ratio of protein and fat? This would essentially be a 25/whatever/whatever ratio. Do you think I should go with that?

Sorry....I think I am a little more confused now, haha. I also am not sure what carb cycling is.

This stuff is always the stuff I get confused and hung up on : (

And for the record, I'm 168 lbs, 5'10, and I believe I have somewhere between 15-20 percent body fat (I can't tell and I can't measure myself properly so I always guess :\ )

Mostly just wondering here....but how did you figure out how many calories you should be eating daily in the first place? Using their (crazy) formula, it came up with eating 2,800 calories per day. I'm not really sure how I would have done it without their formula, so I'm curious how you did it without the book.

In exactly the way most people do, by using online calculators to work out your normal intake, then adding the calories burned by the exercise, then adding extra calories for bulking.

Over time you get to know the numbers that work for you. For instance, I bulk at around 700kcal less than the body beast numbers had for me. If I'd have done those I'd have ended up gaining 90% of the weight as fat.

Edit - And carb cycling is eating very few carbs on particular days. In this case, non workout days.

Pyrokai

In exactly the way most people do, by using online calculators to work out your normal intake, then adding the calories burned by the exercise, then adding extra calories for bulking.

Over time you get to know the numbers that work for you. For instance, I bulk at around 700kcal less than the body beast numbers had for me. If I'd have done those I'd have ended up gaining 90% of the weight as fat.

Edit - And carb cycling is eating very few carbs on particular days. In this case, non workout days.

Ah, okay. But how do you guys know how much you burn in a workout? And how much extra is TOO much extra for bulking? As I understand it, this fluctuates depending on your body fat percentage, so how would I adjust for that?

This might be getting a little too deep. I just need to come up with a good calorie and macro ratio to eat every day I work out. Maybe I'll try to carb cycling thing once a week or so.

Edit: My main fear with the body beast plan is that it's asking me to eat far too much

Can wear a heart rate monitor. Or, many people choose to ignore calories burned when lifting and just use their base figures and adjust over time.#

The worst that can happen is you spend a few weeks dialling it in. Marathon, not sprint.

BumRush

Ah, okay. But how do you guys know how much you burn in a workout? And how much extra is TOO much extra for bulking? As I understand it, this fluctuates depending on your body fat percentage, so how would I adjust for that?

This might be getting a little too deep. I just need to come up with a good calorie and macro ratio to eat every day I work out. Maybe I'll try to carb cycling thing once a week or so.

Edit: My main fear with the body beast plan is that it's asking me to eat far too much

You sort of do it by feel, pyrokai. Just assume a typical 60 minute workout with 15 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of non-vigorous lifting = about 400 calories burned for a 6'0" 180 lbs male. http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc This site is a huge help. Once you get the feel, you'll know if you are burning more or less.

Also, as psycho said...it's a marathon not a sprint (I say that on almost every page). Just start "doing" and the #s and calculations can come later.

As Psycho just mentioned, this is for a bulking phase. Would you still recommend these ratios? I think .7g of protein/body weight is less than what I'm eating, right?

At 2800 calories/day, this puts me at 175g of protein. So you guys are saying I shouldn't exceed 2800 calories, eat 175g of protein, and get the rest of my calories from a whatever ratio of protein and fat? This would essentially be a 25/whatever/whatever ratio. Do you think I should go with that?

Sorry....I think I am a little more confused now, haha. I also am not sure what carb cycling is.

This stuff is always the stuff I get confused and hung up on : (

And for the record, I'm 168 lbs, 5'10, and I believe I have somewhere between 15-20 percent body fat (I can't tell and I can't measure myself properly so I always guess :\ )

I think you should go with that ratio. You can eat some more protein if you want but it can be difficult without resorting to a lot of powders and other processed stuff or lame ass chicken and tuna and it will only yield steep diminishing returns. 2800 at your stats sounds about right for bulking, but if you see you are getting too fat don't hesitate to lower to 2600 and so on.

Chocobro

They do, especially if you do partial reps.

Also, check out this site FitGAF: https://www.eatthismuch.com/

I stole it from another thread but it applies here.

I posted that link August of last year. Pretty nice website. For those who aren't aware, I'll just quote myself from last time:
Brandon Campbell uploaded a video about a website that gives free customized meal plans with recipes. Really neat website.
EDIT: You can choose:
- How many calorie and meals you want to eat.
- What macros you want (range or percentage). They also have presets depending on diets, such as Atkins/Keto, Paleo, etc.
- What kind of foods you do/don't want to eat.
- Whether or not you have time to cook.
- What your price range is per day.
-------------------------------------------
Some suggestions for the next OT:
* Give a list of recommendations for abs/core, arm work, etc. since it's asked about every now and then.
* Remove the first program, add Phraks GreySkull LP variant, Candito's LP program, ICF, and I guess SL.
* Change the nutrition part for MFP to include a link for a script to calculate net carbs because US nutrition facts for carbs are total carbs, not net carbs.
* Add a link to the Nutrition OT.
* Possibly remove GOMAD and 2DEAD since most of us usually wouldn't recommend it.
* Add Candito's 6 Week Strength Program to the list of intermediate programs.

BumRush

I posted that link August of last year. Pretty nice website. For those who aren't aware, I'll just quote myself from last time:

-------------------------------------------
Some suggestions for the next OT:
* Give a list of recommendations for abs/core, arm work, etc. since it's asked about every now and then.
* Remove the first program, add Phraks GreySkull LP variant, Candito's LP program, ICF, and I guess SL.
* Change the nutrition part for MFP to include a link for a script to calculate net carbs because US nutrition facts for carbs are total carbs, not net carbs.
* Add a link to the Nutrition OT.
* Possibly remove GOMAD and 2DEAD since most of us usually wouldn't recommend it.
* Add Candito's 6 Week Strength Program to the list of intermediate programs.

Smells like someone just signed up for the next OT :)

ILoveBish

I actually gained 1.6lbs past 2 days lol, up to 238! That said, I've never looked leaner and if I had to guess, I'd say I'm in the 23-24% bf range now. Getting there slowly but surely.

Gym today was great, hit 335x3 on squats nicely and kept form proper even if the last rep went up a tad slow. Still rocking 1750 calories and feeling great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Out of the blue question to all of you folks who can squat at least twice your body weight: can you also do pistol squats (one-legged squats) with relative ease? I know it's not that simple, but was just curious about everyone's experience.

Chocobro

Out of the blue question to all of you folks who can squat at least twice your body weight: can you also do pistol squats (one-legged squats) with relative ease? I know it's not that simple, but was just curious about everyone's experience.

I'm not even close to 2x BW squat but I can do pistol squats. However if I do it with my left leg extended, my left quad starts to cramp (pistol squatting with my right leg).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Think I nailed down a name for my "strength club" that I'll be doing out of my garage until I actually make a gym. Gonna see if I can't copyright it first before putting it out there. Nothing terribly original.

Also, joined that strongman gym I went to a week ago. Excited, they have a PR board so there's constant competition and there's a solid strongman crew there a few of which have been to nationals.

BumRush

I actually gained 1.6lbs past 2 days lol, up to 238! That said, I've never looked leaner and if I had to guess, I'd say I'm in the 23-24% bf range now. Getting there slowly but surely.

Gym today was great, hit 335x3 on squats nicely and kept form proper even if the last rep went up a tad slow. Still rocking 1750 calories and feeling great.

Good stuff, dude. Keep plugging away.

Brolic, you haven't ever shown us your creative side. I'm intrigued.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
First time doing volume squats in well over a month with 365...urgh I had serious IBS too..

Had 8xl eggs with two herb with cream cheese bagels followed by half of this tub of Lucious Lemon Pie Ice Cream that I'm drowning myself in right now...fucking DEEEELISH.

6ZwU9tb.jpg

PNsLVg8.jpg

Teach me about reverse dieting, GAF.

I have lost about 120 lbs dieting, but to do so I had to do terrible things. I subsist on a 200 calorie diet for most of the week then binge on Saturdays. I each one slice of bread for dinner with a thin slice of meat. For breakfast I'll have a bowl of oatmeal.

Saturdays I'll eat whatever I want. On average I'll gain about 3 to 5 lbs in that one day. On a truly epic day I've gained 8. Its heart breaking but I'll manage to loose it all and also 2 or 3 lbs by the end of the week. Keep in mine when I say truly epic, I mean that I probably only ate about 3-4k on that binge day.
I am about ten lbs away from my goal. That is about a month away. My metabolism is truly fucked. But I want to make a plan to get back to eatting like a human. And from what I've read, that is called reverse dieting. Help me out GAF.

ILoveBish

MTP, im proud i can look at all that, in detail, and it does nothing for me. Enjoy tho!

Teach me about reverse dieting, GAF.

I have lost about 120 lbs dieting, but to do so I had to do terrible things. I subsist on a 200 calorie diet for most of the week then binge on Saturdays. I each one slice of bread for dinner with a thin slice of meat. For breakfast I'll have a bowl of oatmeal.

Saturdays I'll eat whatever I want. On average I'll gain about 3 to 5 lbs in that one day. On a truly epic day I've gained 8. Its heart breaking but I'll manage to loose it all and also 2 or 3 lbs by the end of the week. Keep in mine when I say truly epic, I mean that I probably only ate about 3-4k on that binge day.
I am about ten lbs away from my goal. That is about a month away. My metabolism is truly fucked. But I want to make a plan to get back to eatting like a human. And from what I've read, that is called reverse dieting. Help me out GAF.

You need the nutrition thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869633

Also, you don't actually gain 3-5lbs on that day, its just water weight. To do that, you'd need to eat 3500 calories per pound OVER your maintenance. And i really doubt you are.

Guys, what program do you recommend during a cut to maintain strength and even make some gains? I've been doing SS but I'm stalling often even on a calorie surplus, should I continue on it?

BumRush

Its too late. I've been doing this for MONTHS.

Haha maybe stop soon?

Guys, what program do you recommend during a cut to maintain strength and even make some gains? I've been doing SS but I'm stalling often even on a calorie surplus, should I continue on it?

I'd drop the weight (90% of what you can do) but increase the reps and focus your accessories on your problem areas. You'll work through the stall slowly.

Also, drink a ton of water, get a ton of rest and maybe eat closer to gym time if possible.

NoRéN

Hey everyone. Is it possible to get a good treadmill for at or under $500? Nothing fancy but I would like it to have some options like interval settings.

Thanks for the advice.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So on Canditos 6 week again and either I need a new program or work is killing me. I work at Costco food court but the job is physically and mentally taxing, espcially when closing the place. Also all I'm gonna get are closing shifts since I'm new.

I've tried going after work and I keep falling short of reps after my 1st exercise. I feel fine but completely spent after doing 1 exercise and the requisite sets. Like last night I tore my callous again deadlifting. Feels like in general my grip on any workout and energy is being affected on every workout.

Starting to think I'm just gonna have to try and squeeze in a workout before work. Otherwise I feel like I'm losing gains and not working at anywhere near max power :(. Also i've never really had these issues until I got this job.

Mr. X

Im always scared about lifting while pissed off at the world. I feel like I get reckless.

Anyone else like to destress at the gym?

mdsfx

I need to start working out my forearms, i just realized they're tiny. Damn you genetics!
Hmm...I have never focused on such a small muscle group. I guess I assumed they would get worked out with all of the other compound exercises. You sure it's that much of a problem for you?

Szu

I think I'm going to take a two week hiatus for heavy lifting.

I've been getting tingling/numb sensation along my right arm. I think it might be a pinched nerve. It doesn't affect my workouts, but I think I should take it easy.

Also, my right back has also been acting up. Pretty sure it's related. Even stretching for me takes a bit more effort. When I do a standing ham stretch, I can barely touch the floor with my palm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom