• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Just built the new Ferrari LEGO set. High density of stickers...

lego-scuderia-ferrari-sf16-h-set-75879-15-1.jpg

man Kubica was one of those guys on the F1 grid that was on the verge of greatness. Too bad his career got cut short. He'll forever be one of those guys in my mind where i ask myself "what if.."

Eh, he would've been Hulkenberg-Tier at best. The top teams would've never picked him up.

DD

Don't know if you guys have seen this guy Driver61, he's a young dude just starting up his channel, he does some pretty good analyst on F1 and other motor sports, as well as videos about driving technique and physics. I like his stuff and he puts out videos regularly.

Exactly How Slow is the 2017 McLaren-Honda F1? Alonso & Hamilton Lap Data Comparison

He may have been linked here before but I don't remember seeing any of his material posted here.

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Don't know if you guys have seen this guy Driver61, he's a young dude just starting up his channel, he does some pretty good analyst on F1 and other motor sports, as well as videos about driving technique and physics. I like his stuff and he puts out videos regularly.

Exactly How Slow is the 2017 McLaren-Honda F1? Alonso & Hamilton Lap Data Comparison

He may have been linked here before but I don't remember seeing any of his material posted here.

Damn I think they mentioned this dude in the Shift F1 podcast but I forgot to follow up. Thanks!

Spladam

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Damn I think they mentioned this dude in the Shift F1 podcast but I forgot to follow up. Thanks!

No problem guys, the Channel stood out in the long list of Motorsports channels I subscribed to on Youtube. The guys name is Scott Mansell, he's a driver that holds some lap records and knows his material well. The youtube channel is just a side thing for Driver61.com, but I was surprised at how few subscribers he had.

There seems to be quite a few Youtube channels with good F1 and Motorsports content that don't have that many subscribers, while the guys who put together crash montages and race footage collages seem to do much better.

Speaking of which, if you're a fan of WRC at all, Mr. M's channel is kind of awesome. His "This is Rally" series is a great watch.

Fox Mulder

Just built the new Ferrari LEGO set. High density of stickers...

If you think that's a lot of stickers, you should get the Porsche lmp or Ford GT sets.

The neatest thing is they designed the number to be on its own block, so you can swap between vettel and Kimi. They just didn't include a yellow brick for the top of the car.

dakun

Eh, he would've been Hulkenberg-Tier at best. The top teams would've never picked him up.

lol what? as much as i like Hulkenberg. He never made it to the podium. Kubica had a dozen podiums and a race win. He was already above Hulkenberg's tier by the time of his accident, barely 5 years into his F1 career.

The fact Hulk hasn't gotten a top seat shows how top heavy today's F1 is.

Any other era he would have managed to break out of the midfield long ago. Fuck Bottas escaped the midfield now mostly because he got lucky.

Red Bull hoarding 4 grid slot only for the drivers they develop doesn't help.

Zaru

Red Bull hoarding 4 grid slot only for the drivers they develop doesn't help.

At least their drivers can end up at a top 3 team eventually.

The drivers under the Ferrari and Mercedes umbrellas are stuck in the mid-field or outside of F1 because they prefer world champions or drivers that proved themselves in other teams (Bottas got that Toto connection)

It's funny how McLaren was the big budget team taking in relative or absolute rookies during the last decade (Hamilton, Perez, Magnussen, Vandoorne), though only Hamilton got to enjoy them while they were good

Ark

Didn't DiMontezemolo himself confirm that Ferrari were seriously interested in Kubica?

Kubica's accident really is one of the greatest career tragedies of the century for F1.

h3ro

I don't understand how that wasn't the F1 car's livery. Looks leagues better than the generic orange/black mess they threw on the car.

I don't understand how that wasn't the F1 car's livery. Looks leagues better than the generic orange/black mess they threw on the car.

I'm not a huge fan of the McLaren livery, but I don't understand how orange with a bunch of stickers is leagues better. It's orange. It has no lines, curves and doesn't express anything. They emptied a bucket of orange color and called it a day.

Fantomex

Hello fellow youth. Whatching the online testing they are about to do. Mario Andretti threw some shade at McLaren and it wasn't even on purpose. He was talking about the adjustments Alonso will have to make going from road to oval racing and said "here he will have a car that is actually working" LOL!

Fox Mulder

I'm not a huge fan of the McLaren livery, but I don't understand how orange with a bunch of stickers is leagues better. It's orange. It has no lines, curves and doesn't express anything. They emptied a bucket of orange color and called it a day.

They just made it look almost exactly like the old McLaren Indy cars.

The McLaren f1 livery is a bit lazy, as even Manor was able to make a glorious one with a fraction of the budget.

Zeknurn

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-5Y6XNXYAAmruT.jpg:large[/IMG]

Hngh

Lets drop the current regulations and make F1 look like this again.

How weird is it that indycar does an internet live stream for Alonsos practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXh9uxthFnk

They know that it's an event and know how to market it.

They just made it look almost exactly like the old McLaren Indy cars.

The McLaren f1 livery is a bit lazy, as even Manor was able to make a glorious one with a fraction of the budget.

Someone put more thought into the F1 livery than the Indy livery. You might not like what they came up with, but calling it lazy is not really fair.

h3ro

It's literally just orange.

It's just orange the same way a Ferrari is 'just' red.

DzU4QaY.jpg

Orange is a historic color for the team and I prefer F1 liveries say more about the history of the team than they do about expressing anything else.

Patrick S.

Banned
Are the cars in the Indycar series better than F1 cars? I'm not talking about regulations, but only about performance, safety, handling, fuel efficiency, emissions... all these aspects.

Fox Mulder

Are the cars in the Indycar series better than F1 cars? I'm not talking about regulations, but only about performance, safety, handling, fuel efficiency, emissions... all these aspects.

Different priorities.

Indycars are set up to run on ovals, street circuits, and road courses at a far lower budget. It's like $15 million vs $400 million in f1.

It's just orange the same way a Ferrari is 'just' red.

DzU4QaY.jpg

Orange is a historic color for the team and I prefer F1 liveries say more about the history of the team than they do about expressing anything else.

I suppose you're right. To me, the old orange isn't really as iconic as Ferrari's red, because they haven't used it as their livery in decades (outside of testing here and there), whereas Ferrari's F1 cars have been red since basically forever.

Well, US sports are always so designed that the team and club owners can make money out of it. It's the entire purpose of those things in the USA.

Patrick S.

Banned
Interesting. I thought Indycars would be better than F1 cars, because in the few Indy races I've seen, they always seem to drive at like 400 km per hour, and I don't remember seeing any car ever breaking down. Do F1 cars have top speeds as high as Indycars? I'd love to see some good comparison videos, or videos of F1 cars racing Indycars, if there is such a thing. Or I'd love to see a comparison of lap times between, say, an F1 and an Indycar at Spa.

Aiii

So not worth it
Interesting. I thought Indycars would be better than F1 cars, because in the few Indy races I've seen, they always seem to drive at like 400 km per hour, and I don't remember seeing any car ever breaking down. Do F1 cars have top speeds as high as Indycars? I'd love to see some good comparison videos, or videos of F1 cars racing Indycars, if there is such a thing. Or I'd love to see a comparison of lap times between, say, an F1 and an Indycar at Spa.

"The last modern comparison of note is F1 and Indy car. The most recent road course to host both series was Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in 2006. Sebastien Bourdais' pole time of 1:20.005 in his Lola-Ford/Cosworth Champ Car was impressive, but the 1:14.726 delivered by Fernando Alonso in his Renault RS26 was especially remarkable, given how F1 moved from volatile 900 hp V10s to torque-less V8s in '06."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...imes-dont-lie-how-top-tier-race-cars-compare/

Zaru

Are you comparing top speed on an oval?

Aiii

So not worth it
As for top speeds:
In 2000, Gil de Ferran set the one-lap qualifying record of 241.428 miles per hour (388.541 km/h) at California Speedway. Even on tight non-oval street circuits such as the Grand Prix of Toronto, open-wheel Indy Cars attain speeds of 190 miles per hour (310 km/h).

vs.

Valtteri Bottas set a new unofficial Formula 1 top speed record in qualifying for the 2016 European Grand Prix when Williams Martini Racing claimed to have data showing him reaching 378kph (235 mph), eclipsing the previous record of 372kph (231 mph) set in 2005 by Juan Pablo Montoya for McLaren while testing at Autodromo Nazionale di Monza.[19]

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge

When IndyCar used to have more chassis, tire and engine competition, teams focused on tuning their package to max performance. These days with only one chassis and two near spec engines and aero kits, reliability is much better. I would say setup matters much more. The top teams still win a lot, but sometimes the lowly single car teams get upset victories.

As far as top speeds, when you get an IndyCar on an oval in a low-downforce speedway setup, of course they would be faster. If an F1 car was setup similarly I'm sure it will be faster, although the engine probably wouldn't last very long.

Patrick S.

Banned
Thank you guys for your answers, really interesting stuff. It's super cool to see the different approaches these series use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom