• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodelero

I think there is a reasonable enough doubt that the contact was unintentional. Vettel is firey but he is also a rules geek. Quite possible he just wanted to pull up beside and gesticulate.

*shrug*

It's just as disturbing if its unintentional surely? A four times World Driver's Champion is incapable of controlling their car - on a straight - to the degree that they violently veer into another car?

Vettel CONTINUES to be in denial. More than anything that illustrates why the punishment is insufficient.

Grug

That journo just blew the interview with Seb. She needed to clarify she was talking about the side contact and not the original rear-ending.

kiyomi

Crazy and super enjoyable race, and with the added bonus people in this thread coming out of the woodworks to share some awful opinions so that I can add them to my ignore list! Hooray!

Orbis

I think there is a reasonable enough doubt that the contact was unintentional. Vettel is firey but he is also a rules geek. Quite possible he just wanted to pull up beside and gesticulate.

*shrug*
I think you're absolutely right, I don't think there's a single driver on the grid who would deliberately crash into someone so blatantly. Seb lost his cool, was too focused on gesturing to Lewis and made an error in the process. Idiotic moment but not deliberate.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Matt Howson‏ @MHowsonRacing 35m
Young talent Dan Ticktum received a 2 year ban for similar action [to Vettel] in Formula 4, a 10 sec penalty from the stewards is weak and inconsistent

Not sure I agree entirely given the nature of the incidents, but 2 years vs 10s quite the disparity

Ticktum overtook 10 cars under the safety car to catch up with Collard and then speared him off the road at Luffield where there were marshals recovering the cars which had caused the safety car in the first place.

What Vettel did was stupid, but it wasn't anywhere near as serious as what Ticktum did.

Both Vettel and Hamilton have got priors for causing contact and driving excessively slowly under safety cars.

They should both be looking at bans.

Grug

It's just as disturbing if its unintentional surely?

Arguably, but they don't apply a "disturbing" test when enforcing the regulations.

The punishment for an intentional act should be more severe than for an "accidental" one.

Will be interesting to see if the stewards explain their thinking in more detail.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
My summary:

* Shame about VER and his car issues.
* I think BOT was at fault with his hit against RAI. I'd give it a drive-thru.
* I think OCO should've left more space for PER, but wouldn't penalize this. Race incident.
* Not convinced HAM did anything wrong during the SC.
* I'd have black-flagged VET for his reaction though.
* I agree with forcing HAM in to fix his headrest.
* They really need to improve recovery at Baku. More wall gaps, more cranes, better cleaning equipment.

McNum

Wtf at the podium.

Guess I have to watch this one.
Honestly, probably race of the year so far. Just be ready to fast forward some safety cars and a red flag if you do.

What a mad race. So bad. So good. Not Formula One at its best, but definitely doing bad in entertaining ways.

Ticktum overtook 10 cars under the safety car to catch up with Collard and then speared him off the road at Luffield where there were marshals recovering the cars which had caused the safety car in the first place.

What Vettel did was stupid, but it wasn't anywhere near as serious as what Ticktum did.

"Not sure I agree entirely given the nature of the incidents"

kiyomi

My summary:

* Shame about VER and his car issues.
* I think BOT was at fault with his hit against RAI. I'd give it a drive-thru.
* I think OCO should've left more space for PER, but wouldn't penalize this. Race incident.
* Not convinced HAM did anything wrong during the SC.
* I'd have black-flagged VET for his reaction though.
* I agree with forcing HAM in to fix his headrest.
* They really need to improve recovery at Baku. More wall gaps, more cranes, better cleaning equipment.

Pretty much agree with all this. Marshalling was really poor, should be held to a higher standard.

tomtom94

The most recent case that I can remember of a driver hitting another deliberately was Maldonado on Hamilton, Belgium 2011. That was a five-place grid drop; bear in mind it's likely to be less severe because it was in qualifying not the race.

I think Vettel should have been black-flagged, personally, but ultimately if Hamilton's headrest hadn't come off it would have probably worked out about right.

roytheone

This has to be an awkward situation for red bull. On the one had you want to celebrate the victory, but you also need to be extremely humble and apologetic to verstappen at the same time.

dakun

The most recent case that I can remember of a driver hitting another deliberately was Maldonado on Hamilton, Belgium 2011. That was a five-place grid drop; bear in mind it's likely to be less severe because it was in qualifying not the race.

I think Vettel should have been black-flagged, personally, but ultimately if Hamilton's headrest hadn't come off it would have probably worked out about right.

and then there was Schumacher who was stripped his 2nd place result in the WDC.

Moozo

HAM goes in on VET:
"I think he disgraced himself today. If he wants to prove he's a man we should do it out of the car, face to face."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom