• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Thank you guys for your answers, really interesting stuff. It's super cool to see the different approaches these series use.

This is just to illustrate the point about max performance vs reliability I mentioned. In the last race of the 2000 CART season, Honda, Ford, Mercedes and Toyota attempted to tune the engines to the max. As a result of many mechanical problems, only 6 of the 26 starters finished the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbz8KONVrUk

http://www.racing-reference.info/race/2000_Marlboro_500_Presented_by_Toyota/R

Engine failures these days are a very rare occurence, so that should be good for Alonso.

Yes, that was the question that I was asking myself; what cars have more raw speed.

Paul Tracy once set a trap speed of 256.948 mph (413.52 km/h) on an oval.

Patrick S.

Banned

Holy crap, that is even faster than I thought!

This is just to illustrate the point about max performance vs reliability I mentioned. In the last race of the 2000 CART season, Honda, Ford, Mercedes and Toyota attempted to tune the engines to the max. As a result of many mechanical problems, only 6 of the 26 starters finished the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbz8KONVrUk

http://www.racing-reference.info/race/2000_Marlboro_500_Presented_by_Toyota/R

Engine failures these days are a very rare occurence, so that should be good for Alonso. ]

I didn't even know Mercedes was in CART. Did Norbert Haug manage Mercedes in that series, too?

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm watching that Alonso stream, is it just me or is the car set up with positive cambered wheels on one side of the car, and negative on the other side? Or does it only look that way, because of the high forces that are working on the car in those corners?

FrankCanada97

So he's only 10mph down on a lap? Not bad for his very first outing

He's not even allowed to run flat out yet, he is doing his Rookie Orientation Test. He is supposed to run a set amount of laps within certain speed ranges. Maybe there's some time today to really let him loose.
I'm watching that Alonso stream, is it just me or is the car set up with positive cambered wheels on one side of the car, and negative on the other side? Or does it only look that way, because of the high forces that are working on the car in those corners?

There are staggered tires, meaning that the left side tires are slightly more larger in diameter than the right side.

FrankCanada97

Odd. I like the car when it's still, but it's fugly in motion.

Just wait until next year, they're returning to a style reminiscent of CART:
phpThumb.php

03-31-Rendering-2018Car-TopView-NoOverlay-HIRES_a.jpg

Zaru

The worst part are those slim front tyres, they just look cheap and flimsy from the front compared to the big fat pieces of rubber we're getting in F1 this year.

Although Alonso must be loving this, driving a car that doesn't risk breaking down every couple dozen laps.

Jezbollah

Yeah, I'm pretty sure any racing series Mercedes was involved in, he was responsible for.

Mercedes participation in Indycar (then CART) was essentially to rebadge Ilmor engines. Then when Mercedes left CART in 2000 (due to the split) Ilmor then worked with Chevrolet and then Honda in IRL.

Spladam

He seems comfortable with the car so far.

The thing is, how hard is it to feel what the limit is on an oval? Go over it and you'll be in the wall.
It would seem the muscle memory and seat-of-the-pants intuition would be easier and quicker to adjust to on a high speed oval vs road circuit. At least it seems so to me on account of the repetition with less variety.

That is real freaking fast. It's the edge of human reaction time vs visual processing.
Just wait until next year, they're returning to a style reminiscent of CART:
phpThumb.php

03-31-Rendering-2018Car-TopView-NoOverlay-HIRES_a.jpg
I think that is beautiful.

Spladam

Wow, that was brutal. The commentators though, "killed two birds with one stone", "at least they didn't suffer". They exploded.

FrankCanada97

This just reminds me, why don't they use air jacks in F1? Having jack men seems archaic when you consider how technologically advanced everything else is.

Fox Mulder

This just reminds me, why don't they use air jacks in F1? Having jack men seems archaic when you consider how technologically advanced everything else is.

Weight.

Why carry that on board when you stop once or twice a race. The f1 pit stops are already just over 2 seconds. Don't really think they can even improve that really.

Kyougar

Do you know how bloody difficult it is to get 2 birds on your two tires? That just proves that Alonso is the best driver EVA! Vettel wouldn't have the skill to kill those birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom