• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSP

RIC has had two lucky podiums this year, yet he hasn't shown anything impressive on track. If anything, he's been kind of bland. His move to overtake VER and BOT in Monaco is probably his best performance out of seven races, even if he was helped by Sainz holding them up.

DD

Is there any record regarding the most number of DNF per season ? Because if things keep like that, Alonso has a great chance of be the holder of this "achievement".

Nah, thigs were even worse in the past. Just check Andrea Moda, for example, or if you're in desire of an actual professional team, Stewart GP.

Razgreez

That was an entertaining race. Congrats to Stroll for scoring his first points and at his home track too. Sure, he got lucky with some retirements but he ultimately drove a clean race. Hopefully this will give him the confidence boost needed to turn his form around.

I was surprised at how often he lost his nerve while attempting an overtake and in the process braked way too early - especially when just braking normally would have completed the maneuver. Like someone who is unsure of his own ability

Yagami_Sama

Nah, thigs were even worse in the past. Just check Andrea Moda, for example, or if you're in desire of an actual professional team, Stewart GP.

I remembered that Stewart in 1997 was a disaster, but it was worse than I thought. Barrichelo retired from 14 races out 17, seven races in a row.

Sigh, Alonso is almost there...

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge

Can't have a DNF, if you don't qualify to begin with.

reece.JPG

I was surprised at how often he lost his nerve while attempting an overtake and in the process braked way too early - especially when just braking normally would have completed the maneuver. Like someone who is unsure of his own ability

Maybe all the "he's a crasher" criticism is getting to him. Even though he really only caused one crash with another driver this year, and that was a racing incident.

DD

I remembered that Stewart in 1997 was a disaster, but it was worse than I thought. Barrichelo retired from 14 races out 17, seven races in a row.

Well, he had a fame, didn't he? xD

Can't have a DNF, if you don't qualify to begin with.

reece.JPG
And the fun thing is that they knew the car could run only 14 laps, then it would break. Moreno once managed to get that piece of shit of a car on the grid at Monaco in a miraculous lap on the qualy. He was even applauded by other teams for doing that, but the car broke just after 11 laps at the race.

Zaru

DCIMbyGWsAAyFii.jpg

This is the kind of damage Seb had to drive most of the race with, plus some damage to the underside.

Bonus: I posted about a swarm of mosquitoes in... friday practice, I think?
Here's the end result...

v4fTJdU.jpg

Jezbollah

Stewart were a brand new team from the ground up in 1997. That team is now Red Bull.

Everyone has to start from somewhere.

Spades

Villeneuve only managed to finish 4 races in 1999 - and only a couple of those were because of crashes (Canada and Spa, off the top of my head).

Mohonky

When Massa refused to let Bottas by in Malaysia 2014, so VB could have a go at Button, you wrote this:

So what it is, one is an idiot costing his team places, but the other is doing the right thing in exactly the same situation?

They are all selfish bastards and most of them wouldn't let their team mates by, unless there is very significant pace difference,.

Now, from team perspective, that's a different story. Team order yesterday would probably be a right move, but it has to be a firm decision. Team radio from team/deputy team principal, no further discussion. What we heard was like live negotiations between drivers and their race engineers and that's not how TO should be executed.

I wonder how long it took you to dig that up.

I don't advocate any team orders except where the team stands to lose something. Did Bottas and Massa drop positions as a result of this incident, I can't recall, but I doubt it.

Perez and Ocon squabbling pulled Perez out of Ric's DRS, meaning only Ocon and Vettel had DRS. Ocon tried to overtake Perez and was blocked, it was that move that enabled Vet to overtake Ocon. With Vettel behind Perez with fresher tyres and DRS, getting past Perez was a formality.

Whether Vettel could have taken either FI in a straight line if both was going as fast as possible and with DRS, they may not have lost 4 or 5th. By allowing the slower driver to lead the way, they almost guaranteed themselves to lose those posititions, and subsequently did.

Context.

apotema

Man, there's so much salt around Perez. If Hamilton or Dutch Jesus did that you would be screaming "What a driver he is, with passion for victory", even Hulkenberg would be forgiven.

I think he did well, 4th position for Force India is consolidated, he just couldn't risk losing his 4th and 5th with Vettel and Ocon and risking his 7th (almost 6th) place in the Drivers Championship just because they had a potential and somewhat remote chance to achieve a 3rd. And simply, at the end of the race Ocon was trying to pass Perez and he couldn't, it's clear that he would not be able to pass Daniel.

Wasn't a team order like a cancer in Formula 1 for you, guys? What happened now?

Finally, Perez mission this year is to make top teams look at him, this can make or break a move to a top team depending on their vision.

dl77

I think there's a difference from the bad old days of the late 90's'early 2000's regarding team orders to where we are now - with odd exceptions.

Who can forget Austria 2002 when Barrichello was ordered to give Schumacher 1st place in only the 6th round of the championship or when Coulthard and Hakkinen swapped places in Australia back in '98, the first race of the season! Hell, remember when Renault had Piquet Jr deliberately crash to help Alonso win!

I think there's always been an understanding around team orders that they should be used to benefit either championship. In the past though it's been done where, at that point, it's not affecting either one. I think people understood that Perez letting Ocon through was a case of the team seeing a chance to get more points for the benefit of the constructors championship. In the midfield especially a small handful of points can mean a difference of millions of dollars for the next season.

Lach

Sauber-Honda to be fighting for podiums next season confirmed

As a Sauber supporter I can only hope for a higher power pushing for this irony.
I wonder how a Sauber-Honda partnership would/will look like if they are their only customer. I doubt they would pump as much money into Sauber as they have into McLaren. But even half (in addition to free engines) would be huge for Sauber...

Why would I be on suicide watch? Honda will still be in F1, I only followed McLaren because Button was associated with them. If this break happens, then In Sabonda I Trust. I just hope they can get a driver that is support worthy.

Alonso retirement in Canada was caused by broken crankshaft:

-went through the floor
-no prior warning
-Honda surprised as this was the first ICE failure of this season not caused by external issues (Spain failure was due to oil pump/tank)

-Alonso didn't show up to post race debriefing in protest

-new ICE in Baku will have updates applied whether small or big, though this can't be classed as the big Spec III update, more like 2.5

Mohonky

Man, there's so much salt around Perez. If Hamilton or Dutch Jesus did that you would be screaming "What a driver he is, with passion for victory", even Hulkenberg would be forgiven.

I think he did well, 4th position for Force India is consolidated, he just couldn't risk losing his 4th and 5th with Vettel and Ocon and risking his 7th (almost 6th) place in the Drivers Championship just because they had a potential and somewhat remote chance to achieve a 3rd. And simply, at the end of the race Ocon was trying to pass Perez and he couldn't, it's clear that he would not be able to pass Daniel.

Wasn't a team order like a cancer in Formula 1 for you, guys? What happened now?

Finally, Perez mission this year is to make top teams look at him, this can make or break a move to a top team depending on their vision.

You're missing the context of the team order. It's already been explained.

As to the final comment on Perez, yes, the only real viable seat is Ferrari if he wants to move up to a big team again and they will look at things like today; if he pulled off that sort of thing at Ferrari he would wake up next to a severed horses head. That is the sort of thing Ferrari would specifically NOT hire you because of, FI might be ok that they scored a 5th and 6th, Ferrari would drag drivers over the coals for letting a driver past both their cars if that driver potentially held the other up and put both cars in the firing line of the opposition.

Zeknurn

The Oracle was right yet again.

Now the question is if Red Bull will continue with Renault or jump ship to Honda and do the work to fix their power unit.

Please excuse my engine ignorance with this one, but how in the fuck does a crankshaft just randomly go through the motherfucking floor?

Honda.

Mohonky

Now the question is if Red Bull will continue with Renault or jump ship to Honda and do the work to fix their power unit.

hahaha, no way. Redbull were threatening to leave with an OK engine and they are still bitching with a mostly reliable but not quite Merc or Ferrari spec engine. If they had a Honda they'd have quit already.

Eddie said McLaren would switch to Mercedes and that Mercedes would pull out of F1 as a team after the 2018 season.

Honda to buy back their old team.

Not a good idea considering a lot of teams sacrifice straight line speed for more cornering speed by putting more wing.

There is reason it's almost always midfield teams with a downforce deficit that top speed traps.

I think it would be quite easy to implement something along those lines even if it wasn't as simple as the lap time cutoff, for example you could base it on deviation from the average. McLarens were 5mph slower than any other team in Canada

KdotIX

Why would Mercedes want to leave F1?

Could see a few reasons: Its way too expensive for one, engines are complex and cost a lot to produce, they could be planning a full works team in Formula E to go in line with the German govt. mandate that all new cars should be electric from 2020 onward, compete with other German manufacturers in Formula E and then have the tech filter down to their road cars.

Then theres the counter points: They have top brand exposure in F1, they have 2 very good drivers and a very promising young driver squad, they are at the top of F1, they receive incentives for participating in F1 (which could be scrapped for all in the future), they've invested heavily into the sport so it wouldn't make sense to stop now

Zeknurn

hahaha, no way. Redbull were threatening to leave with an OK engine and they are still bitching with a mostly reliable but not quite Merc or Ferrari spec engine. If they had a Honda they'd have quit already.

Red Bull wants works status and there's currently only one way to achieve that. I have no doubt they're looking at it as a serious option.

Why would Mercedes want to leave F1?

Cost
They've achieved what they set out to do.
F1 is becoming irrelevant for road car production

Would be my guesses.

Yagami_Sama

Imagine if Mclaren Mercedes, win a race this season.Things would lool even worse for Honda, and imagine if McLaren Mercedes had the same performance as the actual car, would be quite a shame for McLaren. But lets see, I don't think that McLaren performance could be worse than already is.

For some reason I thought that Wax sympathize with McLaren, but his thing is with Honda.

Mohonky

Red Bull wants works status and there's currently only one way to achieve that. I have no doubt they're looking at it as a serious option.
They had works status with Renaul for years, then they pissed it away when they threatened to walk from the sport because it wasnt good enough and they started throwing demands at the FIA trying to force Merc or Ferrari not only to give them engines but they had to get exactly the same engine both teams ran each weekend. Merc and Ferrari politely told them to go fuck themselves on that and by the time they were ready to accept being an engine customer Merc and Ferrari flat out said no.

So in the end Renault came back in and Redbull have an usual agreement where they developed a part of the engine and dropped the Renault label.

They screwed themselves from works status and never stopped complaining and threatening to walk even when what they had was a far more reliable and powerful PU than the Honda unit, why do you think they'll take up a Honda PU that is not just known for being the least powerful on the grid but also does not last even a single race?

KdotIX

Finished watching the Le Mans documentary on Amazon and it was great. Went into the history, the rivalry, the technology and even the human element side of the sport.

I know that Audi has now pulled out of the sport, what was the reasoning behind this?

Also I know this years Le Mans 24hrs is on this weekend, is there a way I can watch it online?

Finished watching the Le Mans documentary on Amazon and it was great. Went into the history, the rivalry, the technology and even the human element side of the sport.

I know that Audi has now pulled out of the sport, what was the reasoning behind this?

Also I know this years Le Mans 24hrs is on this weekend, is there a way I can watch it online?
I think Audi pulled out because they were essentially paying to compete with themselves in Porsche. Probably cost Volkswagen a ton of money to fund both teams.

xrnzaaas

I think it was VAG's idea from the start to eventually have only one manufacturer in LMP1 (both Audi and Porsche are a part of VAG), but dieselgate probably sped things up (they also pulled VW from WRC even though they had a finished car for the next season).

Humidex

When your parent company VW has to set aside somewhere in the region of EUR 18bn on the back of Dieselgate, some sacrifices have to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom