• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spades

God I love Le Mans.

An hour left in qualifying if anyone cares - probably no more hot laps, though. But the cars look stunning in this light (or lack of).

Fox Mulder

I think Audi pulled out because they were essentially paying to compete with themselves in Porsche. Probably cost Volkswagen a ton of money to fund both teams.

It was the diesel gate forcing them to cut spending. Diesel became poison to market, which the Audi ran on.

Wouldn't be a shock to see Porsche pull out too. They've gone 2 for 3 in their return and are safe as the king's for now. Why keep spending tons of money.

It was the diesel gate forcing them to cut spending. Diesel became poison to market, which the Audi ran on.

Wouldn't be a shock to see Porsche pull out too. They've gone 2 for 3 in their return and are safe as the king's for now. Why keep spending tons of money.
For some odd reason I never even factored that it. I guess you can't race and promote negative PR at the same time.

Fox Mulder

They had works status with Renaul for years, then they pissed it away when they threatened to walk from the sport because it wasnt good enough and they started throwing demands at the FIA trying to force Merc or Ferrari not only to give them engines but they had to get exactly the same engine both teams ran each weekend. Merc and Ferrari politely told them to go fuck themselves on that and by the time they were ready to accept being an engine customer Merc and Ferrari flat out said no.

So in the end Renault came back in and Redbull have an usual agreement where they developed a part of the engine and dropped the Renault label.

They screwed themselves from works status and never stopped complaining and threatening to walk even when what they had was a far more reliable and powerful PU than the Honda unit, why do you think they'll take up a Honda PU that is not just known for being the least powerful on the grid but also does not last even a single race?

Well Renault is a works team now and Redbull has to see the inevitable outcome there.

Them going with Honda would be interesting as they supposedly had interest before only to be blocked by Ron Dennis. Redbull would be sexier for Honda than only being with backmarker Sauber. It's also only a few years until a new engine formula, maybe Honda will do better then. I don't think Honda will be shit forever, this regulation is just stupidly complicated.

DD

Well Renault is a works team now and Redbull has to see the inevitable outcome there.

Them going with Honda would be interesting as they supposedly had interest before only to be blocked by Ron Dennis. Redbull would be sexier for Honda than only being with backmarker Sauber. It's also only a few years until a new engine formula, maybe Honda will do better then. I don't think Honda will be shit forever, this regulation is just stupidly complicated.

Well, Honda was also shit when they used the V8s...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Bought #44 Monster can and it is absolutely disgusting

Reminds me of Red Bull with some fruity chewing gums thrown in

Lucius86

Banned
Why would I be on suicide watch? Honda will still be in F1, I only followed McLaren because Button was associated with them. If this break happens, then In Sabonda I Trust. I just hope they can get a driver that is support worthy.

Alonso retirement in Canada was caused by broken crankshaft:

-went through the floor
-no prior warning
-Honda surprised as this was the first ICE failure of this season not caused by external issues (Spain failure was due to oil pump/tank)

-Alonso didn't show up to post race debriefing in protest

-new ICE in Baku will have updates applied whether small or big, though this can't be classed as the big Spec III update, more like 2.5

Can you do us a favour and post your sources on these? Quite often you post these bits of information and yet I have no idea where you find the information from.

His arse.

That's not very nice.

This latest info is from Japanese F1 journalist Yoneya Mineoki @ sportiva shueisha

Also says Jonathan Neale is in Japan with the top brass from Honda to renegotiate the terms of their contract.

If google is accurate, something about McLaren wanting performance clauses and Honda wanting to put a stop to the gravy train, this must be related to driver salaries?

InertiaXr

What changed with Kubica in the last couple years? Last I heard he was physically unable to fit inside the cockpit and drive, didn't have enough movement in his elbow/arm.

I will never forgive Sauber for dropping Kobayashi in favour of Esteban Gutierrez.
That's when Sauber instantly started to tank, too. They had several podiums and top 3 qualifyings in 2012 with Perez/Kobayashi and then... a wet fart ever since. I'll always remember Kobayashi's podium at Suzuka as a feelgood F1 story. He started P2 at Spa that year but was mowed down by the incident RoGro got a race ban for.

Ferrari picked him up as a reserve driver in 2013 but then took the Caterham seat because he was desperate to get in absolutely any car whatsoever. Thankfully Toyota picked him up on the rebound and he does fine in WEC. He and ex-Williams quazi-reject Nakajima have both put in massive work for Toyota across multiple racing series the past few years.

What changed with Kubica in the last couple years? Last I heard he was physically unable to fit inside the cockpit and drive, didn't have enough movement in his elbow/arm.

I think he recently had another surgery that allowed him to rotate his arm in a fashion that allows him to operate inside a single seater cockpit.

Having to talk Le Mans in the F1 thread? What is the world coming to?

That was an absolutely mind-boggling lap from Kobayashi, and to think that it was done on the medium tire compound with track temps over 35C.

Think anyone will try to go quicker in the final evening session? Pedro Rodríguez's all-time record could well be topped, and Kobayashi already has the average speed honors to himself-- even with the Dunlop and Mulsanne chicanes. Unbelievable.

dubc35

Could use last year's Le Mans thread:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1234099&page=1

I didn't know they were starting running already. I guess it's a couple weeks away. --edit, oh shit it's this weekend!-- I love Le Mans buildup! I'm torn on Toyota winning: I would like it but also like the prestige (not the best word) that the 787B has being the only Japanese car to win.

Hackbert

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2017-polesitters-7-toyota-gazoo-racing-toyota-ts050-hybrid-mike.jpg

i so hope Kobayashi gets it this year. Toyota deserves a win after these years of struggle

KdotIX

Is Buemi still driving for Toyota?

After watching the Le Mans doc on Amazon, it made it even more sad that their car stopped on the penultimate lap.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2017-polesitters-7-toyota-gazoo-racing-toyota-ts050-hybrid-mike.jpg

i so hope Kobayashi gets it this year. Toyota deserves a win after these years of struggle

Ive got so many questions.

Does the race have its own news paper?
The race has its own beauty pageant?
Are people rooting for Toyota?

Hackbert

- no , its a local /regional newspaper.
- yes
(last years contestants)
P1D2991778G_px_640_.jpg

- yes, after last year i wish them all the best. i just speak for me.

Jezbollah

Ive got so many questions.

Does the race have its own news paper?
The race has its own beauty pageant?
Are people rooting for Toyota?

1) No, it's a PR mockup most big races have if they want to celebrate things (you think a newspaper gets printed and distributed seconds after qualifying is completed?)

2) Maybe? There are lots of models in the vicinity of motorsports events.

3) Yes. Why not?

Zaru

WHY IS THERE NO LE MANS THREAD

Speaking of Le Mans, they just outlined the new rules for 2020+ which was intended to get Peugeot on board.
Some of the stuff like "you can recharge the car in the pits but have to drive the first km out of the pits purely on electric" and "you have to cross the finishing line on electric" sounds hilariously arbitrary.
Plus a whole-car token system.

Lach

So swiss tabloid Blick (Swiss Version of Daily Mail or German Bild), reports that Williams is gettim themself into position to take over as the Honda works team, should McLaren drop out. The article is focusing on Sauber that would have a second class position in either case.

They don't quote any sources though (other than "rumours from england).

They also mention that a chinese consortium is planning to buy the remains of Manor and getting into F1. Of course without any sources as well...
[edit] oh and I missed the part where Force India is about to change their name to be more attractive to sponsors who are put off by Mallya's bad rep.

Zeknurn

The chinese consortium rumour has been making the rounds the last couple of weeks. There's no doubt that someone is hoovering up F1 talent to try to do something, if it's with Manor remnants or Force India is anyone's guess.

I would love to see Gheely enter the sport under the Volvo brand.

xrnzaaas

Force India seems to be doing very good this year as well. I'd prefer if someone saved Sauber or helped Williams to regain their form (again). But that second part won't come true if they partner with Honda. :p

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I guess Williams needs some money, and if Honda is willing to spend, then maybe it's for the best.

Chinese consortium eh? Maybe a very small chance for Dutch driver Ho Pin Tung (who drives under a Chinese license) to get into F1 (after having tested for Renault).

Aiii

So not worth it
Horner did say someone was trying to poach their employees to join a new team.

As for Honda, I do not see them making Sauner their main focus, unless they can buy the team, so Williams would be the most likely candidate to try and strike a deal with, whether Williams would do that? I reckon they will wait at least until 2019 so Honda can use their Sauber deal to produce an actual working engine for once.

I'm guessing Honda brings in a bucketload of cash to make up for loss of championship positions.

Although I do wonder how long the Honda board is gonna put up with such a failed project.

Jezbollah

The chinese consortium rumour has been making the rounds the last couple of weeks. There's no doubt that someone is hoovering up F1 talent to try to do something, if it's with Manor remnants or Force India is anyone's guess.

I would love to see Gheely enter the sport under the Volvo brand.

Volvo want fuck all to do with Motorsport. Read up on their withdrawal from V8 Supercars if in doubt.

As regards the Williams Honda rumuors - I can see this happening. it's not as if Williams have been competitive with Mercedes over the last few years - I think they're in a transition stage (certainly taking the Stroll money would indicate that). A Merc/Honda swap could benefit both McLaren and Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom