• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgreez

Dear Liberty Media, Please hire Sir Stewart permanently ASAP.

That would get old but we've had some good interviewers this year

BTW, when did Hamilton do the/his fastest lap? Thought Vettel was doing the fastest laps at the end there.

Edit: Ah, lap 65 when everybody was watching Vettel, Ocon and Perez

Lyvn9mJ.gif
There's a good chance this isn't his first time drinking out of a shoe.

Fox Mulder

Thing is, just how much more would they need to develop a F1 engine considering they've already got an arrangement with Ricardo for their road cars?

The PUs are complicated. Renault and Honda aren't stupid companies. They've dumped hundreds of millions into development that has failed to be competitive at best.

Zaru

Funny coincidence how the 1-2 Ferrari vs 4-7 Mercedes in Monaco now got exactly mirrored into a 1-2 Mercedes vs. 4-7 Ferrari in Montreal

Razgreez

Funny coincidence how the 1-2 Ferrari vs 4-7 Mercedes in Monaco now got exactly mirrored into a 1-2 Mercedes vs. 4-7 Ferrari in Montreal

Make's you wonder

: said:

Then again that last second victory of Hamilton in 2008 (to win the WDC) in Brazil as Glock had issues... XD

FI Otmar Szafnauer in a bit of denial there in the interview

Back in the 80s, I think what Perez did to Ocon would have caused a fight in the garage after the race. What a disaster.
Great recovery drive by Seb. We didnt see Lewis the entire race, but the fact he finished 20 seconds ahead of Bottas tells us he didnt put a foot wrong the whole race.

M52B28

Banned
This Canadian Grand Prix is what the rest of the races need to be like, but with a tad bit more battling.

I'm glad Hamilton won, but him and Vettel fighting would have been classic.

So far, this is a very enjoyable season of Formula 1.

Pryce

Seb and Hamilton are just so much better than anyone right now. It's not even close (I don't count Alonso as one needs to be able to finish a race at least...)

I wouldn't mind seeing Ocon in red at some point...

YourMaster

Seb and Hamilton are just so much better than anyone right now. It's not even close (I don't count Alonso as one needs to be able to finish a race at least...)

Nah, just Mercedes and Ferrari are so much better than anyone else right now. Sure, they are out-driving their team-mates, but in Hamiltons case over the season not by much.
Verstappen for example did easily outperform Vettel yesterday in the few laps his car held out.

Baku isn't the same weekend as Le Mans again? Sweet.

Sainz got a 3 spot penalty for his crash, and meh, I guess that's reasonable. What he did was insanely dangerous and that could have been a lot worse. Massa got knocked out from almost certain points, and Grosjean somehow managed to scrape up a point despite having to pit on lap 1 (though at the cost of Alonso's point) and going the entire race without stopping again.
Ocon's a cool guy, I'd be throwing everyone under the bus.
He said outright that FI lost a podium because of this. That's about as brutal as you can get.

xrnzaaas

Man Perez acted like an asshole. He could've let Ocon through, give him a few laps to try and then switch back. I wonder if showing he isn't really a team player will impact his chances for a Ferrari seat.

And Alonso absolutely giving no fucks - brilliant. I doubt we'll see him in F1 next year.

dl77

Alonso wants out but where exactly?

Think he's just trying to push Honda and McLaren on. Honestly think this might be his last season in F1 unless there's big improvements over the next few months.

Mercedes and Ferrari have no need for him and I doubt either team would want him up against their No1 driver and Red Bull will be happy with their lineup. After that, someone of Alonso's caliber won't want to drive for any of the other teams.

If McLaren do make a deal with Mercedes even then I'm still not sure what he'll do. They're currently subsidized by Honda to around $100m. If they move to Merc engines they'll lose that and have to pay a $20-25m engine bill meaning they'd be $120m+ down before they've even started machining parts. Are they really going to pay Alonso's rumoured $40m a year salary in that case? Plus, a customer engine, no matter if it has technical parity, is never going to be able to be integrated as well as one that's been designed from the ground up for the manufacturers car.

Think he's just trying to push Honda and McLaren on. Honestly think this might be his last season in F1 unless there's big improvements over the next few months.

Mercedes and Ferrari have no need for him and I doubt either team would want him up against their No1 driver and Red Bull will be happy with their lineup. After that, someone of Alonso's caliber won't want to drive for any of the other teams.

If McLaren do make a deal with Mercedes even then I'm still not sure what he'll do. They're currently subsidized by Honda to around $100m. If they move to Merc engines they'll lose that and have to pay a $20-25m engine bill meaning they'd be $120m+ down before they've even started machining parts. Are they really going to pay Alonso's rumoured $40m a year salary in that case? Plus, a customer engine, no matter if it has technical parity, is never going to be able to be integrated as well as one that's been designed from the ground up for the manufacturers car.

While the Honda money is good, they also lost a lot of money in sponsorship and constructors points. At some point it's a zero-sum game.

Mohonky

Just finished watching; Perez wtf are you doing? I usually like Perez but that was absolutely idiotic. He absolutely cost Force India atleast a 4th and 5th and potentially a podium.

I kmow he is trying to impress but thats the sort of thing Redbull, Mercedes and Ferrari would hang their drivers for. He cost the team good places with his performance. Not good at all.

Hamilton needed that win today to keep the title going so happy for the performance.

Max was like a scolded cat off the line, espcially when its such a short run to turn 1.

Honda continue to be absolutely shit house. The only good thing is that fans are routinely getting up close and personal with Fernando with all the stopping at the side of the track.

dl77

While the Honda money is good, they also lost a lot of money in sponsorship and constructors points. At some point it's a zero-sum game.

Yup. I think Ron Dennis was immensely stupid to try and hold out for a premium name for sponsorship. That's a lot of money that could have helped the entire team that they lost out on because of his arrogance.

Yup. I think Ron Dennis was immensely stupid to try and hold out for a premium name for sponsorship. That's a lot of money that could have helped the entire team that they lost out on because of his arrogance.

What's funny is that it could've been the money they need now to pay for the Mercedes engines.

Donos

Missed this race and it looks like it was a lot of fun. Do i read that right?...Alonso out again? Man, it must be embarrassing in the Mclaren/Honda pit box with the engineers.

hamchan

Since Dan probably won't win a race because Red Bull this season, his decision to bring out the shooey for awesome celebs is the right one.

Well done lad.

Mastah

Just finished watching; Perez wtf are you doing? I usually like Perez but that was absolutely idiotic. He absolutely cost Force India atleast a 4th and 5th and potentially a podium.

I kmow he is trying to impress but thats the sort of thing Redbull, Mercedes and Ferrari would hang their drivers for. He cost the team good places with his performance. Not good at all..

What's your opinion about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH5zd618kak

Mohonky

Max has always been a whiny little bitch, one of the reasons he's a tosser. The way Redbull picks their 'goldenboy' drivers and let them get away with that shit has always been an issue with that team, Seb was the same. Not sure what you're getting at.

There's the point where you're fighting for WDC and team orders impact you so you second guess the order, and then there is a point where you aren't and you're actions affect the entire team. Perez was just being stupid today which isn't a good look when the only place he could potentially move forward is looking at Ferrari, a team that would absolutely crucify him for what he did today.

Mastah

Max has always been a whiny little bitch, one of the reasons he's a tosser. The way Redbull picks their 'goldenboy' drivers and let them get away with that shit has always been an issue with that team, Seb was the same. Not sure what you're getting at.

There's the point where you're fighting for WDC and team orders impact you so you second guess the order, and then there is a point where you aren't and you're actions affect the entire team. Perez was just being stupid today which isn't a good look when the only place he could potentially move forward is looking at Ferrari, a team that would absolutely crucify him for what he did today.

When Massa refused to let Bottas by in Malaysia 2014, so VB could have a go at Button, you wrote this:

Massa doing the right thing not letting him through. Good man. Bottas isnt close enough to justify it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106298009&postcount=2966

So what it is, one is an idiot costing his team places, but the other is doing the right thing in exactly the same situation?

They are all selfish bastards and most of them wouldn't let their team mates by, unless there is very significant pace difference,.

Now, from team perspective, that's a different story. Team order yesterday would probably be a right move, but it has to be a firm decision. Team radio from team/deputy team principal, no further discussion. What we heard was like live negotiations between drivers and their race engineers and that's not how TO should be executed.

Jezbollah

When Massa refused to let Bottas by in Malaysia 2014, so VB could have a go at Button, you wrote this:

So what it is, one is an idiot costing his team places, but the other is doing the right thing in exactly the same situation?

They are all selfish bastards and most of them wouldn't let their team mates by, unless there is very significant pace difference,.

Now, from team perspective, that's a different story. Team order yesterday would probably be a right move, but it has to be a firm decision. Team radio from team/deputy team principal, no further discussion. What we heard was like live negotiations between drivers and their race engineers and that's not how TO should be executed.

That's some pretty impressive data mining. How long did it take for you to research that?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
That was an entertaining race. Congrats to Stroll for scoring his first points and at his home track too. Sure, he got lucky with some retirements but he ultimately drove a clean race. Hopefully this will give him the confidence boost needed to turn his form around.

I don't blame Perez for what he did he's a racer and he wanted to race. But I'm not the one to ask about that sort of thing, as I hate anything remotely resembling team orders.

It looks like Formula 3 might become a one-make category in 2020.
https://www.motorsport.com/eurof3/news/f3-could-become-one-make-formula-from-2020-917791/
This is a little sad for me, F3 is the only junior series that isn't completely spec. There used to be multiple chassis manufacturers as well, but Dallara proved to be too good. I would wager that Mercedes would become the sole engine supplier.

Zaru

This is a little sad for me, F3 is the only junior series that isn't completely spec. There used to be multiple chassis manufacturers as well, but Dallara proved to be too good. I would wager that Mercedes would become the sole engine supplier.

Is there much of a point in having a junior series that's not spec, though? You want to find the great drivers not the great machinery.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Is there much of a point in having a junior series that's not spec, though? You want to find the great drivers not the great machinery.

This is true, but top teams will always rise to the top even in spec series. Just look at all the Prema domination. I guess I just like a junior series that is a little unique, I think there are too many series that are interchangeable with each other.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just watched my first Grand Prix in 20 years, only took 5 mins and it was like I was never away.

Now the hard part, figuring out who I should cheer for...........

Zaru

Just watched my first Grand Prix in 20 years, only took 5 mins and it was like I was never away.

Now the hard part, figuring out who I should cheer for...........

Thankfully, now that Bernie is gone, you get to see a bit more of the driver and team personalities.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Thankfully, now that Bernie is gone, you get to see a bit more of the driver and team personalities.

Yea I was really impressed by how involved it all is now, the last GP I watched was the Japanese GP, IIRC it was when Mika Hakkinen won the title in 95 or 96.

Zaru

Yea I was really impressed by how involved it all is now, the last GP I watched was the Japanese GP, IIRC it was when Mika Hakkinen won the title in 95 or 96.

98/99. You last watched when a brit and a finn in the silver arrows were fighting a german in a Ferrari. Well, nothing changed in that regard! Though seeing McLaren in such a horrible state must be weird.

Nah, just Mercedes and Ferrari are so much better than anyone else right now. Sure, they are out-driving their team-mates, but in Hamiltons case over the season not by much.
Verstappen for example did easily outperform Vettel yesterday in the few laps his car held out.

Well, he destroyed Vettel.. literally.

Markitron

98/99. You last watched when a brit and a finn in the silver arrows were fighting a german in a Ferrari. Well, nothing changed in that regard! Though seeing McLaren in such a horrible state must be weird.

It was actually yea!

Yagami_Sama

Is there any record regarding the most number of DNF per season ? Because if things keep like that, Alonso has a great chance of be the holder of this "achievement".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom