• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sky spent the entire weekend hounding everyone at Mercedes, or outside of Mercedes, about how Bottas was the 2nd driver, and team orders and blabla...

C-rLwbJV0AABFDE.png

Literally 10 points between them. Less than any other driver on this list has between him and his teammate right now with the exception of Sainz, who is 9 points ahead of Kvyat.

Zaru

Assuming comparable conditions (although a bit warmer), I'm really curious how fast the cars will be around Barcelona in two weeks, particularly in Q3.
If I remember right, the jump from 2016 was still the largest in testing, rather than the 4 tracks that followed.

Now that I look at the calendar, the tracks with the kind of layout that really makes these new cars shine are kinda lopsided on the second half of the season...

xrnzaaas

That's how I often play Forza games. :) They added extra tyre barriers on most tracks to prevent cutting corners (the game has a pitiful penalty system).

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
This is what F1 needs whenever a team is ahead of the rest of the grid for a whole season - for the two leading cars to drop out of a few races.

So then the team at the front decides to be tactical about when and by how much they win.

Xando

Sky spent the entire weekend hounding everyone at Mercedes, or outside of Mercedes, about how Bottas was the 2nd driver, and team orders and blabla...

Literally 10 points between them. Less than any other driver on this list has between him and his teammate right now with the exception of Sainz, who is 9 points ahead of Kvyat.

Better than Sky germany trying to create rumors Vettel is in talks for a mercedes seat all weekend while everyone from Mercedes or Ferrari says it's not true.

Carn82

So then the team at the front decides to be tactical about when and by how much they win.

'Hey guys, we`ll just skip the next 4 races and work on our cars a bit so we can crush the competition when we get back'

or

'Hey guys, we'll just let our test-guys do a few races with older components'

Fox Mulder

So I didn't watch the Indycar race at all but it was the first Oval track and the first driver with a Honda engine only came 5th.
Is this (a little bit) worrying or due to race circumstances?
Talking about Fernando's chance to win Indy there lol

Like 5 good cars were taken out in the first lap.

NHale

I was never a Senna fan because I'm a Williams fan since I can remember and even when he joined Williams I was rooting for Damon Hill more than Senna. That whole weekend but especially that Sunday is something that I will never forget. Formula 1 was always my favorite sport growing up and that moment felt like a sucker punch even if the person that died wasn't something I actually liked.

Then being from Portugal, we knew how much Brazil loved him and we saw it live the reactions to the news via Globo. People reacting to Globo reporter giving the news hours after the crash, people waiting for "him" at the airport, his funeral, it felt like people were mourning a god. 23 years later I can remember exactly that day, how was the weather here, hearing Portuguese F1 broadcasters trying their best to believe he was just fine "He moved his head. He's fine, it's probably just a broken leg", "I think I saw him giving a thumbs up while going to the helicopter". To the resignation of that tragic fate when the news came.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
So I didn't watch the Indycar race at all but it was the first Oval track and the first driver with a Honda engine only came 5th.
Is this (a little bit) worrying or due to race circumstances?
Talking about Fernando's chance to win Indy there lol

I wouldn't read too much into it. Phoenix is a short oval, and they were running the high downforce road-course aero. Indy is a completely different track, you should keep in mind that a Honda qualified on pole and won the race there last year.

lm04

Neo Member
I was never a Senna fan because I'm a Williams fan since I can remember and even when he joined Williams I was rooting for Damon Hill more than Senna. That whole weekend but especially that Sunday is something that I will never forget. Formula 1 was always my favorite sport growing up and that moment felt like a sucker punch even if the person that died wasn't something I actually liked.

Then being from Portugal, we knew how much Brazil loved him and we saw it live the reactions to the news via Globo. People reacting to Globo reporter giving the news hours after the crash, people waiting for "him" at the airport, his funeral, it felt like people were mourning a god. 23 years later I can remember exactly that day, how was the weather here, hearing Portuguese F1 broadcasters trying their best to believe he was just fine "He moved his head. He's fine, it's probably just a broken leg", "I think I saw him giving a thumbs up while going to the helicopter". To the resignation of that tragic fate when the news came.

It was a warm sunny day here in Portugal, and we missed the race 'cause my parents took my brother and I to the beach. We heard it on the radio on our way back home

DBT85

This thread has hardly been different. Rosberg fans have been quick to say that Merc will just move Bottas out of the way as he's the number 2.

Fisico

I wouldn't read too much into it. Phoenix is a short oval, and they were running the high downforce road-course aero. Indy is a completely different track, you should keep in mind that a Honda qualified on pole and won the race there last year.

I'm not well versed in Indycar at all so I was asking, thanks for the replies.
Only thing I know about Honda recently is how we've been laughing non stop about them in F1 since 2015 (slightly less in 2016 though).

I was in a cycling event yesterday and pulled over to sit on a grass verge at the side of the road to listen to the start. lol

I had a friend send me the race later to watch on my mobile (was a multi day event)... turns out I caught the only good bit.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I watched the replay of the last 2 laps, I definitely feel like without Massa, Vettel passes and wins - not because of when Vettel tried to pass Massa, but because Bottas was able to activate DRS on the long straight when Vettel also had it open.

On that sequence Bottas easily passes Massa with Vettel in hot pursuit and the double DRS nullified the potential advantage.

I had a great time. Went to the NYC F1 meetup, the food made me sick but it was fun. Lots of Scuderia fans.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge

Kyougar

What was the reason for butchering the Hotelkurve? "Safety" I presume. This reminds me of one of the more legendary outbursts in motorsports commentary:

bunch of amateurs who cant drive safely. There is a 90° Corner after a long strait, MAYBE you shouldnt be taking the corner fullspeed and 4-wide.

DD

Yeah, I remember people saying that he moved his head, so he should be okay. This video of some Japanese journalists crying is heartbreaking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-FCw_veA84 He was like a god in Japan too.

Took me quite a while to be able to see an F1 race again. It still hurts, though.
=/

No way the would ever put a sand trap on the exit of such a slow corner in F1.

You barely see them in fast corners for that matter these days.
What was the reason for butchering the Hotelkurve? "Safety" I presume. This reminds me of one of the more legendary outbursts in motorsports commentary:

It's funny how sometimes I hate a circuit in a game, but when I finally get it, I start to have joy. It was like this with Sepang and most of other circuits, really. But even knowing every one of Ochersleben's corners, playing it it since the old Toca games, I still hate this track. Every time I have to race in it, it's a sigh moment... :p

John_B

2017 Russian Grand Prix report by Mark Hughes
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/reports/f1/2017-russian-grand-prix-report

Good read. Explains why Bottas could pull away in the beginning and why Hamilton was nowhere.

It was all about the cooler, smoother airflow that gets fed to the radiators of the leader compared to those in dirty air on a day when cooling levels were very marginal. With two cars as closely matched at the front as Mercedes and Ferrari, every tiny advantage counts – and the aero benefits of one level of cooling package (ie closing up one row of exit vents) will typically be around 0.1sec per lap. Last year Mercedes may not have risked trying to match the forecasted ambient temperature so closely when choosing the cooling levels they’d be committed to from Saturday onwards. But this year both Mercedes and Ferrari ran as close as they dared to the forecast – which was that it would be 3-deg C cooler than on Saturday. It was in fact 3-deg hotter, a swing of 6-degrees C as the expected cloud cover never arrived. Suddenly, both the Mercedes and Ferrari were potentially under-cooled.

Räikkönen was suffering similarly and a further 5sec adrift at this stage, but comfortably clear of Hamilton. As well as his cooling issue, which he could control by engine settings and backing off, Lewis was also struggling to get the tyres in their operating window, just as he had been all weekend. “I can’t explain it right now,” said Hamilton afterwards. “There’s lots of work to be done in figuring it out. But I just couldn’t get the car or the tyres really working, snaps of oversteer. From around lap 25 I was having to turn the engine down to stop the cylinder cutting. That was costing me around 0.7sec.” But even when the engine temperatures were under control, those of the tyres were not. “I had different settings to Valtteri in the mid-lower speeds ranges – the diff. and stuff like that. That went back to Saturday when the direction he was able to go in I just couldn’t. For whatever reason it just didn’t work on my car.”

DBT85

So Merc didn't think that maybe just maybe starting from 4th against Ferrari he might have to sit behind in hot air?

Mohonky

So Merc didn't think that maybe just maybe starting from 4th against Ferrari he might have to sit behind in hot air?

Not sure what you expect them to do. Its a problem for every car following. They never intend for it, they aim to be be on the front of the grid and hopefully way out in front so they can pace the cars.

Obviously with Ferrari being fast this year, overtaking and trying to find cool air is going to be an issue for Merc same as it is everyone else. The Merc has always been strong in clean air, but the design also seems to ve quite upset when following. Seen it time and again even over the past 3 years where they had the more dominant car, as soon as they got stuck in a pack, their pace dropped off a cliff.

That and Hamilton just never looked good all weekend; whether he was just off, the car setup was wrong or not what he is used to he just had a shit weekend.

On that trzck with the shit first corner, I dont think there is anything wrong with the corner, its the tyre wall, go off and there is no way to get back on the track. I understand why they have it there so you can shoot through and spear someone rejoining but yeh the tyre wall guarantees you're fucked if you run wide.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Haha
..well clear of a struggling Hamilton who was a further minute clear of Verstappen who had the loneliest race of his career (he kept himself amused by watching the lead battle on the big screens as he passed by)

DBT85

Not sure what you expect them to do. Its a problem for every car following. They never intend for it, they aim to be be on the front of the grid and hopefully way out in front so they can pace the cars.

Obviously with Ferrari being fast this year, overtaking and trying to find cool air is going to be an issue for Merc same as it is everyone else. The Merc has always been strong in clean air, but the design also seems to ve quite upset when following. Seen it time and again even over the past 3 years where they had the more dominant car, as soon as they got stuck in a pack, their pace dropped off a cliff.

That and Hamilton just never looked good all weekend; whether he was just off, the car setup was wrong or not what he is used to he just had a shit weekend.

On that trzck with the shit first corner, I dont think there is anything wrong with the corner, its the tyre wall, go off and there is no way to get back on the track. I understand why they have it there so you can shoot through and spear someone rejoining but yeh the tyre wall guarantees you're fucked if you run wide.

That's what I'm saying, he wasn't on it all weekend and Ferrari are fast, so why o why still assume you'll get front row and be able to cool easier. By going aggressive on the cooling they lost a lot more time than if they'd just eased up on it.

Razgreez

That's what I'm saying, he wasn't on it all weekend and Ferrari are fast, so why o why still assume you'll get front row and be able to cool easier. By going aggressive on the cooling they lost a lot more time than if they'd just eased up on it.

They were clearly not interested in settling for fourth and wanted to be able to take advantage if they managed to come out in front after the first (second) corner even if it meant potential cooling issues during the race

I can't wait for the Wax excuses.

Honda is great guys, please stop reading fake news.

Alonso failing to start the race is on McLaren.

McLaren Applied Technologies provide the electronic / powertrain system, the same system that first failed to function properly in Australia with The Stoff, and now in Russia with Alonso.

What can Honda do if McLaren's system can't reboot itself and run their stellar code?

acm2000

McLaren Applied Technologies provide the electronic / powertrain system, the same system that first failed to function properly in Australia with The Stoff, and now in Russia with Alonso.

What can Honda do if McLaren's system can't reboot itself and run their stellar code?

im betting they ran the code through google translate english to japanese so the engine can understand what its saying, meanwhile honda did the same but japanese to english and all the shits hit the fan

ramparter

Banned

It's good they made a deal with Sauber, they already wasted three years with an incompetent partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom