• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
If they are "new at this" or haven't received proper training, why is the track allowed to host F1? Marshals should be held to a high standard.

Besides, they could've brought people in to help them. Abu Dhabi brought in some British and European marshals IIRC, to help them out.

They did just fine

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm actually getting rather frustrated with this topic because very few people here are willing to give so much as a millimetre to rival drivers. Jumping on everything a rival says and does, complete unwillingness to compromise or admit fault in any discussion.

We have seen it in force today from both Hamilton and Vettel fans and it makes discussion in here almost impossible. I may well not bother posting in here during the next race because despite having a fun and crazy Grand Prix we yet again have a very negative atmosphere in here.

I usually tune out right after the race because there are only arguments left :p

Xando

If they are "new at this" or haven't received proper training, why is the track allowed to host F1? Marshals should be held to a high standard.

Besides, they could've brought people in to help them. Abu Dhabi brought in some British and European marshals IIRC, to help them out.

To be fair the problem wasn't the marshalls but the lack of opportunities to get the car away (same problem happens in Monaco and to a lesser extend singapore).

paskowitz

IMO I would have given Hamilton a 10-second stop-and-go penalty and Vettel a 5 spot grid penalty. Possibly more for Vettel but I don't know what the stewards saw.

There was like one case when a car needed to moved out of the track. The real problem was that there was no coordination of cleaning the track despite a SC.

spuckthew

What a fucking crazy race. Disappointed in the overall result, but Ricciardo recovering well and seeing Stroll on the podium is a silver lining of sorts.

Vettel's move was totally stupid. No idea if Hamilton brake-tested him like he claims, but what Vettel did was completely transparent from the replay footage. I would have loved to see him get DSQ, but a 10-second stop/go hopefully acknowledges that Vettel was primarily to blame. Vettel coming out ahead of Hamilton after the penalty just added insult to injury.

Utterly livid at the headrest thing. Hamilton would have cruised to victory if it weren't for that.

Hopefully Hamilton can bounce back in Austria.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Say what you like about Kravitz, but his comment about "dealing with alternative facts" is absolutely right.

So weird, he genuinely doesn't even seem like he knows he did the side swipe...

John_B

Vettel is having a meltdown today. His admission of doing it on purpose should cost him a grid penalty for next race. In other sports you are absolutely banned for doing dangerous stuff on purpose.

Zaru

Craziest race of the season. If anyone bet on that podium they'd be rich now.
Can't believe I was cheering for Stroll at some point.
I want Vettel to win the championship over Lewis but that angry stunt was disgraceful.

Verstappen, Massa and the force Indias will chew on today's missed opportunities for quite a while.

Everybody's saying Vettel 'accidentally' hit Hamilton because he wasn't holding his steering wheel... But I only see one hand from the steering wheel, not two.
The contact was caused by his decision to pull alongside Hamilton and gesticulate angrily. Whether the contact was deliberate or not, it still stemmed from reckless driving and it's still a bad look for him.

Theorry

My view on the incident. I am not a "fan" of both. So i think i am not biased on that.

Lewis slowed down indeed. But it was not that much. Also when you see the replays. Lewis isnt paying attention to Vettel really. Watching mirrors etc so i doubt he was planning a brake check.

Vettel was also really close to Hamilton his rear. Like really close. So it was his own risk of being so close.

After that Vettel passed him and side swept Hamilton. Thats pretty clear. Hamilton only was going straight. Again not even paying attention to Vettel really. And then bam Vettel comes from the left and slams him.

JDB

Banned
KEeEPsW.gif

BigAl1992

Watching this thread as a neutral fan has been hilarious to watch today, and I won't need to buy any salt for dinner tonight from all the Hamilton and Vettel fans today. Also, Stroll. Fucking HELL. I'm actually impressed by his performance today. He did extremely well.

Grug

Vettel is having a meltdown today. His admission of doing it on purpose should cost him a grid penalty for next race. In other sports you are absolutely banned for doing dangerous stuff on purpose.

When did he admit he did it on purpose?

Are you referring to the Sky interview? Because he was talking about the rear contact when he said "he slowed down so I hit him".

It's not the first time that the stewards give relative weak punishment for something if the other driver was at fault at well.

Also without Lewis unrelated exta pit stop he would have gained more than with at least a 10s penalty (break testing and causing a collision) and a DSQ for Vettel.

A gif would better show what was going on. Hamilton was working his tires and brakes like everyone else does behind a safety car. Vettel was too aggressive before it was actual go time.

Braking after a slow corner is not a way of getting heat in your tyres. We haven't seen that move in all SC phases for a reason.

Business

The contact was caused by his decision to pull alongside Hamilton and gesticulate angrily. Whether the contact was deliberate or not, it still stemmed from reckless driving and it's still a bad look for him.

Today's penalty is a joke, he got what others get for racing incidents. Then again he got away with yelling fuck off to the race director so it shouldn't be a surprise. A true gentleman, again.

John_B

Breaking after a slow corner is not a way of getting heat in your tyres. We haven't seen that move in all SC phase for a reason.
Look at his onboard. Exact same pattern for hundreds of meters before Vettel went into the back of his car. There was no brake test from Hamilton.

Look at his onboard. Exact same pattern for hundreds of meters before Vettel went into the back of his car. There was no brake test from Hamilton.

Well, it wasn't a break testing in the sense that he wanted Vettel to drive into him that would be quite silly. It was an attempt of getting a gap to the SC in a point and not give the other drivers the oppurtunity to gain any momentum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M2PcFEqhYc

It's just Vettel's onboard but you can see the braking happened (see the screenshot above) at the exit of the corner. That's not something you normally do.

John_B

Well, it wasn't a break testing in the sense that he wanted Vettel to drive into him that would be quite silly. It was an attempt of getting a gap to the SC in a point and not give the other drivers the oppurtunity to gain any momentum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M2PcFEqhYc

It's just Vettel's onboard but you can see the braking happened (see the screenshot above) at the exit of the corner. That's not something you normally do.
Standard stuff that all leaders do when the Safety Car period ends. Also notice how Vettel doesn't keep a gap to Hamilton like everyone else in the frame does.

Sorry, but Vettel was in the wrong even if Hamilton could have handled the leading a bit better.

Standard stuff that all leaders do when the Safety Car period ends. Also notice how Vettel doesn't keep a gap to Hamilton like everyone else in the frame does.

Sorry, but Vettel was in the wrong even if Hamilton could have handled the leading a bit better.

It's still racing so not keeping a gap is not really an excuse. In fact we see that all the time when the SC is coming in.

paskowitz

Upon second look, Vettel was indeed too close. I still think Hamilton shouldn't have braked at that point of the corner, but otherwise, Seb could have avoided that by being half a length back.

Lego Boss

If you are in the road and you hit the back of someone. . . .

It's YOUR fault.

How does he get a superlicence not knowing this?

Rules don't apply?

#blessed will boss it now. He was in tears of rage after that.

He won't forgive.

If you are in the road and you hit the back of someone. . . .

It's YOUR fault.

How does he get a superlicence not knowing this?

Rules don't apply?

#blessed will boss it now. He was in tears of rage after that.

He won't forgive.

"in the road" is the key part here. There is a reason why brake testing as dangerous driving is a term in racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom