• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

This is what I'm currently doing but I will move on to harder variations eventually such as one-arm pushups and handstand pushups.
If you consider that strength then go ahead. Doing more and more pushups is gonna do nothing for you other than give you the ability to do more pushups. Being able to do 200 pushups has no cross over to real world movement or patterns.

Leeness

My colleagues have been commenting my looks lately a bit more (in a very nice way that is) and one of them is now really excited to start to work out so I will go to gym with her next Thursday! :D I feel like a winner! Also one of my co-workers said to me today that my transformation is like one of those contestants' in reality tv-shows where people are losing weight. I thought it was a hilarious comment and I did took it in a positive way, even if I am not a fan of that kind of telly shows.

This week has been all messed up at work and two people are sick. I am so tired after a working day that also I have had hard time sticking with my programm. Four times a week is good though! You already look smashing so stick with it and stop worrying!

Today I was planning to play some Battlefield, put on the Xbox... just to wake up 5,5 hours later. :p So yeah, things don't always go as planned.

Congraaaaaats at people remarking at work! :D

Yeah, after work can be hard if you're not raring to go. But I did my strength work outs on Saturday and Sunday, and a kickboxing session tonight!

I think I need to ramp it up though with ab stuff. My gut is too gross still. :( gonna start doing the super hard cardio/standing abs dvd I have, that usually has me ready to puke, as my normal cardio. It's only 35 minutes though so I guess I'll have to add something else if I can stand it lol.

GabDX

Banned
If you consider that strength then go ahead. Doing more and more pushups is gonna do nothing for you other than give you the ability to do more pushups. Being able to do 200 pushups has no cross over to real world movement or patterns.

I think you missed the harder variation part. It takes quite a bit of strengh to do full one-arm pushups with your feet together, without relying on momentum.

But it does! For those times when you need to push an asshole at a bar towards the shelf of expensive spirits and wines.

Also pistol squats, for those times when you have an amputated leg and need to shit in the woods.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ehh... calisthenics can give you plenty of strength that is applicable to the real world--it just depends on what you're doing. If it's something that requires you to manipulate your body in a gravity-defying way, then calisthenics can be great training. A typical powerlifting champion probably can't do a lot of the stuff a high level gymnast or mountain climber can do, for example.

Train with your body to get good at doing shit with your body.

Train with weights to get good at manipulating heavy objects.

Dominator

Too many to quote, but to everyone who quoted my message with tips, I appreciate it.

I'm going to start doing an hour of cardio and an hour of weight lifting every day. Not extreme weight lifting or anything but just some to get my muscles going. I'm a noob at weight lifting so I have no clue what machines do what and what some workouts do for certain parts of the body. I guess I'll figure them out as as I go along.

I also downloaded MyFitnessPal for my phone and its a neat little app. It wants me to eat 2,400 calories a day so I lose 10 pounds in a month. Yeah, no. Gonna eat much less than that but still going to track it all.

Will update with progress.

Sadetar

Congraaaaaats at people remarking at work! :D

Yeah, after work can be hard if you're not raring to go. But I did my strength work outs on Saturday and Sunday, and a kickboxing session tonight!

I think I need to ramp it up though with ab stuff. My gut is too gross still. :( gonna start doing the super hard cardio/standing abs dvd I have, that usually has me ready to puke, as my normal cardio. It's only 35 minutes though so I guess I'll have to add something else if I can stand it lol.
I am really happy about the changes, but it seems my lower tummy totally loves me and don't want to let go... Ugh. Oh well, at least I nowadays have a waist compared to the previous state.

And you have been active - attagirl! :D

Even 35 minutes can be enough if it is a good work out though. :)

I am today heading to gym with a colleague after work. We will see how that goes. :p

despire

My main questions revolve around food. I gathered I need 180g of protein intake per day. I plan to work out Mon-Wed-Fri, maybe an extra day or two if necessary. I understand what kind of food I need to eat--chicken, fish, avocado, nuts, cottage cheese, rice, potato--but I don't know how to ration it. I am most interested in building strength, not as keen on definition.

How many meals am I looking at? I consume the protein shake after the work out, yes? What about something before it? How do I decide how to split the meals up? Say I have 200g of chicken breast, how would I divide it per meal?

I just need the basics on nutrition. Thanks so much! Subbed.

1) You can eat less protein than that. Around 1g/LBM is good.
2) 3x week is just fine.
3) Chicken is good but also low on calories and can get boring pretty fast. Eat beef and pork as well, especially since you're not trying to get shredded. Otherwise looks good.
4) Eat how ofthen you want. 1 meal, 3 meals, six meals...doesn't matter that much. Whatever works for you and your schedule.
4) You can ingest whey before/after working out but you don't NEED to. Generally speaking some carbs and protein is a good idea after working out.
5) Dividing the protein depends on how many meals you want to eat. But it doesn't matter. Just divide it about evenly so you get some protein at every meal.

Body by Mcdonalds/KFC.

You should ask if they would sponsor you. You could wear a McD t-shirt and KFC pants while you lift. "This body was made possible only by McDonalds".

is it ok to skip breakfast, because you wake up late, you have no time or any other reason? I understand that "no, it's not ok because doing that you eat more during lunch and burn less" or something, but what if you don't actually eat more for skipping it.

Yes it's ok.

Even if you eat a bit more at lunch it won't be enough to compensate for skipping breakfast with most people so don't worry. Also if anything you will burn more fat if you skip.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
And the last few posts make me realize how many people are on or have tried gear. It's increasingly looking like me and a few others here are the last Nattys.

Not even a prohormone.

Don't worry, my mediocre numbers after years of powerlifting are pure natty :D

Dips and pull ups are the only worthwhile exercises in your routine if your main goal is strength. Even then you really won't get anywhere with a bodyweight routine if you want to get stronger.

How does one even come to such a wrong conclusion? Do you look at a gymnast and think that they are not strong? A barbell is not the only way to attain strength.

Many olympic weightlifters have a gymnastic background. Many of the oldschool strongmen were masters of bodyweight exercises. It develops co-ordination, tendon strength at extreme leverages, a hugely strong core, ability to recruit muscles efficiently, all of which translates to more weight on a barbell.

I also downloaded MyFitnessPal for my phone and its a neat little app. It wants me to eat 2,400 calories a day so I lose 10 pounds in a month. Yeah, no. Gonna eat much less than that but still going to track it all.

Will update with progress.

How many calories do you plan to eat and what is your height/weight/age?

Don't worry, my mediocre numbers after years of powerlifting are pure natty :D

You and me both.

Pakoe

^^

sorry to be so pushy but any sort of video for the above would be much appreciated

i see sooooo many variations and hear much different info about that exercise that without visual guidance on the correct method i feel i will never get it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_QLk3GW0OE

I am really happy about the changes, but it seems my lower tummy totally loves me and don't want to let go... Ugh. Oh well, at least I nowadays have a waist compared to the previous state.

And you have been active - attagirl! :D

Even 35 minutes can be enough if it is a good work out though. :)

I am today heading to gym with a colleague after work. We will see how that goes. :p

The fat on my lower abs are always the last to go, it seems this is the case with the majority of people.

yogloo

It serves me well when I have to push magazine racks.

yogloo

How does one even come to such a wrong conclusion? Do you look at a gymnast and think that they are not strong? A barbell is not the only way to attain strength.

Many olympic weightlifters have a gymnastic background. Many of the oldschool strongmen were masters of bodyweight exercises. It develops co-ordination, tendon strength at extreme leverages, a hugely strong core, ability to recruit muscles efficiently, all of which translates to more weight on a barbell.
It works but it takes lots of time. Most gymnasts train 5-6 hours a day.

Matugi

And that extra strength output translates to what exactly? Increased muscle mass?
Faster recovery time? Allowing you to finish that last rep you struggle on towards the end?

Basically the third one. It helps support more volume and intensity.

Shoutsout to Bodybuilding.com for having by far the best shipping turnaround for anything outside of Amazon Prime. Ordered 6 pounds of protein and some caffeine tablets yesterday evening and it's supposed to arrive later today.

The fat on my lower abs are always the last to go, it seems this is the case with the majority of people.

Mainly those of us with Y-chromosomes, yeah. Although in my case there's about a 2:1 stubbornness ratio with lower back:lower abs. Hoping yohimbine will help wipe it out: at this point I'm down to the chicken mcnuggets and DQ oreo blizzards with butterfingers I was inhaling all throughout middle school. 14mm skinfold worth of trans fats :p

Alright, trying to get serious about achieving my goals. I will post my full workout plan later to hopefully have critiqued and modified, but I had a quick question before I head to the gym:

Trying to cut bodyfat and tone. I had a question. I have been doing arms together. Supersets of triceps and biceps, around 4 excercises each, 3-4 sets, around 15 reps. Would it be wise to continue supersets, or should I do one muscle first, and then the other (still on the same day)?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
what are they?

i bet they will make mine look pathetic!

140 1rm OHP, 1x5 315 DL (no recent 1rm, can 350+), 3x6 155 bench (no recent 1rm, can 185+). No heavy squatting due to injuries so haven't gone past 135 front squat for reps and not currently squatting regularly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, trying to get serious about achieving my goals. I will post my full workout plan later to hopefully have critiqued and modified, but I had a quick question before I head to the gym:

Trying to cut bodyfat and tone. I had a question. I have been doing arms together. Supersets of triceps and biceps, around 4 excercises each, 3-4 sets, around 15 reps. Would it be wise to continue supersets, or should I do one muscle first, and then the other (still on the same day)?

It will inevitably come up, so I might as well say it.

Please read the OP.

It will inevitably come up, so I might as well say it.

Please read the OP.

I did search for the info I was looking for, maybe not well enough, but I didn't see anything specific to the question I was asking. Again, I was going to do a full post of my routine and info, but if it's against the protocol then sorry, ignore, and I will post the whole thing later. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I did search for the info I was looking for, maybe not well enough, but I didn't see anything specific to the question I was asking. Again, I was going to do a full post of my routine and info, but if it's against the protocol then sorry, ignore, and I will post the whole thing later. Sorry for the inconvenience!
No inconvenience. The answer is it doesn't really matter. Do what you prefer. I will say that 3 or 4 sets of 15 may be a bit much. Try starting at 15 for your first couple sets and decrease the reps your last 2 while you increase the weight. If you are set on a hi rep routine try finishing around 10-12 reps.

No inconvenience. The answer is it doesn't really matter. Do what you prefer. I will say that 3 or 4 sets of 15 may be a bit much. Try starting at 15 for your first couple sets and decrease the reps your last 2 while you increase the weight. If you are set on a hi rep routine try finishing around 10-12 reps.

Thank you. I will give that a go.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No deadlift PRs today. Wasn't feeling it, still host 595lbs and got 620 to my knees though. However, I think I may go back to barefoot squats. Nothing impressive here, but I'm hitting depth pretty well, good speed (only 225) and my upper body/bar position feels better.

http://youtu.be/Fwen3_RS5f8

Hi FitGAF.

I was wondering how you all felt about bodyweight exercises for someone who just wants to tone up a little bit. I want to lose weight and gain a bit of strength. I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder or anything. For the past two weeks, I've been running 4 miles/day and doing pushups and pullups with a little bit of abs/core work mixed in. I've also been eating better. More salads, salmon for protein (salmon is easy to cook). I usually eat two fruits for breakfast to jumpstart my day and have been drinking water. I do give in at times and eat chocolate however.

Do you have any advice for a new FitGAFer? My goal is to reduce body fat and tone up.

Hey DaMasta! I know you posted this yesterday but I wanted to chime in on it.

I'm 100% for what you're doing. I do bodyweight training as well - Calisthenics 3x/week and Pilates/Yoga 2x week. You won't be lifting 300 pounds bro, but you'll look and feel good with it, and you'll pay an incredible amount less than gym-goers (which is a big selling point for a frugal person like myself). I've been doing it for about 4 weeks now and have already lost 8 pounds and a notch in my belt.

Granted I've only been doing it for a few weeks, but some pointers I have:

-Stick with your diet as best as you can. Having a piece of chocolate every now and then isn't going to ruin everything, but remember to keep it in moderation. I still have Ski (a Mellow Yellow type drink) 3-4 times a week, down from 2x/day. Fruits are great, Nuts are great, Veggies are awesome, lean meats like fish, pork, and chicken are awesome.

-Doing it on your own is really hard without motivation. Find an IRL friend to talk about it to, if you can. I have a crossfit buddy, and we usually talk about each other's previous workouts most days of the week, just for accountability.

-If you can plug your computer into your TV, try out some yoga. TBH, some days I'd say it's even harder than my calisthenics. Here is a good site to go to: http://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga_classes
Start with the Armalicious one - it's a fun tough one, and only 20 minutes long.

-If you get bored with running, get a jump rope for your cardio. Seriously - it'll kick the shit out of you if you give it enough effort (in a good way).

-Don't quit before you reach your goal. This is my biggest struggle, since I don't have anyone there pushing me. If your goal for the day is "Do as many sets of x/y/z as you can in 20 minutes," don't stop at 17 and think "oh I'm tired so I'm just going to quit now."

Just some friendly advice from my [limited] experience, so take it or leave it. Doing solely bodyweight exercise gets a bad rap sometimes by some people (some even in this thread), but don't let it get to you. The fact that you're even making an effort is great!

Pakoe

Mainly those of us with Y-chromosomes, yeah. Although in my case there's about a 2:1 stubbornness ratio with lower back:lower abs. Hoping yohimbine will help wipe it out: at this point I'm down to the chicken mcnuggets and DQ oreo blizzards with butterfingers I was inhaling all throughout middle school. 14mm skinfold worth of trans fats :p

Yohimbe only made me eat less, close to nothing. Now ECA, i can recommend.

Sadetar

Ah, good to hear I am not alone! :D It will anyways most likely take me at least a year or two before I am satisfied with my weight and looks. I am in no rush. :)

This delicious thing is by the way always my dinner and my lunch. I keep my life easy with eating basicly the same stuff all the time, but it is good, tasty and I really enjoy it so nothing wrong with that. :p
20140721_205558.jpg

I also did raw dark chocolate first time in my life. In theory they should have lasted a long time in the freezer, but with all honesty they were too delicious and I destroyed them way too quickly. I better not do them that often. ;)
20140720_220808.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How fucked is it that Brolic is putting up similar weight

Goddamn Brolic that shit must make you feel good, goddamn goddamn

A few things. He's way lighter than I am. And unless he's been training since he's been 12 it's unlikely he's natural. It goes without saying, but drug tested is not the same as natural. Drug tested simply means you passed a test.

As far as natural there's varying degrees of natural as well so much so they differentiate between life time natural and within a certain time period.

If this guy is truly drug free /natural that's impressive as hell, especially at that body weight.

Hoping to do this with my son!

No idea if he'll be interested in it, though.

Yeah, that's the thing. If I have kids, I want to expose them to lifting, but if they don't enjoy it, I can't envision myself pishing it too much. I just hope they find some sort of physical activity that they enjoy, be it sports, lifting, or really anything.

Cooter

My boys are ready to go! I tell them as soon as they have hair on they're balls it's on!

Yeah, that's the thing. If I have kids, I want to expose them to lifting, but if they don't enjoy it, I can't envision myself pishing it too much. I just hope they find some sort of physical activity that they enjoy, be it sports, lifting, or really anything.

Yeah, from doing tons of sports growing up I have a real dislike of the "sports dad." It's great to encourage your kids to be physical, to get them involved in stuff, and sometimes to encourage them to stick it out when it gets hard. But the pressure, yelling, or other stuff like that is just terrible. Let kids be kids and enjoy their activities. I just feel so embarrassed for dads that I hear getting all heated in the stands at stuff like Junior league baseball games.

Cooter

Yeah, from doing tons of sports growing up I have a real dislike of the "sports dad." It's great to encourage your kids to be physical, to get them involved in stuff, and sometimes to encourage them to stick it out when it gets hard. But the pressure, yelling, or other stuff like that is just terrible. Let kids be kids and enjoy their activities. I just feel so embarrassed for dads that I hear getting all heated in the stands at stuff like Junior league baseball games.
100% with you except I don't get embarrassed, I get angry. I have a strong urge to go punch them in the throat.

100% with you except I don't get embarrassed, I get angry. I have a strong urge to go punch them in the throat.

A punch from you is probably grounds for assault with a deadly weapon. Don't go to prison bro, I've hears guys like you get quite a lot of complements: see, Brolic's various gym stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom